D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm glad to hear Dwight is doing so well and seemingly coming back sooner than they first thought, but at the same time I'd almost rather they were extra cautious and keep him out until they are absolutely certain he's 100%.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm glad to hear Dwight is doing so well and seemingly coming back sooner than they first thought, but at the same time I'd almost rather they were extra cautious and keep him out until they are absolutely certain he's 100%.

^^ I think they will Weezy. As optimistic as everyone is right now, D12 himself has said there's no timetable and he won't come back until he's cleared for it. They won't risk it. It's just nice to see them dispelling Stephen A's nonsense about not coming back til January at the earliest.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:48 pm

Sam Amick of SI wrote:EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Dwight Howard left his new team's practice facility Wednesday in much the same way he had in the three weeks before: off the court that sits beneath all those retired jerseys of Lakers legends, past the friendly staffer at the front who's been predicting -- no, requesting -- between 65 and 70 wins this season and into the passenger seat of the black Escalade that awaited him just outside the door en route to Nash St. and the 405.

Another successful session at training camp was in the books, with Howard yet another step closer to his official return from April back surgery and the notion that these new-look Lakers will be nearly unstoppable seeming more real by the day. And Howard, who hoarded the NBA spotlight so mercilessly in the nine months that led to his mid-August trade from Orlando, continued this seamless transition that should have the rest of the league even more scared than before.

From the local Clippers squad that is a distant second-fiddle once again in Los Angeles to the other 28 teams that already had plenty to worry about with what the Heat and Thunder have in store, Lakers opponents needed this to go very differently. They needed Howard to take the diva route, to declare the Lakers his team and act as if he couldn't be uncomfortable in a place where he wasn't, well, center of attention.

But nothing of the sort has happened. Here in Laker Land -- where Kobe Bryant is known to come and go in cherry-red Ferraris and helicopters, Metta World Peace lives a double life as a stand-up comic and Steve Nash celebrated his arrival with locals by receiving a can of beer from a fan through the window of his speeding car on the freeway -- Howard's occasional penchant for preening isn't likely to stand out quite like it did in Orlando.

What's more, Howard -- the free-agent-to-be who so desperately wanted to usher in the new Nets era in Brooklyn before being dealt to L.A. -- is embracing this fortuitous twist of fate.

Like the rest of the basketball universe, sources close to him say they'd be shocked if Howard -- who can get a fifth year and an annual 7.5 percent raise with the Lakers as opposed to a four-year deal with a 4.5 percent raises with any other team next summer -- doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Lakers in July. The drama, in other words, is over for now. And the dominance, most likely, is about to begin.

Howard, in case you forgot while tracking the endless twists and turns of his "Dwightmare," is the premier defensive player in the game and the sort of athlete that even sparks awe among his industry peers. The idea that he'll be, to an extent, a role player in the Lakers' system is where it gets unfair for their foes. This week has been a reminder of that reality, as Lakers players and coaches alike have been showering Howard with the sort of praise that is rarely seen at this level.

Lakers assistant and 13-year pro Chuck Person has been among that group, having worked with fellow assistant Darvin Ham and Howard recently and coming to the quick conclusion that the big man is more than capable of being remembered as one of the greats.

"I've been teammates with David Robinson, Tim Duncan, obviously Shaq was around, Jermaine O' Neal, and I worked with (former Lakers center Andrew) Bynum," Person told SI.com. "But I tell you, he has the best feet combined with explosiveness and power that I've ever seen. And I can say that with conviction.

"I'm totally shocked by how good his feet are. If you have a big man with feet as good as his, with the power, strength and quickness, you could potentially have a legendary post player."

The key, though, is that it hasn't been all about Howard. It's the Lakers, not just him, which Howard talks about in those daily skull sessions with the staff. Fair or not, this element was seriously in question when Howard's universe was overshadowing all else in Orlando.

"He came in as a selfless superstar, and asked us 'What do we need him to do?'" Person said of Howard, who is not yet cleared for five-on-five action but is hoping to debut for the Lakers in their final two preseason games. "He saw that we were here for him and always available. Any time you want to come work out or sit and talk, we're there.

"He understands that we're here for him and his teammates. To me, that was the beginning of a terrific marriage potentially."

Lakers coach Mike Brown has been equally ecstatic.

"He's powerful, he's quick, he's athletic, strong, takes up a lot of space," Brown said. "He's a guy who can get on the block and score against anybody because of all those different combinations. If he wanted to, he could attack somebody's body and shoot a jump hook that's a good look every time. He's not a guy who's going to be able to shoot a turnaround jump shot like an (Hakeem) Olajuwon, he's not going to need to shoot a skyhook like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, he's not going to be a big like Dirk Nowitzki and step outside the three-point line and shoot a three, but what he's capable of doing on the block with his quickness and his speed and all that other stuff is almost unstoppable.

"Who he is and what he brings to the table, I think is good. He doesn't need to go way out of his box to be dominant. He doesn't need to do what Tim Duncan does in order to be dominant. He just needs to be himself."

Yet being himself was supposed to be a problem here. As his devilish dance with the Magic dragged on throughout this year, the player who was once branded as fun loving and more charitable in the community than most was suddenly seen as indecisive and egocentric. People questioned how his alleged act would jive with King Bryant. But it's clear, so far, that his personality is hardly a problem.

Lost in the media day headlines about Bryant declaring obvious ownership of the team was the fact that he laid out a clear succession plan for Howard, acknowledging that the incumbent's days are numbered and that the Lakers will be Howard's soon enough. From Bryant to Nash and all the rest, there has been nary a negative comment lobbed his way.

"Dwight looks great," said Nash, who came to the Lakers via sign-and-trade from Phoenix on July 4. "He seems happy and comfortable. He's been all ears, listening and trying to pick up what he can. He's had a great attitude, and seems like somebody who's thrilled to be here just like I am.

"He's been a pleasure to play with, whether it be in September or the first few days of camp. He's got a lot of energy, and he's definitely excited and giving energy, so it's great."

And, to this point, a great fit.

"I don't think just because I play with the Lakers means I have to walk around and not smile and have fun," Howard said. "I think Magic (Johnson) played with a smile on his face. But at the same time, you have a job to do. At the same time, I've been playing this game a long time, and I've been very successful the way I play.

"When you have fun, you win games and everything flows. We're not trying to bring back anything, relive or do something that another team did. We want to write our own history and do something for ourselves. That's what we're here for."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersStan24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:24 am

Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com on the health of Lakers C Dwight Howard.

Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 am

I like how the Lakers have been so ho hum about Dwight's return date.

It's like, there's not real expectation (except for returning before Nov/Dec), but we're not holding that against him, so there's no disappointment.

It also seems that the "real date" seems closer than we all know, makes the media (BSPN cough) make assumptions about his return, and he's probably ahead of schedule.

Can't say I miss waiting for Bynum to "heal" anymore, from the sounds of things with Dwight, he's ready to go.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 am

JSM wrote:
Sam Amick of SI wrote:EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Dwight Howard left his new team's practice facility Wednesday in much the same way he had in the three weeks before: off the court that sits beneath all those retired jerseys of Lakers legends, past the friendly staffer at the front who's been predicting -- no, requesting -- between 65 and 70 wins this season and into the passenger seat of the black Escalade that awaited him just outside the door en route to Nash St. and the 405.

Another successful session at training camp was in the books, with Howard yet another step closer to his official return from April back surgery and the notion that these new-look Lakers will be nearly unstoppable seeming more real by the day. And Howard, who hoarded the NBA spotlight so mercilessly in the nine months that led to his mid-August trade from Orlando, continued this seamless transition that should have the rest of the league even more scared than before.

From the local Clippers squad that is a distant second-fiddle once again in Los Angeles to the other 28 teams that already had plenty to worry about with what the Heat and Thunder have in store, Lakers opponents needed this to go very differently. They needed Howard to take the diva route, to declare the Lakers his team and act as if he couldn't be uncomfortable in a place where he wasn't, well, center of attention.

But nothing of the sort has happened. Here in Laker Land -- where Kobe Bryant is known to come and go in cherry-red Ferraris and helicopters, Metta World Peace lives a double life as a stand-up comic and Steve Nash celebrated his arrival with locals by receiving a can of beer from a fan through the window of his speeding car on the freeway -- Howard's occasional penchant for preening isn't likely to stand out quite like it did in Orlando.

What's more, Howard -- the free-agent-to-be who so desperately wanted to usher in the new Nets era in Brooklyn before being dealt to L.A. -- is embracing this fortuitous twist of fate.

Like the rest of the basketball universe, sources close to him say they'd be shocked if Howard -- who can get a fifth year and an annual 7.5 percent raise with the Lakers as opposed to a four-year deal with a 4.5 percent raises with any other team next summer -- doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Lakers in July. The drama, in other words, is over for now. And the dominance, most likely, is about to begin.

Howard, in case you forgot while tracking the endless twists and turns of his "Dwightmare," is the premier defensive player in the game and the sort of athlete that even sparks awe among his industry peers. The idea that he'll be, to an extent, a role player in the Lakers' system is where it gets unfair for their foes. This week has been a reminder of that reality, as Lakers players and coaches alike have been showering Howard with the sort of praise that is rarely seen at this level.

Lakers assistant and 13-year pro Chuck Person has been among that group, having worked with fellow assistant Darvin Ham and Howard recently and coming to the quick conclusion that the big man is more than capable of being remembered as one of the greats.

"I've been teammates with David Robinson, Tim Duncan, obviously Shaq was around, Jermaine O' Neal, and I worked with (former Lakers center Andrew) Bynum," Person told SI.com. "But I tell you, he has the best feet combined with explosiveness and power that I've ever seen. And I can say that with conviction.

"I'm totally shocked by how good his feet are. If you have a big man with feet as good as his, with the power, strength and quickness, you could potentially have a legendary post player."

The key, though, is that it hasn't been all about Howard. It's the Lakers, not just him, which Howard talks about in those daily skull sessions with the staff. Fair or not, this element was seriously in question when Howard's universe was overshadowing all else in Orlando.

"He came in as a selfless superstar, and asked us 'What do we need him to do?'" Person said of Howard, who is not yet cleared for five-on-five action but is hoping to debut for the Lakers in their final two preseason games. "He saw that we were here for him and always available. Any time you want to come work out or sit and talk, we're there.

"He understands that we're here for him and his teammates. To me, that was the beginning of a terrific marriage potentially."

Lakers coach Mike Brown has been equally ecstatic.

"He's powerful, he's quick, he's athletic, strong, takes up a lot of space," Brown said. "He's a guy who can get on the block and score against anybody because of all those different combinations. If he wanted to, he could attack somebody's body and shoot a jump hook that's a good look every time. He's not a guy who's going to be able to shoot a turnaround jump shot like an (Hakeem) Olajuwon, he's not going to need to shoot a skyhook like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, he's not going to be a big like Dirk Nowitzki and step outside the three-point line and shoot a three, but what he's capable of doing on the block with his quickness and his speed and all that other stuff is almost unstoppable.

"Who he is and what he brings to the table, I think is good. He doesn't need to go way out of his box to be dominant. He doesn't need to do what Tim Duncan does in order to be dominant. He just needs to be himself."

Yet being himself was supposed to be a problem here. As his devilish dance with the Magic dragged on throughout this year, the player who was once branded as fun loving and more charitable in the community than most was suddenly seen as indecisive and egocentric. People questioned how his alleged act would jive with King Bryant. But it's clear, so far, that his personality is hardly a problem.

Lost in the media day headlines about Bryant declaring obvious ownership of the team was the fact that he laid out a clear succession plan for Howard, acknowledging that the incumbent's days are numbered and that the Lakers will be Howard's soon enough. From Bryant to Nash and all the rest, there has been nary a negative comment lobbed his way.

"Dwight looks great," said Nash, who came to the Lakers via sign-and-trade from Phoenix on July 4. "He seems happy and comfortable. He's been all ears, listening and trying to pick up what he can. He's had a great attitude, and seems like somebody who's thrilled to be here just like I am.

"He's been a pleasure to play with, whether it be in September or the first few days of camp. He's got a lot of energy, and he's definitely excited and giving energy, so it's great."

And, to this point, a great fit.

"I don't think just because I play with the Lakers means I have to walk around and not smile and have fun," Howard said. "I think Magic (Johnson) played with a smile on his face. But at the same time, you have a job to do. At the same time, I've been playing this game a long time, and I've been very successful the way I play.

"When you have fun, you win games and everything flows. We're not trying to bring back anything, relive or do something that another team did. We want to write our own history and do something for ourselves. That's what we're here for."
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:19 am

I quoted that read for this page because it's awesome.

Something I really am getting from reading all of these things on Dwight is how great of a teammate he actually is. While we all crushed him for opting in a year with Orlando (a move that cemented him coming here by the way), that move in a way was an indication of the kind of guy he is.

He wanted so badly to make things work in Orlando he did something he didn't want to do.

He's going to bring that same relentlessly uplifting attitude here and I think with a fresh start and all of this incredible talent, we're going to see special things from him this season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:33 am

One of the big things that stood out to me in that article...

I really don't want this to turn into another Dwight vs. Drew debate,, but just had to throw this out there. To me, the difference is Dwight sees this as an opportunity, whereas Drew saw it as a job. That changes their attitude and general approach towards all work that is put in before and after those 48 minutes a night. Dwight seems so eager to learn from everyone he can. From Cap to the assistant coaches to the players (Kobe, Nash, Pau, MWP).

I don't think Dwight will ever quit trying to be the best player he can possibly be, which is a breath of fresh air for a dominant force who goes by Superman...if only the last Superman had that same attitude he would have gone down as the GOAT.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:10 am

Agreed on all counts. I can't help but feel like the team infrastructure is comparing Dwight to all of the bigs they've ever seen (Bynum of course and Shaq) and they're loving his attitude so much that they're gushing.

Two things that stand out to me are that Kobe is completely in on him. I think before saw the potential in Drew, but Drew wanted to branch out and that kind of died off. Kobe is on Dwight being the future and that's big to me.

The other thing is that Dwight seems to want to learn and improve (like you said), but he also wants to create his own branch within this legacy and I think that's a great point. He wanted Brooklyn because he wanted to build that franchise by himself and I get that. But now that he's here, he wants to carve his own legacy out of what we've already been given and I think that's awesome.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 am

JSM wrote:if only the last Superman had that same attitude he would have gone down as the GOAT.

Easily. Unfortunately, Shaq saw it as a job too; at least most of the time. And that wasn't enough to become the GOAT despite his enormous talent and physical gifts.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 am

JSM wrote:I don't think Dwight will ever quit trying to be the best player he can possibly be, which is a breath of fresh air for a dominant force who goes by Superman...if only the last Superman had that same attitude he would have gone down as the GOAT.

Yes, it looks like this re-boot is more promising from a professional standpoint. O'Neal took his athleticism and talent for granted. Howard does not appear to.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am

"I've been teammates with David Robinson, Tim Duncan, obviously Shaq was around, Jermaine O' Neal, and I worked with [former Lakers center Andrew] Bynum," Person told SI.com. "But I tell you, he has the best feet combined with explosiveness and power that I've ever seen. And I can say that with conviction. "I'm totally shocked by how good his feet are. If you have a big man with feet as good as his, with the power, strength and quickness, you could potentially have a legendary post player."
Ariza3

Postby last stand on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:51 am

dwight has the tools. lets hope kareem and kobe can harness all of that and bring the killer instinct.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm

You know how they say winning cures everything? Well look at LeBron James. Most hated man in sports since the Decision BS, than he wins a championship, and all of sudden you have all these people on his nuts sayings he's the great thing since sliced bread after just one championship.

I think if you talk to fans around the league that aren't Lakers fans they'll tell you they can't stand Dwight or how he handled the whole trade situation. In fairness he didn't handle it well at all. At times he came off as a spoils immature brat, but in fairness to him he is still young and was clearly given some horrible advice especially be his clown agent.

I'm not gonna lie I certainly wasn't one of his biggest fans before he became a Los Angeles Laker. I didn't want him anywhere near his team because he didn't wanna be a part of this incredible franchise. He was scared of being that, and being in the spotlight, and having to live up to the great players who have played here on the past. I thought you know as talented as Dwight he just doesn't have what it takes mentally to play for this franchise. Thankfully I was wrong. Howard finally saw the light and realized that this was his best chance not only at winning a championship, but also redeeming himself for everything that has happened in the last year or so.

I think Dwight has to use all the hate he's gotten and use it to become a better basketball player. I want to see him use all the anger and take it out on the opposition. I wanna see him get mean out there and destroy the opposition. I wanna see every time someone comes towards the hoop he swats it away, yells after them, and stares at them. I said it another thread, but his biggest impact is gonna be on the defensive end. He's been the best player in the league defensively for the last several years. Now he used to just mainly be a great shot blocker, but his man to man defense has really improved over the years and now he's just as good of a man to man defender as he a a shot blocker. I saw a stat that last year against LeBron James he held him to under 40 percent from the field. You're talking about the consensus best player in the game and Howard held him to well below his shooting averages. LeBron and every other superstar in the league is gonna have a really tough time putting up those same superstar numbers they usually put up.

Offensively we know Dwight will give us between 20/25 points a night. The thing is he won't even have to create his own shot most of the time. He'll be spoon feed by Kobe and Nash most if the time which should lead to his most efficient season of his career. I would be stunned if he didn't lead the league in FG percentage and TS percentage. He's gonna get aton of alley oops from Nash especially. It will be very fun to watch. Dwight has always made his team very good. Sometimes even elite and he's never one time played with an elite teammate. Now he'll be playing with two of the greatest guards of all time in Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash along with a super skilled big man in Pau Gasol. He's got to be licking his chops right now. I cannot even put into words how excited I am for the season to start. This team is gonna be so exciting to watch and quite honestly I think Kobe was right. This is the best team he's ever had.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Sean on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:43 pm

DH is running with the starters today, 5 on 5

from twitter:

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
So, @DwightHoward is dunking in multiple teammates in 5-on-5-on-5 drills. Looks terrific, and large. Video later.
Last edited by Sean on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby Sean on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:48 pm

dunking
Sean

Postby Sean on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm

more encouraging news from twitter:

LakersReporter: LAL have 3 reserve 7-footers on the camp roster, & Howard flicked them aside during 5-on-5-on-5 drills. Too powerful/athletic.
Sean

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Just can't wait for that video later today to show Dwight in some 5-on-5 action :jam2:

Can't Wait! (Bart Scott voice)
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Kubbas on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:You know how they say winning cures everything? Well look at LeBron James. Most hated man in sports since the Decision BS, than he wins a championship, and all of sudden you have all these people on his nuts sayings he's the great thing since sliced bread after just one championship.

Nope.

Alvin Gentry wrote:"Was that Kobe or was that Michael?"
"We played the best player in basketball. I don't think its even close."
Kubbas

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Dwight Howard is happy in LA AND looks like he is going to be playing Oct. 30, opening night vs. Dallas.......

Thoughts on this Mr.Cuban....

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Asked about playing with @DwightHoward offensively, @paugasol said he appreciates that Howard is "a big target." Very easy to find w/passes.

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan

Gasol on Howard: "It doesn't look like he's hurting one bit. It's very good news for us."
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Dang I cannot wait to see this guy in games for us, I was excited before, but these practice reports just remind me how much of a beast Dwight really is.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Howard, in case you forgot while tracking the endless twists and turns of his "Dwightmare," is the premier defensive player in the game and the sort of athlete that even sparks awe among his industry peers. The idea that he'll be, to an extent, a role player in the Lakers' system is where it gets unfair for their foes.

im so giddy
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby XXIV on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Great news that he's able to participate in 5 on 5 drills. :jam2:
XXIV

Postby John3:16 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Pretty sure I missed it, but when did he get cleared to practice 5 on 5?
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard