Q: How his role in D'Antoni's staff changed:
- Under Phil Jackson first, and then Mike Brown, my primary role was defense. But when Mike D'Antoni took over, he wanted to implement his offense, which was his perogative to make the team better going forward. So there wasn't anything I could do with it, and I just had to fit in with whatever role was given to me.
Q: How his release came about:
- I got a call from Mike (D'Antoni) telling me he would me more comfortable bringing in his own coaching staff, which I understood, but I was a little surprised.
Story last season when Andrew Bynum shot a 3-pt and got benched, Kobe Bryant, as the Team Captain, didn't hold Bynum accountable and actually catered to Bynum's action. So Chuck Person got into Kobe's face in the locker room for not being accountable.
Q: What did he say to Kobe about being more accountable regarding that Bynum 3-pt:
- What makes a good assistant is loyalty. What was said, whatever goes in house stays in house.
Q: Why Mike D'Antoni's system didn't worked:
- D'Antoni said on his own accord "3-Pointer takes priority over a Post-up". He said that himself to the team. But eventually the ball has to go inside some, so then of course he made the adjustments, although it was a little late for everyone's liking. But he did it, and we benefited from it going 28-12. Does his system fit everyone? That's to be determined. If a guy doesn't like to play in his system then they'll leave, if they like it, they'll stay.
Q: D'Antoni's relationship with Dwight:
- Dwight Howard's relationship with Mike D'Antoni is... serviceable. When you have 4 superstars like we have last year, not everyone would be happy. You have Kobe who is always strong headed, etc. You have 4 dynamic guys that have been elites and you have a coach that comes in who wants to play with a system that doesn't fit with all the guys. So everyone's to blame, everyone has to comeback and sacrifice to achieve more.
Q: Describe Dwight as a player, and as a person:
- I have a good relationship with Dwight. Whoever gets Dwight will have a special special player in their hands. The guy came back 3 months early because he wanted to show Lakers fans he wanted to play for the Lakers. Once he got into shape we were a Top 5 defensive team in the league. When he's out of the game we are just ranked #26 in defensive efficiency, that's a big discrepancy. Whoever gets this guy, that team will be a championship team every year.
Q: Where do you guess Dwight will sign:
- Dwight loves LA. He loves the city. He knows being here is the creme of the crop. But I know this, he doesn't want to be in a place always fighting just to get into the next round. He's going to go to a team that has the best talent around, and he's going to weigh his options on which team gives him the best chance of winning. This is Dwight's first time in free agency, this is the biggest time in his life. He has the right to be selfish and do what's best for himself, what's best for his family.
3 takes precedent over a post up, making the lead defensive assistant an offensive assistant to ssol which he never played in or ran before when we needed a defensive scheme, etc ... WTF Pringles