D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: Griffin for Dwight?... Naaaa (1011)

Postby khmrP on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:06 pm

OX1947 wrote:Howard for two 24 year old budding superstars? With Kobe still wanting to play and Gasol being about to play center all year? Might not be a bad deal to be honest.

uh not I'm against the trade but you must not watch games cause there's no "budding superstar" in Blodsoe game thats for sure....he's being overhyped due to several teams interest. He's just super athletic UNDERSIZED SG.
khmrP

Postby kenzo on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 pm

DuddlyDoRight wrote:
kenzo wrote:Anyone who thinks Blake will even scratch Dwight's potential is delusional.

What potential? Dwight is 27, he is what he is.

BG, DB and picks is a solid return for the big bricker.

Dwight can change the game with his D alone. He'll never be Hakeem on ofense but sure as hell he'll impact the game more than Biff EVER will. All of you look at his FT's and poor post moves but forget to mention he IS a beast on D. I don't see a reason he can't avg. 25/15/3. Can Blake do that? I don't think so
kenzo

Postby purp n gold on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:30 am

Kenzo, you're correct. But Dwight also does so many negative things on and off the court to negatively affect a team, not just a game. I think "is who he is" is a valid comment. There is a point to be made in that Dwight has not improved his game in four years. For a player entering his "prime" that is sort of a red flag.

Sure, I concede that he was probably seriously hurt this year and he'll come back very strong next year. But let's never forget that the 2012-13 version of Dwight is what we get when the man is faced with adversity.

Going forward? He's an uber athletic center who will not get injured in the next 5 years, right? Dwight does not have a lot of technique to fall back on. Any one who takes on Dwight should know that this sulky, whiny kid will inevitably come out when things don't go his way, injury or not.

If Dwight is indeed on his way out, Blake Griffin is one of the best assets the Lakers can get back. There is a market for Griffin.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:55 am

why on earth wouldn't atlanta make a pitch to howard? and if they're not, then what the hell are they doing clearing all that space? you do know there's a minimum salary level, right, atlanta?
abeer3

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 am

If & only if Dwight indicates that he'll walk, instead of committing to pay Griffin forever, what do you guys think of this:

Bos: Griffin, Butler, Blake
LAC: D12, Bradley, Bass
LAL: KG, Bledsoe, Jordan, Lee

2nd deal Doc Rivers for two 1st.

Boston gets a young star to rebuild around with Rondo & unloads Bass & Lee for expiring deals.

The Clips get to keep CP3 because they get Dwight. Bradley is a solid replacement for Bledsoe & Bass has played next to Dwight before & is a decent PF until they get a ringchaser. They get the coach they wanted. With those 2 stars & a great coach, they basically guarantee being a contender for the next 3-5 years.

We do it, only like I said, if Dwight is going to walk to Houston or something & lets us know we're going to be stuck with Asik Lin & picks or nothing. We don't get any young star to build around for the future but I think this is a good win now deal for us. Bledsoe isn't a star but he's one of the best guards in the league on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think he's ready to play enough minutes to put up the stats that we'll have to worry about a team throwing him huge money next year as a RFA. Maybe 3/24 or something.

I don't think there's many Lakers fans that haven't wanted to see KG & Kobe play together. Many of us were crushed when Minne accepted Jefferson over the package we were offering, but it worked out for us in the end to the tune of 2 rings.. Even if you hate him, you still have to respect KG & what he brings to a team.. I think he'd be a great fit next to Pau, & with Hill & Clark we have the depth to rest them both & try to make sure they're ready for the playoffs. The defensive mindset & culture that KG would bring is invaluable. Every player we get in the deal is a good defender. Lee's contract isn't ideal but he's a solid defender & a better backup SG than Meeks.

Obviously we'd try to dump Jordan & sign a cheap PF/C as the 5th big. The ideal situation would be trading him to a team with cap space for a starting SF on a rookie deal. In a dream world we'd trade him for MKG, Thad Young, or Dwill2.. Someone like that.. Or either Marion or VC + the 13. I'll say MKG for the sake of posting a great roster lol.. We kill our chances of having cap space next season unless KG retires, but we're probably better off waiting for the 15 offseason anyway, as Lebron is such a longshot in 14 & the rest of the crop aren't superstars.

Nash/Bledsoe
Kobe/Lee/Webster
MKG/Wright/MWP(2 years 2.5 per)
Pau/Clark
KG/Hill/FA

I think this is a good enough team that we don't have to worry about the fact that we gave the Clips D12. We don't have the star power that we would with Dwight, but we have a balanced roster with players that really compliment each other. Pau & KG are both between 2nd & 3rd options on a contender right now. Nash did well adjusting to playing off the ball & being more of a shooter towards the end. MKG isn't a scorer at all & should be perfectly happy as a 5th option that spends most of his energy on defense.. Having 2 bigs that can space the floor like Pau & KG should open up a ton of lanes for Kobe, MKG, & Bledsoe to get plenty of high percentage looks at the rim off penetration. I made it all this way without mentioning KG putting us in the running to sign Pierce for cheap when he gets bought out. If he chooses teaming up with KG over Doc, it obviously gives us even more of an edge over the Clips.
lakersin4

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 am

therealdeal wrote:Kevin Love.

Love has almost none of the physical tools that Griffin does and is already better than him.

Love isn't a great defender, but he's a decent one. He's already a much better rebounder. And don't even get started on his shooting. The Lakers are aiming for Love eventually and it'll happen because Love wants greatness more than Minnesota can offer.

this

if moving Dwight for Griffin and then flipping Griffin for Love, then i'm all for it
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 am

I'd rather just wait until we can get Love in 2015 when he demands a trade out of there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am

Im on the board of if Dwight doesn't stay then let him walk. I don't think anywhere Dwight wants to go would give us enough to put us back on top.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:54 am

Love has almost none of the physical tools that Griffin does and is already better than him.

Love isn't a great defender, but he's a decent one. He's already a much better rebounder. And don't even get started on his shooting. The Lakers are aiming for Love eventually and it'll happen because Love wants greatness more than Minnesota can offer.

I think Love is a terrific option next to D12 ... without D12 or a superior defensive anchor next to him , our D would be pretty bad ... I really think calling his D " decent " is generous ...

I like his game but he has to prove he can have as much impact on the game as his numbers suggest
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:

I think Love is a terrific option next to D12 ... without D12 or a superior defensive anchor next to him , our D would be pretty bad ... I really think calling his D " decent " is generous ...

I like his game but he has to prove he can have as much impact on the game as his numbers suggest

My point is only that he's better than Griffin when he's healthy.

The rest I agree with although his defense really is decent. It's a step above Gasol's because he actually tries. He's not a natural defender, but he tries.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Plot on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'd rather just wait until we can get Love in 2015 when he demands a trade out of there.

In that case, wouldn't the Griffin and Bledsoe haul be a good one if Dwight leaves? Griffin could be the centerpiece in a trade for Love so that the Lakers can attain his bird rights. Bledsoe's still on contract for next season so it's possible for Mitch turn him into more assets before the trade deadline.
Plot

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Plot wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I'd rather just wait until we can get Love in 2015 when he demands a trade out of there.

In that case, wouldn't the Griffin and Bledsoe haul be a good one if Dwight leaves? Griffin could be the centerpiece in a trade for Love so that the Lakers can attain his bird rights. Bledsoe's still on contract for next season so it's possible for Mitch turn him into more assets before the trade deadline.

Making a trade so that you can then flip those assets is dangerous. There's no guarantee that Minnesota wants Griffin. There's less guarantee that Griffin stays healthy and someone bites on that MASSIVE contract of his.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Plot on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Love's been pretty injury-prone as well though. I think as long as Rubio is on the Wolves, they would be interested in pairing him up with someone like Griffin.
Plot

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Plot wrote:

Making a trade so that you can then flip those assets is dangerous. There's no guarantee that Minnesota wants Griffin. There's less guarantee that Griffin stays healthy and someone bites on that MASSIVE contract of his.

It's also dangerous to reject a trade that nets you two "potential all stars" in the hopes that another player who is under contract through 2016 demands a trade in 2015. There's no guarantee Minnesota doesn't make the necessary improvements to convince Love to stay (especially with a less incompetent GM at the helm now and an improving Rubio). There's also no guarantee that we'd have the assets, both in regards to salary and talent, to make a trade with Minny.
Helljumper

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Bledsoe is not a potential all star IMO, he's never going to be an all star even if he continues to improve, he's a bigger Nate Robinson.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Plot on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Bledoe's value is quite high right now and I anticipate him in Dantoni's PG-centric system would further his value. With Pau's expiring contract and Bledsoe, it gives Mitch more flexibility on what he can do. The Lakers already lack quality young players and 1st round picks given away with the Nash/Dwight trades.
Plot

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Helljumper wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Plot wrote:

It's also dangerous to reject a trade that nets you two "potential all stars" in the hopes that another player who is under contract through 2016 demands a trade in 2015. There's no guarantee Minnesota doesn't make the necessary improvements to convince Love to stay (especially with a less incompetent GM at the helm now and an improving Rubio). There's also no guarantee that we'd have the assets, both in regards to salary and talent, to make a trade with Minny.

My hypothetical scenario is STILL something I'd rather take a chance on then give a 20 million dollar contract to Blake Griffin.

And it's FAR from the ONLY option we'd have. Trading for Griffin handicaps us to him in the same way the Clippers are now handicapped to Griffin AND Jordan. I don't want any part of that contract.

And Bledsoe will never be an All-Star.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Weezy wrote:Bledsoe is not a potential all star IMO, he's never going to be an all star even if he continues to improve, he's a bigger Nate Robinson.

A bigger Nate Robinson sounds like one of the best PG's in the league :man10:

Bledsoe as a starter this year: 14 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2.5 steals, 1.3 blocks, 40% from the field, 43% from three.

In his third season, and without being an instrumental part of his team's offense. I agree, he's most likely never going to be an all-star, but Laker fans are so quick to dismiss athleticism. He's 23 years old without much experience yet. He has time to develop his skills. And again, even if he doesn't, he's still a very solid player who helps solidify our PG rotation. But once again, my point has nothing to do with Bledsoe/Griffin.

I'm mainly disagreeing with the idea that it would be better to let Dwight walk for nothing to preserve cap flexibility rather than bringing back equal talent via S&T. Dwight leaves for nothing and we're going to be terrible next year. I don't think the history/lore of the Lakers alone is going to be enough to convince whatever mythical franchise players you guys think we can get in 2014 to sign with us. Especially after possibly two of the worst seasons in franchise history, with no one noteworthy on contract other than probably a 35 year old Kobe, and after an off-season where we couldn't even convince Dwight the primadonna to stay in the bright lights of LA.

And again, this is all a moot point since this only applies if Dwight wants to leave. If I had to put money on it, I still think: Dwight stays. Mitch makes a few small moves (bye Pau/Metta) to put together a roster that is more complementary to both Dwight's playing style and D'antoni's coaching style. After a healthy off-season of putting in work, Dwight comes back stronger than ever and we have a much better season. Then in 2014, with a happy Dwight under contract and the team having a respectable reputation again, Mitch appropriately divvies up the cap space to put together a contender around Dwight/Kobe.
Helljumper

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Helljumper wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Plot wrote:

Agreed.. The odds of us being able to trade for Love down the line are just too low to pass on a chance to get him now. Pau will be expired by then so we don't even know what assets we could potentially have that would be worth Love.

Ideally yes, we could pair Love with Dwight, as it's about as good of a fit as exists on paper. But we're talking about a specific scenario here, one where Dwight lets us know he won't be back in a Laker jersey & we have to choose between the cap space or getting Kevin Love & Bledsoe, & probably more pieces.

There's only 1 scenario in which we're better off letting Dwight walk, & that's if Lebron opts out next summer & decides to be a Laker. But why would he do that with no Dwight? Just a 36 year old Kobe that might take a pay cut to come back if we put together a contender. On the other hand, if we take the deal we'll have a star for him to join in Love, & I also think we'll be able to keep Bledsoe if he plays well for us, as long as he doesn't break out into a superstar & demand near the max. I think based on his value right now we'll be able to bring him back for 6-8M a season at the most.

So we renounce all of our free agents including Kobe, & have Love 15.7, Bledsoe 7, roughly 8.5 between Clark & Hill(if we're able to extend Hill). So that's roughly 32M not counting cap holds. I'm hopeful that Nash will retire after next season, so we'll no longer be saddled with his deal. But if for some reason we're still paying his 9M, it becomes roughly 41 before cap holds. Either way, it'll be tough to get a max FA & also have 10M or more left to give Kobe, he might have to make some major sacrifices to get those last 2 rings he wants. If Lebron is going to be a FA, I can't think of many more appealing situations than having a chance to play with Bledsoe/Bryant/Love/Pau back cheap?, on the Lakers. But if unloading Nash isn't enough & we have to let Bledsoe or Hill or even both walk to do it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. If we miss out on Lebron then we still have a shot at LMA, Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Rondo among others. My 1st option is keeping Dwight because he'll sell a max FA coming here better than any of those guys, but Love is probably #2 on that list, so if we can get him + other valuable pieces, we'd be fools to just take the cap space.
lakersin4

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm not saying Bledsoe isn't very good, or that he doesn't have potential, and I don't know what you're talking about undervaluing athleticism, we lack that badly. All I was saying was that potential all star is a bit much. Also, how can your point be not about Griffin/Bledsoe but getting equal value in a sign and trade when the only rumored deal is that one? Makes no sense to me, as that is the whole reason we're discussing a sign and trade in the first place, and IMO Griffin and Bledsoe is not equal value. That's just my opinion, I don't even like Dwight and I still think he's worth a little more than that. So yeah I don't let him walk if I can get equal value, fill my teams needs, but I do if the best I can do is get a big name in Griffin and potential in Bledsoe, no thanks.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm a big fan of Bledsoe. Griffin? Not so much. However, I make the trade in a heartbeat and I flip Griffin to a team desperate to get a "star". Not saying the Lakers feel the same way, but if we could get something like Aldridge and a 1st I'd be pleased.

Bledsoe and Aldridge, to me, is a decent package if Dwight wants out that badly.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm not saying Bledsoe isn't very good, or that he doesn't have potential, and I don't know what you're talking about undervaluing athleticism, we lack that badly. All I was saying was that potential all star is a bit much. Also, how can your point be not about Griffin/Bledsoe but getting equal value in a sign and trade when the only rumored deal is that one? Makes no sense to me, as that is the whole reason we're discussing a sign and trade in the first place, and IMO Griffin and Bledsoe is not equal value. That's just my opinion, I don't even like Dwight and I still think he's worth a little more than that. So yeah I don't let him walk if I can get equal value, fill my teams needs, but I do if the best I can do is get a big name in Griffin and potential in Bledsoe, no thanks.

Maybe "undervaluing athleticism" wasn't the best way to put it (which BTW, wasn't directed at you). Here's what I mean: in the same way that we claim a lot of NBA fans get blinded by Griffin's highlight dunks and overrate him, I think a lot of us judge Griffin in the opposite way. We see all his dunks and overgeneralize that all he can do is dunk. We fail to give him credit in other aspects of his game AND underestimate how huge of an impact Griffin can have solely because of his freak athleticism. Since Griffin can dunk, he's just "a big name" and not a perennial 20/10 all-star? It's the same reason a lot of Laker fans (myself included) took so long to coming around to the fact that Lebron is the best player in the game. "He has no skills. All he does is rely on his athleticism. He can't win a championship off of that alone, and once his athleticism declines he'll be a shell of his former self." That's the kind of stuff I was saying while Lebron was still in Cleveland ... and then he refined his skills just enough to better compliment his athletic ability and carried Miami to the Finals three years in a row, with no signs that his athleticism is declining anytime soon.

Because of the nature of our past two championship teams, we've been raised in a basketball culture of: "Fundamentals, defense, rebounding, toughness, etc. wins championships". Yes, it does. But not EVERY player on the team needs to excel in every one of those areas. Your comment about Nate Robinson is what reminded me of this. After Nate's excellent post-season performance, I mentioned to some friends that I wish we could find a way to get Nate this off-season. They looked at me like I was crazy and said that Nate can't play defense and is too "wild." Well yes, we do need a better defensive PG, but we also need some more offensive firepower off the bench so if we can get someone who provides that role as good as Nate, we'd have to pull the trigger and then look to improve defensively via the other holes in the rotation that we need to fill. So while Griffin primarily brings high-octane offense through his athleticism, there's a place for that on an elite team if we surround him with the right players, especially since his rebounding and defense isn't as bad as you guys make it sound.

There seems to be two arguments against this rumored S&T:
1.) Griffin/Bledsoe aren't good enough value for Dwight as players
2.) Taking on about $20 million/year of guaranteed long-term salary will limit what we can do in 2014 free agency/potential trades.

My point is mainly directed towards the second argument because it applies to any S&T (and come on, just because this is the only rumor we've heard doesn't mean it's the only possible S&T). We can't let Dwight walk for nothing, and then have to settle for someone like Granger or Deng with our cap space (good luck convincing Kobe to return to that). We need to get the BEST value (not necessarily equal value) for Dwight that we can if he wants to leave, in order to remain competitive next season and have young/competent players on the roster to recruit during 2014 and give us something to work with if we miss out on the big free agent targets.
Helljumper

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:05 pm

KB8-
Now I would LOVE LA if we could pry him from Portland
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 pm

^^ Agreed! LA I think would be a pretty perfect type of PF to put next to Dwight at least on the offensive end. He's not a full on "stretch 4" shooting from three, but his mid-range game is remarkable. Kind of like a younger version of Roo's pick David West, who I also think would be a great fit.

Gotta say though, I'm not quite as interested in securing a dominant offensive PF as I am in somehow landing a 2 way SF.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Plot wrote:

You're kidding right?

Blake is more marketable than Love. Love has never played a full year. Blake is locked in for more years and can compliment Rubio better

Love isn't a max guy, he isn't a superstar, and he's not the best at his position in the league. A true best player at his position, a true elite superstar gets his team in the playoffs. Melo took Denver from 8 straight losing seasons to 7.5 straight winning years. Kobe forced the lakers in the playoffs at 35. Hrden forced Houston into the playoffs.

The only thing Love is elite at is stat padding. He stat pads like Moses, with the miss a shot, tip it in, get a board, and get points. H doesn't defend, in fact he made Minny worse last year. He had no post game, and isn't a go to scorer. Minny didnt max him out for all those reasons and he's unhealthy without marketability to boot.

I really think people are in love with what Love does a fantasy team because in reality all his stat stuffing contributions don't do [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] in terms of wins on the basketball court.

Maxing out Love or Alrdgride over Blake on the same market is as stupid as maxing out Pau was. There's nothing he gives you on the court as a main piece or in the box office to ever justify it. It just hampers your cap and team to max out fake max players, and Love, Pau, Joe Johnson, Lamarcus Aldridge, Josh Smith, are all fake max guys. Least Blake can make you some damn money back, is younger, and has athleticism
kblo247

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard