Dwight or Kobe?

Dwight or Kobe?

1) Dwight Howard
22
33%
2) Kobe Bryant
43
66%
 
Total votes : 65

Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 am

If you could only keep one going forward, who would you keep?
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 am

Really?

A. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

B. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

C. When in doubt, refer to A or B
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31869
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:07 am

John3:16 wrote:Really?

A. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

B. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

C. When in doubt, refer to A or B


OK, another question. Lakers or Kobe?
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
John3:16 wrote:Really?

A. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

B. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

C. When in doubt, refer to A or B


OK, another question. Lakers or Kobe?


Lakers. But the Lakers, being the class organization they are, would never trade a Kobe, Magic, Worthy...
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31869
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am

Right now?

D12.

No offense to Dwight, but he's never won a chip, and he's yet to sign an extension proving that he wants to be here.

On top of that, Kobe is a legend. He's not being traded even if he didn't have the no-trade clause.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21722
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby themasterphil on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

Stupid Q....how someone can even ask this Q....Kobe is one of the greatest lakers ever, he give us 5 titles and he was always a true Laker. Howard is overrated, an I dont care if he is not 100% ready, if you are not ready then dont play. If he love the Lakers, which I doubt really, he would say in this moment when team play like garbage I will sign in summer. To trade Kobe is just STUPID to even think about that.
Last edited by themasterphil on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
themasterphil

 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:19 am
Location: Base Deep space 9

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby ElginTheGreat on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

revgen wrote:Right now?

D12.

No offense to Dwight, but he's never won a chip, and he's yet to sign an extension proving that he wants to be here.

On top of that, Kobe is a legend. He's not being traded even if he didn't have the no-trade clause.


How many championships does Kobe have to win to get past this kind of stuff?
User avatar
ElginTheGreat

 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:53 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby 432J on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 am

it's mindblowing that some of you think that they would actually even think about trading kobe

:man3:
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am

John3:16 wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
John3:16 wrote:Really?

A. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

B. You don't trade a Kobe Bryant

C. When in doubt, refer to A or B


OK, another question. Lakers or Kobe?


Lakers. But the Lakers, being the class organization they are, would never trade a Kobe, Magic, Worthy...


They traded Shaq. And that was the right move as Kobe was just entering his prime while Shaq was past it. Same situation here. Kobe, as good as he is, is very close to the end. Dwight at 75% is still probably the best center in the game. We haven't even seen the best of Dwight.

If you are a fan of the team before a fan of Kobe, i don't see how you can logically stick with Kobe if you had to pick one.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 am

Just to clarify, i'm not saying trade Kobe. I'm just throwing out a hypothetical question where if you had to pick one going forward, who would you take?
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby JGC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 am

I think people are interpreting the question wrong. It's not about trading Kobe away per se. It's about being stuck in a position where you have to choose one over the other for some specified amount of time which, I think should play a factor. Salaries also matter.

For instance, if it's Kobe for 2 more years or Dwight for 10, you might want to lean towards Dwight.

If it's Kobe over Dwight for the next 2 years, then IMO, it's Kobe. So it really depends.

What if it's Dwight @ $20M/yr for 3 years, or Kobe @ $30M/yr for 6 years? (And shades in between of course).

This is like the question I kind of threw out in the GD thread when we played the Clippers. Bledsoe or Nash? Nash is clearly the better player, but will you get more from Bledsoe (or some other young up and comer) in the long run, possibly.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 am

-Kobe is retiring at the end of next season ...
-D12 isn't 1st option material and we will be a perennial 2nd round exit (at very best) in the West if we don't attract a better player

I'm going with the unlikely option C : Kevin Durant ( pray for OKC not winning the title in 2013, 2014,2015 and 2016... very unlikely )


I guess we'll have to be content with Kevin Love or Uncle Drew
Last edited by wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:If you are a fan of the team before a fan of Kobe, i don't see how you can logically stick with Kobe if you had to pick one.


Sounds like you have your mind made up. Why ask the question?
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31869
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby JGC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

John3:16 wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:If you are a fan of the team before a fan of Kobe, i don't see how you can logically stick with Kobe if you had to pick one.


Sounds like you have your mind made up. Why ask the question?


Well, a lot of people ask questions they have their own answers to, to gauge what others think. For instance, I may like a shirt I'm trying on, but I might ask my girlfriend what she thinks even if I already like it just to get a second opinion.

In either case, I think there needs to be some assumptions set.

If it's Kobe re-signing after next year for vet min, and Dwight wanting max $ and max length, I'm picking Kobe.

If it's Kobe retiring after next season and Dwight signing with us for vet min max length, I'm taking Dwight.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

The answer is Kobe no matter how the question is skewed. I don't care who the new comer is, you don't pick them over the 5 time champion hall of famer.

Ridiculous to even entertain that thought.

almost as ridiculous as this thread.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:31 am

therealdeal wrote:The answer is Kobe no matter how the question is skewed. I don't care who the new comer is, you don't pick them over the 5 time champion hall of famer.

Ridiculous to even entertain that thought.

almost as ridiculous as this thread.


Really? What i find ridiculous are the people saying Kobe without hesitation. Makes me wonder if they are a fan of the team first or of Kobe first. If Kobe retires in a year or two, we start from scratch. If Howard stays, we have a franchise player to build around. And we are a lot more enticing for another superstar to come here (preferrably a great PG).
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:33 am

I am a fan of principles. When someone dedicates their career to your team, you just throw them away?

When someone in your office dedicates (the equivalent) of 40 years, do you just push them out the door at the first opportunity? No. You show some f***ing class and you give them the same respect they gave you.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby themasterphil on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The answer is Kobe no matter how the question is skewed. I don't care who the new comer is, you don't pick them over the 5 time champion hall of famer.

Ridiculous to even entertain that thought.

almost as ridiculous as this thread.


Really? What i find ridiculous are the people saying Kobe without hesitation. Makes me wonder if they are a fan of the team first or of Kobe first. If Kobe retires in a year or two, we start from scratch. If Howard stays, we have a franchise player to build around. And we are a lot more enticing for another superstar to come here (preferrably a great PG).

If you think about franchise player with post game like Reggie Evans then NO. Dwight isnt a franchise player, we need to make that clear.
User avatar
themasterphil

 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:19 am
Location: Base Deep space 9

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 am

therealdeal wrote:I am a fan of principles. When someone dedicates their career to your team, you just throw them away?

When someone in your office dedicates (the equivalent) of 40 years, do you just push them out the door at the first opportunity? No. You show some f***ing class and you give them the same respect they gave you.


I'm talking more in a hypothetical situation. But say things went sour like Shaq/Kobe at the end of the season and i had to pick one, i would take Howard. I'm not saying trade the guy. It's more a hypothetical question. And i agree about the loyalty thing.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:40 am

How about a more fair question like Keep Dwight & tell him we will let Kobe go in 2014 or have Dwight walk & keep Kobe for the rest of his career.

Kobe is a legend, but Dwight is the young superstar in his prime, next year when he has a full summer & training camp to be 100% himself, he is going to be scary for the league again.

Also, Dwight is not a franchise player, it's not like he lead the Magic to the finals past LeBron James & was 3 wins away from the title.
Image

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
User avatar
GoldenKnight

 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:43 am

How about adding MDA as a third option?

:man9:

If this was not fantasy and could actually happen...business side suggest keep Howard...move Bryant....but...... Howard is still a huge question mark on what we have here while Bryant is not and still giving us exactly what he's been.

If these two can't coexist it's really a big strike on both of them ...... not sure keeping either would make sense.

Of course winning cures all which brings me back to that 3rd option i would like added :man9:
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:43 am

One can't be serious with a question like this....

The OP seems to want to separate the fan base into differing "fanboy" groups with this question..... not sure what other purpose it serves except to have a record to throw in someones face later.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am

themasterphil wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The answer is Kobe no matter how the question is skewed. I don't care who the new comer is, you don't pick them over the 5 time champion hall of famer.

Ridiculous to even entertain that thought.

almost as ridiculous as this thread.


Really? What i find ridiculous are the people saying Kobe without hesitation. Makes me wonder if they are a fan of the team first or of Kobe first. If Kobe retires in a year or two, we start from scratch. If Howard stays, we have a franchise player to build around. And we are a lot more enticing for another superstar to come here (preferrably a great PG).

If you think about franchise player with post game like Reggie Evans then NO. Dwight isnt a franchise player, we need to make that clear.


Howard is a franchise player. Just as Bynum is a franchise player when healthy. You don't need to be an all time great to be a franchise player, just a dominant player. Yeah, he lacks an offensive game but his fortay is defense, rebounding and putbacks. You pair him with a great PG and he would thrive.

When healthy, Dwight is a top 3 player IMO. Top 5 at worst.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:46 am

GoldenKnight wrote:How about a more fair question like Keep Dwight & tell him we will let Kobe go in 2014 or have Dwight walk & keep Kobe for the rest of his career.

Kobe is a legend, but Dwight is the young superstar in his prime, next year when he has a full summer & training camp to be 100% himself, he is going to be scary for the league again.

Also, Dwight is not a franchise player, it's not like he lead the Magic to the finals past LeBron James & was 3 wins away from the title.


they are both one and the same if you listen to Bryant...... he has suggested that he is leaning towards retirement after this contract. he could change his mind but maybe not.... the rest of this year and one more year is a lot of ball the way this team still leans on him.... I believe he will retire....at least from the NBA anyway.

To me Howard staying will have more weight on the coaching and philosophy in place than the services of Bryant long term. I'm sure the big baby can go one more year before being the only big dog left.... if he can;t than maybe he's not a guy you want to build around anyway.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Dwight or Kobe?

Postby JGC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 am

therealdeal wrote:I am a fan of principles. When someone dedicates their career to your team, you just throw them away?

When someone in your office dedicates (the equivalent) of 40 years, do you just push them out the door at the first opportunity? No. You show some f***ing class and you give them the same respect they gave you.


What if Kobe wants his existing deal extended for 6-7 years or whatever the longest possible is?

Isn't there some line that can be reasonably be drawn? Since when does have f***ing class mean you have to bend over under any f***ing circumstance?
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.