D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion:"the legacy,the history..means a lot"(893)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 am

thisbjgz wrote:You guys sound like a bunch of school girls who finally found their crush on the high school soccer team players.

lol oh how Lakerland changes

So does that make you sound like the bitter ex girlfriend who was dumped by the players?

I'm not in on all the swing one way or the other on Dwight right now but I don't see the value of your attack on them because they believe Dwight has turned the corner mentally.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:04 am

To be fair to myself, I'm neither sold on him or sold out on him. :man10:

I was just trying to stay neutral in the first place... Although I do think that if he's ever turned a corner mentally, it's now. There's literally no more chances left for him to have a cathartic moment, so hopefully he's done it by now.

I was watching some older Shaq games and the difference I'm seeing is the intensity in Shaq's eyes. He still had fun, he still goofed off, but the most important thing was winning. Winning was fun. As long as that's happening, goof off all you want, I couldn't care less. It's just important to remember that Shaq was drafted in '92. He became a Laker in '96. And he didn't win a Championship until 2000. It's frustrating watching Dwight not develop into a Champion over night, but all things relative we're asking a lot to have someone make that jump in literally less than a season. It took LeBron a year in Miami. It took Shaq 4 years of being a Laker.

Sometimes it's good to take a step back and realize we asked Dwight to turn into a champion in one summer.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 pm

tradezzz himmzzz for anyonezzz!!!!!1!11!!!11!!1!
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm

19/16 with 2 blocks. Played good D. Played with passion once again. His FT shooting still sucks. Oh well.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:16 pm

improving from game to game...looking forward resigning him and him dominanting when he becomes fully healthy...
escobar8

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 pm

karacha wrote:19/16 with 2 blocks. Played good D. Played with passion once again. His FT shooting still sucks. Oh well.

He had two HUGE blocks in that 4th quarter. He was active and working hard all game long. It's fun to see him so focused.

I hope his shoulder is feeling alright tonight.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jellincon on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Brought a shovel and pail into the paint tonight.
Jellincon

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 pm

i was very happy to see him play through the pain and still play effectively. gary vitti do your magic
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 pm

900 :jam2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:01 am

I'm proud of him for playing through the pain in the 2nd half.

He was still effective. That's mental & physical tenacity. That shows he's a guy we can count on. :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 am

:man4: :man4: I think I've even spotted hints of a post game. Uhh.....limited post game. :man12: Maybe this guy can be something when he gets his big shoulders back. :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby scheven on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 am

Kevin Ding:
Asked by @janiscarr for his thoughts about Jerry Buss memorial, Dwight stated just how affected he was: "I want ...
to be how Jerry Buss was. Everybody had something great to say."

It had Dwight introspective after the game regarding his legacy: "Make people have a more positive outlook on life. ... I hate negativity. I hate being around it."

Dwight brought up how his mother had seven miscarriages and he was supposed to be No. 8: "We're blessed to be living. ... I could've been one of those kids who didn't make it."
scheven

Postby venky on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:01 am

Two games in a row where he has brought something fierce. Keep it up.
venky

Postby BDG on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 am

Dwight brought up how his mother had seven miscarriages and he was supposed to be No. 8: "We're blessed to be living. ... I could've been one of those kids who didn't make it."
Wowww...

Never knew this. That's crazy.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:35 am

BDG wrote:
Wowww...

:man3:

wow...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:39 am

I've been really critic of Dwight throughout the season, but I've really loved the efford he's been putting in these two game after the All-Star Break.

Not really 100%, but a lot more engaged. And finally I'm starting to lose a little bit that fear of him getting stripped everytime he gets the ball in the post.

He can really be a game changer on defense when he wants to. His help defense was key... LaMarcus would've torched us without him.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:00 am

Dwight had a Bynum/Sasha moment last night with MWP. If he would have screamed, "Give me the effing ball" instead of clapping his hands, it would have been all the better.

Of course Ron trolls him and nails a 3. :man10:

Still though it's nice to see Dwight actually demanding for the ball, instead of standing on the weak side the whole game only to complain about not getting the ball.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:04 am

therealdeal wrote:
BDG wrote:
Wowww...

:man3:

wow...

I remember they mentioned this on one of the national games a couple of years ago. They said when his mom was expecting Dwight, she remained in bed the whole time because she didn't want to lose another.
D.B. Cooper

Postby revgen on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:49 am

Doc Brown wrote:Dwight had a Bynum/Sasha moment last night with MWP. If he would have screamed, "Give me the effing ball" instead of clapping his hands, it would have been all the better.

Of course Ron trolls him and nails a 3. :man10:

Still though it's nice to see Dwight actually demanding for the ball, instead of standing on the weak side the whole game only to complain about not getting the ball.

I was pissed off when that happened. Sure, Ron made the shot, but you have to reward the big man for running the floor and sealing his man.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 am

LOS ANGELES -- He met him once and tried to glean what he could. But former Los Angeles Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss was already very sick when Dwight Howard went to visit him this fall in the hospital where Buss would ultimately die.

And so Howard had a singular focus Thursday afternoon when he attended Buss' memorial service.

"It might sound like I didn't care, but I really wasn't paying attention to who was in the room," Howard said after the Lakers' 111-107 win over the Portland Trail Blazers on Friday night at Staples Center. "I was really just listening to everything that was said about Dr. Buss and what kind of person he was.

"He left a legacy. I was thinking the whole service -- I want to be how Jerry Buss was. He changed this city. Those are things I want people to say about me when I leave this earth."

Not a lot of kind things have been said about Howard these past two seasons. He has been called immature and selfish. He has alienated fans in Orlando and Los Angeles with his words and his actions.

But as he sat in a star-studded audience Thursday afternoon listening to the impact one man can have on the world, something seemed to crystallize in Howard's mind. A vision for himself. An affirmation of his values. Perhaps even reason for all that he has been through these past two years.

"There's a lot of negative things that take place in the world," Howard said. "I would like to see positive things happen as well. There's a lot of negativity always going around. I don't think it's good. I think as role models we have the opportunities to change the perception, make people have a more positive outlook on life. I just hate negativity. I hate being around it. I hate anybody that's not positive."

So what does he hope his legacy will be?

"My legacy? Well ... Great man. Changed the world," Howard said. "Somebody that never let things that people attacked him with change who he was as a person and a player. I believe I can do that. Motivate a city and a team to win. That's what he did. I'm going to continue look at [Dr. Buss] and guys who did something special like that. Phil Jackson, all the guys who won. It's all about winning."

It was moment of genuine introspection. A moment when you thought that maybe something had changed in Howard as he sat in that audience Thursday afternoon, listening to legends tell stories of a great man.

It might be a coincidence. But the fact that this moment has come after Howard's best two games as a Laker -- he had 19 points, 16 rebounds and two blocks in the Lakers' win over the Blazers on Friday -- feels as if it means something.

Did Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak's show of unconditional support for him Wednesday morning touch him?

Did Buss' legacy?

It's hard to say what combination of emotions and self-reflection brought Howard to this place. But listening to him talk Friday, it felt as if the place he was in was a good one.

He took ownership of his failures. He acknowledged his responsibilities to this team and the Lakers franchise.

"I think it starts with me," Howard said with surprising candor. "I have to really come out every night with the same intensity and the same effort. When I get tired, I can ask coach to take me out. I think it starts with me. I have to do a better job of playing hard. I'm going to try."

He sounded different. Genuine. Connected. Changed.

"All I could think about [Thursday at Buss' memorial] was his legacy, what he stood for, how he changed the whole culture of the NBA, sports, L.A.," Howard said. "It meant a lot to me to hear what people were saying about him and thinking about everything I've seen since I've been here, since I've been a Laker."

It was one nice moment at the end of an emotional week. One night. One game.

But if he really means it, there could be many more.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... good-place. Written by Ramona Shelburne.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 am

"I think it starts with me," Howard said with surprising candor. "I have to really come out every night with the same intensity and the same effort. When I get tired, I can ask coach to take me out. I think it starts with me. I have to do a better job of playing hard. I'm going to try."

He sounded different. Genuine. Connected. Changed.

"All I could think about [Thursday at Buss' memorial] was his legacy, what he stood for, how he changed the whole culture of the NBA, sports, L.A.," Howard said. "It meant a lot to me to hear what people were saying about him and thinking about everything I've seen since I've been here, since I've been a Laker."

I heard him say this last night. The part about being responsible and I thought wow that's the first time he's said something like that since he got here. It's the first time he didn't say "we as a team have to do this or that". He said "I". He took responsibility and he said that he knows the game starts and stops with him and Kobe. As the two best players it's on them to bring it every single night and to give the team the energy they need to be successful.

But I think most of all he might be learning that winning is the most fun. Winning is the thing that separates you from everything else. Dr. Buss's funeral would still have remained touching. He still would have had a lot of great speakers say a lot of great things. But the one thread that connects Jerry West to Magic Johnson to Shaquille O'Neal to Kobe Bryant is the fact that Dr. Buss wanted to win every bit as much as they did. That's why legends in the industry stood up for him, teared up for him, and came to work for the Lakers even after they retired.

If Dwight can understand that, then we just might make this team work. It's about 50 games too late, but if Dwight can understand what it means to be a Laker, then maybe the future isn't as rocky as everybody thought. Because the Dwight of the last two games looks unstoppable again and he's FAR from healthy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:03 am

Dwight will be fine. I have even overreacted at times and wanted to trade him. However, taking the emotional element out of it & seeing things rationally, he can be a great piece on a championship team. He's still learning and growing as an individual & as a player playing for an organizations & fans that all want to win. It's a learning process. We have to be patient. It will come together...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 am

These are the things I've wanted to hear from Dwight all along, give full effort, appreciate what it means to be a Laker. I'm done being negative about him this season, he's here to stay and there's no point in that, I only want him to do well, it's all I have ever wanted, that's why I've been so angry at his lack of effort and attitude. Seeing his recent play, his effort, playing through pain, the things he's said, gives me some hope going forward that was completely gone a week ago.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 7cody on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 am

If Dwight is serious about keeping up this level of effort, then good things will happen. We'll be a great team if he does his job well.
7cody

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 am

Like day & night this guy has become an amazing presence on both ends of the court. He is playing MUCH harder & it is showing. You can see the passion, the energy & the focus he is bringing to the team. Slowed down a bit after the shoulder hit but still had 2 major blocks in the 4th. Been a Howard supporter all along & I knew he would come around sooner or later, even his interviews are much more positive! Keep it up big fella! :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard