Dwight for Rondo has been discussed by Lakers/Celtics

Dwight for Rondo has been discussed by Lakers/Celtics

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:44 pm

One talented, hurt All star with weaknesses in his game for another?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21710534/whats-right-for-dwight-will-lakers-deal-howard

Howard said Friday that Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has told him he does not want to trade the free agent-to-be. It's the same message Kupchak delivered in a recent interview with Newsday and the same message he's given Howard's agent, Dan Fegan, in recent weeks.

However, CBSSports.com has learned that the Lakers have engaged in preliminary trade discussions with an unlikely trade partner regarding Howard: their fierce rival, the Boston Celtics. The centerpieces of the possible deal, which hasn't gained any traction, would be Howard and Rajon Rondo.

The imagination runs rampant with the tantalizing possibilities.

Other significant pieces would have to be involved, since Rondo's $11 million salary is substantially less than Howard's $19.5 million. If the Lakers dealt Howard for an All-Star point guard who is out for the rest of the season following ACL surgery, they'd effectively be throwing in the towel on this miserable, underachieving season and looking to next year.

The Celtics would be going all-in for a quick rebuild centered around Howard, with the hopes they could find a point guard in the draft or in free agency to capably run their offense – which they've managed to do in Rondo's absence anyway. Celtics president Danny Ainge has flirted with several trade possibilities for Rondo over the years, and the point guard's hyper-competitive drive and strong personality have proved difficult for coach Doc Rivers to manage.

There are at least two significant impediments to a Howard-Rondo deal. First, as Howard said Friday, the Lakers continue to insist they won't trade him, which sources say is the impression the Celtics have gotten, too. Second, Celtics president Danny Ainge would not trade Rondo without an assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston as a free agent this summer, a league source said. Howard has shown no inclination to commit to anyone, including the Lakers, until the season is over.

Since the league source familiar with the discussions characterized them as preliminary, it's possible that the talks could be tabled until after the season. In that case, Howard would have to agree to a sign-and-trade to the Celtics that would only yield him a four-year deal as opposed to the five years the Lakers could offer him (or the Celtics, if he were traded there by Feb. 21 and subsequently re-signed). The Celtics could only acquire Howard in a sign-and-trade if they eschewed their full mid-level and remained below the so-called luxury-tax apron, a threshold $4 million above the tax line that was added in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement.

While the discussions have yet to progress, if nothing else, they open a potential avenue open for the Lakers to minimize the chances of losing Howard as a free agent and getting nothing in return. In other words, a fallback plan.

Would a trade to the Celtics make Howard happy, something he admitted Friday he has only experienced "at certain points" with the Lakers this season? At this point, it's difficult to fathom what, exactly, would make Howard happy. All we know is that Howard is determined not to commit to anyone before the season is over, including the Lakers, because he wants to avoid the distractions and circus atmosphere that consumed his final months in Orlando.

"I'm not going to deal with it," Howard said. "I had to deal with it all last year; I'm not going to do it again."

Also, league sources say several other teams intrigue Howard as possible destinations. The Nets, his first choice last season, remain a viable option -- but only via a trade before Feb. 21 since the Nets are well above the tax apron. The third team on Howard's original list, the Mavericks, have plenty of cap room and tradable contracts. The Rockets, hosts for this All-Star weekend, have become more attractive, sources say.

"I like their team," Howard said of the Rockets. "They're a great team. They're young, they play together, they're scrappy. … It's fun to watch them. They're one of the teams that we can tell that in a few years is going to be really good."

During his long, clumsy exit from Orlando, Howard was in a place where he'd spent his entire career. He knew the landscape, his role in the community and what the future would be like. After a tumultuous seven months with the Lakers, I asked him what factors would weigh into his free-agent decision this time.

"I've got to do what makes me happy," Howard said. "That's it."

Asked what makes him happy, and what has made him happy in the past, Howard said, "Having fun on the court. That's what makes me happy."

Howard remains far from 100 percent after back surgery last spring, and continues to deal with a torn labrum in his right shoulder and the frayed egos and competing agendas on a struggling Lakers team. So he didn't have to answer the next question, about whether he's having as much fun as he used to. But he did answer it, honestly.

"At the present time, no," he said. "Hopefully it gets better."

Asked if he's still the best center in the NBA, Howard said, "Yes. Even at 75 percent."

But while Howard's health and happiness are still wavering, there's no doubt about the percentage chance he'll address whether he plans to stay in L.A. or leave this summer. That would be zero, presenting the kind of uncertainty that the Lakers have to at least contemplate with the trade deadline six days away.

"The only thing that matters right now is the present," Howard said. "There's no need for me to talk about what happens at the end of the season. There's no need to go back and forth about it. I just feel like at the end of the year, that's when I should have my opportunity to make my own decision. I shouldn't be pressured or criticized for waiting until the end of the year.

"Nobody can control what happens at the end of the year," Howard said.

Not yet, anyway.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Dwight for Rondo has been discussed by Lakers/Celtics

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm

I like Rondo's game... *runs away*.

Ok seriously though, that's interesting, would depend who else was throw in, like maybe Bass. Wouldn't that leave us with no Rondo this season AND next season though? ACL is no joke, look at Rose.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I am the only one that believes in giving him more of a chance? I still believe we'll make it all work.
The Laker Link

Postby Maluco Beleza on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Rondo and KG for D12
Maluco Beleza

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:51 pm

The Laker Link wrote:I am the only one that believes in giving him more of a chance? I still believe we'll make it all work.

Im right there with you. We saw what D-Wade went through from 06-08 same kinda dude who relies a lot of athleticism. I want to see him healthy after getting his surgeries fixed up and fully healed. Thats why I think we should write this year off get Pau and Howard their surgeries & get set for next year. This year these dudes mainly Dwight dont look interested at all

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm

The Laker Link wrote:I am the only one that believes in giving him more of a chance? I still believe we'll make it all work.

No, you aren't, there are plenty of people around here who want to keep Dwight going forward. I'm not one of them, but there are plenty. I see no evidence to make me think we can make it work, but I wish I did because that bright outlook would be easier.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:57 pm

This deal makes absolutely NO sense for us....Rondo is out with an ACL, and he's proably going to be out all of NEXT season too...this would be the DUMBEST deal ever. I don't like Dwight, but you don't trade him for somebody that's INJURED when you already have Pau out. The Lakers would essentially tank the rest of the season and guess what? We wouldn't get any lottery picks in this year's draft... :bang:
FabFourLakers

Postby Armani on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Boston's better without Rondo... I don't think he's nearly as good as some make him out to be. He's definitely not worth Dwight, in any case.
Armani

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:59 pm

This can't be life.. I love Rondo's game & how he steps up when it matters.. But for Dwight, with Rondo out for the season? They better be sending Bradley + KG too.
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Rondo is like the Dwight of the Center position except he doesnt talk much lol cant shoot, cant make free throws. After missing a handful of shots he gets discouraged from trying to score. We saw what Kobe on one leg did to him in the 2010 finals. The guy can rebound, defend, distribute pretty damn well but you better have 3 other shooters on the floor to space it for him

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby thkthebest on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:07 pm

:man10:

Yeah...right.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 pm

"Asked what makes him happy, and what has made him happy in the past, Howard said, "Having fun on the court. That's what makes me happy."

Mitch, no need to keep your word with this clown, get something for him before he walks. This is NOT the face of the franchise or anyone you want around going forward. Me, me, me, me. I don't want to commit one way or the other and I don't give a bleep that your franchise's future hangs in the balance on what I don't want to let you know about. Just like Orlando. God his attitude is the worst. Nothing in common with the all time greats. Just want to have fun. SMH. :bang: :bang: :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby JGC on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:11 pm

The Rock wrote:Rondo is like the Dwight of the Center position except he doesnt talk much lol cant shoot, cant make free throws. After missing a handful of shots he gets discouraged from trying to score. We saw what Kobe on one leg did to him in the 2010 finals. The guy can rebound, defend, distribute pretty damn well but you better have 3 other shooters on the floor to space it for him

I thought Kobe did an admirable job but it's not like he shut him down. Rondo averaged what 14 and 8 in that series on a good percentage. I think it was slightly below his season averages.

At any rate, I'm not really all that thrilled about a Dwight for Rondo swap.
JGC

Postby 432J on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 pm

wouldn't do it
432J

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 pm

If Dwight isnt having fun in LA with Kobe, do you really see him wanting to be teammates with a dude like KG, whos more in-your-face? :man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Johnnyboy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Howard would be stupid to leave LA. Kobe is done after next season. So basically he will make an extra $25 million just to "tough it out" playing along one of the best to ever do it. Heck...I would PAY money to play along side Kobe. After kobe leaves, the team is dwights.
Johnnyboy

Postby dmaul on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 pm

For superstars, they both have major weaknesses in their game. But Rondo has played bigger in big games. But because I'm not sure what we'd be getting with Rondo - how well will he recover from the ACL - I'd say no.
dmaul

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Rondo? I can't really see how he's fit here considering we already have Nash. Would Steve be willing to be a backup? Also who else would we get? Not a whole lot of great options seeing how KG has a massive contract and is a dinosaur by now. And wouldn't we get a lot worse since we wouldn't even have Rondo till the middle of NEXT season? Sounds like we're the ones getting the short end of the deal here.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Rondo is a guy I've hated obviously, but always respected his fight desire.

I'd almost say this was a good trade for that reason alone.

We'd be losing about 100lbs of player, but gaining immeasurable heart. :man9:
phoenixrisingla

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 pm

If ATL offered this would you do it?

Al Horford + Jeff Teague + Kyle Korver + 2 1st future round picks for Dwight

Dwight can still get his max and what not and play with his buddy Josh Smith. On the other end I'd be sitting on nails if I were ATL since there is no guarantee either guy re-signs with you

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:40 pm

The Rock wrote:If ATL offered this would you do it?

Al Horford + Jeff Teague + Kyle Korver + 2 1st future round picks for Dwight

Dwight can still get his max and what not and play with his buddy Josh Smith. On the other end I'd be sitting on nails if I were ATL since there is no guarantee either guy re-signs with you

In a heartbeat. No way ATL offers that though.
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:43 pm

if we create a bidding war next 4-5 days they might fork over. We knew NJ wants em & HOU too (HOU can sign em outright next summer)

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 pm

I don't get why this is being posted everywhere

Jimmy Buss or not, the Lakers are too smart to ever make a trade this stupid. I would rather let Dwight walk than trade him for Rondo :hurl:

Healthy Rondo was already overrated enough. Torn ACL Rondo is worth like...nothing
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby jjin28 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Kobe doesnt let nash run point and we gonna get rondo who cant even shoot? Sorry, i love kobe, but a ball dominant point guard does not work. We won all our chips with the likes of harper, shaw, fisher.
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby revgen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Makes sense. D'Antoni is our coach. Nash and Rondo at 1 & 2, Kobe at 3, Metta at 4, and Pau/Clark at 5 makes more sense than having two 7-footers.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion