D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: FT stroke found! - pg768

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:41 am

This is the first game in a while in which Howard looked engaged on O and was truly giving full effort on that end of the floor. Last several games he was just moping around out there.
v1n5anity

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:43 am

I understand saying Dwight isn't playing at a superstar level like he was in Orlando because I don't think he is, but he will get there eventually. However to say he's not playing at an All Star level when he's still putting up 18 points, 12 boards, and 3 block is ludicrious.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:22 am

Ben Bolch / ON THE NBA

Stan Van Gundy sounds off on Dwight Howard
The former coach is blunt, saying his former player has lost explosiveness and must adjust. Oh, and the two are getting along just fine.

December 29, 2012, 7:15 p.m.
Stan Van Gundy still exchanges friendly text messages with the player who he once claimed wanted him fired.

Van Gundy will tell Dwight Howard good luck before a game, or inform the star center that he played well after a solid performance for the Lakers.

Howard has sent more than thanks to his former coach. He also passed along some thoughts on his new team's primary shortcoming.

"The only thing he's really gotten into was," Van Gundy said Friday in a phone interview, "he wants their defense to be better."

Some might say Howard is part of the problem. The six-time All-Star has not resembled the dominant force many Lakers fans envisioned, his inspired performance Friday against the Portland Trail Blazers notwithstanding.

Howard has been a distant second option on offense behind Kobe Bryant. And he has only sporadically been a game-changing presence for a defense that is giving up 100.2 points per game, ranking 23rd in the NBA.

Leave it to Van Gundy to deliver a blunt assessment.

"I don't think he looks quite as explosive or as quick as he has in the past," said Van Gundy, who coached Howard in Orlando for five seasons before being fired in May. "Now, he's still above almost everyone in the league at that size athletically, but he has not totally looked like himself to me."

Howard was clearly the league's best big man in Orlando, winning defensive player of the year three times and leading the Magic to the Finals in 2009.

The Lakers are .500 two months into the season in part because of Howard's uneven play. He is averaging 17.6 points and 11.8 rebounds, the latter statistic representing his lowest output since his rookie season eight years ago.

Van Gundy cited Howard's back surgery in April and a diminished role in the offense as the biggest triggers for his rough start.

"It's a big adjustment for him going from being the guy to not only being the No. 2 guy but really a No. 2 guy that really doesn't get the ball very much at all," Van Gundy said. "It's a different deal and an adjustment he has to make. Those kind of things take time."

Bryant is hoisting 21.5 shots per game, almost double Howard's 10.8 shots, while enjoying a resurgence in efficiency. Bryant's 47.8% shooting accuracy is on pace to be the best of his 17 NBA seasons.

Van Gundy suggested that Howard needed to tweak his game like Miami's Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh did after becoming teammates with LeBron James.

In other words, don't expect to score as much.

"I think Dwight is going to be more than willing to make the adjustment," Van Gundy said, "but it's still an adjustment and it takes time mentally too because your ego — and ego is not a bad thing, it's a good thing, you need it to be great in this league — tells you that you're supposed to be the man and having to adjust to playing off somebody else is not an easy thing."

Howard has said he's willing to play whatever role is necessary to win his first championship. His job has been complicated by early season upheaval, including the firing of Coach Mike Brown and injuries to Steve Nash and Pau Gasol.

"We have to learn how to win together," Howard said this month. "It takes time. It's going to click one day and all this mess will be over with."

Potentially divisive situations are nothing new for Howard. He vacillated in his trade demands during his final season in Orlando, prompting the Magic to fire Van Gundy in a last-ditch attempt to placate its franchise player.

It didn't work. Orlando traded a still-unhappy Howard to the Lakers in August as part of a deal that netted the Magic six players and a slew of draft picks.

Howard denied Van Gundy's assertion that he had gone to team management in an attempt to oust his coach, but there is no lingering tension between the duo.

"Look, management makes decisions," said Van Gundy, who now works as a college basketball analyst for NBC. "The L.A. Laker management fired Mike Brown. The Orlando Magic management fired me and the Brooklyn Nets management fired Avery Johnson.

"Dwight and my time in Orlando, I thought the relationship was good, worked well, produced results and that's what player-coach relationships in this league should be about, are the results that they get and the results here were good, mainly because Dwight's as good as he is. He's a great, great player and I have a great appreciation for what he did for our teams and for me as a coach."

What can Howard do for the Lakers? Van Gundy didn't rule out a happy ending.

"I think he's getting ready to have a great year and you've got to have some patience, which is not a thing that fans really have in abundance and I understand that," Van Gundy said. "I think if they can stay healthy, by late January you'll have a pretty good indication of whether or not things are working."

All Van Gundy will have to do to find out is to check his phone.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-bolch-lakers-howard-20121230,0,5910828.story
wcsoldier81

Postby XXIV on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:42 pm

It's going to take some time before we see the Dwight of old, and I don't believe that will happen until next season.
XXIV

Postby last stand on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:26 pm

Until he has a full offseason of lifting, and just general training. I see him hitting 90-95 percent
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 pm

I just hope Kobe & Nash are still at this level next year.. Would suck if we never see those 3 play together at full strength. It's going to be absolutely deadly if it happens.
lakersin4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 pm

XXIV wrote:It's going to take some time before we see the Dwight of old, and I don't believe that will happen until next season.

I agree. I also agree with the Last Stand who said that he needs a full summer of lifting and stuff without having to recover from surgery before we see the complete package.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby venky on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:47 pm

This guy is a fraud. I never bought into the hype. I'll admit that I never wanted to trade Drew for him and in hindsight it was good that we got value for Drew, but Dwight is still a fraud. He's not a superstar.
venky

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:57 pm

Work on your post game holmes.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby cthroatgtr on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 pm

When is Dwight going to learn you can't throw players to the floor...that's not working for position that's a foul
cthroatgtr

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm not taking into account his health right now when I say this ...

... but Dwight has been a BUST so far for us.

He's supposed to be the most dominant player in the game but has only had one or two "dominant" games for us.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 pm

inb4 "i'm still not at 100% yet"
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby The Rock on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Worst game so far as a Laker. Get it together and bring it on Friday. SMDH at his effort tonight

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:02 pm

where is he? best center in the league gets out played by every center we play against. I don't get it. there one and and not the next and has nothing to do with rest
Ariza3

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:04 pm

BDG wrote:I'm not taking into account his health right now when I say this ...

... but Dwight has been a BUST so far for us.

He's supposed to be the most dominant player in the game but has only had one or two "dominant" games for us.

Why aren't you taking his health when it's clearly an important factor into account?

He hasn't been a bust that's ridiculous. Despite not being healthy Dwight is still averaging 18 points and 12 boards. Only reason his numbers are down is because he's far less featured than he was in Orlando.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Ariza3 wrote:where is he? best center in the league gets out played by every center we play against. I don't get it. there one and and not the next and has nothing to do with rest

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby odom1year on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Really a bad game for D12. But I still believe this D12 is still the D12 in Magic. Looks like it's gameplan issues. MDA is not an inside-out guy, but run & gun. Big men in his system are only for defense and rebounding.
odom1year

Postby JLaker17 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Why give him the ball in the post his moves are not only terrible but ineffective. There is a better chance of him turning the ball over than him scoring.
JLaker17

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Awful game tonight, especially anywhere near the basket on the offensive end. Ugh. Hill showed you up tonight big guy.
Lakerjones

Postby Finwë on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:28 pm

chris palmer ‏@ESPNChrisPalmer
Dwight Howard had his shot blocked 4 times. Used to dunk people through the rim.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:32 pm

I'll give D12 credit for one thing. He's the only player talking about our awful defense during the postgame interviews.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:33 pm

pathetic

just simply pathetic
432J

Postby King of Clutch on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:47 pm

varejao> than howard right now honestly, and i'm not even joking.
King of Clutch

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 pm

i dont see dwight getting any better or consistent this season. i feel we would have seen some consistency by now. if hes not 100% then why is he playing? i dont see a back injury getting better by playing through it especially when he says sometimes he cant feel his legs...

seems kind of dumb to me. he can rebound and block shots (not at the same level but still better than most of the league) its his finishing and offense that is terrible. has not lift to dunk the ball of rebounds or even lay it up. sit him if he cant play thats all im saying. i love what he does bring but i feel its his reputation that is defering pg from driving in the paint not his actual ability right now at this time
Ariza3

Postby Center Court on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:15 am

I was at the game and in pretty good seats so I really got a good look at things tonight and I think he's not being used right. All he does is go set picks, roll when it's there (generally ends up in a shoving match toward the basket) and wait's for the rebound-- usually a long rebound he can't get to. He's getting stripped, missing free throws, and at times not as quick as we've seen him. But in all honesty I think he is frustrated beyond words with his role. MDA really has him in the Chandler role. I think that has led to some frustration and mental distractions as he's not getting into the game. Sometime you just gotta feed the big dog. Kobe knows this better than anyone.

Se
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard