Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: "they call me Easy"

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at what Clark is doing, it's not like he was selected at the 55-60th slot... during the draft... he was a lottery pick... he should at the very least be a very good role player.

Yes we all should have seen this coming even though tons of lottery picks never amount to anything and at least 4 coaches didn't see anything special enough in Clark to give him consistent time. I'm not sure what the point of a post like this even is. To downplay what Clark is doing, to make it seem like you expected this all along from Clark, what?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Perhaps Clark's game only suits MDA's system.... we should be thankful George Karl picked Clark to shoot the FT's and not Sacre.
Ice-Fire

Postby kobe_mamba on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:10 pm

Easy E just keeps rolling....turning into such a good player. He's got talent and he is motivated.
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at what Clark is doing, it's not like he was selected at the 55-60th slot... during the draft... he was a lottery pick... he should at the very least be a very good role player.

Every day I come to CL and I read a sillier quote than the day before.

Go do some quick research and see how many lottery picks turn into nothing on the court. Just check the Clippers history as a start.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby aznromeo169 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:Perhaps Clark's game only suits MDA's system.... we should be thankful George Karl picked Clark to shoot the FT's and not Sacre.

I was at that game, and I think Sacre was sent down to the D-League around that time because he was not at the bench. Nonetheless, thank you George Karl!
aznromeo169

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:24 am

Another solid game. He had 12 points in that third quarter. 17&10 on 50% shooting for the game. He's earning his money playing the way he is right now. He's given us such a big spark. He's been relatively consistent on this road-trip. He's had two sub-par games against Phoenix and Boston; coincidentally, those are the two games we lost.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 am

"I think on all of Mike's teams, guys emerge as 3-point shooters that were never considered 3-point shooters before."

Lakers guard Steve Nash, speaking to ESPN.com back in November and responding to the many naysayers around the league suggesting that L.A. simply didn't have the shooters needed to provide the necessary spacing to run Mike D'Antoni's offense.

Fast-forwarding nearly three months later ...

Nash got it half right.

You really can't refer to Earl Clark as a 3-point bomber when he's attempting only one trey per game on average, but Clark has unquestionably emerged in a big way -- as Nash predicted someone would -- to rank as one of the few success stories in Lakerland this season.

How big? Clark logged all of 36 minutes in November and December before, as Nash was turning 39 this week, becoming an indispensable member of D'Antoni's frontcourt rotation.

Yet what makes Clark so unique, in comparison to others who've previously risen to prominence in D'Antoni's world, is that he doesn't sustain himself with the 3-ball like Steve Novak or even defensive ace Raja Bell did. And he certainly doesn't play with the ball in his hands a la Raymond Felton or Jeremy Lin.

Clark indeed has an underrated and multifaceted offensive game, with echoes of vintage Lamar Odom versatility and trusty range when needed, that enables him to slot in next to Dwight Howard more comfortably than Pau Gasol does. But it's as much Clark's length, athleticism and willingness to play D and scrap on the boards that has allowed him to rise to prominence without warning.

Clark, in short, is keeping the game simple and playing to his strengths. And he's making nearly half of the 3s he does take because he doesn't go hunting for them, wisely choosing to let them fly only when his feet are set.

It's an approach that makes Clark, in his fourth season, one very rare source of feel-good for a team that has been churning out seemingly endless amounts of Shaq-and-Kobe-level drama, going all the way back to that 0-8 record in the exhibition season. Surely you heard how TNT's Charles Barkley downgraded the Lakers' chances of rallying into a playoff spot from zero percent to "negative 17" percent in the wake of Gasol's foot injury and looming six-to-eight week absence as a result.

If Chuck is right, no one will be blaming Clark. After coming over with Howard from Orlando for the purposes of satisfying the salary-cap math in the four-team Dwight blockbuster last August, Clark averaged only 5.7 points and 5.0 rebounds in his first 19 appearances in the Lakers' lineup. In the Lakers' recent 6-1 surge before Thursday night's splat in Boston, by contrast, Clark averaged 12.4 points and 8.9 rebounds, ringing up four double-doubles.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page ... ekend-dime
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:51 am

Clark, in short, is keeping the game simple and playing to his strengths. And he's making nearly half of the 3s he does take because he doesn't go hunting for them, wisely choosing to let them fly only when his feet are set.

This is what I've been saying about him for a while now. He does a great job of just doing those things that are within reason as a player. He's the perfect complementary piece. Much like Ariza was before him, Clark is just filling in the spaces for this team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Looking at J. Hill's contract & the way it was structured, IF Earl can continue to play this way, I can see the Lakers offering a 2-year 8 million dollar deal with the second year being a Team Option.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:12 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:Looking at J. Hill's contract & the way it was structured, IF Earl can continue to play this way, I can see the Lakers offering a 2-year 8 million dollar deal with the second year being a Team Option.

If he keeps playing the way he's been playing, he's actually worth more than that; something close to MLE. Guys who are defensive stoppers in 3 different positions and can basically average a double-double are pretty damn rare.

I need way more of what he's doing so far though. He's got to finish the season this way. And no matter what he's got to come back on a 2 year deal. Or AT WORST a 3 year deal with a Team Option on the 3rd one.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:Looking at J. Hill's contract & the way it was structured, IF Earl can continue to play this way, I can see the Lakers offering a 2-year 8 million dollar deal with the second year being a Team Option.

If he keeps playing the way he's been playing, he's actually worth more than that; something close to MLE. Guys who are defensive stoppers in 3 different positions and can basically average a double-double are pretty damn rare.

I need way more of what he's doing so far though. He's got to finish the season this way. And no matter what he's got to come back on a 2 year deal. Or AT WORST a 3 year deal with a Team Option on the 3rd one.

You're right. I just can't see the Lakers investing more then 4 million dollars. Who knows, though? You just might have too if he continues to play like this for the rest of the season & especially if he helps them make it to the PO's.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Well remember there's almost no chance they keep BOTH Gasol and Howard. If Howard walks, I see them letting that happen so that they shed salary. If Howard re-signs, I see them trading Pau pretty much immediately.

Then you re-sign Clark as your starting PF so having a starting PF for 5 million dollars isn't a stretch.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 pm

^You're right. Actually, I think even with all the drama, Dwight's resigning. I believe Pau will be moved which will shed a little over 19 million dollars. If you can sign him for 3 years 15-million with a Third Year as a Team Option, that would be okay. You would have Howard, Hill, and Clark all under 30 for the next 4-5 years, possibly.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:32 pm

I could see the Lakers trading Pau to a team with cap space that ended up striking out in free agency....a team like the Rockets...and the Lakers take a 19M trade exception back for Pau, or they take a few players off the Rockets for him...i think for sure Pau is gone though if Dwight re-signs....the Lakers will keep Clark and Dwight.
FabFourLakers

Postby dj vitus on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Someone upload a video of Earl Clark's REJECTION on LeBron in the 4th quarter. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:36 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Of course like Hill on KD last season ... no replay
wcsoldier81

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42 pm

He got rejected a couple of times, shot an air-ball, and had a couple of shots that were too quick for my taste. Overall, he was solid, though...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dj vitus on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:43 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:

Wooooooooooooo! :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Weezy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Well, at least Earl keeps plugging along, can't blame him too much for the rebounds, he's playing a ton of minutes and he's not a center.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm

played well. shot with confidence. play okay d on lebron which is really all you can ask of him. i think he was smart towards to end to give lebron a cushion and make him shoot jumpers unlike what metta did so that was good. 17 shots though.....
Ariza3

Postby escobar8 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:48 pm

another solid game...yea i said solid...couse i am amazed by this kid...this kind of games are becoming normal for him...its like i expect every game 15p and 10reb...
he got rejected by birdman...but his block on lebron was highlight...
only good thing if we miss play offs that we will probably have to pay less to resign him...his stocks are rising fast...
escobar8

Postby Finwë on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Another good game
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Earl Clark is gonna make some free-agent $$$$ this summer.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JGC on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Love this kid. He's gonna get paid and I hope it's by us too.
JGC

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion