D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (Hack-a-Dwight)

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:30 pm

It could be worse guys..

Our starting C could be getting his FT's in at D&B.
lakersin4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

^^ "It could be worse"

:man10: :man10: Absolutely
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:53 pm

"B**** you wasn't with me shooting in the gym".....

Translation for Bynum....

"Youngsters wasn't with me shooting in the pop a shot room"
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:56 pm

This is Bynum-esque come the EF on dude

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8724580/los-angeles-lakers-dwight-howard-shuns-free-throw-pointers-kobe-bryant-sees-root

Toward the end of shootaround Friday, Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash approached Dwight Howard and offered up a couple of tips on how to shoot free throws.

Though Howard is shooting just 46.9 percent from the foul line this season, while Nash is tied with Mark Price for the best free throw percentage in NBA history at 90.4 percent, the Lakers center said he's had enough of people giving him advice.

"Listen, he was just suggesting some things, but it's not something that we've already talked about or anybody else has suggested," Howard said. "My mind cannot get clouded with everybody telling me how to shoot a free throw. I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying, because that's when I miss."

Later in the article Kobe defends him and says he sucks at FTs because thats how he was raised playing basketball where it was ignore and they just told him to sit in the paint and dunk and what not.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Shoot it your way? That's stupid. Your way doesn't work.

Btw, looked into standing out of bounds. They can still foul you.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby revgen on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Dwight's form isn't the worst I've seen. The problem is that he doesn't have any rhythm. Also his eyes. If you watch his eyes, he's basically hoping that the ball goes in. So his confidence isn't there either. No rhythm. No confidence. It doesn't matter what kind of form you have.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby gcclaker on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:20 pm

revgen wrote:Dwight's form isn't the worst I've seen. The problem is that he doesn't have any rhythm. Also his eyes. If you watch his eyes, he's basically hoping that the ball goes in. So his confidence isn't there either. No rhythm. No confidence. It doesn't matter what kind of form you have.

Yes, it isn't the worst. Anyone remember Chris Dudley's? Howard's follow-through isn't smooth as if he is flcking the ball towards the basket. It looks choppy and short...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm looking at his knees. Same thing most bad free throw shooters do. Bend knees, but then go back to a complete stand then shoots it.

His hands are fine, his jumpshot is actually decent because it's like rev said, in rhythm. His knees are bent, and goes through one motion.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:01 pm

You're absolutely right about his knees.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:40 pm

It could also be something with his eyes as well. If he's right eye dominant and the ball is covering up his dominant right eye, like it is in the picture, his issues could be stemming from that as well.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Or he's just lifting too much in the gym, so he has the same feeling as you and me shooting plastic balloons in the free throw line.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Well from that photo above, his shooting elbow isn't straight vertical. It's pointed out. His off hand should be on the side of the ball, not on top.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:18 am

Forget the knees, his elbow is not rising through the shot. Right now, his elbow doesn't move, and he's just trying to flick it with his wrist. The elbow needs to move up, and at the top of his shot, the elbow should be fully extended. This give you consistency and makes it easy to repeat, your elbow goes from bent to fully extended every time. Shooting is a combination of muscle memory, technique and rhythm. He needs to sit down with a real coach who can dissect the wrist action needed to be consistent in shooting. The elbow needs to move up, while it is doing that, the wrist needs to snap to increase the rotation of the ball. Do that for 500 times a day, and over a summer...you should introduce that memory into your muscle...and make these shots consistently. It's not sometime you just pick up overnight.

If Steve Nash is offering to help you, you should be thanking your lucky stars and learning as much as possible.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:41 am

if he ever shoots over 70% for a season he should automatically win the MVP award and a championship
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:19 am

If you're going to take 1 thing & say it's the reason for Dwight's poor FT shooting, it's that he doesn't take it seriously. Holding the ball in front of his face, not moving his elbow, not bending his knees correctly, all things he could easily correct if he put in enough time to build the muscle memory.
lakersin4

Postby Greatest of All Time on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:22 am

Doc Brown wrote:It could also be something with his eyes as well. If he's right eye dominant and the ball is covering up his dominant right eye, like it is in the picture, his issues could be stemming from that as well.

Greatest of All Time

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 am

Greatest of All Time wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:It could also be something with his eyes as well. If he's right eye dominant and the ball is covering up his dominant right eye, like it is in the picture, his issues could be stemming from that as well.

:man10:

Would you mind refuting my statement? Why wouldn't covering up your dominant eye when looking at a stationary object not effect his shot? Or how essentially shooting with one eye covered, does not effect your shot?

Go on, I'll wait.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:04 am

His attitude towards his FTs problem is the same as towards the game : he doesn't care too much and I don't see the " I want to win regardless what it takes" factor ... as of now I can't say I would lose any sleep if he left at the end of the season
wcsoldier81

Postby Greatest of All Time on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:08 am

Doc Brown wrote:

:man10:

Would you mind refuting my statement? Why wouldn't covering up your dominant eye when looking at a stationary object not effect his shot? Or how essentially shooting with one eye covered, does not effect your shot?

Go on, I'll wait.

Greatest of All Time

Postby Kingsama on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:30 am

lakerswiz wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:I'm looking at his knees. Same thing most bad free throw shooters do. Bend knees, but then go back to a complete stand then shoots it.

His hands are fine, his jumpshot is actually decent because it's like rev said, in rhythm. His knees are bent, and goes through one motion.

His hands aren't fine.

thats just bad all around.
Kingsama

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 am

You didn't answer my question. And providing evidence of something happening once, that doesn't even explain the question at hand is hardly a rebuddle.
Doc Brown

Postby 432J on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 am

i never thought of the whole dominant eye thing, but it could very well be a huge reason why he's so bad at free throws
432J

Postby lkrfn85 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

You didn't answer my question. And providing evidence of something happening once, that doesn't even explain the question at hand is hardly a rebuddle.

It isn't something that happened once. MJ would practice this - in order to trust the fundamentals. Dwight's fundamentals aren't solid, and he doesn't trust his shot either. Nothing to do with vision, more to do with fundamentals.
lkrfn85

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:14 pm

My point wasn't about shooting with both eyes closed.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Great game the other night. So much for Perk containing him, right? Haha. It's going to be even worse for OKC's interior when we have Nash distrubting the basketball & creating. He's a monster. He's rounding into form.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard