Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: career high 16 rebounds

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm

^ I think Clark's future here is more dependent on the futures of Blake and Artest here than Gasol's necessarily.

What I mean is they're going to get the best return they can for Gasol. If that's Love, it's Love. If it's Granger or Iguodala, it's one of those guys. But they're going to try to get "talent" back. Cheaper talent sure, but talent none the less.

Their worst case scenario will be trading Gasol for picks/cheap contracts.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Gasol's gone this summer...so is World Peace. Clark and Hill should stay. Starting five...24, Nash, Howard, Hill and Clark.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm

gcclaker wrote:Gasol's gone this summer...so is World Peace. Clark and Hill should stay. Starting five...24, Nash, Howard, Hill and Clark.

Blegh. That means even less bench than we have now.

Gasol for a starting caliber SF. Peace gone for some young piece, preferably a swing.

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Meeks
Starting caliber SF/preferably a swing
Clark/vet min. signing
Howard/Hill

That's a damn nice start if we could pull that off.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Gasol's gone this summer...so is World Peace. Clark and Hill should stay. Starting five...24, Nash, Howard, Hill and Clark.

Gasol for a starting caliber SF. Peace gone for some young piece, preferably a swing.

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Meeks
Clark/vet min. signing
Howard/Hill

or your prediction comes true and we get this
Nash/???
Bryant/Meeks
Clark/Buddinger (full mini-mle)
Love/Jamison
Howard/Hill
:jam2: :man10:
khmrP

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:11 pm

^

Yeah, that's decent. :man12:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm

:man1:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Meeks
Clark/vet min. signing
Howard/Hill

True but complementary pieces will be brought in to take Gasol and World Peace's slots. Gasol's alone should net two or maybe even three at the most.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:52 pm

EC is easily my second fav player on the team, the dude just flat out plays. Does all the right things. I love how he hits the boards. We NEED to resign this guy.
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
DuddlyDoRight

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:34 pm

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Meeks
Clark/vet min. signing
Howard/Hill

True but complementary pieces will be brought in to take Gasol and World Peace's slots. Gasol's alone should net two or maybe even three at the most.
I don't know. I hope that Gasol is used to brought in more talent than bench guys.

I might be okay if Gasol was used to bring in multiple young guys. Maybe if Charlotte wanted to give us Henderson/Sessions/Whatever high pick they have now. I might be okay with that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:30 pm

The only two consistently good shooters in that lineup is Nash/Kobe. Kobe has even been struggling from the 3-point line this year; although, I do think that is more due to his elbow. Nevertheless, Clark & Hill, IMO, can't be relied upon to hit consistent outside jumpers, yet. Clark is improving, though.

However, you would run the risk of Clark & Hill's man sagging off making that paint even more congested for Dwight to have space to work with. We need a SF that can shoot well, defend at an adequate level, and create their own shot. Additionally, somebody who is more athletic then Ron & under the age of 30.

If you add a top 10-12 SF in that lineup with Kobe, Nash, Clark, Kobe, & Dwight, now you have something, IMO....
dwighthowardsdad

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 pm

^^^ Yeah....having two Kobes in the lineup certainly would not suck!! :jam2: :man1:

I keed .... I keed..... :beer:
LTLakerFan

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Earl is the main reason Pau is so expendable for us.. When Pau goes, it HAS to be for a starting 2 way SF unless by some miracle we get Love. A Batum/Granger/Deng would be perfect. Our defense with one of those guys/Earl/Dwight would be unreal.
lakersin4

Postby sina on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:34 am

Howard, Hill
Clark, Jamison
SF, MWP
Kobe, Meeks
Nash, Blake
sina

Postby jOeyB7000 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:33 pm

He's on 710 right now
jOeyB7000

Postby jOeyB7000 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 pm

dang I missed most of the interview.. only caught like the last minute of it..

When asked about his contract situation, he said something along the lines that he "definitely wants to be a Laker, this is the first team that gave him a chance and believed in him and we have a great team".

It seems like his heart is in LA, but then he also said that he understands that the NBA is a business on both sides.

It looks like his first choice would be to stay in LA. Hopefully he doesn't get an absurd contract offer from another team that prices him out of our range.
jOeyB7000

Postby borri on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 pm

I hate to say it but, we've got to consider the possibility of Pau + Clark/Hill for a piece or pieces.
borri

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:13 pm

^ I think Pau is a good enough piece on his own. We can throw in a Morris or Ebanks, even if the return on it is just a 2nd rounder. Don't forget, Morris got some time to be showcased early in the season. Not saying that he played well, but his value is higher now because of the PT he got.

Maybe some team will see potential in him.

We can't trade Hill or Clark. They were the bright spots of the team this year outside of Kobe & Nash.
Chillbongo

Postby TIME on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
We can't trade Hill or Clark. They were the bright spots of the team this year outside of Kobe & Nash.

Both have a great combo of youth, talent, hustle, GREAT attitude, and low cap cost. No way you trade players like that unless you're getting something amazing in return.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 pm

TIME wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:

Both have a great combo of youth, talent, hustle, GREAT attitude, and low cap cost. No way you trade players like that unless you're getting something amazing in return.

Agreed. We've all been complaining for some youth and guys that have tormented us over the years just by being younger and faster than the guys on our team.

We finally have two of those guys and we need to trade them now? No thanks. I'm looking forward to the prospect of having D12/Clark/Hill and being able to match up athletically with teams and kick the s*** out of them on the boards/extra possessions.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 pm

yeah sorry borri, but especially in the new CBA when you get young talent you've got to grab it.

Gasol is a 19 million dollar expiring along with 18/10/3 a night. He's still a VERY good player when he's healthy and motivated.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 pm

therealdeal wrote:yeah sorry borri, but especially in the new CBA when you get young talent you've got to grab it.

Gasol is a 19 million dollar expiring along with 18/10/3 a night. He's still a VERY good player when he's healthy and motivated.

from our standpoint, sure....but what about other teams? they are gonna want young, relatively cheap talent too.

what do we do if Min says, Love + Ridnour for Pau + Clark? Do we say no to that deal to keep Clark?

I wouldn't say no to that. Would you?
borri

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Okay well there's certainly situations where we would pull the trigger if we're getting back an equally young guy who's more talented. :man10:

That was like Kellerman yesterday saying "Well Mitch said he wouldn't trade Howard, but what if Miami offered LeBron?"

Of course there's exceptions. But the point is, Gasol as an expiring contract giving you 18/10/3 is a GREAT piece. Yes, he's expensive, but in Minny with Rubio he might be willing to re-sign at a discount and the two of them together would make a great marketing campaign. If they wanted Gasol this summer (I think they will) then I say Love and we'll take a crap contract back to even it out.

If they want one of our young bigs, we give Hill before Clark.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:Okay well there's certainly situations where we would pull the trigger if we're getting back an equally young guy who's more talented. :man10:

That was like Kellerman yesterday saying "Well Mitch said he wouldn't trade Howard, but what if Miami offered LeBron?"

Of course there's exceptions. But the point is, Gasol as an expiring contract giving you 18/10/3 is a GREAT piece. Yes, he's expensive, but in Minny with Rubio he might be willing to re-sign at a discount and the two of them together would make a great marketing campaign. If they wanted Gasol this summer (I think they will) then I say Love and we'll take a crap contract back to even it out.

That's all I am saying dude. The possibility exists that we might have to part with Clark or Hill or even both in any Pau deal. No where did I say we should trade Clark or Hill.....unless. You never know.

Heck for Love, if Minny wanted BOTH Clark and Hill + Pau.....where do I sign?
borri

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:14 pm

^ Not worth it, even for K-Love.

An unhappy star player in a smaller market will not demand that. No way.

We traded Shaq for Caron/LO/Brian Grant. We traded Kwame for Pau. We traded an injured Andrew Bynum and picks for Dwight & Clark. Granted we stole Pau but you see my point. None of those returns are as good as Pau/Hill/Clark.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:14 pm

borri wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Okay well there's certainly situations where we would pull the trigger if we're getting back an equally young guy who's more talented. :man10:

That's all I am saying dude. The possibility exists that we might have to part with Clark or Hill or even both in any Pau deal. No where did I say we should trade Clark or Hill.....unless. You never know.

Heck for Love, if Minny wanted BOTH Clark and Hill + Pau.....where do I sign?

I'm not with you on that one man.

Love is great, but not that great. Not great enough to give up TWO young guys like that. I think Love is literally the greatest fit next to Howard, but you take away Clark AND Hill and we've got NOTHING after them that gives ANY team a run. You put Love/Howard in front of Clark and now you're talking. Or Hill. Or both.

But you don't give up all 3 for Love. No way, no how.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion