Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: career high 16 rebounds

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

It's tough to play in OKC. Not excusing him but we're demanding so much out of him. I don't think he was prepared to play at this level.

I'm still extremely pleased and I know he's gonna work his a** off in the summer and come back ready for a long NBA season with some new elements to his game. Assuming he's still a Laker.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Hopefully he gets his 2nd wind, because we are going to need him down the stretch.

Lakers forward Earl Clark may have hit a wall
Forward is struggling after a strong run in January and February.

His name is Earl. His game is struggling.

The darling of the Lakers a month ago, Earl Clark has faded recently, failing to hit double-digit scoring in six of the last seven games while trying to adapt to the biggest opportunity of his NBA life.

If a player can hit the rookie wall in his fourth NBA season, it's happening now.

He started his 23rd consecutive game Friday against the Toronto Raptors and finished with two points and two rebounds in the Lakers' 118-116 victory.

Earlier this week against Oklahoma City, Clark was on the bench for the start of the second half.

Are these the first signs of the end of his run?

"He's hit a wall a little bit of late," Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're trying to cut his minutes a little bit to get him re-energized so that he can have a big finish. I think it's normal. You can't play that level all the time. He's coming down a little bit and hopefully he'll rebound."

Clark averaged 10.3 points and 8.4 rebounds in January and followed it up with 10.9 points and 7.8 rebounds in February despite tailing off at the end of the month.

March has been a different drumbeat for Clark, 25, a restricted free agent making a relatively low $1.2 million this season.

D'Antoni tried to remain upbeat about the same player he called "the brightest spot we've had this year" a few weeks ago.

"He's got it. It's just a matter of, he's never played this many games at this level with the importance of every game," D'Antoni said. "I think it's slipped a little bit, but there's no reason why he doesn't pick it back up."

After the Phoenix Suns took him 14th overall in the 2009 draft, Clark averaged 3.1 points his first three seasons with the Suns and Orlando.

He played every other game on average and it was short-lived when he did (10 minutes a game), a pittance compared to the work he put in for the Lakers since breaking out with a 22-point, 13-rebound game against San Antonio in January.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:58 pm

^^ He truly is (struggling). Hard to watch him drop off this much. They should have gotten some help with that injury exception. We were all calling for it. They got penny-wise pound stupid about it. Clark is wearing out. Pau is still 9-10 games away from playing.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:01 am

We need his production. I sure hope he gets out of it real soon...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 am

I'm not sure that Clark is hitting the wall as much as other teams are scouting him now. He gets more attention than he did in the past, and his game is still raw to some degree. One thing about not getting a major role in the NBA is that you don't get to practice the little things in game time. His movement is good, in that he's active out there, but he doesn't always anticipate right. He dives the wrong way, doesn't roll strong to the basket, etc. He'll get it.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby KB24 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:09 am

Its the same story as it always is. An unknown player comes in and does an admirable job for a while. But then teams start to scout him and give him some attention and the guy fades. Every season there are this type of guys. He gave us a big lift but has been a non factor for a while now.

I still like the potential.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:29 am

He's tired. It's obvious in the way he moves and the way he looks out there. Game shape is real and you can't underestimate it. He's NEVER had this kind of work load and boy did we put a lot on his shoulders.

When Pau comes back, the secondary benefit will be less minutes for Earl and less minutes for Howard. Those two will catch their second winds and they'll feel fresher for the playoffs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:36 am

I'm not ready to say teams have figured him out. He's still long, athletic, hustles and has an improved shot. He's gotta be tired above all else, he's never played this much and now he's our starting PF and backup C.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 am

Teams don't usually figure out the guys that make their living on pure hustle. He's still getting the same wide open perimeter shots and looks he was getting before, he just looks a step slow.

The foot injury, the dislocated finger, the heavy minutes, it's taking a toll on him right now.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:41 am

His D sucks for someone that 6 10", rather slow, takes really bad wide angle on screens or just completely gets blown up on screens.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:52 am

Hes playing more PF/C when hes a SF who can occasionaly play PF. Wish Sacre could play more C so Clark can play his natural spots. Hes taking quite a beating down low and its affecting the rest of his game. He just needs to hang in there next 2-3 weeks until Pau gets back

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:56 am

Doc Brown wrote:Teams don't usually figure out the guys that make their living on pure hustle. He's still getting the same wide open perimeter shots and looks he was getting before, he just looks a step slow.

The foot injury, the dislocated finger, the heavy minutes, it's taking a toll on him right now.

Doc, what happened with his foot? I don't remember that. But clearly he's slow as molasses the past couple games which completely negates his hustle game.

Something's up because he's not moving right. He got lost on D so easily last night and he could not recover on the shooters. That's legs/feet.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:34 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Teams don't usually figure out the guys that make their living on pure hustle. He's still getting the same wide open perimeter shots and looks he was getting before, he just looks a step slow.

Doc, what happened with his foot? I don't remember that. But clearly he's slow as molasses the past couple games which completely negates his hustle game.

Something's up because he's not moving right. He got lost on D so easily last night and he could not recover on the shooters. That's legs/feet.

Everything came back negative, but you don't get an MRI and X-rays unless it's an issue.

Earl Clark to have MRI on sore right foot

By Eric Pincus
February 12, 2013, 11:22 a.m.
Lakers forward Earl Clark will have an MRI on his sore right foot Tuesday. The team will issue an update on his condition later in the day.

The Lakers (24-28) return to Staples Center on Tuesday to host the Phoenix Suns (17-35) after completing a seven-game road trip.

Clark has emerged as a starter this season for the Lakers, averaging 11.6 points a game and 8.8 rebounds in 16 starts while shooting 47.9% from the field and 41.2% from three-point range.

Coach Mike D'Antoni chose to start the young, more athletic Clark over the more-polished Pau Gasol — citing a better fit with starting center Dwight Howard.

Gasol has since suffered a foot injury (torn plantar fascia) that will sideline him for six to eight weeks. The Lakers are also without forward Jordan Hill for the rest of the season because of a hip injury.

Outside of Clark, the Lakers have Antawn Jamison and Metta World Peace available at power forward.

The Lakers announced this afternoon that Clark will play tonight against Phoenix.

The team said that the "X-ray, MRI and CT scan on Earl Clark all came back negative this morning. He has a sore right foot [and will] play tonight."

Doc Brown

Postby borri on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Teams are now game-planning against Earl offensively and defensively. How he handles this determines his future in the league. Simple as that.
borri

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 am

What's the foot injury....did he roll an ankle or something else going on, and which foot is it?
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 am

I don't subscribe to the theory that other teams are scouting Earl Clark and thus his diminishing returns these past several games.

I'm with you Doc. I see him having trouble moving out there - especially last game. Something's up with him physically. He just does not have the explosion, the freedom movement or the hustle. That's not scouting or defensive adjustments. He isn't right.

I'm pretty bummed at the Lakers for not picking up a Big with the injury exception. I understand realdeal's explanation of the FO's probable money saving thinking about it, but I really think it might come back to bite us in the butt.

We've got probably 8 to 10 more games without Gasol. 8 or 9 on the optimistic side. And we have a couple killer road games coming up that are going to be quite difficult facing Atlanta and Indy.

I don't know what Earl's line was in OKC or NO, but I think someone posted that he only had 2 and 2 against Toronto which is miserable.

The worst part though isn't the offense but the defensive end, where he used to be incredibly effective for us. Now he's like non-existant on that end. The combo of Jamison and Clark defensively the past several games has just been horrible.

Should have picked up a guy like Amundson with the injury exception. He wouldn't be hard to integrate because he's just another hustle guy, and a really good one. We could use that RIGHT NOW.

We're going to limp our way into the playoffs or drop some key games that might put us out of it if Clark doesn't improve.

Clark was our bright spot and now his lack of production on both ends is really killing us.

I actually feel that Clark's drop off has been the biggest reason we've sucked so badly these past few games.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47 am

KB24 wrote:Its the same story as it always is. An unknown player comes in and does an admirable job for a while. But then teams start to scout him and give him some attention and the guy fades. Every season there are this type of guys. He gave us a big lift but has been a non factor for a while now.

I still like the potential.

It could be that. It could also be that he has played nearly twice as many minutes as he has in any previous season, and his MPG are twice as high, too. I buy some combination of looking at what he does offensively and his not being accustomed to the heavy minutes as a good explanation.

I mean, if only his scoring were down, I'd buy the scouting as the best explanation, but his rebounding is down a bit, too. And he has seemed a bit less impressive on D, too.

I'm with you on his potential. He has been compared to Boris Diaw and Marvin Williams in terms of potential. That's not bad. It surely fits with the team we have.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 am

Note: I should've read Doc and Lakerjones's posts. Yes.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 am

When they were talking about EC one TWC they said that the coaches have told EC to limit his offcourt workouts. Apparently he is a gym rat and does a lot of work before and after games. This is why they believe he is getting sluggish in games. Once he hurt his hand and had that foot thing he seems to be out of sorts. We do need the guy and his energy though.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 am

My amateur diagnosis -- compounding injuries and fatigue over such an increased work load. Sucks cause we really need his energy out there, instead of turnovers and slacking on D. He needs to do some intense conditioning work over the course of the summer if he's going to expect a pay raise to stay in LA.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:When they were talking about EC one TWC they said that the coaches have told EC to limit his offcourt workouts. Apparently he is a gym rat and does a lot of work before and after games. This is why they believe he is getting sluggish in games.

Could be part of it. Definitely not the time to try and improve your in game conditioning. This is the final stretch of the season. Everyone is banged up and tired but they dig deep and work through it. He's never had to do that, he's been at the very end of the bench so far in his career. This is an off-season issue. He's not Kobe or Dwight, so setting up camp in the gym every second possible isn't the best solution for a banged up, winded player. Like the idea and the effort, but he just needs to focus on getting as healthy as he can right now.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina
Earl Clark said after practice Saturday the coaching staff has told me to tone down his motor; fear he's trying to do too much
JSM

Postby gcclaker on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:28 pm

During the first half I was wondering where Clark was of late... Then he scores on a putback and cans a shot as the clock expires.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Another disastrous outing. He had a great final minute of the 3rd, aside from that he was the worst player out there for us today. MWP at least played elite D. Clark...not so much.
JSM

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:09 pm

He wasn't great today by any stretch of the imagination. I do hope that final little spurt at the end of the 3rd quarter gives him some confidence going forward.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion