Ebanks might be Kobe's primary backup? (Nope its MWP! Pg. 5)

Ebanks might be Kobe's primary backup? (Nope its MWP! Pg. 5)

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Seriously...Mike is so noncommittal about the bench, he wants to be fair and give everyone a chance but at the same time is misusing them and considers all these bench players "interchangeable". Then we have a mess like last year where players get inconsistent minutes and then you have a game of musical chairs going on with the bench. WTF is this? Just define their roles clearly instead of just leaving it open in the air. I understand its just preseason and this is where you try to learn what works and what doesn't but come on Ebanks cant be Kobe's backup it has to be Meeks. If anything he should be a 3/4 more than a 2/3, Ebanks doesn't have range like Meeks has and has zero ball handling/protection skills

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lat-devin-ebanks-post-20121010,0,7472254.story?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=53297

The quiet motor in Devin Ebanks hardly yields much insight in interviews. A man of few words yet at the same time gracious, Ebanks has let his actions on the court give testament to his ongoing development entering his third season with the Lakers.

Whether it was under Phil Jackson or now with Mike Brown, the coaches have loved how Ebanks stays within his lane, devotes time to his craft and minimizes mistakes when given an opportunity. It's also part of the reason why the Lakers re-signed him to a one-year deal this off-season for a little over $1 million. And the early signs of training camp suggests Ebanks may be on the verge of having a bigger role.

The Lakers didn't keep Matt Barnes, automatically putting Ebanks behind Metta World Peace at the small forward position. But Brown said Ebanks may also play as the primary backup shooting guard spot behind Kobe Bryant.

"The thing I like about him more than anything else is his length," Brown said of the 6-9 Ebanks. "If we have him at the 2, Antawn [Jamison] at the 3 and Jordan [Hill] at the 4, we're a long and athletic team. But Devin has to go earn it because Jodie Meeks has turned some heads."

In what he considers a "nice, healthy competition," Brown still touts Meeks as having the edge over Ebanks and Chris Douglas-Roberts. But the way Brown has used Ebanks in training camp suggests otherwise. In the Lakers' 110-83 preseason loss Sunday to the Golden State Warriors, Ebanks played as the the team's first backup shooting guard, scoring six points on three-of-six shooting in just under 13 minutes. Meeks, meanwhile, didn't play until the second half and scored five points in 10 minutes, 44 seconds. More importantly, Ebanks has played with the second team during most of the practice times open to the media.

But regardless of where he plays, just getting on the court is what matters to Ebanks.

"Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me," he said. "I could play either two or three. Either way is interchangeable. Being a 2 and 3 in our offense is pretty much the same."

Ebanks sounded more focused on what the Lakers new offense that features elements of the Princeton system will do for his game.

"I like this offense way better than last year's," said Ebanks, who averaged four points on 41.6% shooting in 16.5 minutes last season. "There's a lot of movement, a lot of spacing and it gives you a lot of room to go one-on-one and take your defender. The offense is definitely good for me. I know where I'm going to get my shots. I know where I'm going to possibly get the ball if it gets kicked out to me or if I'm in a pick-and-roll situation or cutting situation."

Still, Ebanks spent a lot of time in the past two off-seasons working on the shooting guard spot. Most of that work has entailed ensuring more consistency in his shooting stroke, which the coaching staff believes led to his career-best 41.4% mark from the field. Ebanks mostly played at small forward last season because of the inconsistency at that position. World Peace entered training camp overweight. Though Barnes usually provided dependable energy and slashing abilities, he often shot too much from three-point range and committed unnecessary fouls. But Ebanks was solid at the shooting guard spot when he played for eight games while Bryant nursed a shin injury.

The Lakers value Meeks' marksmanship as a career 37% three-point shooter. That's why they signed him to a two-year, $3-million deal in hopes to improve the team's 25th-place ranking last season from behind the perimeter. But the Lakers also trust Ebanks' development.

"The one thing Devin is doing is he's trying to play within himself," Brown said. "He's playing confidently. He's trying to play defense. He's trying to rebound. We all know he can shoot. We all know he can score at 6-9. As long as he plays within himself and doesn't try to do too much, he'll play fine."

Regardless of who ascends on the pecking order, Brown suggested he'd write the names in with a pencil more than pen. He considers anyone outside of the starting lineup interchangeable. Given the Lakers' complementary pieces with Jamisons scoring, Meeks' outside shooting, Hills' energy and Ebanks' length, Brown believes he can get enough flexibility to sort out various lineups.

As he always has, Ebanks vows to keep his quiet motor running regardless of how his role plays out.

Said Ebanks: "I have to stay ready for both positions."
Last edited by The Rock on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Devin Ebanks might be Kobe's primary backup?

Postby Wrath12X on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 pm

:disagree:
Wrath12X

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:33 pm

One, he's not a shooting guard. Two, having your bench lineup written in pencil, never giving guys a consistent role or consistent minutes, is stupid, as we witnessed last season. Mike Brown is an idiot if he truly does this, I don't think Meeks came here to be behind a guy who has proven little to nothing in his short NBA career.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Ebanks is not a 2. Period.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:43 pm

SMDH. :disagree: :disagree:

They give him a true backup SG in Meeks, who basically takes a lesser pay check to be here. Mike Brown truly bums me out. He just has these ridiculous ideas and he gets stuck on them.

I basically thought this roster was Brown proof but I guess not.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Stop thinking defense, start thinking offense. We need Meeks to have consistent playing time, get confident with his shot and where he needs to be on the floor, and spread the floor for us. Meeks is more than a capable defender.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:55 pm

its like Mr. Potato head is LOOKING for ways to mess this up
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

I really hope Brown is trying some Phil mind-games to motivate or something... :bang:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:07 pm

lakerswiz wrote:And again. What is it - the second preseason game tonight? And we're pissed he doesn't have a set bench rotation? :man10:

This guy will never win here.

The article says Brown says anyone outside the starting lineup is interchangeable, not just in preseason, in general. I don't care what he does in preseason, but when real games start, the ever changing bench lineups are not a good thing IMO. Last year it messed with some guys game if you ask me, McRoberts and Ebanks to name a few, as for the 2 and the 3 being the same, I disagree, at least when it comes to the difference between Meeks and Ebanks. Ebanks is not a 2 just like Ron is not a 2, it's out of position for them, they aren't guards they're forwards.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Thinking about it, Ebanks could be very good at the 2 spot defensively and in spot minutes. Primary backup? I'm not sure about that since he has not shown the range to stretch the defense out on the perimeter. That is what is needed for that position too. If only we signed someone for that reason. Oh wait...

:man10:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Ebanks at the 2, Jamison at the 3, Hill at the 4 huh?

As if Mike didn't notice that when Jamison went in at the 3 last game, GS went straight ISO at him two times in a row from the top of the key. I remember they scored once....

What do you think OKC/Miami will do with that?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby SK8 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm

WTF did i just read? Ouh man this is not good at all! I mean seriously, EBANKS? Dude is trash, please tell me what the f*** is he good for? I really don't care if he is long or whatsoever, his height won't do the job, weeeee need a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]* shooter like Meeks to knock down those threes when Nash or whoever kick ball out.
WOW this is crazy. I think Meeks is going to be pissed, seriously, this guy agreed for less money to be here and back up Kobe, and now he have to fight for his role with EBANKS? Man ouh man, Mike Brown is allredy making a big mess, and we are only in front of second game.....

......ou yeah, of the PRESEASON :bang: :bang:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 pm

At least he's given no indications Steve Blake is going to be playing SG. :man10:

Yet.....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby thkthebest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Mike Brown has...an interesting way of viewing things.
thkthebest

Postby SK8 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:36 pm

And i think you are defending Brown for no reason.
Meeks is not here to fight with Ebanks to get some minutes. Mike is a mess, and you know it, you just don't want to accept it.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:37 pm

If Ebanks truly earns the spot over Meeks it will mean that he is a better 3pt shooter and a better ball handler. If he really is, fine give him the spot over Meeks. I'm HIGLY skeptical.

The problem isn't Ebanks at the 2 (assuming he really is better than Meeks). The problem is Jamison at the 3 and Hill at the 4. I'm fine with Jamison playing a little 3 and Hill playing some 4, but those shouldn't be their primary spots.

If Ebanks became a better Sg than Meeks over the summer, fine. Play CDR at the backup 3, Jamison at the 4, and Hill at the 5.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:00 pm

#firemikebrown
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Punk-101 wrote:If Ebanks truly earns the spot over Meeks it will mean that he is a better 3pt shooter and a better ball handler. If he really is, fine give him the spot over Meeks. I'm HIGLY skeptical.

The problem isn't Ebanks at the 2 (assuming he really is better than Meeks). The problem is Jamison at the 3 and Hill at the 4. I'm fine with Jamison playing a little 3 and Hill playing some 4, but those shouldn't be their primary spots.

If Ebanks became a better Sg than Meeks over the summer, fine. Play CDR at the backup 3, Jamison at the 4, and Hill at the 5.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:29 pm

This rotation for the bench renders Jamison useless. Meeks doesn't even get to play. And our bench scoring has to come from Hill's & Ebanks' midrange shooting. Perfect :disagree: .

Ebanks will do the same thing at the 3 as Mike Brown wants him to do at the 2 so why not play Meeks at the 2 and still have Ebanks do what he'd be doing but at the 3 and thus have another scorer off the bench instead of just Ebanks? This allows Jamison to really shine at his natural 4 spot aswell and Hill will be able to duplicate what he did for us last season at the backup center. Meeks came here to play backup shooting guard and didnt take less money to fight with Ebanks, who is a SF, for those minutes. Playing Ebanks at the 2 screws up the ENTIRE rotation and lineup for our 2nd unit for the worse imo.

Mike Brown needs to realize that just bc a player can play another position, doesn't mean he should. Case and point when Phil Jackson, who knows what he's doing, played Odom at the 3. Odom could def play that position but his advantage at the 4 did not carry over to the 3 and it was a wash...so he moved him back to the 4 spot where he shined. Don't make the same mistake with Jamison and Ebanks.

Mike Brown is an idiot. :bang: x1000
Ariza3

Postby LakerFan1235 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Our bench needs to be this:
Blake
meeks
ebanks
Jamison
Hill.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby ThizGuy83 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:04 pm

then wut was the point of signing meeks for then?
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 pm

brandonr2001 wrote:then wut was the point of signing meeks for then?

So Miami or OKC won't sign him? Who knows. :freak2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:48 pm

James Worthy and Dave Miller both don't believe Meeks will be the backup two guard. Worthy just said he felt like Duhon would be the backup. :freak2:
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 pm

The Original 81 wrote:James Worthy and Dave Miller both don't believe Meeks will be the backup two guard. Worthy just said he felt like Duhon would be the backup. :freak2:

what...the...hell.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 pm

The Original 81 wrote:James Worthy and Dave Miller both don't believe Meeks will be the backup two guard. Worthy just said he felt like Duhon would be the backup. :freak2:

:man10:

If Blake/Duhon trot out together, I'll never make fun of Brown again because it would be awful to make fun of the mentally challenged.
Doc Brown

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion