Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Thread

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

Certainly earned minutes...
JLaker17

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Really surprised no one put these quotes in here:

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

D’Antoni: “Earl Clark was phenomenal … he deserves (a shot to enter the rotation when other bigs return).”

:jam2: good!

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation

D'Antoni on Clark: "I look like an idiot for not playing him." Welp.

Well he looks like an idiot for a lot of things to a lot of Laker fans :man10:

But I'm glad for this kid. These are the kinds of opportunities that a guy like him NEEDS to take advantage of. He's looked really nice for us so far and you can see he's got some swagger and personality.

I'd love for him to see a handful of minutes to come in and just try to give us a spark. Just jump around, run around, use those young legs for something. We need that from our bench unit more than ever.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 am

Jamison: "Ahhh f***!"
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:25 am

Punk-101 wrote:Jamison: "Ahhh f***!"

Well play like the do then old man :man10:

Can't argue with effectiveness. Jamison is largely invisible out there for much of the game. Besides a couple of great performances here, he's played pretty poorly as a Laker. I still think he has his value and at some point it'll come through, but he's just not been as effective as Hill or now even Clark.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Clark on Ibaka?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Clark on Ibaka?

Gasol on Ibaka?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Gasol on Ibaka?

I imagine Pau will be playing the 5 spot, so he'd be on Perkins. Idk who MDA will have starting at the 4. If he goes will Clark I assume he'd be on Ibaka. Maybe MDA will go with MWP at the 4 and have Morris or Meeks start at the 2.

Clark was very good on both ends of the floor against SAS, I would love him to get some more burn tomorrow.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 pm

He seems versatile. If he can hit that outside 18 to 20 footer (pipe dream) consistently you can play him from SG to C, hes got the hops and versatility to do. Im just really shocked at how he played last night he wasn't out of control. I dont think he can routinely give you 10-12 points a game but he has the tools to help us on defense

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Gasol on Ibaka?

I imagine Pau will be playing the 5 spot, so he'd be on Perkins. Idk who MDA will have starting at the 4. If he goes will Clark I assume he'd be on Ibaka. Maybe MDA will go with MWP at the 4 and have Morris or Meeks start at the 2.

Clark was very good on both ends of the floor against SAS, I would love him to get some more burn tomorrow.

The second option. We're going to see more small ball because well we need to. Clark will come in and give some great energy I think, but I don't think he'll have anywhere near the success he had in San Antonio.

I'd think we'll see Nash/Morris/Bryant/Artest/Sacre again. Morris on Westbrook, Bryant on Durant, and Artest on Ibaka.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Hopefully he doesn't give us a dud on Friday after that great performance. I think the Lakers really need someone off the bench to revive them a bit
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby retro_nights on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't get the fanfare, honestly. He may have another good game or two but the coach will just stash him on the bench again. Jamison had 33 and 12 one night too. I remember a stretch of games where Slava Medvedenko of all people had a couple 20 and 10 games.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:42 pm

^ You honestly don't get the excitement?...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby hollywood swinger on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Earl played tough and productive hope he cracks rotation. That being said MDA is a moron for having him on floor when we need a 3. Should have been 24, gatsby, meeks, jamison, metta on floor. Yes earl played well but made no sense having him out there. MDA also should have ran 24 off screen as decoy & had gatsby on weakside off double pick for 3. Horrible coaching trying to pacify the superstars ego.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm

retro_nights wrote:I don't get the fanfare, honestly. He may have another good game or two but the coach will just stash him on the bench again. Jamison had 33 and 12 one night too. I remember a stretch of games where Slava Medvedenko of all people had a couple 20 and 10 games.

There has been very little to get excited over this season, that we may have found a useful bench player is as good a reason as any. Obviously 2 games isn't enough to find out if he's really going to help us or not, but the potential has been shown. People are probably excited based on our recent history of trading for throw-ins that turned out to be useful contributors, big difference makers even, like Ariza and Shannon Brown.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Gasol on Ibaka?

?

I was asking if Clark, given the outstanding play yesterday, should be put on assignment for Ibaka tomorrow?

Your response of "Gasol on Ibaka?" smells of chastise given:

1. Gasol won't even be available
2. We all know Gasol gets torched by Ibaka

I really hope you are not scheming to chastise particular posters on an internet forum. :man3:
Last edited by Chillbongo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillbongo

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:23 pm

^ Chillbongo, I think TRD did misunderstand you, but I think it's fair for everyone to be a bit critical of others. Nothing wrong with a mod doing it. He just misunderstood you (I think).
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Fair enough. Just was taken back.

I was contributing to the discussion with an open comment not particularly directed at anyone. Just seemed like an attempt to jump the gun and harp on me.

Anyways, Clark on Ibaka? Can this match up work in our favor? Not so much offensively, but defensively?
Chillbongo

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Clark has some length and athleticism, but it looks like Ibaka has really improved his offense. My thoughts are that Ibaka will crush him.

I think this is a really bad matchup for us. I'd go...
Kobe on Westbrook
Nash on Thabo
MWP on Durant (and Ebanks would be second on him)
Sacre on Perkins

Not sure about when Martin is on the floor. Kobe doesn't take him seriously, and Martin drills open shots as a result.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Fair enough. Just was taken back.

I was contributing to the discussion with an open comment not particularly directed at anyone. Just seemed like an attempt to jump the gun and harp on me.

Anyways, Clark on Ibaka? Can this match up work in our favor? Not so much offensively, but defensively?

It's an interesting matchup. Ibaka has improved offensively. He hits that 15-20 foot jumpshot at over 50%; he's averaging almost 15 points & 8 rebounds. He's very efficient and gets open looks because of the attention that Westbrook and Durant receive from opposing teams defenses. If Earl is playing center, and either Westbrook or Durant drive to the basket, Clark may be forced to collapse to contest and leave Ibaka open for the 15-20 foot jumpshot. Ibaka doesn't have an effective back to the basket game; so Clark shouldn't have to worry about that.

Offensively, is where it gets intriguing. If Clark can make perimeter shots like he did against the Spurs, he may be able to draw Ibaka out of the paint where he blocks/alters shots. That would create more spacing inside the paint to operate without the threat of Ibaka lurking around the paint to contest the shot. That would help tremendously.

WTS, I believe a more intriguing matchup would be matching Clark up with Durant. He has the size and length to guard KD; maybe not effectively but it's worth a shot. He's a different defender then Metta and may be more effective...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby kobe_mamba on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Clark really put in on both ends of the court. He definitely has earned a shot. Good on him :jam2:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Gasol on Ibaka?

?

I was asking if Clark, given the outstanding play yesterday, should be put on assignment for Ibaka tomorrow?

Your response of "Gasol on Ibaka?" smells of chastise given:

1. Gasol won't even be available
2. We all know Gasol gets torched by Ibaka

I really hope you are not scheming to chastise particular posters on an internet forum. :man3:

I misunderstood your post, and I'm sorry that you took offense. I thought your point was that using Clark in an expanded role would mean putting him on a tough assignment. I pointed out that he'd actually be a better person for the assignment than other people we have available.

Even so, I didn't mean to single you out by any means. 99% of the time I don't know who I'm responding to. Obviously as a mod I wouldn't be inclined to alienate anyone.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 pm

^ All good. No hard feelings bro :jam2:

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
If Clark can make perimeter shots like he did against the Spurs, he may be able to draw Ibaka out of the paint where he blocks/alters shots. That would create more spacing inside the paint to operate without the threat of Ibaka lurking around the paint to contest the shot. That would help tremendously.

WTS, I believe a more intriguing matchup would be matching Clark up with Durant. He has the size and length to guard KD; maybe not effectively but it's worth a shot. He's a different defender then Metta and may be more effective...

Very interesting. I like the idea of getting Clark those looks in hopes that it will lure Ibaka out of the paint. That would do wonders. Theoretically, Gasol should've been able to do that for us, but that's a topic for the Pau Discussion.

As far as guarding Durant, he does have the size, but what about foot speed? Agreed though....wouldn't hurt throwing Clark at him.....Durant is one of those players that should see multiple defenders a game, a la Kobe.

Who knows, Kid Clark might be able to pull it off trying to make an opportunity for himself.

Kid Clark.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:00 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
Offensively, is where it gets intriguing. If Clark can make perimeter shots like he did against the Spurs

The problem is Clark has never shown the ability to do those things consistently. I don't think we'll see a game like offensively from Earl for a long time.

Obviously I'd love to be proved wrong.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 pm

therealdeal wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:
Offensively, is where it gets intriguing. If Clark can make perimeter shots like he did against the Spurs

The problem is Clark has never shown the ability to do those things consistently. I don't think we'll see a game like offensively from Earl for a long time.

Been wanting to say this all day but resisted.

Young fella had a great game last night. A career game in fact. Hard to hold someone to the standard of the best game they ever had.

LOVED what I saw from him last night though. Here's hoping he finds a place on this team!

Ariza 2.0?? :jam2:
phoenixrisingla

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:

Agreed. I pointed that after last night; he's struggled being consistent in Orlando. Similar to Ebanks, he would show flashes but never seemed to live up to the expectations of being a #8 draft pick from Louisville. Nevertheless, I do hope he does prove me wrong and ends up like J. Hill. Hill was drafted high in the draft and never really found his niche until he came here. We'll see, though...
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion