Dwight To Train With Hakeem Again In Offseason

Re: Dwight To Train With Hakeem Again In Offseason

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:54 pm

why is it so hard to be good in the post if your a big man these days? IMO post scoring is the easiest for me in real life and im pretty damn short. Is it because they cant dribble good or they just dont care enough to practice it these days? its confusing because being good in the post is not hard compared to becoming a dead eye shooter imo.
24/23goats

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 pm

They practice, but very large men are not always well-coordinated. But I do think it's very hard to learn a good post game. Shooting is actually fairly easy if you are naturally good at it. I was always an amazing shooter, but I never learned how to really play in the post. That requires some serious footwork, flexibility, constant awareness of where the rim is and of course -- strength.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:50 pm

I was never a great shooter but I got pretty good if I keep practicing. When I started post moves I found it very easy to know where the basket was and give it the right touch. Im not playing against pro players but simple moves like some fakes or up and unders would do dwight wonders. I think your right and a lot of it comes from not being as smooth and coordinated being that big compared to someone like me whos small and quick.
24/23goats

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:55 pm

^ Yesterday I was playing pick up. Had the ball on the right block back to the basket, and I'm right handed. Guarded by a dude with 10-15 lbs and 2-3 inches on me.

I dribble and slowly inch to right side of the basket as if I'm going to do a drop stop and finish with my normal hand. Well a few shakes later I actually drop step the opposite way to the left side and throw up a left handed jump hook. I don't have much post game.

Made me wonder WTF is wrong with Dwight. Dude must be really injured. And working with Hakeem can always help. He should actually try to incorporate the moves though.
Chillbongo

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:03 pm

i get what your saying..im only 5' 6" so everyone i play against is at least 3 inches taller and alot heavier and they are always surprised at my post moves. I dont think dwight needs to be hakeem in the post but do you ever see him back down and fake going up right, turn around and hook it left? Simple things that like to get your defender off the ground can drastically improve his post game. I think hes so used to powering his way in that hes a little scared to try new moves.
24/23goats

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Yeah man, I'd love to see him use the up and under more, or like you said fake right and go up left, especially because he seems effective with his left. If regular joes like you and I can be patient and read the defense, why can't the supposed best big man in the game? It must be injuries right?
Chillbongo

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm

i assume its because hes not used to it and he doesnt want to try something new and unproven after what hes been doing has given him all this success. I was always iffy about going to the post until my buddy kept doing it against me. I would practice backing down by myself trying to copy his moves until i started to get the hang of it. Maybe enough lessons with hakeem or KAJ will give him that confidence he needs to try it in game and make it to the next level as a BBall player
24/23goats

Postby revgen on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Rooscooter wrote:If you watch his shots carefully he launches the ball off his palm instead of his finger tips. You can't learn touch shot putting the ball which is kind of what he is doing.

Yep. He does the same thing at the FT line too. He flicks the ball instead of letting it roll off his fingers.

As much as hope that he'll improve his offensive game, this is his 9th year in the NBA. If Patrick Ewing couldn't get through to him, then what makes anybody think Kareem or Hakeem will? It's up to D12 to improve his game.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby gcclaker on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 pm

revgen wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:If you watch his shots carefully he launches the ball off his palm instead of his finger tips. You can't learn touch shot putting the ball which is kind of what he is doing.

Yep. He does the same thing at the FT line too. He flicks the ball instead of letting it roll off his fingers.

As much as hope that he'll improve his offensive game, this is his 9th year in the NBA. If Patrick Ewing couldn't get through to him, then what makes anybody think Kareem or Hakeem will? It's up to D12 to improve his game.

Yes, a majority of the ball sits on his palm while he holds it up. And why is it so far to the right of his head too?
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm

it is up to dwight as it's always been. having said that the magic made a mistake the lakers didn't. lakers had bynum in with kareem day 1. clean slate and build from there.

magic had ewing with dwight in what, 2007 i believe. 3rd year in the league. by then he was already a star, a foundation of bad habits was built because of his athleticism he built these bad habits. big mistake. had dwight been sent to hakeem for example the moment he was drafted, when he was a clean slate i have no doubt we'd be seeing a different dwight right now
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand