Elgin Baylor Memorabilia / Championship Ring Auction

Elgin Baylor Memorabilia / Championship Ring Auction

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed May 29, 2013 6:37 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... morabilia/

Hall of Famer Elgin Baylor auctioning off memorabilia
Kurt Helin May 29, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
1 Comment

Getty Images
When you talk about the greatest NBA of the 1960s, Elgin Baylor is near the top of the list because he was starting to change the game. In the 1960s, when Bill Russell’s Celtics were dominating, Baylor was playing above the rim for the Lakers. He paved the way for Dr. J and the generations that followed. He is one of the game’s all-time greats.

And he is selling all his basketball memorabilia — 358 pieces in all. Everything has to go.

The people of Julien’s Live of Beverly Hills are doing the auction, everything from the championship ring of the 1971-72 Lakers (he only played 9 games that season) to an autographed shirt from his high school. There is his ring from the 1958 Final Four (he led Seattle University there), the 1959 All-Star game co-MVP trophy, and much, much more.

All of it goes on sale Friday starting at 10 a.m. Pacific (1 p.m. Eastern) at the link above.

If you’re thinking Baylor, who was the long-time GM of the Clippers after his playing days, is doing this for money, he told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times that is not the case. He just wants to get rid of the stuff.

“You’re thinking there’s something financial going on here, but it’s not true,” he said. “I have no financial problems at all. None of that. Seriously…

”I’ve had so much enjoyment with these things over the years. Now it’s time to let someone else enjoy them,” Baylor said.

He also said he is in good health, that’s not the reason either.

Whatever the motivation, it’s an amazing collection and even if you’re not shopping you need to just go flip through the items. It is a treasure trove of basketball history.
Basketball Fan

Re: Elgin Baylor to auction off memorabilia

Postby JGC on Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

He's just doing that to spite Kobe!
JGC

Re: Elgin Baylor to auction off memorabilia

Postby OX1947 on Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Terry Bradshaw donated all his memorabilia to his Alma Mater at Louisiana Tech. I always liked that set up better then auctioning off too a bunch of leeches and slaps.
OX1947

Elgin Baylor, Championship Ring, Auction.

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu May 30, 2013 9:53 am

If you thought Elgin didn't have a ring, think again. The 1972 team gifted him one. Pretty good article about him.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9302161/elgin-baylor-nba-championship-ring-auction
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Re: Elgin Baylor, Championship Ring, Auction.

Postby gcclaker on Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 am

Good article Slim. Thanks for providing the link. Baylor preceded Erving and Jordan when it came to aerial highlights.

I still think of the story of Frank Selvy...and what Rod "Hot Rod" Hundley does to him.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 am

gcclaker wrote:Good article Slim. Thanks for providing the link. Baylor preceded Erving and Jordan when it came to aerial highlights.

I still think of the story of Frank Selvy...and what Rod "Hot Rod" Hundley does to him.

hahahahaha, Hot Rod telling that story kills me everytime. I can not stop laughing when I see it. Hilarious.
OX1947

Postby TIME on Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Merged Elgin auction topics.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Discussion