D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (cleared for 5-on-5 - Pg 703)

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Doc Brown wrote:http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/121015scrimmage_highlights

Highlights from today.....

Yeah...great defense by Morris Mike Brown....
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:48 am

Finwë wrote:I think he wants the fans' first impression of him to be of his true 100% self.. I don't think he wants people to explain "well he's not exactly peak form yet.. his legs are getting stronger", I think he wants to come out looking like the demi-god he's always been, wowing the crowd with a couple of thunderous dunks.

Definitely. I'm okay with that, especially this early. I'm just really eager to see him on the floor and to see this starting five get started. It's going to be so much fun. Just watching our play with Sacre we look fantastic in our starting five. With Howard we're going to look unbeatable.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:I think he wants the fans' first impression of him to be of his true 100% self.. I don't think he wants people to explain "well he's not exactly peak form yet.. his legs are getting stronger", I think he wants to come out looking like the demi-god he's always been, wowing the crowd with a couple of thunderous dunks.

Definitely. I'm okay with that, especially this early. I'm just really eager to see him on the floor and to see this starting five get started. It's going to be so much fun. Just watching our play with Sacre we look fantastic in our starting five. With Howard we're going to look unbeatable.

Exactly the way I'm feeling. I just can't wait to see our 5 starters out there meshing and beginning to look in sync. Having said that though, I'm very willing to go through of more preseason games with Sacre at the 5 if that's what it takes to have Howard come out in tip top form.

I keep picturing this scenario: Nash and Howard P&R (individually would make the best P&R duo in the L btw), with Gasol at the high post (exploiting his mid-range game and his passing skills), Kobe on the weak side attracting the D as an ever present threat, and Metta on the corner ready to shoot the catch and shoot 3. Unstoppable.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:18 pm

^ Yep. And just when teams decide "okay well we better collapse then" we have this guy named Kobe Bryant who's going to be just waiting out there.

We thought he was the Mamba before? Well now he's going to get to pick his time to attack. I don't know if you watched the last pre-season game, but the end of the 2nd quarter Kobe just put on a show. He picked up the team and decided "yeah, it's my turn".

As good as we've looked with Sacre, Howard is going to be unstoppable. Go ahead and double off of Dwight on Pau. I dare you. Oh? You want to sag off of Kobe Bryant and Metta World Peace? Go ahead and try it. And where I read that teams will force Nash to shoot the ball... He's a 50/40/90 guy. I like my chances.

The bottom line is that the Lakers starting five, if they stay healthy and have some prolonged time together, can be the best starting five the league has seen. But I can wait. Even if Howard sits out the rest of this week... it'll be worth it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Yep. And just when teams decide "okay well we better collapse then" we have this guy named Kobe Bryant who's going to be just waiting out there.

We thought he was the Mamba before? Well now he's going to get to pick his time to attack. I don't know if you watched the last pre-season game, but the end of the 2nd quarter Kobe just put on a show. He picked up the team and decided "yeah, it's my turn".

As good as we've looked with Sacre, Howard is going to be unstoppable. Go ahead and double off of Dwight on Pau. I dare you. Oh? You want to sag off of Kobe Bryant and Metta World Peace? Go ahead and try it. And where I read that teams will force Nash to shoot the ball... He's a 50/40/90 guy. I like my chances.

The bottom line is that the Lakers starting five, if they stay healthy and have some prolonged time together, can be the best starting five the league has seen. But I can wait. Even if Howard sits out the rest of this week... it'll be worth it.

Pretty much.

I did watch the last preseason game, and I thought the same about Kobe's performance, it was awesome.
What was a nice surprise to me (I hadn't thought about it before) is that with Nash handling the ball, not only does Kobe get to pick and choose his spots - better save his legs - take better (more open) shots; he also is freed up to chase after offensive rebounds.
Kobe's not the guy that's just gonna stand in the corner and space the floor even after shots go up, if he's not involved as a scorer or as a facilitator in a particular possession, he's not gonna just stand there, he's gonna find a way to contribute, and in most cases it's gonna be by going after loose ball and crashing the offensive glass. There were a couple of possessions where Kobe wasn't very involved in the scheme, but after a shot went up he went HARD and up and got the rebound (which led to FTs).

Another benefit is that he's gonna get more trips to the line for sure. With Nash distributing (plus the level of attention our other starters get from the D) and Kobe's ability to read the D and cut to open spaces, he's gonna get plenty opportunities near the basket & paint area, and he'll either finish (layup-dunk-little J), draw a foul, or find the open guy for an easy one.. The last game was a perfect example of that-> Kobe shot like 12 FTs in the first half!
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 pm

That stretch by Kobe I've watched with CaChooka's highlights at least a half a dozen times because he literally caused 3 straight turnovers and then went to the line 3/4 of the next possessions.

GREAT point about him having the ability to go after rebounds. Now that I think about it, he's definitely had his hand in there on a LOT of loose ball opportunities. I hadn't even thought about that.

Pulling this back into the topic of Dwight Howard: when Dwight comes back, Kobe will have even more room to find shots because someone might be tempted to leave Sacre, but NO ONE is going to leave Dwight Howard. Something I think we'll see a lot of is Kobe coming off of those dual screens by Artest and Howard. Then Artest fades to the corner and Howard rolls to the basket. Kobe gets either a wide open mid range jumper, Artest gets a wide open three, or Dwight gets a lob at the rim.

This was actually run by Nash in the last game. It was the one shot he made.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:That stretch by Kobe I've watched with CaChooka's highlights at least a half a dozen times because he literally caused 3 straight turnovers and then went to the line 3/4 of the next possessions.

GREAT point about him having the ability to go after rebounds. Now that I think about it, he's definitely had his hand in there on a LOT of loose ball opportunities. I hadn't even thought about that.

Pulling this back into the topic of Dwight Howard: when Dwight comes back, Kobe will have even more room to find shots because someone might be tempted to leave Sacre, but NO ONE is going to leave Dwight Howard. Something I think we'll see a lot of is Kobe coming off of those dual screens by Artest and Howard. Then Artest fades to the corner and Howard rolls to the basket. Kobe gets either a wide open mid range jumper, Artest gets a wide open three, or Dwight gets a lob at the rim.

This was actually run by Nash in the last game. It was the one shot he made.

I forgot to point out that Kobe's effort on the glass (and on D) isn't just a result of schemes, it's also a benefit of being more rested as a result of not having to carry the scoring load AND the playmaking load. He gets to save his legs, and that should not only make him more effective offensively(in the clutch too, like Nash pointed out in one of those practice reports), but like we were saying, it allows him to play harder D and go harder for rebounds. Just awesome.

Howard. You are definitely right, his comeback will be HUGE for us, on both ends of the floor. I bet we could spend all day talking about seemingly unstoppable plays that could lead to open shots for all of our guys.

I just can't ****ing wait for October 31! :jam2:
Finwë

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Mike Trudell‏@LakersReporter

Kobe, last night, asked about @DwightHoward's return: "He's extremely close."
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:24 pm

I expect Dwight to play in the last two preseason games, especially the one against the Clippers. :man1:
XXIV

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:47 am

I would just hold him out till the season opener. I'd hate to see him reaggrivate that back injury in a meaningless exhibition game.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:12 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:I would just hold him out till the season opener. I'd hate to see him reaggrivate that back injury in a meaningless exhibition game.

we'd hate to see him re-aggravate that injury no matter what.

thing is, he needs to get in to the flow of the game. at least with preseason games, not everyone is trying (except the clippers), so he can at least get his motions down.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:35 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:I would just hold him out till the season opener. I'd hate to see him reaggrivate that back injury in a meaningless exhibition game.

we'd hate to see him re-aggravate that injury no matter what.

thing is, he needs to get in to the flow of the game. at least with preseason games, not everyone is trying (except the clippers), so he can at least get his motions down.

^This.

If he aggravates it in one of the last 2 preseason games, he would've done the same in the early games of the regular season. If the medical staff says he's ready, get him some reps out there.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:23 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i think hes gonna play on friday

IMO he should have been playing already if it's just conditioning. There is no way to get into "game shape" without playing games. These preseason games are on TWC anyway, so it's not like the whole world is watching. Heck, large parts of LA can't even watch them yet. Get out and play and get ready for October 30th when the TNT game comes on.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:31 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
XXIV wrote:I expect Dwight to play in the last two preseason games, especially the one against the Clippers. :man1:

I can't wait to see how much he abuses DeAndre Jordan.

Jordan is one of the most pathetic post defenders I've ever seen.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Here's the rest of the preseason schedule:

In an ideal world, Dwight comes back to play in 2 games: Sunday versus Sacramento & Wednesday against the Clippers. No need to play any of our key players on the 2nd night of a back-to-back in the preseason that last game next Thursday.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:36 pm

There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:38 pm

:man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:40 pm

purp n gold wrote:Image

:man10: :jam2: :bow:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm

^^^Dwight doing his best Mitch impression, with Mitch looking on from the back, not amused. :man9:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:19 pm

purp n gold wrote:Image

:mhihi:

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby BDG on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Haha I forgot Stephen A was saying that ... never bought it though.

I still give the guy props for usually being correct with his sources.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 pm

https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/259167638314434560

Lakers eye Dwight Howard debut Sun vs Sac,sources tell Y! DW expected to play in 2 of last 3 pre games but not both back to backs.Story soon

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 pm

:jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51 pm

The Rock wrote:https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/259167638314434560

Lakers eye Dwight Howard debut Sun vs Sac,sources tell Y! DW expected to play in 2 of last 3 pre games but not both back to backs.Story soon

Yes, I AM some kind of sorcerer. Thank you for asking. :mhihi:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard