D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (Possible Sunday Debut? - Pg 709)

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Mike Bresnahan wrote:Dwight Howard will play Sunday only if he practices Saturday + feels fine, Coach Mike Brown says. DH didn't take part in shoot-around today.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/259380373199413248
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:31 pm

^ :bang: Bummer. Come onnnnn, Dwight...
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks Chook.

I wonder if it was a physical thing with his back that he didn't feel good about or maybe an illness...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm hoping "feels fine" has to do with pain and not conditioning. He needs to play real games in order to get into game shape.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Dwight doesn't need to play preseason games, we're lucky he's starting the first game of the regular season anyway it could have, and was expected to be worse. He needs to only come back when he's 100% and is sure about his back or overall health or whatever the issue is. You don't rush your supposed future franchise player back from back surgery, I'm sure the Lakers know this, he'll play when he plays.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:56 pm

I really hate conflicting reports.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Judging from this write up no cause for concern fellas. Seems like there was no story to him missing practice, and it sounds from MB's language that him needing to be cleared tomorrow is just a formality. Im willing to say they'll be surprised if the medical staff finds a reason to keep him from playing.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 9776.story

Howard did not take part in Friday morning's shoot-around, though that wasn't particularly unusual because he was already ruled out of Friday night's game against Sacramento at the Thomas and Mack Center.

"If he practices [Saturday] and our medical people at the end of practice say he can play, he's going to play," Brown said. "There's a chance he may not play Sunday."

Howard's back is not the issue. He had surgery last April to repair a herniated disk and was reporting no pain from it.

The greater unknown is his conditioning. He has steadily increased his workload in Lakers practices and was cleared last week to play in five-on-five scrimmages, but he would not play Sunday if there was even a slight question about his game shape.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 pm

^Sounds like he's going to play Sunday then.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby karacha on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:14 pm

I would really like to see him play on Sunday, and besides... you can only get that stamina back by playing real games. Play him 15-20 minutes and we'll see what happens. His back is fine, I mean -- he's been dunking on guys (big guys!) and lifting weights this whole time. We've seen him play in practice and he did great.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Very inappropriate gif JSJ! :man10:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Gman1979 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Hope so im going to the game.Any of you guys going to sunday game?
Gman1979

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:I really hate conflicting reports.

Oh the irony in this post :man10:
nthydro

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:29 pm

nthydro wrote:

No irony there unless your an immature clown like yourself.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Glad he's playing. He should make a big difference. Is the game tomorrow on NBA TV?
dwighthowardsdad

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:52 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:Glad he's playing. He should make a big difference. Is the game tomorrow on NBA TV?

I think it's gonna be blacked out in the local area unfortunately
nthydro

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
nthydro wrote:

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Calm down in here please.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Someone say clowns?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
nthydro wrote:

He just ment that report saying He may not play it was a conflict report so you complaing about a conflicting report when that it self was the conflict report so theres the irony
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:26 pm

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register wrote:Dwight Howard is about to play his first Lakers game, perhaps Sunday night at Staples Center.

Yes, he has been taking it slow — and part of that might be that Coach Mike Brown told Howard that he could wait 'til January. Seriously, Brown did.

But let's make clear just how excited Howard is to play for the Lakers (and presumably to re-sign with them at season's end).

Howard said some nice, relatively cliché things after the trade two months ago. He has had time and space to settle in since. And the words he spoke Friday night in a quiet moment in the locker room before he sat out the Lakers' 103-98 loss to Sacramento weren't just nice.

They were impassioned.

"People don't understand," he said. "I didn't choose to come here; I got traded here. I lost my rights to walk to any team, so a team had to decide where they were going to send me.

"I thank God every day that they sent me to L.A. This is the best situation that I've been in. I'm so thankful and so happy. And now I get an opportunity to do something great. I'm just happy about it."

The Lakers thought all along that Howard would grow to understand and appreciate the way their history of success creates immediate heightened standards in the present.

The reality is it already has happened.

Lakers fans have Bill Bertka, the one coaching constant in the organization through the past four decades, to thank for speeding the process along. In mid-September, after Howard had begun transitioning from workouts with his personal trainer to working with Lakers staffers, Bertka approached Howard in the Lakers offices.

He had a video compilation of Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O'Neal highlights and urged Howard to study them.

"He said he's seen all of 'em play," Howard said — and that's sure true enough.

That wasn't all. Bertka, 85, also knew enough about the latest gizmos in this generation to suggest Howard could find many more Chamberlain videos, as far back as Chamberlain's high school playing days, available on YouTube.

"I actually went home one day and looked at it all night until 2 or 3 in the morning," Howard said. "I was just so geeked up; I wanted to go play right away. 'I want to go play! I just can't wait to get this started.' It really just inspired me to do whatever I could to get back on the court as soon as possible."

Howard is back on the court, though only dominating practices. Yet he's doing so to the point that Kobe Bryant is telling everyone that Howard is playing like Bill Russell out there. Russell is no Laker, but Bryant will surely take it.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak noted that Bertka, now Kupchak's special assistant in title, used to be the Lakers' big-man coach back in the day and knows his stuff there.

Now is the time in the preseason when the players are transitioning into competitive mode. The regular season is 11 days away, and the juices were certainly flowing for Bryant on Friday night.

Playing on his dad's 58th birthday — and in front of his mom, sisters and nieces — Bryant for the first time this exhibition season flashed his fire to win. Bryant glared at Pau Gasol for passing up one open shot off a Bryant pass; Gasol nodded in agreement. Gasol also was into it, continuing his rivalry with Sacramento power forward DeMarcus Cousins, whose uninhibited aggression annoys Gasol to no end.

The Lakers dropped to 0-5 in the exhibition season anyway, though it was the last time Brown won't play his starters down the stretch. It was also impossible not to notice how many times fill-in rookie Robert Sacre — who shot 1 for 4 with three turnovers — couldn't finish off plays that Howard would have taken to the bank.

Brown wasn't sure if Howard would be cleared by the Lakers' medical staff yet to play for the first time since his April 20 spinal surgery. Howard is pain free and already potent again, but the Lakers are preaching patience.

"I told him that I want him to take his time," Brown said. "I don't want him to get out there too early to where this is going to be a recurring thing. I told the big fella, 'Hey, if you've got to wait 'til January, wait 'til January.' "

As excited as Howard truly is now to play for the Lakers, there's no chance of that happening.

Getting his film study on. :jam2:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
nthydro wrote:

You hurt me when you say things like that
nthydro

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:33 pm

:man10: :man10:

Tobias Funke

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:35 pm

nthydro wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
nthydro wrote:

You hurt me when you say things like that

Is this really necessary? I find it very annoying to click on a thread to find updates on a player just to find something like this going on & draining away all the posts that are actually worth reading.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard