D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (And so it begins...)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 am

Lakerjones wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Still have no TWC so all I have seen are the highlights. That one sequence of Howard being hit and landing hard on the floor made me cringe.

^^ I don't either, but the posters here have been great about digging up links online and sharing them. While it's a drag to be stuck watching on a computer, I'll take what I can get. Yeah, that moment was really scary. Whew!

I watched that and my heart stopped. Same as the Nash play where he crumpled to the floor. Thank God our starting lineup is just chalk full of warriors out there...

Rewatching the game, I saw that Cousins kid is a real dirtbag with his forearm shivers. Just all game long he's sticking his forearm in people's hips and it resulted in that Dwight fall. He forearm checked him in the air.

What the f*** is that? It's a pre-season game you piece of crap.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:28 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Still have no TWC so all I have seen are the highlights. That one sequence of Howard being hit and landing hard on the floor made me cringe.

^^ I don't either, but the posters here have been great about digging up links online and sharing them. While it's a drag to be stuck watching on a computer, I'll take what I can get. Yeah, that moment was really scary. Whew!

I watched that and my heart stopped. Same as the Nash play where he crumpled to the floor. Thank God our starting lineup is just chalk full of warriors out there...

Rewatching the game, I saw that Cousins kid is a real dirtbag with his forearm shivers. Just all game long he's sticking his forearm in people's hips and it resulted in that Dwight fall. He forearm checked him in the air.

^^ Yeah, Cousins is a total jerk. He is a difficult case because he has so much obvious talent but it's negated by this horrible attitude. I don't really like watching him for that reason. I like parts of his game but he is so mouthy and such a punk. He is also pretty lazy to go along with that attitude - I think he's going to end up more like Benoit Benjamin than like a Moses Malone. I don't see the work ethic.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:32 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

^^ Yeah, Cousins is a total jerk. He is a difficult case because he has so much obvious talent but it's negated by this horrible attitude. I don't really like watching him for that reason. I like parts of his game but he is so mouthy and such a punk. He is also pretty lazy to go along with that attitude - I think he's going to end up more like Benoit Benjamin than like a Moses Malone. I don't see the work ethic.

LOL @ Benoit Benjamin. That's a little harsh. I think he'll be better than that.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 am

I actually agree with LJ. I think he'll be one of those guys with a ton of talent that doesn't get it. He doesn't get how gifted and blessed he is.

He's disrespectful, he's always talking to the refs, and he's always playing dirty. I see now why Pau can't stand him and why Westphal couldn't stand him. It's a shame because he's very smooth for a big man on the floor. If he weren't an idiot, he'd be one of the best in the league right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah, he's a punk. You can tell Paul hates playing against him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby gcclaker on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Yeah, he's a punk. You can tell Paul hates playing against him.

Cousins also has an ongoing war with Blake Griffin. Barkley has commented he could have a breakout year if he just gets it together mentally and start acting like a professional. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am

i see cousins more like zach randolph. he'll get it when he's like 28 but by then he would have wasted 6+ years of his career

he's a knuckle head but he's also not the worst kind of knuckle head. his character flaws can be fixed with age and some humbling
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby kray28 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 pm

I liked the part where Kobe didn't wait for Cousins' punk arse to flop...he just ran him over like a steamroller.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:32 pm

^ I saw that.

That to me was a little bit of a message sent. It didn't seem to stick though and I think he could have used another message.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Does anyone else not like Dwight's new arm sleeves? I wish he would use those silver/gray/black colored ones.
XXIV

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:55 pm

anyone have a gif where Dwight left Lawrence Tanter hanging?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:44 pm

I wonder if this will happen in practice

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Great first game from Howard. It's hard to believe he's a Laker. It's something that'll take awhile to get used to.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby GoldHammish on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah that looked painful... One of the first things I wondered was what if that was Drew. Was so glad to see he got up okay and so quickly too
GoldHammish

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 pm

GoldHammish wrote:

Yeah that looked painful... One of the first things I wondered was what if that was Drew. Was so glad to see he got up okay and so quickly too

When that happened at first I thought he was rolling around in pain, thankfully he was fine. Definitely a scary moment.
XXIV

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 pm

i didnt really cringe when that happened. i was more relieved and thought "thank god that wasnt bynum"
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby karacha on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Dwight does not get hurt easily. Of course, this was scary simply because he's just recovered from surgery. If it wasn't for that it would be a non-issue. Speaking of Bynum, I was always afraid that he'd get hurt. I just could not help myself. I don't worry too much about Dwight, fortunately.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 pm

I thought.....oohh, big tree, fall hard.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 pm

XXIV wrote:Does anyone else not like Dwight's new arm sleeves? I wish he would use those silver/gray/black colored ones.

Yea, multicolored sleeves looked awesome in Orlando

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 am

You know what's scary...with the rust, with it being his first game as a Laker and account for those tears and butterflies, with it being the first game he's played with his new teammates -- he still looked like the best big man in the game. When he gets his conditioning back to 100%, shakes the rest of the dust off, and start to develop a better chemistry with Nash, Kobe, and Pau and they learn where they want each other to be on the court :yikes: ...Look out league, Dwight's a baaaaad man.

Some random thoughts and comments from the game:
-Loved the activity and the non-stop motor. Most players who have a motor like that are the Mark Madsens, the Jordan Hills, the Josh Powells of the league. Rarely does a superstar big man have a motor like that. He doesn't take plays off.
-Pau needs to learn he doesn't need to double Dwight's man, it resulted in fouls on one of them. Maybe Dwight will need to help on Pau's man, but I think Dwight can handle his matchup himself.
-He strikes fear into the opposition, they'll stop in their tracks when he's in the paint. He's such a force defensively even when he's not making the block or the stop, just off sheer intimidation. It was quality entertainment. Even with him not at 100% on conditioning, he still covers ground defensively so quickly...it's ridiculous. I really don't think there is a player who makes a bigger impact when you factor in both offense and defense.
-I think Dwight is going to love playing next to Pau on offense...those two easy buckets he got Dwight (off Nash's hockey assists) made it look too easy. Hedo was the best passing forward he has played with, but Pau is a much smarter player.
-He's a lean mean dunking machine. Between lobs and cleanups off missed baskets (like MWP's missed layup), I think he might be able to dunk in his sleep. This actually would have been a time we could've lived with Fish's missed layups when you have Dwight waiting in the wings to scoop it up and slam it home.
-He runs hard. He makes a bee line to the rim and that really opens up things for the shooters. I think MWP might benefit from playing with him more than anyone else on this roster. Meeks needs to see time with Dwight too, someone alert Mikey of this.
-Loved Kobe's two lobs to him...a little reminiscent of the Kobe-Shaq era. Those are going to be very fun this season.
-The Nash-Dwight P&R will take some time to develop a familiarity but they'll get there. Right now, they're playing just off their sheer talent and abilities, much like an All-Star game. Can't wait till chemistry starts kicking in.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby WilliamHaven on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:00 am

^^ good post, agree with all of it...very exciting once they start rolling
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 am

Can Shaq go a day without mentioning...mumbling Dwight's name?

JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:03 am

LA TIMES: Differences between Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum are plain to see

Mike Bresnahan of the LA Times wrote:Deconstructing Dwight, Part 1 of dozens of chapters to come, undoubtedly.

The Lakers center took the court Sunday for the first time with his new team and showed exactly why he was different from Andrew Bynum. Markedly.

Dwight Howard has instincts that his predecessor has rarely shown, scoring five times off alley-oop passes and teammates' missed shots in an exhibition game against Sacramento. Unlike Bynum, Howard's not a guy who needs the ball in the post, though he showed a left-handed hook shot against the Kings.

Howard is ambidextrous, the result of a childhood accident in which he broke the wrist of his dominant (left) hand and learned to shoot with his right. He passes with his right hand, shoots free throws right-handed and shoots from the post slightly more with his left hand. But only slightly.

"Dwight's body is far more genetically gifted than Andrew. Andrew has had some issues obviously in his lower extremities in both knees," said Lakers assistant coach Chuck Person, who worked with Bynum last season and now Howard. "Andrew is gifted within his own right, but Dwight brings much better force because he's faster, quicker, more explosive, and he understands the game a lot better at this point than Bynum does.

"We have a much more gifted player on our hands, no doubt. Dwight understands who he is and what he's trying to accomplish. 'Drew understands where he needs to go, but he's still searching on how to get there."

How did Howard feel the day after the Lakers' 99-92 loss? It was his first game action since back surgery in April.

"Sore. They said I was going to be very sore today. My whole body," he said Monday. "They said my back was going to ache. All that stuff."

He might sit out Wednesday's game against the Clippers at Staples Center before returning for the Lakers' exhibition finale Thursday against Sacramento in San Diego.
JSM

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 am

^ maybe it's time to start shooting FT's with his left... :man9:
kenzo

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:31 am

kenzo wrote:^ maybe it's time to start shooting FT's with his left... :man9:

I was thinking the same thing. I had no idea he was a lefty. That lefty hook was nice by the way.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard