D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm

I see.

Well then it'd be 9/20/12ish which puts us at 31 or so. We've still got a good 19 million before taxes even kick in. If we're holding onto Hill/Clark that's probably another 6-7 million or so. That's probably putting us at 37-38 million, so still a good 12-13 million before the cap of roughly 50 million. That's a lot to spend.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm

I see.

Well then it'd be 9/20/12ish which puts us at 31 or so. We've still got a good 19 million before taxes even kick in. If we're holding onto Hill/Clark that's probably another 6-7 million or so. That's probably putting us at 37-38 million, so still a good 12-13 million before the cap of roughly 50 million. That's a lot to spend.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:I see.

58 is current cap, its supposedly going up since revenue has gone up. Lets hope for the best then, I hope we spend on that money on good YOUNG Pg if Howard is still around.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:53 pm

9 + 20 + 12 = 31? Am I missing something here?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Doc Brown wrote:9 + 20 + 12 = 31? Am I missing something here?

well the 9 is exempt because of the chris paul veto, and adam silver is taking 1 million off of the 12 million to be cheeky
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 am

Doc Brown wrote:9 + 20 + 12 = 31? Am I missing something here?

Well I counted on my fingers and toes...

Ugh... This is embarrassing.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:08 am

The cap being so ridiculously low compared to the past is one of the main reasons I don't want to give Dwight 20 mil to be our guy. The time of 3 superstar teams is ending, it's going to be 2 max, and the rest of the roster has to be brilliantly balanced through role played and draft picks. In a league that restricted I don't want this clown who's supposed to lead us to championships taking up more than 1/3 of our salary cap room. I give that to somebody who truly deserves it even of that means waiting a few seasons for such a player to become available.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 am

The King dream eh..
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Center Court on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 am

Weezy wrote:The cap being so ridiculously low compared to the past is one of the main reasons I don't want to give Dwight 20 mil to be our guy. The time of 3 superstar teams is ending, it's going to be 2 max, and the rest of the roster has to be brilliantly balanced through role played and draft picks. In a league that restricted I don't want this clown who's supposed to lead us to championships taking up more than 1/3 of our salary cap room. I give that to somebody who truly deserves it even of that means waiting a few seasons for such a player to become available.

aside from that, every report states he is "miserable". He's said basketball isn't fun right now. His number one criteria is "having fun". Doesn't sound like a guy who is going to resign. Be active in the trade market. If a traade isn't there, fine, let's gamble. After all, that's what Dr. B did his whole career. If a good deal is out there, cut bait, trade him and let's be done with this 13 year old girl of a center.

Dude is a indecisive attention [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] who has no back bone to look in the mirror and find the answers inside. He walks around looking disinterested, uncaring, and flat out bored. I'm not sure this is the guy you want to build around.

I mean, what is going to change next year? Mike D Anphoni? Maybe, but which coach makes him happy? the PJ ship has sailed. JVG will never be a good fit for Dwight. So who makes Dwight feel like, damn, I'm having fun again? I don't see one. If there is, does that change things with Kobe? Does Dwight all of a sudden feel like he's equal? Nope. He wants out.

And people keep playing out this whole $30MM card. That's great and all, but even at the end of his contract he's around 30. He'll still get another max deal. Losing on that final year really has no bearing on his move. If it does, then he must really be damaged and wants to lock in $$ before he's exposed. Again, not someone that I want.

I can point to most instances where I felt Dwight was int he right, but even through all misuse, poor coaching schemes, and health issues, he's shown he can't handle it.
Center Court

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:The King dream eh..

Don't know if you were responding to me, but if so, no doesn't have to be LeBron. That said in a league where 58 mil is the cap and luxury tax penalties are insane, only a handful of players are worth 20 mil per season and again IMO Dwight isn't one of them. 20 mil is a lot different when the cap is that different. Right NOW, I can only think of a few guys worth that and a few guys who if they live up to their potential being worth that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43 am

There is going to be some pissed off Lakers fans when Dwight re-signs. By the way, did anybody watch First Take? Skip and Stephen A. were at a venue with the Houston fans; well, anyways, somebody announced Dwight's name and most of the Houston fans booed according to both Skip and Stephen.

Additionally, Skip and Stephen A. were at the dunk contest (I think), and said all the players were there in attendance except for Dwight. I guess he was ostracized...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:11 am

February 19, 2013

With 29 regular-season games remaining and the playoffs still in sight, Kobe Bryant is more determined than ever to prove he and the Lakers can become the force they thought they were.

Whether center Dwight Howard is a part of that attempted revival doesn't matter to Bryant, sources familiar with Bryant's thinking told FOX Sports Ohio.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has strongly nixed the notion that Howard could be moved prior to Thursday's trading deadline. But if Kupchak changes his mind, he'd have Bryant's full support, according to sources.

While Bryant and Howard aren't close, no rift exists between them, either. Still, Bryant appears uncertain if Howard is the right fit on a team that must put together a fervent finish just to qualify for the postseason -- and one that is unlikely to possess home-court advantage in any round if it does get there.

The Lakers exited the All-Star break at an underachieving 25-29 and 3½ games out of the final playoff spot.

Optimists will point to the fact they've won eight of their previous 12 games. But they lost 125-101 to the Clippers on the final night before All-Star weekend -- in a game that resembled little more than 48 minutes of garbage time.

The acquisitions of Howard and point guard Steve Nash prior to the season immediately made the Lakers the popular favorite to win the Western Conference. They were considered a sure title contender, boasting a lineup that could greatly assist the 34-year-old Bryant in his quest to obtain a sixth championship ring.

Instead, the Lakers started slowly, fired coach Mike Brown after five games, replaced Brown with Mike D'Antoni, and have continued to look out of sorts.

Howard alone can hardly be blamed, and Bryant even admires how Howard has played through back and shoulder pain. But sources say Bryant also wonders if Howard has the right approach, mental toughness and overall willingness to help the Lakers flourish in what has become their most important stretch.

Bryant is not alone in his concern, sources say. Nash, Pau Gasol and several others also seem fairly uneasy about Howard's commitment to the cause.

According to sources, a number of Lakers have their doubts about whether Howard takes the game seriously and "wants it" enough for the challenges the team now faces.

Howard's $19.2 million contract is second-highest on the Lakers (behind Bryant) and expires at the end of the season. It is believed he too would be OK with a trade, and likely welcome one if he were sent to a preferred destination. Brooklyn and Dallas are said to be among the teams with which Howard would agree to a contract extension this summer.

Sources insist it's still possible Howard could re-sign with the Lakers, but that he hasn't made up his mind and won't come to such a decision until the season plays out.

Kupchak has denied a CBS Sports report the Lakers were toying with the idea of trading Howard to the Celtics in a deal for point guard Rajon Rondo, out for the season with an ACL injury.

However, sources say Kupchak has indeed taken several calls centered on Howard. So far, according to sources, Kupchak has quickly shot down any pitches.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/19/13/Sources-Kobe-OK-with-Howard-trade/msn_landing.html?blockID=866195&feedID=3725
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 am

Attaboy Mitch, turn down those first calls, tell the press he's not available and drive up that price. :jam2:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 am

Chris Sheridan everybody, "5 potential trades that make sense", and this is his first trade.....

1. Dwight Howard from LA Lakers to Brooklyn Nets for Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Mirza Teletovic, Tyshawn Taylor, Togo Shengelia and the rights to Bogan Bogdanovic and Ilya Karaman.

:hurl: :hurl:

I think he got confused with Pau Gasol.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kenzo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 am

Doc Brown wrote:Chris Sheridan everybody, "5 potential trades that make sense", and this is his first trade.....

1. Dwight Howard from LA Lakers to Brooklyn Nets for Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Mirza Teletovic, Tyshawn Taylor, Togo Shengelia and the rights to Bogan Bogdanovic and Ilya Karaman.

LOL, no :freak2:
kenzo

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 am

LOL NY Post reporting Dwight was mocking Kobe behind his back in the West lockerrom. Yea right some Brooklyn Nets fan run NY Post will get the inside scoop first on these things.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:51 am

"Sources say," "sources say," "sources say" - every single quote in there is from an anonymous source. Garbage reporting at it's finest. :disagree:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 am

Lakerjones wrote:"Sources say," "sources say," "sources say" - every single quote in there is from an anonymous source. Garbage reporting at it's finest. :disagree:

This.

New York is trying hard to drive Dwight out, that much is obivous.

The ONE thing I will trust now that we've seen it everywhere is that Howard THIS SEASON is dedicated only to himself and not to the winning cause. He's worried about his future and he doesn't want to risk losing his 118 million dollars (or 88 million) for some stupid shot at the playoffs.

Next season that desire might be different and when he's healthy I have no doubt he's more dedicated to the team concept, but this season he's clearly not on the same page as everyone else.

That's not to say he's a loser in general, just this season he's having trouble putting the team first and risking his career. I understand that. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

But I don't believe he and Kobe have some sort of Shaq fued. I don't believe that Howard hates LA. And I don't believe that he wants out of LA to go somewhere like Houston or Atlanta.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 am

Doc Brown wrote:Chris Sheridan everybody, "5 potential trades that make sense", and this is his first trade.....

Sheridan really is a MORON, his article titles make it seem its blatantly clear we'll trade Howard by Thurs but within his article he goes back to its 50/50 :man10: and this offer wouldn't even net them Jordan Hill let alone Pau :man10:
khmrP

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 am

Brilliant. Let's do it.

:man3:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 am

Center Court wrote:
Weezy wrote:The cap being so ridiculously low compared to the past is one of the main reasons I don't want to give Dwight 20 mil to be our guy. The time of 3 superstar teams is ending, it's going to be 2 max, and the rest of the roster has to be brilliantly balanced through role played and draft picks. In a league that restricted I don't want this clown who's supposed to lead us to championships taking up more than 1/3 of our salary cap room. I give that to somebody who truly deserves it even of that means waiting a few seasons for such a player to become available.

aside from that, every report states he is "miserable". He's said basketball isn't fun right now. His number one criteria is "having fun". Doesn't sound like a guy who is going to resign. Be active in the trade market. If a traade isn't there, fine, let's gamble. After all, that's what Dr. B did his whole career. If a good deal is out there, cut bait, trade him and let's be done with this 13 year old girl of a center.

Dude is a indecisive attention [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] who has no back bone to look in the mirror and find the answers inside. He walks around looking disinterested, uncaring, and flat out bored. I'm not sure this is the guy you want to build around.

I mean, what is going to change next year? Mike D Anphoni? Maybe, but which coach makes him happy? the PJ ship has sailed. JVG will never be a good fit for Dwight. So who makes Dwight feel like, damn, I'm having fun again? I don't see one. If there is, does that change things with Kobe? Does Dwight all of a sudden feel like he's equal? Nope. He wants out.

And people keep playing out this whole $30MM card. That's great and all, but even at the end of his contract he's around 30. He'll still get another max deal. Losing on that final year really has no bearing on his move. If it does, then he must really be damaged and wants to lock in $$ before he's exposed. Again, not someone that I want.

I can point to most instances where I felt Dwight was int he right, but even through all misuse, poor coaching schemes, and health issues, he's shown he can't handle it.

Doing a lot of this lately..... just agreeing with others. Rather than writing the same things with regard to Dwight. However.... :man10: ...... Consider if nothing else...... him being the face of the franchise answering questions night in and night out to the reporters after losses. Not a warrior determined to win the next game no matter what like Kobe. Not someone smart like Phil. Not even someone making flippant jokes at himself like Dan. Mopey, unhappy, blame others, incapable of taking the heat & responsibility....Dwight freaking Howard. Look at his act in front of the press at the all star game. :disagree: :toilet3: :nono2: :hurl:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am

You're describing people that don't exist anymore in the NBA.

Why do you think Kobe Bryant is special? Because he's going to do more than ANYBODY else. After years and years of watching the Lakers, I've never seen anyone approach the game with his ferocity. Nobody. Not Magic, not Jordan. Kareem comes closest, but he wasn't as effective in his 17th season that's for sure.

If you're waiting for the next Kobe Bryant, you'll wait forever. What you see with Dwight is another Shaquille. We need another guard to balance him out in the long term. We need another guy who can take over from the perimeter and can help balance Dwight's attitude with something else. Just because Dwight isn't Kobe doesn't mean he can't be valuable.

If you're waiting on Kobe again, keep waiting. There's nothing like him in the league today and there won't be for a while.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am

Weezy wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:The King dream eh..

Don't know if you were responding to me, but if so, no doesn't have to be LeBron. That said in a league where 58 mil is the cap and luxury tax penalties are insane, only a handful of players are worth 20 mil per season and again IMO Dwight isn't one of them. 20 mil is a lot different when the cap is that different. Right NOW, I can only think of a few guys worth that and a few guys who if they live up to their potential being worth that.

well those handful of guys you feel deserve $20mill wouldn't leave all that money on the table to come here either. If you're gona factor in the new CBA in regards to Howard eating up most of our cap then you should also acknowledge the fact that bird rights team will ALWAYS have more money to throw at these MAX lvl players.
khmrP

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27 am

therealdeal wrote:You're describing people that don't exist anymore in the NBA.

Why do you think Kobe Bryant is special? Because he's going to do more than ANYBODY else. After years and years of watching the Lakers, I've never seen anyone approach the game with his ferocity. Nobody. Not Magic, not Jordan. Kareem comes closest, but he wasn't as effective in his 17th season that's for sure.

If you're waiting for the next Kobe Bryant, you'll wait forever. What you see with Dwight is another Shaquille. We need another guard to balance him out in the long term. We need another guy who can take over from the perimeter and can help balance Dwight's attitude with something else. Just because Dwight isn't Kobe doesn't mean he can't be valuable.

If you're waiting on Kobe again, keep waiting. There's nothing like him in the league today and there won't be for a while.

Yes I get that completely. But Dwight's act when things are going badly seems to me divisive at best to a team and downright cancerous at worst. Everyone on eggshells to keep the prima donna happy. Everyone on eggshells with "winners" to try to win and not screw up.
LTLakerFan

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:28 am

therealdeal wrote:You're describing people that don't exist anymore in the NBA.

I think this is a big part of the problem.

We've been spoiled by kobe so long, that we just assume that the leader of our team WILL be the same kind of cutthroat warrior-beast that kobe is.

There's just not many people wired like that unfortunately, and even fewer who can manage to stay healthy and productive the way Kobe has.
phoenixrisingla

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard