Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: "they call me Easy"

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:07 am

good for someone that was a nobody a little bit ago. loves his game and he'll get better. love his range now too. justt brings another dimension to our starting lineup bc he can shoot but attack the rim better than pau and makes good decisions with passing and looks to do so when it makes sense.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 am

khmrP wrote:with his offensive explosion I think people ignore a big negative that I've notice, he is horrible at getting around screens, so are most of our players. But Clark does an even weirder thing and takes really WIDE angles when the opponents try to screen him, same result as getting screened IMO because the guys he trying to guard still gets wide open. I notice anytime his man is involved in an inbound play said player is usually open and Clark is late getting there because he runs around the screen. I'm not sure if this is by design by its not a good habit the way he plays screens.

A lot of us have been saying that he lacks some defensive fundamentals. He's got fantastic raw talent and he works so hard on defense that he makes up for a lot of his mistakes, but he actually takes awful angles like you said.

He does that on most things actually. His angles on help defense are even weird at times and he makes up for it with pure athleticism. This summer that should be something he works on with our staff.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby halekulani on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 am

ya his defense is something you can fix in the offseason
fixing it mid season is highly unlikely
halekulani

Postby trodgers on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:49 pm

18 games as a starter:
46% FGs, 40% 3pt, 68% FTs, 11.1 points, 8.4 boards, 1.5 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.9 blocks
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Finwë on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 pm

His 3pt shooting has definitely been a surprise. He's one of the very few guys we've got that I feel quite confident is going to hit his 3s.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby SK8 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Earl Clark going through ball handling drills with Phil Handy.

:jam2:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Kit on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

When he doesn't make his shots, Dantoni will bring up Jamison very very quickly.
Kit

Postby ZenMaster4President on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Kit wrote:When he doesn't make his shots, Dantoni will bring up Jamison very very quickly.

Because Antony is a dimwit.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby Damian Necronamous on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 pm

We really need to keep Earl after the season. Here's my prediction on what we do...

1) Re-sign Dwight Howard and Earl Clark
2) Pick up the option on Jodie Meeks
3) Trade Pau Gasol for two younger, athletic wing players
4) Amnesty MWP
5) Cut Chris Duhon and pay him only half of his salary

Steve Nash/Steve Blake
Kobe Bryant/Jodie Meeks
(Acquired via Pau) trade/(Acquired via Pau trade)
Earl Clark/(Free Agent)
Dwight Howard/Jordan Hill

Assuming we manage to shed ~$10M in a trade that unloads Pau, and Earl gets a contract of ~$4M/year, we'd be looking at a team salary of ~$80M.

Some Pau trade options...
1) Charlotte, in a S&T for Gerald Henderson and draft pick/s
2) Toronto, for DeMar DeRozan and draft pick/s
3) Atlanta, for Lou Williams, John Jenkins and draft pick/s
4) Boston, for Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and draft pick/s (3rd team would need to take Bass from BOS)
5) Minnesota, for Derrick Williams, Dante Cunningham and draft pick/s
6) Milwaukee, in a S&T for Monta Ellis and draft pick/s
Last edited by Damian Necronamous on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Damian Necronamous

Postby escobar8 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:15 pm

another double double...he had some lapses...but he allways hustle...this kid is easily becoming my laker favorite...
escobar8

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Why would we amnesty Artest? He's an 8 million dollar expiring contract. If we can trade a 19 million dollar expiring, why not an 8?

Earl played well tonight. He's struggled from the floor lately, but his energy is still so high. He had a tough assignment against Garnett tonight and he did about as well as could be expected. Besides some silly fouls on the perimeter, he played a great game.

14/16. Great game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 pm

beast game
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 pm

therealdeal wrote:Why would we amnesty Artest? He's an 8 million dollar expiring contract. If we can trade a 19 million dollar expiring, why not an 8?

Earl played well tonight. He's struggled from the floor lately, but his energy is still so high. He had a tough assignment against Garnett tonight and he did about as well as could be expected. Besides some silly fouls on the perimeter, he played a great game.

14/16. Great game.

Agreed. I think having those expiring deals are going to be valuable...no point in using amnesty. If anything, I think the Lakers might use amnesty on Steve Nash in 2014 so that they clear the books and it's just Dwight left on the payroll....or dare I say...they use it on Kobe this summer and trade Gasol/MWP/Blake (all expiring) and get the cap room? (dont even know if this is possible)
FabFourLakers

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

And what can i say? I didnt even feel like Clark was having a good game..but he gets his baskets with EFFORT and HUSTLE. This is exactly the type of player we need. Love his energy and hustle...and he always brings it. I think if he keeps this up, no way we can sign him for only 4M...he's gonna command at least MLE type money...maybe slightly more...i'll say something like Michael Beasley money....3 yrs, 18M.
FabFourLakers

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

He didn't feel it early in the game, but he hustled. Then, he ended up with a monster double double. Nice. Good chemistry with Nash too. Re-sign pronto.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

I don't think they can use it on Nash. It's only good for players signed before the new CBA so I think they'll probably just let their amnesty clause go to waste.

No way they use it on Kobe unless Kobe has a career ending injury and even then there's ways to get his contract off the books against the cap.

*knocks on all the wood in the room*
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 pm

I think we use it on MWP because it's obvious that we need to get younger at the wing, and it's not worth keeping MWP if it's going to cost like $24M with the tax.

Earl Clark was a diamond in the rough, and a big man rotation of Dwight/Clark/Hill now looks good enough to seriously compete. If Dwight is at full strength and we can deal Pau for a couple athletic wings, then we're a solid 9-deep without MWP (Dwight, Clark, Hill, Kobe, Meeks, Nash, Blake, 2 players acquired for Pau).

That's why I think we amnesty him after the year is done. There will also be some solid guys available to sign with the MMLE (Korver, Odom, etc.).
Damian Necronamous

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 pm

didnt even notice he had 16 rebounds
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Again...

8 million dollar expiring contract. Even if he was absolutely useless, that much money off the books will be valuable to someone. He's still an elite level defender, so he's not even useless.

We don't need to amnesty someone that we could get value for.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Why would we amnesty Artest? He's an 8 million dollar expiring contract. If we can trade a 19 million dollar expiring, why not an 8?

14/16. Great game.

Agreed. I think having those expiring deals are going to be valuable...no point in using amnesty. If anything, I think the Lakers might use amnesty on Steve Nash in 2014 so that they clear the books and it's just Dwight left on the payroll....or dare I say...they use it on Kobe this summer and trade Gasol/MWP/Blake (all expiring) and get the cap room? (dont even know if this is possible)

Bleep No you don't say that! :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm

The play where he got blocked and then got the ball back and slammed it home in all the Celtics faces made me chant 4 more years.

Lock him up Mitch. Hill and Clark are going to be the Bash Brothers of the NBA.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 am

^^^ That dunk was awesome, we don't typically have athletic hustle guys that do stuff like that and it surprised me, came out of nowhere.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: career high 16 rebounds

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:31 am

got into a better rhythm towards the end of the game. i think it was just nerves for him bc when we had a big lead he was making his shots and finishing strong. rebounding was awesome and plays pretty well with nash imo
Ariza3

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: career high 16 rebounds

Postby kenzo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 am

He is gonna get paid :scurred:
kenzo

Re: Earl Clark Thread

Postby Lakeshow24 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:52 am

Doc Brown wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Clown wants to use a three big rotation anyway so I don't think a decripit Martin is necessary

So who would you rather have Earl Clark or Kenyon Martin?

YEP! Earl Clark! :man10:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion