Dwight or Kobe?

1) Dwight Howard
33%
2) Kobe Bryant
66%

Total votes : 65

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:44 am

He can't even answer a simple question honestly that Kobe asked and you expect him to be the face of the franchise?
D.B. Cooper

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am

D.B. Cooper wrote:He can't even answer a simple question honestly that Kobe asked and you expect him to be the face of the franchise?

Dwight's a great talent. Before the back surgery, he was an athletic freak, a defensive monster, a game changing presence on the defensive end. When healthy, he's a great piece on a championship team. Although, I wouldn't run my offense through him when the game got close in the final minutes, he's still good enough to put up All-Star numbers. There's no doubt he can be option 1b on a championship team.

However, we're all not perfect. I don't want to bash Dwight. Neverthless, he has issues with not dealing directly with the people he has issues with and doesn't confront them, IMO. He did it in Orlando and now he's doing here in Los Angeles. This is the second coach he's had problems with; although, I can't blame him for that because D'Antoni is clueless.

WTS, I still think Dwight will resign. He's not going to be traded and he's not going to another city; unless MDA is still here. I don't think the Lakers would choose MDA over Dwight. Dwight for all the drama is marketable and you will enhance your ability to attract other superstars to L.A. for a chance to play with Dwight and win championships if the roster is built correctly and not a mishmash of pieces that don't fit.

It's essential that we find a coach that can get through to both Kobe & Dwight (besides Phil) and put winning first and their egos aside...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby MC on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 am

JGC wrote:^ Well, I think it's a valid question at this point. I mean, we have a very serious possibility of losing Dwight. So the question is, do you move him to try to capitalize on Kobe's final year and get someone better suited for Kobe?

Sure they might loose Howard this year but it has nothing to do with Bryant........ it has to do with the coach they hired for 4 years and his offensive philosophy. This thread is twisting this issue into a Bryant/Howard debate...... My bet is it has more to do with an offense that openly insults big men and does nothing to feature them.

JGC wrote:
Either way, it really doesn't look like having Kobe along side another aspiring #1 type player in a 1a/1b type set up is ever going to work. I don't think Kobe has any interest in sharing the spotlight on equal footing with anyone else. He's an alpha who just isn't ready to let go a bit.

Really because it has worked before........... I notice how you make the assumption that it's all Bryant's fault but lets consider who has made 1a and 1b work before and who has not in this debate........

Regardless if you look at the coach it's pretty obvious why a big man that is used to being featured is pissed right now........ to blame Bryant for an offense designed to get guards and wing players perimeter looks would be extremely disingenuous............

obviously there are some hidden agendas by certain people on this site............ and the 1a/1b argument focus just goes to dime you guys out.

They can more than keep both and be in position to build around Howard long term............. the big elephant in the room is the actual coach in place right now..... they are positioned perfectly to build around Howard and a deep 2014 FA class while still having a very capable Bryant until than to keep them competitive now. The problem is and continues to be the darn coaching..........
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby JGC on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:37 pm

MC wrote:
JGC wrote:^ Well, I think it's a valid question at this point. I mean, we have a very serious possibility of losing Dwight. So the question is, do you move him to try to capitalize on Kobe's final year and get someone better suited for Kobe?

Sure they might loose Howard this year but it has nothing to do with Bryant........ it has to do with the coach they hired for 4 years and his offensive philosophy. This thread is twisting this issue into a Bryant/Howard debate...... My bet is it has more to do with an offense that openly insults big men and does nothing to feature them.

This thread is titled.. "Dwight or Kobe?" so how it is wrong to be about anything other than a Bryant/Howard debate is beyond me.

It's partly on the coaching, for sure. The coaching absolutely sucks. And it's also partly on the team as well (as in the FO for making promises and not delivering). But it's also on Kobe for not adjusting and not leading. Kobe seems to run in to challenges with his teams when Derek and/or Phil are not around.

At any rate, I was talking about whether you try to placate Dwight now, or get rid of him and try to get the best pieces you can for Kobe's final year. For me, it's the former because building another super team and winning in 1 season is all but impossible so you gotta look beyond.

MC wrote:
JGC wrote:
Either way, it really doesn't look like having Kobe along side another aspiring #1 type player in a 1a/1b type set up is ever going to work. I don't think Kobe has any interest in sharing the spotlight on equal footing with anyone else. He's an alpha who just isn't ready to let go a bit.

Really because it has worked before........... I notice how you make the assumption that it's all Bryant's fault but lets consider who has made 1a and 1b work before and who has not in this debate........

Regardless if you look at the coach it's pretty obvious why a big man that is used to being featured is pissed right now........ to blame Bryant for an offense designed to get guards and wing players perimeter looks would be extremely disingenuous............

obviously there are some hidden agendas by certain people on this site............ and the 1a/1b argument focus just goes to dime you guys out.

They can more than keep both and be in position to build around Howard long term............. the big elephant in the room is the actual coach in place right now..... they are positioned perfectly to build around Howard and a deep 2014 FA class while still having a very capable Bryant until than to keep them competitive now. The problem is and continues to be the darn coaching..........
[/quote]

Really? When did it work? Are you referring to when they had to get rid of one of the two because, well, it wasn't working and they hated each other? LOL.

Relax. No one is blaming Bryant. No one is saying it's Bryant's fault. That is you (and some others) being overly sensitive about Kobe. It's not Bryant's fault that this is happening, but I do believe there are things he can do to improve the situation.

Do you really think that Kobe is entirely incapable of improving our team situation?

I don't think Kobe needs to pass the torch entirely, but I think the team and Kobe needs to let Dwight put his finger on it at least rather than keeping him down so that he doesn't even want to touch it.
JGC

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion