Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: "they call me Easy"

Postby last stand on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:44 pm

i like him more than hill. seems like there is talent in there somewhere. by the way werent clark and hill both top 10 picks by d'antoni teams.

odd
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:09 pm

OK here's the nice Earl article from Ben Bolch in today's rag Times:

Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013

Ben Bolch: Suddenly, it's Earl's court
By BEN BOLCH - Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES -- LOS ANGELES-Brenda and Larry Clark didn't see as much of their son Earl as they might have liked while visiting the Lakers forward over New Year's.
After polishing off some of his favorite dishes, including his mom's stuffing and potato salad, Earl would return to his team's practice facility late in the evening for a few hours of extra shooting.
"Sometimes, man, you'd get there and the security guard would be sleeping," Earl said, "and sometimes they don't open the gate."

It was nothing new for Clark. Teams had been sleeping on him for his first 31/2 seasons in the NBA.
The end-of-the-bench reserve didn't log one minute on the court during his parents' visit, which wasn't surprising considering he had rarely played for most of his pro career.

Before his parents headed back to their New Jersey home, they told Clark not to get discouraged.
"We said, 'Be patient and be ready. Your time is coming,'" Larry Clark recalled.
Was it ever.

Meet the newest Lakers starter, Earl Clark.
A player who had logged a total of 37 minutes over the season's first two months is now being introduced alongside Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Steve Nash.
Starting at forward, in his fourth season from Louisville, No. 6 . . .
Hearing Staples Center public-address announcer Lawrence Tanter say his name isn't the only perk Clark has enjoyed in recent weeks.

"Just waking up knowing I'm going to play," he said, "is a great feeling."
The feel-good story of the Lakers' season was largely a result of aches and pains felt by Howard, Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill. A spate of injuries to the big men early this month opened a spot for the 6-foot-10 Clark, who seized the opportunity and hasn't let go.

He played what was then a season-high 20 minutes against Houston on Jan. 8, impressing with his hustle and defense. The next day brought more tangible evidence of his potential: career highs of 22 points and 13 rebounds against San Antonio.

Clark has started seven of eight games since, supplanting four-time All-Star Gasol as part of Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni's insistence on a smaller, quicker lineup. D'Antoni said Clark's sustained effort and versatility as someone who can defend all five positions could keep him in that spot for the rest of the season.
"Just his defense alone will help us," D'Antoni said of a player who has averaged 10.6 points and 9.4 rebounds since moving into the Lakers' rotation. "Whatever else is gravy."

Clark's meat-and-potatoes stretch with the Lakers has followed years of fighting for scraps.
Phoenix drafted him 14th overall in 2009, with then-general manager Steve Kerr envisioning Clark as an uber-athletic, Shawn Marion-style defender. But he didn't get much of a chance during a rookie season in which a veteran team made a surprising run to the Western Conference finals.

The Suns changed general managers in the summer of 2010 and traded Clark to Orlando several months later. Stan Van Gundy, then the Magic's coach, touted Clark's potential as a defensive stopper, but he was buried on the depth chart behind Howard, Ryan Anderson and Glen Davis.
The waiting wore on Clark. "Some days you can be positive and feel good and upbeat," he said, "and some days it's like, man, am I ever going to get a shot?"

Coming to the Lakers as part of the Howard trade in August didn't do much to change Clark's fortunes.
Until now. "Ultimately for guys like Earl it's about finding your niche and understanding who you are and this is an opportunity where he can kind of figure that out," said Kerr, now an analyst for TNT. "He needs to be a defender and rebounder first and a scorer second and as long as he understands that he's going to be fine."

Like most 25-year-olds, Clark doesn't have all the answers. He told reporters earlier this month that the Lakers' next game was against Miami when it was actually against Milwaukee, and he once sprinted toward the locker room after the first quarter, thinking it was halftime. Clark also found himself guarding Miami's LeBron James and Chris Bosh last week on his birthday, laughing as his teammates ribbed him about James' pinning a dunk attempt against the backboard.

"He's still just Earl," Brenda Clark said.
That means he continues to work at all hours to improve. He has brought game-like intensity to practices and altered his shot to get a quicker release during marathon sessions with assistant coach Darvin Ham and player development coach Phil Handy.

"With the success he's had in recent games, human nature is to tend to scale back a little bit," Ham said. "Oh, I'm getting minutes now, I need to rest a little bit. Nah. Not him, man. He's taken full advantage of the opportunity, and he wants to make sure he plays well. "He also intends to keep the Lakers' practice facility as his favorite late-night haunt. "We don't really practice hard here in the NBA," he said, "so I like to go in and get a good sweat, get my shots up so I can be prepared to knock them down."

He's finally getting his chance. His parents are already planning a return trip to L.A. to hear the sweetest words they could imagine. Starting at forward, in his fourth season from Louisville, No. 6 . . .

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/0 ... court.html
LTLakerFan

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 pm

I retread the first few pages :man10: I think someone should go back in time to rewrite some posts...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 pm

I don't think so at all.

The scouting reports on him all said the same thing: indecisive, shoots too slow easy to defend, good defender not great, poor ball handler.

He's fixed three of those things: his shot has a little quicker release, he's being more decisive with the ball, and he's killing it on defense.

Doesn't mean we weren't wrong to be skeptical of the kid when he got here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vlade_12 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Glad he is the rotation.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:53 pm

He seems to have a lot of confidence going for him right now which is great, as long as he continues to bring his energy and hustle I'm more than happy.
XXIV

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Clark is pretty much the guy we all hoped Devin could be. Love his energy, effort and athleticism, and d00d throws up some of the most whack shots in the world that happen to go down. In that sense he's a lot like Jamison.

:man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Vlade_12 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Easy-E should be his nickname!
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:06 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Clark is pretty much the guy we all hoped Devin could be. Love his energy, effort and athleticism, and d00d throws up some of the most whack shots in the world that happen to go down. In that sense he's a lot like Jamison.

:man10:

That's true actually I really thought Devin would be this type of player in our rotation, except maybe not playing PF. I'm glad someone took that role though, especially with Hill being out for the season.
XXIV

Postby last stand on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Sprinted to the lockerroom after the 1st quarter. We have a scholar people

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby jbiggs on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 pm

last stand wrote:Sprinted to the lockerroom after the 1st quarter. We have a scholar people

author of the article must not have read this...

At the end of the first quarter when the Lakers played Oklahoma City, Clark ran off the court toward the locker room. D'Antoni said it was because Clark got confused and thought it was halftime. Clark claims it was just because nature was calling. Regardless, it gave the team a good laugh.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lak ... earl-clark
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby last stand on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09 am

Well to be honest. Having to take a dump is just as hilarious

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 am

Think about it , Earl is the 3rd " sweetener" (not sure it is the right word) Mitch got in a deal these latest seasons who contributes a good deal ... after Shannon and Jordan
wcsoldier81

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:15 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Think about it , Earl is the 3rd " sweetener" (not sure it is the right word) Mitch got in a deal these latest seasons who contributes a good deal ... after Shannon and Jordan

i wonder what sleeper hell get when we trade gasol
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Ice-Fire on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

It's crazy that this guy was averaging 1.3PPG this year now he's up to 6.0PPG with a solid rebounding ratio.

He can easily finish the season averaging 12/6 which in his own right would be considered for MIP.
Ice-Fire

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 pm

i love this man
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby escobar8 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 pm

we must resign him this summer...this kid keeps impresing me from game to game...
great game on both ends...he covered anderson prety good at 3pt line and still grabed 11reb...
its amazing how easy he plays...he just plays with the flow, never forcing and allways hustling...
escobar8

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 pm

escobar8 wrote:we must resign him this summer...this kid keeps impresing me from game to game...
great game on both ends...he covered anderson prety good at 3pt line and still grabed 11reb...
its amazing how easy he plays...he just plays with the flow, never forcing and allways hustling...

Totally agree. I want him back next season. Badly.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 pm

This guy is the new Ariza, but taller and much bigger. He wasn't spoken of as having much game at all when we got him, so he must have worked freakin hard on his game while he was not playing. Thanks again to George Karl for picking him to shoot those free throws or he'd probably still be wasting away on the bench.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 pm

We have his Bird Rights this offseason, so barring some ridiculous offer, we are more than likely going to have Hill/Clark/Meeks bench next year, which is going to be awesome.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Balance&Options24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Thank you George Karl.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 pm

This guy is awesome and exactly what we need. I can't believe I expected Ebanks to do more then Easy.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Blahdeh Deebatz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm

If he can shoot the 3 anywhere close to how he did tonight, the Lakers will be very hard to beat.
Blahdeh Deebatz

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Incredibly underrated dive man. He's a lot like Matt Barnes in the way he knows precisely when and where to make his cuts only he actually finishes, can hit from three consistently and is a superior athlete.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:Thank you George Karl.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion