Dwight gives high praises for Kobe

Dwight gives high praises for Kobe

Postby The Rock on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Lakers center Dwight Howard gave more praise to Kobe Bryant on Tuesday night's Time Warner Cable SportsNet special titled "Connected With...Dwight Howard."

"I do appreciate what [Bryant's] doing," said Howard to host Kevin Frazier. "We've talked all year. We've had conversations on the bus rides and the planes just about how to become that icon that I want to be."

Howard said Bryant has helped him become a better player.

"He's just pushing me," said Howard. "I need somebody to push me.... He's the guy who can show me because he's been through every single thing. One thing I can admire about him is the fact that he has five rings."

The Lakers center also noted that widespread adulation can lead to laziness in others, but not with Bryant.

"You stop doing the things that you did to get there but for him, he hasn't done that," Howard said. "He's in the gym every day. He's getting his treatment. He's in the weight room. He's getting his shots up and that shows greatness."

Howard also noted he's still learning from Bryant's ability to ignore criticism.

"I just have to learn how to just have tunnel vision," he said. "I see Kobe, he doesn't allow what anybody says affect who he is as a player because he knows who he is -- and you know I'm learning that. I'm learning how to do that."

Howard said he and Bryant have been communicating since they played against each other in the 2009 NBA Finals. He said he took Bryant's advice to make 1,000 jump shots a day.

"From that day on that's what I started doing," said Howard. "It really had got my confidence up."

After back surgery in April, Howard wasn't able to train all summer. In addition to tingling in his legs and a lack of stamina, Howard looked rusty throughout the first half of the season.

"When you have a major injury, sometimes it can affect you mentally," said Howard. "I think this has made me stronger."

Since the All-Star break, Howard has looked significantly fresher and the Lakers have starting to win consistently, climbing to 34-31.

Howard still wouldn't talk about his future beyond this season, saying any focus away from the task at hand is nothing more than a distraction.

Howard downplayed the notion he and Bryant have a tense relationship.

"I don't think there's any friction between us," he said. We both want to win and we want to make history and that's our goal right there."

The Lakers visit the Atlanta Hawks (34-29) on Wednesday night.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-howard-needs-kobe-pushing-him-20130313,0,2499481.story

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Dwight gives high praises for Kobe

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 pm

...and Barkley was recently quoted as saying 24 should get off Howard's back? :man3:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Good stuff to hear, makes me think the chances Dwight re-signs here AND is happy doing it are high. Dwight's never been in this big of a spotlight with a guy like Kobe expecting greatness from him on top of it, it started off rocky, but it's looking a lot better now. I do think there was legit tension earlier this season up to the AS break between the entire team, and of course Kobe and Dwight. I believe most of those reports but not all (like that NY tabloid one about Dwight mocking Kobe in the AS game locker room, please), but things are looking up, like realdeal told me weeks ago, winning cures all. I still think it goes both ways in that winning alone doesn't fix everything, attitudes needed to be changed, sacrifices needed to be made in order to START winning, but now that it's here it's a big cure for the locker room.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:24 pm

gcclaker wrote:...and Barkley was recently quoted as saying 24 should get off Howard's back? :man3:

Don't mind him it was probably the whiskey.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:27 pm

^ I'm with you.

There was a fundamental change that happened at some point between BOTH Kobe and Dwight. I think most recently Dwight has seen Kobe doing these incredible things and it reinforced something in his head that he had kind of forgotten: Kobe walks the talk. He doesn't just shoot 30 times a game for no reason. He doesn't just have 6 turnovers for no reason. It's not lack of preparedness. It's that he wants to win more than anything and in those moments he's trying to do something to help the team win. If he's shooting too much or passing too much, it's because he thinks that's what we need to do to win.

Howard, having never played with Kobe, probably thought all of those things were just Kobe being selfish. That's always been the mantra of Kobe, right? He cares more about himself than he does about the team.

When in reality Kobe cares more about winning than he does anything else. And since he's the one who's put in the most work, he trusts himself the most to make it happen. Does that make him selfish? I don't think so.

Dwight seems to be picking up EXACTLY what we wanted him to pick up from day one. He certainly seems to be growing as a person and as a player. I think in that Orlando game we saw the Dwight that he can be for the next 4-5 years consistently if he stays healthy. A beast defensively, a beast on the glass, and focused when the whistle blows. When the play stops, it's alright to smile and to laugh. But when it's game time, it's time to kill whoever is on the other team. He's getting there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 pm

anyone know where i can see the interview from last night
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
DuddlyDoRight

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:32 pm

^In the beginning, Howard was not prepared for this much GLARE of a spotlight plus having to live with the demands of a storied franchise. He was the face of the franchise in Orlando but it is a huge step up to try and be groomed for L.A. His good friend Josh Smith touched up on this recently.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm

This is great news. I'm so glad they've come to an understanding with each other. They might never be best friends but it seems like their relationship is much improved. When you're two leaders of the squad are getting along & now winning, then everyone is happy.

I believe Dwight has went through a stage where he had to humble himself, IMO. He came from being in Orlando as the Number 1 option to a team where Kobe has been the face of the franchise for years. He had to adjust to being in Los Angeles & the expectations. He had to deal with his health. There was a lot there for a young man to cope with who has never had the experience of dealing with those things before. It's the process of maturating and growing as a person.

Now, he's in a place mentally where he's getting more healthy & playing at a high level; he knows the expectations and what's expected. Now, he can go out there and, "play free."
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Alright this love fest between our team is starting to go overboard :man10:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:59 pm

All we need is Earl Clark to be the new candy man :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby last stand on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ I'm with you.

There was a fundamental change that happened at some point between BOTH Kobe and Dwight. I think most recently Dwight has seen Kobe doing these incredible things and it reinforced something in his head that he had kind of forgotten: Kobe walks the talk. He doesn't just shoot 30 times a game for no reason. He doesn't just have 6 turnovers for no reason. It's not lack of preparedness. It's that he wants to win more than anything and in those moments he's trying to do something to help the team win. If he's shooting too much or passing too much, it's because he thinks that's what we need to do to win.

Howard, having never played with Kobe, probably thought all of those things were just Kobe being selfish. That's always been the mantra of Kobe, right? He cares more about himself than he does about the team.

When in reality Kobe cares more about winning than he does anything else. And since he's the one who's put in the most work, he trusts himself the most to make it happen. Does that make him selfish? I don't think so.

Dwight seems to be picking up EXACTLY what we wanted him to pick up from day one. He certainly seems to be growing as a person and as a player. I think in that Orlando game we saw the Dwight that he can be for the next 4-5 years consistently if he stays healthy. A beast defensively, a beast on the glass, and focused when the whistle blows. When the play stops, it's alright to smile and to laugh. But when it's game time, it's time to kill whoever is on the other team. He's getting there.

Also I think him getting healthier has probably alleviates some tension and worry he had himself which probably made Dwight a tense person overall.

Also I do think part of Dwight expected to come into LA and rule the land so to speak. I think he was irked by Kobe being the lakers essentially. Now I think he's understanding why that is
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Alright this love fest between our team is starting to go overboard :man10:

Nah, it's exactly what this particular team needs, it's a team full of good dudes who don't function well in a bad locker room environment. Nash, Howard, Jamison, Meeks, these are nice guys, I think they function better with a positive environment, where guys like Kobe, MWP, and even Blake can get chippy and function just fine or even thrive no matter what (though to be fair Nash can too as he doesn't back down from anyone or any big game). I especially enjoyed all the hugs and support Dwight was getting from Kobe and co in the Orlando game. Those Phil teams didn't need to be all buddy buddy, that wasn't even Phil's style and it worked, and those teams had guys that could play mad or could be jerks on the court and enjoy it (Kobe, Bynum, Farmar for example), but this team seems to need that buddy buddy stuff to do well on the court. I think I've lost my main point now and am rambling so I'll stop. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:14 pm

As I said in another thread: Winning cures everything.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:14 pm

It's just because we're winning. If we were still losing, none of this would be happening and the finger pointing would have continued. Winning, truly, cures all.

So let's just keep doing that shall we boys!
JGC

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

JGC wrote:It's just because we're winning. If we were still losing, none of this would be happening and the finger pointing would have continued. Winning, truly, cures all.

I just can't agree that it's that simple. Something had to change with the players attitudes and accepting of roles first to put us on this path of winning. Howard himself said as much in his interview last night.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:28 pm

DuddlyDoRight wrote:anyone know where i can see the interview from last night

I was asking same question in D12 topic, i hope CaCHooKa will upload it :)
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby escitnj on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Really glad we're hearing more things like this from Dwight...but one thing. Why won't he just come out and say that he'll be a Laker for life? He keeps saying his goal is to live in the present moment and right now its to win a championship. This is a great thing, don't get me wrong. And he's happy with where he is which I'm happy about. But he always avoids the long-term questions and refuses to state any sort of intentions about where he wants to stay and what he wants in the future. Is this just another way of saying he wants to stay but doesn't want to make any promises incase something unpredictable happens? I suppose that's a smart way to go about it. Or is his re-signing here contingent on winning a championship THIS year? Because technically, Dwight Howard only has this year since his contract ends at the end of this season. Why can't he just say I'm Dwight Howard, and I plan on sticking with the Purple & Gold, Los Angeles Lakers for life?
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

-Kobe Bean Bryant

"Basketball, unlike football with its prescribed routes, is an improvisational game, similar to jazz. If someone drops a note, someone else must step into the vacuum and drive the beat that sustains the team."

PHIL JACKSON, The Last Season
escitnj

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Because he hasn't decided that obviously. And if he says it then changes his mind later he looks really bad, so he will deal with that when free agency is here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby escitnj on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Touchee.
We'll see what happens when the time comes then! :jam2:
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

-Kobe Bean Bryant

"Basketball, unlike football with its prescribed routes, is an improvisational game, similar to jazz. If someone drops a note, someone else must step into the vacuum and drive the beat that sustains the team."

PHIL JACKSON, The Last Season
escitnj

Postby JGC on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Weezy wrote:
JGC wrote:It's just because we're winning. If we were still losing, none of this would be happening and the finger pointing would have continued. Winning, truly, cures all.

I just can't agree that it's that simple. Something had to change with the players attitudes and accepting of roles first to put us on this path of winning. Howard himself said as much in his interview last night.

Well, of course Howard said that. What else do you expect him to say? That as long as we kept losing he was going to continue to be miserable and not give 100%? Haha.

The acceptance of the roles, happened because we were winning. I mean, it's not just Howard. It's everyone. They've messed around with roles all season. It's not like they all just miraculously accepted their roles all at the same time and then boom because of that, we're winning. Haha. They were trying different things, they found a combination that worked, which resulted in wins, which, as we know, cures all.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm

But Howard's effort went up dramatically and his attitude on the court was better from the first game after the break. When he plays well and gives his all we usually win. We've won 9 of our last 11, all after the break with Dwight playing night and day better and you think Howard is just saying that? Come on, look at the evidence, it's right there for all to see. It started with Kobe and Nash changing their roles, it continued with Dwight changing his outlook and attitude and the rest of the team followed from there.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wallangong on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Weezy wrote:But Howard's effort went up dramatically and his attitude on the court was better from the first game after the break. When he plays well and gives his all we usually win. We've won 9 of our last 11, all after the break with Dwight playing night and day better and you think Howard is just saying that? Come on, look at the evidence, it's right there for all to see. It started with Kobe and Nash changing their roles, it continued with Dwight changing his outlook and attitude and the rest of the team followed from there.

i also think the passing of Dr. Buss was a sort of epiphany for Howard. but no, Dwight's just "saying that." :man11:
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby JGC on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:09 am

Weezy wrote:But Howard's effort went up dramatically and his attitude on the court was better from the first game after the break. When he plays well and gives his all we usually win. We've won 9 of our last 11, all after the break with Dwight playing night and day better and you think Howard is just saying that? Come on, look at the evidence, it's right there for all to see. It started with Kobe and Nash changing their roles, it continued with Dwight changing his outlook and attitude and the rest of the team followed from there.

His effort went up a few games prior to the break I thought. Right about the time when Kobe started playing facilitator and then D12 came back from his injury is where he seemed to pick things up a bit. But he wasn't praising Kobe then. And he wasn't praising Kobe right after the ASB either in fact, there was all that drama about how they didn't say hi to each other in the locker room, and he was making of Kobe or something to the other players.

I do agree it started with Kobe changing his role (and Nash too), but I think the attitude of Howard (and the other guys mind you) started to shift once we started winning ball games and once we had won a whole bunch, culminated in this quote from Howard. It's not like the moment ASB ended, Howard was happy-go-lucky and then we started winning. We found a way to click on the court, that resulted in wins, and that results in happy-go-lucky players.

This is a common phenomenon in the NBA (and well, all sports really). The small stuff is magnified when you're losing and easily overlooked when you're winning.
JGC

Return to Lakers Discussion