'Eleven Rings:' Phil Jackson savors beating the Celtics in 2

Re: 'Eleven Rings:' Phil Jackson savors beating the Celtics in 2

Postby Weezy on Fri May 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Well, using a supposed friend and a guy who helped get him 5 rings to sell books is a little different than just putting interesting things nobody knows in there to sell books. He can share his own secrets and opinions all he wants, I just don't get why he keeps going to back to Kobe over and over, can't imagine Kobe is thrilled.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Weezy wrote:Well, using a supposed friend and a guy who helped get him 5 rings to sell books is a little different than just putting interesting things nobody knows in there to sell books. He can share his own secrets and opinions all he wants, I just don't get why he keeps going to back to Kobe over and over, can't imagine Kobe is thrilled.

Well, I'd like to think they helped each other get 5 rings, but yeah, I do hear what you're saying. I guess, from what I have seen, I didn't think he said anything ... malicious. Like, that Kobe is a bad person.

He just gave his perspective about Kobe. And often times, again in the excerpts I've seen, he always uses it as an example of how Kobe grew as a player and a leader. For instance, after that tidbit about Kobe wanting to take MJ one-on-one after the intro was intended to help Kobe learn about sharing the ball... he later said...

Bryant's leadership ability eventually began to change, Jackson wrote, taking front stage during a championship season in 2008-09, the Lakers successfully retooling with a different look of finesse (Pau Gasol) instead of the brute force of the O'Neal teams that created three championships.

"But then Kobe started to shift. He embraced the team and his teammates, calling them up when we were on the road and inviting them out to dinner. It was as if the other players were now his partners, not his personal spear-carriers."

I think we all saw that development from Kobe, and were happy about it too. Because without that change, I don't think he wins as "the man".
JGC

Postby Finwë on Fri May 17, 2013 3:07 pm

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I do think that it was unnecessary (and not really classy or respectful) for Phil to go back there (especially Colorado), probably just to sell more books.. Kinda petty in some ways.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Finwë wrote:I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I do think that it was unnecessary (and not really classy or respectful) for Phil to go back there (especially Colorado), probably just to sell more books.. Kinda petty in some ways.

Well, I thought that him doing that was really more about HIS own problematic way of dealing with it. I don't recall him saying Kobe was a bad person or was guilty as charged or anything. But rather, opening up about how struggled to deal with it and how it affected him because of what happened with his daughter. It wasn't about Kobe, it was about Phil.

Anyone watch the Leno videos on YouTube (I missed the show). To me, I felt like Phil talked about Kobe admirably, even if he did seem to put Michael on a higher pedestal.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Have you (JGC) ever actually sided with Kobe on any issue?

OK back to the topic. I agree that I am not sure why Phil would bring up the rape case. The fact that people are talking about it in a negative light says a lot about the impact of his words. Like many have asked....why did he need to do that in that way?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 3:24 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Have you (JGC) ever actually sided with Kobe on any issue?

OK back to the topic. I agree that I am not sure why Phil would bring up the rape case. The fact that people are talking about it in a negative light says a lot about the impact of his words. Like many have asked....why did he need to do that in that way?

On what side is Kobe on, with respect to this issue? The only thing I saw from him was something about comparing him and MJ is like comparing apples and oranges. Is that the 'side' you're referring to?

Thanks for getting it back on topic.

I can't say I've read the book yet, so I'm only going on excerpts. Did Phil actually refer to it as the rape case? Or, is that something we're just doing for effect? I was under the impression, and I could be wrong, but, that Phil didn't go in to length about the case. He went in to detail about how the accusation, affected his perception of Kobe and how he KNEW it was wrong to allow it, but had a hard time fighting it. So I thought that was more about Phil and his inability to compartmentalize. I just haven't been under the impression he talked about case details or whether Kobe really did it or anything remotely near that.
JGC

Postby Cleansed on Fri May 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Ok this is starting to remind me of the child's game that is played when someone whispers a statement into another child's ear, the process is repeated and at the end the message is completely distorted.
So let me restate and clarify the way Phil should ;)

Cleansed wrote:So again i state - Phil Jackson better hope that Karma doesnt return in the form of cancer again.

Lets be clear. The above is what i said. PHIL better hope . Not me. Why? Because PHIL practices the beautiful Buddhist faith. I am not a practitioner of any Eastern religion (including Buddhism) nor do i believe or agree fully / in the strictest form with the Buddhist interpretation or definition of "karma".

But PHIL does. That is relevant and important. HE is a self proclaimed practicing Zen Buddhist . So you see i'm judging Phil Jackson by the standards of his own faith and his own belief system which suggest that to perform actions mentally or physically with ill intent ..maliciously if you will..make him subject to his own negative intentions and energy in another form whether in "this life or the next". His beliefs. His faith. HIS KARMA.

Side note: anyone who has done any research into cancer knows that stress (in the form of inner unresolved emotional issues amongst other forms) can exacerbate the cancerous condition. I would think we can all agree that stress has played a role in Phils life (high level competitor working in a uber competitive environment) and that he publicly stated he had unresolved emotional issues at one point (that may have not truly been resolved) with regard to Kobe.

So i haven't said anything that isn't true. Phil Jackson better hope that according to his own dogma, beliefs and faith that his ill conceived actions dont come back to him as negative energy in the form of the deadly and serious disease cancer . It isnt unprecedented as he has already had a bout with it (which i am not saying was caused by anything specific he has or has not done).

This is squarely on Phil and his poor choice of words and calculatingly reopening old topics.

Question: What was his intent? HE doesn't mention Jim Buss according to reports (whom i'd agree he has a legitimate beef with)so... ..is this an indirect attack on the Lakers Organization due to the slight he received this year i.e. attack the face of the org instead of the org itself so as not to completely burn bridges in the event the makes his way back to the Lakers? Does he feel Kobe could have made a power play and forced them to bring Phil back but didnt and thus he is lashing out in revenge?

What i'm asking is..What makes an Phil Jackson attempt to perform character assassination upon someone that previously was viewed as a "friend" in Kobe Bryant? What is the motivation to say what he said ?

Enigmas within mysteries within puzzles.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Cleansed on Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Weezy wrote: In fact wasn't that a thing when Phil came back in 05/06, Kobe saying something like "don't put me in your books anymore"? :man10:

I vaguely recall this as well. Can you provide a bit more insight?
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
Cleansed

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Cleansed wrote:Ok this is starting to remind me of the child's game that is played when someone whispers a statement into another child's ear, the process is repeated and at the end the message is completely distorted.

Cleansed wrote:So again i state - Phil Jackson better hope that Karma doesnt return in the form of cancer again.

Lets be clear. The above is what i said. PHIL better hope . Not me. Why? Because PHIL practices the beautiful Buddhist faith. I am not a practitioner of any Eastern religion (including Buddhism) nor do i believe or agree fully / in the strictest form with the Buddhist interpretation or definition of "karma".

But PHIL does. That is relevant and important. HE is a self proclaimed practicing Zen Buddhist . So you see i'm judging Phil Jackson by the standards of his own faith and his own belief system which suggest that to perform actions mentally or physically with ill intent ..maliciously if you will..make him subject to his own negative intentions and energy in another form whether in "this life or the next". His beliefs. His faith. HIS KARMA.

Side note: anyone who has done any research into cancer knows that stress (in the form of inner unresolved emotional issues amongst other forms) can exacerbate the cancerous condition. I would think we can all agree that stress has played a role in Phils life (high level competitor working in a uber competitive environment) and that he publicly stated he had unresolved emotional issues at one point (that may have not truly been resolved) with regard to Kobe.

So i haven't said anything that isn't true. Phil Jackson better hope that according to his own dogma, beliefs and faith that his ill conceived actions dont come back to him as negative energy in the form of the deadly and serious disease cancer . It isnt unprecedented as he has already had a bout with it (which i am not saying was caused by anything specific he has or has not done).

This is squarely on Phil and his poor choice of words and calculatingly reopening old topics.

Question: What was his intent? HE doesn't mention Jim Buss according to reports (whom i'd agree he has a legitimate beef with)so... ..is this an indirect attack on the Lakers Organization due to the slight he received this year i.e. attack the face of the org instead of the org itself so as not to completely burn bridges in the event the makes his way back to the Lakers? Does he feel Kobe could have made a power play and forced them to bring Phil back but didnt and thus he is lashing out in revenge?

What i'm asking is..What makes an Phil Jackson attempt to perform character assassination upon someone that previously was viewed as a "friend" in Kobe Bryant? What is the motivation to say what he said ?

What Phil says about Kobe has nothing to do with cancer. At least, not in Buddhism anyway.

Your notion of karma is also completely misinformed (at least, with respect to its role in buddhism). It actually sounds exactly like the typical Western misinterpretation of 'negative energy' manifesting itself in some other form. That's not karma at all, not in Buddhism, that's not how it works. In buddhism, karma is about cause and effect, not about reward or punishment.

So the statement that Phil should have to hope that his cancer doesn't come back because he made statements you don't like is disingenuous. In fact, he doesn't have to hope that at all. Not in science, and not in buddhism.
JGC

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri May 17, 2013 11:43 pm

As I said in the "ESPN sucks" thread, I think alot of what Phil said negatively about Kobe's leadership is in reference to his first tenure with Lakers when Kobe was much younger and technically wasn't even the leader of the team.

I mean, surprise surprise that Phil's opinion of Kobe changed for the better as Kobe got into his mid-to-late 20s and had a few years of being the undisputed leader of a team under his belt, which coincidentally is where MJ was already at when Phil first got promoted to HC.

But then again Phil is a smart guy and Im sure he knows this, so this is probably by design on his part.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat May 18, 2013 12:28 am

I wish fans and medias could appreciate both players greatness instead of debating the same topic for hundreds of years ...

Phil has to sell his book so of course he's going to talk about MJ and Kobe not DJ Mbenga and Samaki Walker ...
wcsoldier81

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 am

I haven't read the book, but the title is 11 Rings, so I suspect that he's talking about all of them, from the early 90's to 2010. That era includes both the young Kobe and the older Kobe. So it's fair game to talk about Kobe's growth as a player.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Cleansed on Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 am

JGC wrote:
Cleansed wrote:Ok this is starting to remind me of the child's game that is played when someone whispers a statement into another child's ear, the process is repeated and at the end the message is completely distorted.

What Phil says about Kobe has nothing to do with cancer. At least, not in Buddhism anyway.

Your notion of karma is also completely misinformed (at least, with respect to its role in buddhism). It actually sounds exactly like the typical Western misinterpretation of 'negative energy' manifesting itself in some other form. That's not karma at all, not in Buddhism, that's not how it works. In buddhism, karma is about cause and effect, not about reward or punishment.

So the statement that Phil should have to hope that his cancer doesn't come back because he made statements you don't like is disingenuous. In fact, he doesn't have to hope that at all. Not in science, and not in buddhism.

Generally speaking i wouldn't respond to you but in this case i'll make an exception. I've got you on ignore for a reason :)
1. I never said that Phils comments have anything to do with cancer the disease so why are you bringing this up to me? Phils comments dont manifest cancer in others (well...technically i suppose they could in some extreme case but thats a different topic). His moral (some would call that "spiritual") conflict over those words internally can.

2. I am extremely well versed with Buddhism . If the word "extremely" is hyperbole then "very well versed" isn't . Specifically i'm well acquainted with the Soka Gakkai (SGI) branch / Nichiren teachings of Mahayana Doctrine . 5 years taught by an 20+ yr practicing SGI member who also happened to be an immigrant and former practitioner of Hinduism ..the root branch of Buddhism ( a wonderful representative of his faith i might add). Beyond the Lotus Sutra and my dabbling in Theravada doctrine for good measure i'll state that i've read the book by Ravi Zacharias titled " The Lotus and The Cross" . I say all of this to say that, well, you dont know what you're talking about with regard to Karma. That or you're playing a game of semantics with your reference to cause and effect / reward and punishment (in addition you're assuming you're interpretation of my words is correct) and attempting to build a straw man attack. So the short of it is: however you decide to interpret the word "energy" Phil Jacksons words carry impact (as all words do) and the consequences of those words and it's impact rest squarely upon Phil if his intent was malicious based upon his own belief system. There is no way around that no matter what words you choose. I HATE being long winded but unfortunately sometimes things need to be explained:
Example 1 - If Phil Jacksons intent was malicious with his words in the book and he has internal mental / spiritual conflict over his feelings and internalizes that conflict then, yes, it can manifest physically (and yes that can include cancer or other forms of deteriorating health). Some call that "karma" cause and effect ( a western way / non spiritual way of viewing it). I'll not touch on faiths that use semantics when interpreting their scriptures to align themselves with science so they can be seen as more accurate in a modern world.

Example 2- If Phil Jacksons intent was malicious with his words in the book and he has internal mental / spiritual conflict over his feelings & actions and later passes away (of old age for example) according to his beliefs in his NEXT life if he were to be A) born into a negative situation (i.e. what he emotionally interpreted as negative) or B) were to be , oh, punched in the face by a reincarnated Kobe Bryant in the form of a little boy then that would also be cause and effect & "reward punishment". At the core of both the large path and the small path teachings ( or "vehicles" if you want to be strict referring to Mahayana & Theravada ) this is truth. You can't escape that. I wont even get into the teaching of "karmic debt" which further bolsters this point.....

So , yes, according to Phils self proclaimed beliefs as a Buddhist his actions do carry impact with regard to his personal well being . Whether in this life or the next (if one believes such things)
is not for you or i to answer because neither of us knows. Thus his HOPING that his well crafted words don't impact him in this life in any form isn't an off base statement. Unless of curse Phil is lying about his faith/ being a Buddhist or simply doesn't give a damn about the "spiritual" repercussions

With that said...i think you are the best at what you do on this board. I'm done.
Last edited by Cleansed on Sat May 18, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleansed

Postby Cleansed on Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 am

Tobias Funke wrote:As I said in the "ESPN sucks" thread, I think alot of what Phil said negatively about Kobe's leadership is in reference to his first tenure with Lakers when Kobe was much younger and technically wasn't even the leader of the team.

I mean, surprise surprise that Phil's opinion of Kobe changed for the better as Kobe got into his mid-to-late 20s and had a few years of being the undisputed leader of a team under his belt, which coincidentally is where MJ was already at when Phil first got promoted to HC.

But then again Phil is a smart guy and Im sure he knows this, so this is probably by design on his part.

This is the crux of my issue with Phil. He knows better. He isnt a child or uneducated.
So , yeah, he can technically say whatever he wants...but should he?
Cleansed

Postby The Rock on Sat May 18, 2013 4:53 am

Does Phil even mean half the things he says...I mean we all know hes manipulative and always has some intention behind it. Who knows...maybe he said it to push Kobe to keep playing

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat May 18, 2013 6:02 am

I'm flabbergasted by some of the comments in this thread.

Again, Kobe made two public responses. His initial response was...
Proof that relationships can grow #tbt #mentor #cinco #mjkb #differentanimalsamebeast instagram.com/p/ZYcN1Rx

Hash tags with truth be told, mentor and his classic Nike slogan with animals, sharks and beasts...oh my!

The second comment came after his fans must have got in his head, and then he paints some perspective...

The comparisons are #apples2oranges Wonder what the perception would be if M played wit @shaq instead #differentroles #differentcareerpaths

Reading both public comments, I don't see any angst towards Phil. All I see is love and a perspective to those that think that the comparison was an insult towards him. Phil is trying to sell a product, but he has every right to reflect and share his opinion on the two athletes.

Jordan had a higher FG%, but then again, zones were not in play at the time. Playing one on one against either MJ or Kobe...good luck with that. But then again, on the flip side, Shaq was a double team magnet, which means more open shots for Kob. The argument can be made in favor of either player when the intangibles come into play....but the bottomline is that MJ did shoot better.

A better defender? Well, again one on one basketball vs zone defense. Kobe and Jordan were products of their environment. Also to note, Jordan could hand check, Kobe couldn't. Again, arguments can be made for both players, but only one of them won DPOY.

On the Tonight Show, Phil brought up an excellent point on Jordan's leadership....the guy had 4 years of Dean Smith in college....Kobe came straight out of Lower Merion.....just like coaching, college matters (in terms of leadership and people skills....not necessarily pay grade, but that's a whole other topic).

As far as Colorado is concerned, there are many adulterers in the league, but not too many that are involved in lewd sexual conduct. Phil just happened to have a daughter that had been a victim of such acts by an athlete. If its his book, that becomes fair game and what makes it a feel good story is that Kobe was cleared of the charges and Phil was able to get over any personal demons and still coach Kobe in an effective and positive light. Kobe wanted Phil back and Phil thought that there was more to their relationship than just splitsville in 2004. Their relationship today, should show that the two men overcame adversity to have a mutual respect for one another. Its a great story and one that should be told and celebrated.

I'm not claiming to know Kobe, but history shows, the man gravitates towards those that challenge him. His relationship with Shaq and Phil have changed...due to the fact that he grew up and wised up. He's had some oncourt battles with guys like Metta, Barnes and Bell.....all of which he endorsed in playing with. Its the disrespectful individuals who challenge him (ie Smush) that he cuts off.

Those that challenge him to be better, are those that Kobe respects himself. So for now, Kobe ain't going to say anything....but when he gets his 7th, he's going to reach out to Phil on this MJ comparison and see if he has a different opinion now....it's no different than how he reached out to someone after he won his 5th.

Kobe loves challenges and Phil posed one.....the only "cancer" in this discussion are those that try to skew a genuine and mutual respect between the two men.

And speaking of which, lets get off the glum topic of cancer and give this thread a more jovial flavor:

Jeanie Buss: @PhilJackson11 Phil, in regards to Kobe vs. MJ - KOBE IS THE BEST. My humble opinion. @kobebryant #Lakers

Phil Jackson: Listen friends of bball; don’t get hung up on words. I was most fortunate to have the chance to coach two of the greatest gds. EVER MJ/Kobe.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sat May 18, 2013 7:11 am

^ Fantastic post Vash (as is often the case, and even if/when I don't agree).

I felt the same way about the excerpts. The theme is ultimately about overcoming adversity not only for MJ and Kobe but, for Phil himself as well.

People seem to overfocus on the negatives, but from what I've read so far, it seems like what Phil is communicating is here are the negatives we all had to overcome. And overcome we did. To the tune of 11 rings.
JGC

Postby Finwë on Sat May 18, 2013 3:46 pm

JGC wrote:
Finwë wrote:I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I do think that it was unnecessary (and not really classy or respectful) for Phil to go back there (especially Colorado), probably just to sell more books.. Kinda petty in some ways.

Well, I thought that him doing that was really more about HIS own problematic way of dealing with it. I don't recall him saying Kobe was a bad person or was guilty as charged or anything. But rather, opening up about how struggled to deal with it and how it affected him because of what happened with his daughter. It wasn't about Kobe, it was about Phil.

Anyone watch the Leno videos on YouTube (I missed the show). To me, I felt like Phil talked about Kobe admirably, even if he did seem to put Michael on a higher pedestal.

Nah.
PJ probably has lots of things he could share about himself, lots of personal stories or struggles.. He shared this one because it has the words "Kobe" and "Colorado" on them, and that sells more.
And that, IMO, is petty, all things considered.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Sat May 18, 2013 3:52 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
Proof that relationships can grow #tbt #mentor #cinco #mjkb #differentanimalsamebeast instagram.com/p/ZYcN1Rx

Vash, can you explain what #tbt means? I've seen that hashtag a bunch of times already and I have no idea what that is..

Great post btw.
Finwë

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Finwë wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:

Vash, can you explain what #tbt means? I've seen that hashtag a bunch of times already and I have no idea what that is..

Great post btw.

He said it under the first quote.... Truth Be Told. I wondered the same then I read it in Vash post
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks Puff
Finwë

Postby charvin on Sat May 18, 2013 4:54 pm

I've always thought it was throwback Thursday :man1: Guess I was wrong :man10:
charvin

Postby retro_nights on Sun May 19, 2013 2:53 pm

^ it was posted on thursday, so it was throwback thursday.

i have no problem with phil and what he said in his book. its his book.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion