D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: All in for L.A. (907)

Postby Finwë on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:46 am

last stand wrote:
Finwë wrote:He's a mental midget. Can't make them in games.

i don't think it's entirely that. he's not a jump shooter so the only shots he takes are free throws. that's what once every 5 minutes. the best FT shooting big men are jumpshooting big men.

even bynum who had a decent FT stroke only shot 69%. remember when kobe was trying to be a PG and his jump shooting went down the toilet. shooting consistently throughout the game keeps you in rhythm. basketball is largely a rhythm sport. that's why if he shoots 100 he makes so many because he's in rhythm but when he shoots 10 throughout a 36 minutes which means he's shooting about once every 7 minutes it's different. there is no rhythm.

the best free throw shooting bigs. like lamarcus aldridge, dirk, pau in his prime, duncan, these guys are shooting jumpers all game from the elbow area.

just my take as to why guys like wilt, shaq, dwight can't hit free throws. it's not for lack of practice, and shaq had no mental toughness issues so my take is they just aren't in rhythm.

Fair points, however, Howard said himself that it's all mental (there's an article with this in this thread, but I don't know which page).. He said something like he starts thinking about the crowd not thinking he's gonna make them, he feels pressured..

Doesn't explain why his % keeps going down either. Every season he gets worse
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:02 am

The shooting jumpers argument is a good one ... however guys like Hibbert and Noah are respectable career 72%FT shooters and they don't shoot a lot from the elbow ( and aren't good from there anyways).

Dwight shot around 59% from 2005-2006 to 2010-2011 then 49% last season and now 48% .

Inexcusable drop
wcsoldier81

Postby wallangong on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:09 am

i understand basketball is a rhythm sport, but with as much as these guys play that's no excuse for horrible FT shooting. Sorry, but I'm not buying that one bit. He's a terrible FT shooter, don't waste your time making excuses for it. I'm willing to accept it to a point. It's all mental. The whole rhythm argument is a waste of time.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Finwë on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:28 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:The shooting jumpers argument is a good one ... however guys like Hibbert and Noah are respectable career 72%FT shooters and they don't shoot a lot from the elbow ( and aren't good from there anyways).

Dwight shot around 59% from 2005-2006 to 2010-2011 then 49% last season and now 48% .

Inexcusable drop

This
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 am

Free throws are the easiest thing to correct, just like the jump shot is the easiest thing to add to your game as you age. It's all about mechanics and working hard. He simply hasn't done enough to feel comfortable at the line, therefore he doesn't do well at the line. If he shoots 100 free throws and makes 85, then in a game goes 3-12, he hasn't done enough. Tomorrow he should shoot 200.

But I don't know if that ONE thing defines him as a mental midget. He started the season for us even though he was not even nearly ready from his surgery. He's now playing through his torn labrum effectively, and lately he's been willing to swallow his pride for the betterment of the team. He's not a mental midget, he's just immature. But he's improving.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 am

therealdeal wrote:Free throws are the easiest thing to correct, just like the jump shot is the easiest thing to add to your game as you age. It's all about mechanics and working hard. He simply hasn't done enough to feel comfortable at the line, therefore he doesn't do well at the line. If he shoots 100 free throws and makes 85, then in a game goes 3-12, he hasn't done enough. Tomorrow he should shoot 200.

But I don't know if that ONE thing defines him as a mental midget. He started the season for us even though he was not even nearly ready from his surgery. He's now playing through his torn labrum effectively, and lately he's been willing to swallow his pride for the betterment of the team. He's not a mental midget, he's just immature. But he's improving.

^^ Well said, realdeal.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am

If he's able to add a respectable jumper to his game over the years, that could help a ton with his ft's.
lakersin4

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:55 am

lakersin4 wrote:If he's able to add a respectable jumper to his game over the years, that could help a ton with his ft's.

I wonder what happened to that nice mid-range bank shot he used to make on Bynum? That actually impressed me and seemed like it was becoming a go-to move for a bit.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:If he's able to add a respectable jumper to his game over the years, that could help a ton with his ft's.

I wonder what happened to that nice mid-range bank shot he used to make on Bynum? That actually impressed me and seemed like it was becoming a go-to move for a bit.

He definitely moved away from it this season, that's for sure. If I have time later I'll try to find some info on that. The few times he's tried to do it this season it's looked absolutely dreadful, but it's something he honestly needs to bring back. That extra space could help a ton with his ability to face up opponents.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Lakerjones wrote:

Hopefully it'll resurface when he gets a full offseason to improve. I don't think he's confident enough to leave his comfort zone this season with his physical limitations.
lakersin4

Postby abeer3 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:14 pm

i agree with real, mostly, but shooting more fts in practice isn't going to solve it. clearly, it's an issue with game vs. practice situations. if anything, he needs to try to simulate the game situation as much as possible when practicing. pump in crowd noise, distractions, maybe make him lay some cash on it, anything to up the physiological arousal.

as someone who shot 85% in practice and 65% in games, i can understand how this happens.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:42 pm

abeer3 wrote:i agree with real, mostly, but shooting more fts in practice isn't going to solve it. clearly, it's an issue with game vs. practice situations. if anything, he needs to try to simulate the game situation as much as possible when practicing. pump in crowd noise, distractions, maybe make him lay some cash on it, anything to up the physiological arousal.

as someone who shot 85% in practice and 65% in games, i can understand how this happens.

Yeah I'm with you.

All I'm saying is I don't care how much you show me these videos and talk about these things in practice. The numbers don't add up to better production, so I want to see even better numbers. I want to see number producing numbers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:24 pm

maybe he should take 5 free throws every time out :man1:
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:45 pm

He's only 4-9 but I think he's been fouled on a few of those. His activity has been pretty impressive so far.

edit- and I've actually liked a lot of the looks he's created. He should have finished them, but I thought he was exhibiting some nice movement.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Since this cam up in the game thread, here's the vid of Dwight dominating Bynum for a 20-20 not a debate on who's better, just a look at Dwight's post game pre-surgery.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Dwight’s Touches

Postby lyth on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:56 pm

I included the halftime report graphic with the log from tonight.

Atlanta (Mar. 03, 2013)
Spoiler:
DWIGHT’S TOUCHES (1st QTR)
  • 10:50 10-feet from Bryant
  • 10:15 at-rim from Nash
  • 8:10 def-rebound
  • 5:50 10-feet from Bryant
  • 5:25 10-feet from Bryant
DWIGHT’S TOUCHES (2nd QTR)
  • 11:35 at-rim from Blake
  • 11:25 def-rebound
  • 10:45 def-rebound
  • 10:35 10-feet from Blake
  • 10:05 10-feet from Jamison
  • 9:40 def-rebound
  • 9:30 10-feet from Artest
  • 9:00 10-feet from Blake
  • 8:30 10-feet from Blake
  • 8:15 at-rim from Blake
  • 8:10 10-feet from Nash
  • 7:50 def-rebound
  • 7:15 def-rebound
  • 6:10 10-feet from Blake
  • 5:25 23-feet from Blake
  • 5:20 at-rim from Nash
  • 4:45 at-rim from Nash
  • 4:20 def-rebound
  • 4:10 at-rim from Blake
  • 3:50 at-rim from Bryant
  • 2:40 off-rebound
  • 2:25 at-rim from Bryant
  • 2:20 at-rim from Bryant
  • 1:10 def-rebound
  • 0:15 def-rebound
DWIGHT’S TOUCHES (3rd QTR)
  • 10:40 10-feet from Bryant
  • 6:50 at-rim from Bryant
  • 6:15 at-rim from Nash
  • 6:10 at-rim from Bryant
  • 5:10 def-rebound
  • 4:45 def-rebound
  • 3:35 10-feet from Nash
DWIGHT’S TOUCHES (4th QTR)
  • 7:15 def-rebound
  • 4:35 at-rim from Bryant
  • 3:10 def-rebound

Halftime Report:

lyth

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:59 pm

just a really sloppy offensive game. key defensive lapse at the end. just not his night.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby The Rock on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:59 pm

I felt like I was watching Andrew Bynum tonight, damn lol he made so many dumb plays and goofed up soo many easy shots

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Coach Chris on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:Free throws are the easiest thing to correct, just like the jump shot is the easiest thing to add to your game as you age. It's all about mechanics and working hard. He simply hasn't done enough to feel comfortable at the line, therefore he doesn't do well at the line. If he shoots 100 free throws and makes 85, then in a game goes 3-12, he hasn't done enough. Tomorrow he should shoot 200.

I would never call him a mental midget, just as I would never say that he is among the most mentally strong on the team. His worse seasons from the line, as mentioned above, were last season and this. Two seasons where there was continual turmoil around him. I don't think he can mentally block things out.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Rebounded well, otherwise... not a good game. I expect him to play better on Tuesday. Too bad we'll probably lose it anyway.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Since this cam up in the game thread, here's the vid of Dwight dominating Bynum for a 20-20 not a debate on who's better, just a look at Dwight's post game pre-surgery.

Isn't this the game the one that Howard got a lot of his points when he was against Gasol? He had some nice moves in the highlights, but its the highlights what do you expect. Dwight's post game is horrible, now that he lost some of his athleticism he can't make up for it.
JLaker17

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 pm

On that play late in the game where he effed up.....

I can't believe he had the audacity to point the finger at someone else as soon as he turned around. You effed up Dwight, it's not MWP's job to chase Korver and cover your man.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm

The Hawks took him out of his comfort zone by just beating the crap out of him. In fact they did that to everybody all night. It took Dwight out of his game though while everybody else put their hat on.

His energy waned today and I didn't like that. But he's still acting as our defensive anchor and that's what we need right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Hakeem's really got his hands full with this guy. It's like he's back at square one, his offensive game extremely raw and inconsistent.
It's going to be interesting to see what he looks like after a full summer of training, finetuning and conditioning.
Hopefully, we'll get something close to "superman".

BTW, if he's watching tape, he should notice the difference it makes when he's actually setting screens. It's big.
He did get called for a couple of moving screens, but I don't mind that, a bunch of big men do that, eventually they'll let him get away with that, or he'll have to learn to stay really still. Either way, he needs to realize that slipping every screen doesn't do any good. Hard screens are much more productive.
Finwë

Postby Coach Chris on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 pm

karacha wrote:Rebounded well, otherwise... not a good game. I expect him to play better on Tuesday. Too bad we'll probably lose it anyway.

It will help if Ibaka gets suspended.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard