Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs May Target Clark (p. 52)

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:19 am

hope he comes back. good backup PF for us if we sign some new players at the SF and SG spots.
Ariza3

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:17 am

I really want Earl back & think he can become a very good player here but if the Cavs want to overpay him we have to let him go. He's not THAT good right now. If they offer something like 5m, he has to go. I think he's a great fit with both Dwight & Kobe & will play himself into a bigger contract here than in Cleveland. Hope he makes the right decision.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 am

If does end up going to Cleveland, it would cool if we could do a Sign and Trade......

Clark for CJ Miles.

He only makes 2.25 million.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 am

Don't we have his bird rights?
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Pig Miller on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:40 am

yes i believe. not that i fully understand the new cba though.

i think we can bring clark back for the same price as what hill is paid. i'd be surprised if earl goes elsewhere, unless someone overpays for him ($5M and up range)
Pig Miller

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:43 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:Don't we have his bird rights?

Yes we do, but the Lakers know better than to overpay for a role player.

I'm sure they told him we'd love to have you back but our finances are limited. Go find some offers and come back to us last. If we have enough cash flow we'll match that offer, if not then congratulations you've got a lot of money coming your way.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Source: Earl Clark, Cavaliers interest 'very mutual'; sides meet in Cleveland

PUBLISHED Tuesday, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:11 am EDT
Sean Deveney Sporting News Follow on Twitter Archive Email RSS
View Comments
Join the conversation Text size A A A
Free-agent forward Earl Clark met with the Cavaliers in Cleveland on Tuesday, and though no contract offers were made, the two sides are expected to meet again Wednesday, a source told Sporting News.

The source labeled the interest between Clark and the Cavaliers “very mutual.”

Earl Clark could land with the Cleveland Cavaliers, as the interest there is "very mutual," according to a source.
PHOTOS: Top NBA free agents

Sporting News first reported late Sunday night that a meeting was scheduled.

Clark has taken an odd career path since coming into the league as a lottery pick of the Phoenix Suns in 2009. He was sent to the Orlando Magic as part of the Vince Carter-Hedo Turkoglu deal after his rookie season, but never really got a foothold in Orlando, averaging 2.7 points on 36.7 percent shooting.

It wasn’t until he arrived in Los Angeles with the Lakers as part of the Dwight Howard trade that Clark began to provide some return on his potential. After taking 10 3-point shots in the first three years of his NBA career, he took 104 last year. He made 33.7 percent, which is below the league average (35.9 percent), but he showed himself to be a good rebounder with the Lakers who can develop into a 3-point threat with more experience.

Clark has plenty of connections to the Cavaliers. Mike Brown coached him (albeit briefly) with the Lakers last year, and Brown is a strong proponent of the stretch-4—power forwards who can shoot 3s and open the floor. Cavaliers assistant general manager Dave Griffin was with the Suns when Clark was drafted.

Also, newly hired assistant coach Igor Kokoskov was in Phoenix for Clark’s first year-plus, and Kokoskov is considered one of the best talent developers in the game. He is generally credited for helping to turn players like Channing Frye into 3-point threats. The feeling in Cleveland is that he could help Clark do the same.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Just come back to us before you make a decision. That's all we ask.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:58 pm

So nothing positive will come out of the Bynum trade if we loss both him and Dwight except maybe losing injury prone Bynum... :man9:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Helljumper on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:40 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:So nothing positive will come out of the Bynum trade if we loss both him and Dwight except maybe losing injury prone Bynum... :man9:

More importantly, we'd end up losing Christian Eyenga for nothing :bang:
Helljumper

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:14 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 6m
Earl Clark update: Lakers did reach out to him when free agency opened but want him back only on their contract terms.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Yikes. Doesn't sound appealing.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:19 pm

This was a breakout season for him compared to his others, it was inevitable that some team was going to see that and be willing to take a chance and pay him. I want him back, but half a season of good play doesn't earn you a fat contract here, I would only want him back cheap, if he gets a good offer then it's oh well and good luck.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Weezy wrote:This was a breakout season for him compared to his others, it was inevitable that some team was going to see that and be willing to take a chance and pay him. I want him back, but half a season of good play doesn't earn you a fat contract here, I would only want him back cheap, if he gets a good offer then it's oh well and good luck.

This is my feeling exactly.

He said he wants to be here. We of course would like him here. But we need more from him before we just give him a big contract. Other teams like the Cavs might throw money at him like that, but we need more guarantee.

Obviously the Lakers would love him back though. He broke out here. He has an opportunity for a lot of minutes and a lot of success here. If he gets a big contract offer then so be it, but let's see how it all plays out.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 pm

And if they throw some decent money at him and he takes it I won't be mad at him at all, he's the type of player that was never going to make much before this breakout season, and he may never make as much as he could right now again depending on how plays from here on out. Role players like this need to take the money and do what's best for themselves if it's their one shot.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Weezy wrote:And if they throw some decent money at him and he takes it I won't be mad at him at all, he's the type of player that was never going to make much before this breakout season, and he may never make as much as he could right now again depending on how plays from here on out. Role players like this need to take the money and do what's best for themselves if it's their one shot.

Absolutely. I'll feel the same way I did about Trevor, Sasha, and Shannon from the last few years. Go ahead and take the money, you deserve it. Good luck.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 pm

I just don't see Cleveland offering him THAT much more though. They only gave Gee 3 million dollars and he started for them at SF.

They have Thompson / Bennett / Varejao / Zeller at the 4 and 5.
They have Gee / Miles / Bennett at the 3.

How much money could they throw at him and how much playing time would he get there?
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Well I don't actually see him leaving here for that reason. They're stacked already at all of Clark's positions and he HAS to know that Pau is likely on his way out. Here's where the real opportunity is and it won't be for much less than he'd make elsewhere. At least for one season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah I don't think he's gone to Cleveland or anything, I'm just saying that IF a team throws money at him I don't blame him for leaving. But he's said he would take less to stay here, so if he meant it and we offer 2 mil, another team offers 3, maybe he stays knowing he'll get playing time here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Helljumper wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:So nothing positive will come out of the Bynum trade if we loss both him and Dwight except maybe losing injury prone Bynum... :man9:

More importantly, we'd end up losing Christian Eyenga for nothing :bang:

Worse thing that happened to this franchise ever. :bang:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:Lakers reserve forward Earl Clark will meet Wednesday with the Cleveland Cavaliers in what will mark his second consecutive day in talks with the team, according to a league source.

It’s currently unclear if both sides have progressed enough to talk about an offer. But the talks progressed enough to have a second meeting.

The Lakers expressed their interest in talks Sunday and Monday about re-signing Clark, who became a pleasant surprise after being considered no more than a throw-in in the original deal that brought Dwight Howard to the Orlando Magic. But Clark’s return to the Lakers hinges on what offers he receives from other teams. The Lakers only can spend money from their mini mid-level exception ($3.2 million) and veteran’s minimum ($1.4 million). They also don’t want to sign players beyond next season in hopes to maintain cap flexibility for the 2014 offseason. Clark made $1.2 million last season.

Meeting with them twice in as many days makes me think he's out of here.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 pm

JSM wrote:
Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:Lakers reserve forward Earl Clark will meet Wednesday with the Cleveland Cavaliers in what will mark his second consecutive day in talks with the team, according to a league source.

It’s currently unclear if both sides have progressed enough to talk about an offer. But the talks progressed enough to have a second meeting.

The Lakers expressed their interest in talks Sunday and Monday about re-signing Clark, who became a pleasant surprise after being considered no more than a throw-in in the original deal that brought Dwight Howard to the Orlando Magic. But Clark’s return to the Lakers hinges on what offers he receives from other teams. The Lakers only can spend money from their mini mid-level exception ($3.2 million) and veteran’s minimum ($1.4 million). They also don’t want to sign players beyond next season in hopes to maintain cap flexibility for the 2014 offseason. Clark made $1.2 million last season.

Meeting with them twice in as many days makes me think he's out of here.

They haven't even made an offer though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 1h
Source: Clippers have interest in Earl Clark
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 pm

PITA Cippers
LTLakerFan

Postby OX1947 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 pm

JSM wrote:
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 1h
Source: Clippers have interest in Earl Clark

I wonder where he got those sauces from.
OX1947

Postby lotus on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Other teams are sabotaging everything the Lakers want to do. Will be glad when they have enough money to keep and get some of these players.
lotus

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion