D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:50 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
JSM wrote:Found it a little surprising Kobe's been mentoring him for 4 years and they were able to keep that on the down low.

Im not Kobe has mentioned many times he mentors guys around the league. It is just the sports media would have to want to give him any sort of credit to condsider it a story. Kobe being a villian sells and they milk it for all its worth. It also helps that Kobe is pretty dang private about his off time.

Watch this season will be different. Kobe will be the doting old Grandpa of the league. He'll be laughed at for his silly comments and he'll be asked a lot about what's next.

They're going to go a different route this season. I feel it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

If you mean in games, that's the next step. All clear for practice now. RT @OGJRey: when is (Howard) expected to get medical clearance?
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby nthydro on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:24 pm

If he's cleared already then I expect him to be ready for the Oct 25 preseason game :jam2:
nthydro

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing

Watching Lakers scrimmage: Dwight with monster block of Douglas-Roberts' dunk attempt ... and then vicious dunk at other end.

Video of Howard Block on CDR:
http://twitter.yfrog.com/3unn5pwcnlazhvjvnlvaqghnz

The dynamic betw. Kobe/Howard after a week remains very light-hearted. Lots of joking. That'll evolve during tight games, but a good start.

Howard seems to have come out of the scrimmage well. He's hammer dunking missed FT's from teammates now, just for fun.

More quotes to come........
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

His help D is just amazing. Looking forward to more blocks.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 pm

He looks like he's missing that rhythm still, but that little clip was still encouraging and definitely a great sign. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (cleared for 5-on-5 - Pg 703)

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:10 pm

CANNOT WAIT!!!!

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:

Howard seems to have come out of the scrimmage well. He's hammer dunking missed FT's from teammates now, just for fun.

:man10: :jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby nthydro on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 pm

This guy is so much better than Andrew Bynum.
nthydro

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 pm

karacha wrote:His help D is just amazing. Looking forward to more blocks.

^^ For sure. Boy, I'm so glad to see him doing this. Looking good. I think he'll be ready by the opener.
Lakerjones

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 pm

nthydro wrote:This guy is so much better than Andrew Bynum.

At some things. Definitely not at the charity stripe. And not in the post either.

Let's just say, he's a better fit for this team. I think the arguments can go round and round about who is the better center. Clearly, getting Dwight was the right thing for the Lakers. We can just stick with that.
Lakerjones

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Lakerjones wrote:

At some things. Definitely not at the charity stripe. And not in the post either.

Let's just say, he's a better fit for this team. I think the arguments can go round and round about who is the better center. Clearly, getting Dwight was the right thing for the Lakers. We can just stick with that.

Bynum is definitely a better FT shooter, & has a more polished game offensively, but that doesn't necessarily make him the better post scorer or the most efficient of the 2 around the rim.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:49 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

Bynum is definitely a better FT shooter, & has a more polished game offensively, but that doesn't necessarily make him the better post scorer or the most efficient of the 2 around the rim.

I never said he was a more efficient player in the post. He's not. A lot of D12's points come there from put backs and any time he's within a couple feet of the basket it's basically a score. The guy is a beast.

But we're splitting hairs really. The fact is just because we don't have Bynum any more there's not really a need to blast on him in a comparison with D12. They've got different strengths and weaknesses.

You can even look back here at CL and read pages upon pages of debate about D12 vs. Bynum.

What matters now and what is clear is that Howard is a much better fit with this Lakers' team alongside Steve Nash. The way he plays is perfect for our personnel. He doesn't have to be "so much better than Bynum." And I'd argue that he isn't. But he is so much of a better fit. And for that I'm incredibly stoked to have him here.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 am

^ Well said.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 am

Apparently D12 blocked CDR twice yesterday in practice. I saw another clip that was better then the one above. CDR went up for a two handed slam and D12 met him at the rim and swatted it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 am

Doc Brown wrote:Apparently D12 blocked CDR twice yesterday in practice. I saw another clip that was better then the one above. CDR went up for a two handed slam and D12 met him at the rim and swatted it.

Yeah that one had me far more excited than the other block. It showed better timing.

He still doesn't look necessarily as confident or explosive, but I think he's getting really, really close.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:11 pm

^ where can i find that vid guys?
kenzo

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:13 pm

kenzo wrote:^ where can i find that vid guys?

TWC Sports Net is where I saw it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Yeah, if you can't watch the channel I'm sorry. I saw it on #Lakeshow or Accessnet or whatever their two main Laker shows are called.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Ramona Shelburne wrote:Tuesday we learned that Kobe Bryant thought Dwight Howard was mean enough, just not mean enough, enough of the time.

"Dwight, to be a three-time Defensive Player of the Year, you've got to have a little of that dog in you," Bryant said on Tuesday. "It's just a matter of him digging deep and just pulling it out. But it's already there. It's just a matter of him having it become habit."

But in yet another sign that Howard and Bryant are off to a pretty decent start in this budding relationship that pretty much has to work for the Los Angeles Lakers to make good on their potential, Howard seems as if he took Bryant's comments pretty well.

"I heard about what he said," Howard said. "People might take that the wrong way. He's not saying be a jerk or an a-hole to people, he's basically saying, 'On the court. He loves the way I play, but I can be more of one of those people.' "

The reason the question came up in the first place is pretty simple: Howard has become known for his sunny personality and sense of humor almost as much as his basketball ability. He's fun. Silly at times. Like on Wednesday night when he danced for the crowd at Citizens Business Bank Arena when the Korean pop hit "Gangnam Style" played over the loudspeaker.

Bryant compared Howard's personality to former Lakers great Magic Johnson, who was "extremely competitive, but he still played the game with a smile on his face."

Howard seemed to like that comparison.

"I think a lot of people get it confused," Howard said of his personality. "They think I don't take it serious because I'm smiling or things like that. When it's time to get it done, I go and get it."
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Good Article. Ultimately, this is about a championship. Kobe's going to pull that whole dog out of Dwight and show him how to properly lead a team and be an example on & off the court. Dwight has the proper attitude. This is going to be a historic season...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:59 pm

I"m really starting to love reading about the developing relationship of these two. This is so far from the Kobe-Shaq era...

If Dwight developed Kobe's killer instinct on the court... Oh man...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm thinking Shaq was partially right in calling out Dwight for not being a back to the basket type player. Offensively, Dwight relies too much on his athleticism for put backs and the pick and roll.

God forbid, Nash goes down late in the year or *gulp* in the post season a la Malone in '04...then what? Dwight is going to be the face of this franchise and even though Kobe stood up for Dwight and refuted Shaq's critiques, a part of Kobe knew that Dwight needs to shoulder more of the responsibility offensively. Instead of relying on his athleticism to be more of a Euro pick & roll center as Shaq referred to him as, he needs to get dirty down low and make the opposing front court players pay. Defensively, Dwight has that demeanor, but offensively, the opposition really doesn't fear Dwight down there. Obviously Shaq had more weight on him and was a legit 7 footer compared to Dwight, but Dwight does have the strength to impose his will in the paint from time to time and the beauty of this team is that they don't have to go down low to Dwight everytime down the court....but when they do, he needs to really throw his weight around (of course when his back is ready and strong enough for it).

Hopefully some of the work Dwight gets with Cap can add to his offensive repertoire. One thing that was interesting from the NBA TV comments Shaq made, was that when prompted by Reggie if Dwight ever came to him to seek advice on how to play big and gully down low, Shaq said he would be open to teaching Dwight some of his tricks. But then again, I doubt that scenario will ever pan out and its unfortunate that ego is the sole reason behind it.

All in all, Kobe seems to be grooming Dwight for the takeover and if Dwight is ready to critique his game and commit to improving upon it, the franchise will be in great hands!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 pm

That's a impressive recovery to block the shot after getting he bite on the pump fake.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard