Eddie Jones At His Best

Eddie Jones At His Best

Postby VladeDivacIsMyHero on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 am

VladeDivacIsMyHero

Re: Eddie Jones At His Best

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:35 am

93-96 Lakers weren't a great team but they were still entertaining.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Eddie was a baller when he was young.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Eddie is one of the most underrated athletes around. Dude could jump out of the building. Whenever he thought he was going to be challenged, he'd [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] the ball back and bring it up over the top of defenders.

Thanks for posting, that was a lot of fun.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:03 pm

ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE!

was super bummed when we traded him for Rice...watching him as a Hornet was tough
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby TrillyandTruly on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:08 pm

I actually started watching basketball back in 95, when I was 7 years old. My cousin, who was my babysitter, was a huge Laker fan and whenever she was watching it, I would just watch along with her. She was a huge Eddie Jones fan, and so was I (I was 7, so I just probably cheered for him because she was haha), and we both hated Kobe because he was such a ball hogger lol. Later the next year, my mom got me an Eddie Jones jersey for Christmas (probably one of my favorite presents ever). But yeah, my basketball childhood memories consisted of the Lakers, particularly Eddie Jones. Miss him a lot, as he was that awesome, and the reason why I started watching basketball in the first place. Thanks Eddie :jam2:
My entourage is in camouflage; remove your mask, let down your visage...
TrillyandTruly

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:23 pm

therealdeal wrote:Eddie is one of the most underrated athletes around. Dude could jump out of the building. Whenever he thought he was going to be challenged, he'd [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] the ball back and bring it up over the top of defenders.

+1. Ahhhh, Eddie . . . my absolute favorite Laker of the 90s. Eddie got UPP!! Talk about a slasher, talk about a finisher at the rim, talk about a cutter and that baseline move of his was reminiscent of James Worthy my favorite Laker of the 80s. Eddie was a nice defender, too. I'll always rue the day he was included in that trade with Campbell for Glen Rice. Never liked Rice as a Laker. And I wished so badly that Eddie could have played for Phil. Can you imagine the dual big guard lineup of Eddie and Kobe in the triangle? Sick. Del Harris best lineups were when he played those two at the same time. Their defense was otherworldly. Plus Eddie and Kobe had a great chemistry/friendship from Eddie's college years at Temple and Kobe's high school days.

I think Phil would have loved the two big guard possibility with Jones and Kobe.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 pm

It was a tough call and I know why the front office decided to move Eddie, but it was definitely bittersweet. You had to give Kobe the space to be that guy, you had to let him take that position, but damn Eddie was a fun guy to watch.

I definitely loved the Kobe/Jones tandem. Talk about an athletic backcourt, Jesus H. Christ.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 pm

1st fav laker ever, still top's in my fav laker list, nick/ceballos/jones were the team I grew up watching. Nick was also a fav but after his comments during the utah spanking I didn't like him as much.
khmrP

Postby dkim514 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:27 pm

As great as and entertaining it was to watch Eddie play, it was also painful to watch him get punked by JR Rider during each and every playoff series against Portland.
dkim514

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:It was a tough call and I know why the front office decided to move Eddie, but it was definitely bittersweet. You had to give Kobe the space to be that guy, you had to let him take that position, but damn Eddie was a fun guy to watch.

I definitely loved the Kobe/Jones tandem. Talk about an athletic backcourt, Jesus H. Christ.

the moment Shaq got traded to Miami, they traded Eddie right away again
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby purp n gold on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Like many of you I'm very fond of the 95-99 era Lakers... Eddie was one of my favorites out of that bunch. Remember that 97 team?

Van Exel/Scott/Fisher
Jones/Kobe/Scott
Horry/Kersey/Kobe
Campbell/Horry
Shaq/Campbell

That was a fun squad to watch.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby gcclaker on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:It was a tough call and I know why the front office decided to move Eddie, but it was definitely bittersweet. You had to give Kobe the space to be that guy, you had to let him take that position, but damn Eddie was a fun guy to watch.

the moment Shaq got traded to Miami, they traded Eddie right away again

O'Neal was never into Jones as a teammate.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:00 pm

I loved Eddie. Smooth and a hard worker.

He was hard luck though. Traded from LA in 99 and they won 3 in 00-02. Traded from Miami in 05 and they won it in 06. He's like the Horry opposite - 0 rings when he was quite close to 4 potentially.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby kray28 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:55 am

Eddie was my favorite Lake Show Laker by a mile. I hated that trade...and still feel bad about it now. It's hard to argue with a threepeat, but it would have been great to have had him instead of Rice who was washed up and a poor fit in the Triangle.
kray28

Postby Balance&Options24 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:01 am

Eddie and Nick the Quik were the reason I became a Laker fan.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Juronimo on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Seeing Nick hit Eddie with perfect passes is making salivate over Nash hitting Kobe, Dwight and Pau with perfect passes. It has been years since we've seen a real point guard.

Nick and Eddie were very fun to watch. I wish we could have won a championship with them, we should have won in 98 but that didn't happen unfortunately.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Thenextgreat on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm

I would probably say Eddie Jones is my favorite Laker that did not win a championship here...He was definitely my favorite Laker on those 90's teams with Van Exel and Ced Ceballos and those guys...and I don't want to say it but I have to ...one of the things I remember about Eddie most is him disappearing in the PLAYOFFS!!! :bang: :bang: ....but still it was tough when they kinda had to move him.
Thenextgreat

Postby lakermarx on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:21 pm

The play @ 2:30 and the highlights in Philly = :jam2: :bow: :man13: :man4:
lakermarx

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 am

Yeah Great Player
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby 432J on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 am

i remember the mid-late 90's was the time i first really got into basketball

my earliest lakers memories are watching those teams with van exel, jones, and shaq. i still remember when they traded jones for rice, i was pretty upset since eddie was one of my favorite players, plus rice never really panned out as a laker
432J

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:24 am

therealdeal wrote:Eddie is one of the most underrated athletes around. Dude could jump out of the building. Whenever he thought he was going to be challenged, he'd [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] the ball back and bring it up over the top of defenders.

LOL. I'm guessing it was "c***" that got censored. :man10:

pound4pound1 wrote:ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE!

was super bummed when we traded him for Rice...watching him as a Hornet was tough

This one made me LOL too, I ended up reading it as "Die Ed" after a while. :man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby kray28 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 am

Eddie was a fan favorite, but when Shaq needed a convenient scapegoat to throw under the bus, Eddie (and Nick before him) drew the short straw, and Shaq was like, "Eddie, what have you done for me lately?"
kray28

Postby nduri on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm

my favorite EJ play has to be the reverse dunk over Duncan and Robinson...gonna try to find it.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby jlkr on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Eddie had a bad habit of disappearing in the playoffs *every* year. So much as I loved his athleticism, I stopped liking him on the Lakers because dammit, the ring is the thing and Eddie was not helpful toward that goal. Could not wait for Kobe to take his starting job. So I wasn't sorry to see him traded, heck I'm still not sorry even if Rice didn't work out, that was a trade that had to be made: Buss wasn't paying big salaries to 2 off-guards and there was a hole at the 3.

My fave Lakers from the 90's: Sedale Threatt and Nick Van Exel. Loved them both. Neither was afraid of the spotlight. Threatt was originally brought in to be Magic's backup but was thrust into the starting role when Magic was forced to retire; I liked the way he stepped up, he had that great move to his left with the push off jumper. Regarding Van Exel, yeah there's "Cancun", but I'll never forget his very first game as a Laker; he had an excellent game and I was just blown away. And I'll always love Van Exel for very last time the Lakers played in the old Boston Garden: he won that game for the Lakers with a near 50 foot last second heave from midcourt near the out of bounds line, then promptly turned around and ran into the locker room with celebrating teammates. Eat that, Red!
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion