D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (And so it begins...)

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Ariza3 wrote:he's just tired as is Pau too. they've both played a ton of minutes during this stretch of games over not many days. a lot of b2b's too. I think with more minutes given to Hill and Jamison it should lower Pays minutes to 29-30 and Dwight's to 33-34 IMO. that should help both stay fresh bc they both look beat...proof in their rebounding tonight.

That is no excuse. There is no excuse for Dwight getting 1 defensive rebound in over 39 minutes. Sorry.
JGC

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Wow one rough patch and people are bring out the pitchforks. The dude is 75% of himself, at least hes out there playing with his teammates and battling..if it was Bynum he'd be taking 2 months taking his own sweet time resting and "Getting into game shape" or what not. Adversity only makes a team stronger and I have no doubt in my mind we'll rebound well from this...since we already got through a rough patch to start the year. Dwight looked terrible tonight and earlier in SAC but the best is yet to come, a few bad nights early in the season isn't gonna change the fact that the dude is capable of putting up HOF numbers and helping us stay in championship contention. Hes done it for multiple years.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 pm

The Rock wrote:Wow one rough patch and people are bring out the pitchforks. The dude is 75% of himself, at least hes out there playing with his teammates and battling..if it was Bynum he'd be taking 2 months taking his own sweet time resting and "Getting into game shape" or what not. Adversity only makes a team stronger and I have no doubt in my mind we'll rebound well from this...since we already got through a rough patch to start the year. Dwight looked terrible tonight and earlier in SAC but the best is yet to come, a few bad nights early in the season isn't gonna change the fact that the dude is capable of putting up HOF numbers and helping us stay in championship contention. Hes done it for multiple years.

Now you sound like the Bynum defenders from last season! Haha.

I agree with you, but Dwight was supposed to be immune to poor outings. Remember? The big knock on Bynum was that he didn't bring it every night. And that's what Howard was supposed to bring here.

Doesn't matter if it's early, he's 75%, no more excuses. 1 defensive rebound in nearly 40 minutes of play is a feat not even he-who-doesnt-bring-it-every-night could muster. (Well, Bynum did have a 1 rebound outing when he got hurt after playing 10 mins and didn't return).

Adversity makes a team stronger so maybe we need to lose even more because we don't play strong at all.
JGC

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 pm

The Rock wrote:Wow one rough patch and people are bring out the pitchforks. The dude is 75% of himself, at least hes out there playing with his teammates and battling..if it was Bynum he'd be taking 2 months taking his own sweet time resting and "Getting into game shape" or what not. Adversity only makes a team stronger and I have no doubt in my mind we'll rebound well from this...since we already got through a rough patch to start the year. Dwight looked terrible tonight and earlier in SAC but the best is yet to come, a few bad nights early in the season isn't gonna change the fact that the dude is capable of putting up HOF numbers and helping us stay in championship contention. Hes done it for multiple years.

^And Dwight at 100% is all of the sudden going to have a jumpshot so his faceup moves won't be so predictable? Dwight at 100% is all of the sudden going to have a more advanced post-up game?

It's not just the last 2 games. The San Antonio game was bad too. Teams are basically following the blueprint San Antonio put down and they are laying in the weeds and stripping the ball out of his hands. It's a copycat league. Until Dwight and the team finds a way to counter it, teams are going to keep doing it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 pm

revgen wrote:

^And Dwight at 100% is all of the sudden going to have a jumpshot so his faceup moves won't be so predictable? Dwight at 100% is all of the sudden going to have a more advanced post-up game?

It's not just the last 2 games. The San Antonio game was bad too. Teams are basically following the blueprint San Antonio put down and they are laying in the weeds and stripping the ball out of his hands. It's a copycat league. Until Dwight and the team finds a way to counter it, teams are going to keep doing it.

Never said Dwight doesnt have limitations in his game, one of his biggest strengths is ability to run down the court, we haven't seen much of that this week have we? For me thats an indicator on what kind of shape hes in, maybe his back stiffened up (He is coming off back surgery after all). He didn't out run cousins in the Sacto games he didn't try outrunning Gasol and Randolph tonight. His handles need work but more importantly his impact on defense will be felt once his legs are under him. We need his defense much more than his offense

He isn't 100% everybody knows that so anything he does for us until he is a bonus in my eyes. If he plays pathetic like this when he is fully back to himself then he deserves every ounce of criticism me and the fans will give out

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Aonex on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:39 pm

revgen wrote:

He did have that midrange bank shot going early last year... maybe we'll see that back in his repertoire when he's healthy.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:47 pm

The Rock wrote:
revgen wrote:

Never said Dwight doesnt have limitations in his game, one of his biggest strengths is ability to run down the court, we haven't seen much of that this week have we? For me thats an indicator on what kind of shape hes in, maybe his back stiffened up (He is coming off back surgery after all). He didn't out run cousins in the Sacto games he didn't try outrunning Gasol and Randolph tonight. His handles need work but more importantly his impact on defense will be felt once his legs are under him. We need his defense much more than his offense

He isn't 100% everybody knows that so anything he does for us until he is a bonus in my eyes. If he plays pathetic like this when he is fully back to himself then he deserves every ounce of criticism me and the fans will give out

Except people won't ever say he's 100 percent when he doesn't play well. When we played Brooklyn and the Rockets, everyone was saying that he is getting closer to 100 percent.

Now he plays bad and he's 75 percent. I mean, he's either back or he's not.
JGC

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 pm

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/272227762247462914

I'm not surprised actually by Howard's struggles at all - it's back related - stamina a problem 4 in 5 nights? rough

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby revgen on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 am

Aonex wrote:
revgen wrote:

He did have that midrange bank shot going early last year... maybe we'll see that back in his repertoire when he's healthy.

I'm having a lot of doubts about the "wait until he's healthy" and "wait 'til Nash gets back" mantra going on around here. Dwight has been TO prone throughout his career, so this isn't anything new. And with Morris as our PG and Kobe as our SG, the P&R's aren't going to be there like they were in Orlando. Dwight has to rely on postups and faceups more than usual. I think we need to be concerned. We can't "wait for Nash" or "wait until Dwight gets healthy". We need to win games.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Frank Dux on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Not looking good... Jimmy Buss the idiot who destroyed the Lakers

:man10: Dwight is indeed playing like trash. But lets not pretend we'd be better off with Bynum.
Frank Dux

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:29 am

We need to trade Pau for a good PG, because Nash at his age can't be counted on to be our savior. He's going to have injury issues during his tenure here, mark my words. We have guys that can shoot the 3, but we need a PG that is better than Blake to play the majority of minutes.

D'Antoni's system fails without a good/great PG. Look at NY.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby dj vitus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:38 am

Very odd of Dwight to have two bad games in a row that ended up in losses. You have to go back to early 2010 to find the last instance.

If D'Antoni's gonna be true to his word and not play players who won't run and gun, then maybe he'll give Dwight a little rest. 28-32 mins a game while he works himself into shape should be a good prescription. Not 40 (as much as we'd like). Come on, now.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby last stand on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:46 am

I've said he was 75-80% even when he playe well. I've watched enough of him to know he's not close yet
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:06 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Not looking good... Jimmy Buss the idiot who destroyed the Lakers

Yep.

I'm really starting to despise that clown. :mad1:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:13 am

Sarcasm ? If not one of the strangest posts ever ... what the hell Jimmy has to do with D12 playing poorly ?
wcsoldier81

Postby last stand on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:22 am

JGC wrote:

I agree with you, but Dwight was supposed to be immune to poor outings. Remember? The big knock on Bynum was that he didn't bring it every night. And that's what Howard was supposed to bring here.

Doesn't matter if it's early, he's 75%, no more excuses. 1 defensive rebound in nearly 40 minutes of play is a feat not even he-who-doesnt-bring-it-every-night could muster. (Well, Bynum did have a 1 rebound outing when he got hurt after playing 10 mins and didn't return).

Adversity makes a team stronger so maybe we need to lose even more because we don't play strong at all.

Ya who cares if Dwight is 75%, when Bynum did these things at 100% it's the same that is incredibly logical
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:56 am

We need to kill a whole flock of birds with 1 stone & let Dwight get some more rest so he can give us his all when he's out there. If we didn't have Pau, I could understand why they'd be hesitant, but we can just play Pau more minutes @ Center & get him more involved & comfortable in the offense, he'll produce if we move him closer to the basket on a consistent basis.

Give Jamison more consistent minutes. Maybe even get Hill out of the doghouse. I'd rather have Dwight giving it his all for 28 MPG than being exhausted when we have back to backs & such. Pau, Jamison, & Hill are all capable of stepping up. Not that Jordan needs to, but there's no reason not rest Dwight with the depth we have.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 am

D12 is playing, Drew is not. As long as D12 is putting 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 block, we are getting more than we would from Bynum right now.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:08 am

Frank Dux wrote:

:man10: Dwight is indeed playing like trash. But lets not pretend we'd be better off with Bynum.

Not talking about Dwight :man10: I'm talking about Phil not being hired and Dwight bolting because of it.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JGC on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:34 am

Doc Brown wrote:D12 is playing, Drew is not. As long as D12 is putting 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 block, we are getting more than we would from Bynum right now.

Well, we could waive Howard and start Sacre and get that.
JGC

Postby JGC on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:38 am

last stand wrote:
JGC wrote:

Ya who cares if Dwight is 75%, when Bynum did these things at 100% it's the same that is incredibly logical

Bynum hasn't ever been 100% in his life as a professional basketball player. Look, I'm not saying Bynum > Howard. I'm saying Dwight is supposed to be immune to poor outings, we all said prior to having Howard, that he brings it EVERY night. If you're playing center, and you're well enough to play nearly 40 mins in a game, and you're supposed to be the league's best center, you should get more than 1 defensive rebound shouldn't you? That's effort, not health. Rebounding is all effort.

D12 is doing nothing different than any big man on any team does. If he's not involved, he loses focus. It's a human thing, not a "bring it every night" thing. ORL, sadly, did a better job of getting Dwight involved than we do. And what scares me, is that this is EXACTLY the concern that D12 had coming in here to begin with.
JGC

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:01 am

Doc Brown wrote:D12 is playing, Drew is not. As long as D12 is putting 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 block, we are getting more than we would from Bynum right now.

This!

Comparing players on other teams does nothing anyway. Who cares about Drew... he isn't here and isn't going to be so focus on the issues we can see... not the ones that are hypothetical.

Over the last two games Howard doesn't seem to be either able or want to put out the effort needed to play at even a 75% level. That's what my eyes see. Why? Who knows out side of Howard... What I do know is that he has done this in stretched before and it isn't new. The biggest knock on him to this point in his career is having lacking focus and killer instinct. That seems to be what's going on to me... he's focus last night in the 4th was on something else because his rebound and defense was non-existent in the 16 minutes of game I got to see.

This team needs to start playing like a team but we've had a few issues that have kept that from happening. Coaching changes along with style changes, constantly different rotations that put different groups on the floor every quarter and injuries to the one position we can't afford to have injuries two deep at....

When you have the primary ball handler be either Morris or Kobe the offense is going to have a far different look than if it's Duhon, Blake or Nash IMO. Kobe walked the ball up the entire 4th last night.... not once did he push it like MDA demands.... so we aren't seeing the scheme we should be seeing right now. Once we begin that approach we may get Howard in broken play situation where he is the most comfortable and at his best. Maybe that in turn will revive the rest of his game as well......
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
Rooscooter

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:23 am

I think the reason Dwight has been so underwhelming is health related. 4 games in 5 nights for a 26 YO shouldn't be a problem; but it is when you just came off back surgery and don't have much time to recover between games.

We have another game tonight. Fortunately, Dallas doesn't have the talented frontcourt that Memphis possessed and maybe Dwight can try to get on track. I don't see him getting his legs back until the end of December.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JGC on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:I think the reason Dwight has been so underwhelming is health related. 4 games in 5 nights for a 26 YO shouldn't be a problem; but it is when you just came off back surgery and don't have much time to recover between games.

We have another game tonight. Fortunately, Dallas doesn't have the talented frontcourt that Memphis possessed and maybe Dwight can try to get on track. I don't see him getting his legs back until the end of December.

If that were true, then his output wouldn't really feel that underwhelming since we already know he is not 100% yet. I still think 1 defensive rebound in nearly 40 mins isn't the expected output for a center who isn't 100%.
JGC

Postby Center Court on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 am

People can keep making excuses and claim health, fatigue, lack of killer instinct but the truth is that he's not happy during the games. You can see he is frustrated. His whole career he's been the #1 guy and everything runs through him. Right now, he's standing and watching Kobe.

He said he wanted to go to BK because he wanted his own team where he's the focal point. Right now Pau is used more in the pick and roll then he is.
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard