Evan Turner Was Close To Being A Laker

Evan Turner Was Close To Being A Laker

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Posted by: Ryan Ward Posted date: February 21, 2014

Trade rumors were swirling in Los Angeles for the past few months with Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill, Steve Blake and Chris Kaman all rumored to be on the move before the NBA trade deadline. Although it seemed as though most of these four players would be dealt before the deadline, only Blake was sent packing with the Lakers agreeing to a deal with the Golden State Warriors.

– Lakers Nation Store Is Back! Check Out The Latest Gear —

Apparently, Kaman might have been the closest to being traded on Thursday with the veteran center coming incredibly close to be dealt to the Philadelphia 76ers. Evan Turner would’ve been on his way to Los Angeles had the two sides agreed to a deal according to Jake Pavorsky of Liberty Ballers:

Sources confirm to Liberty Ballers that the Sixers and the Los Angeles Lakers were in discussions for the former 2nd overall pick, and were looking for a third team to help facilitate the deal. The Lakers would have acquired Turner and multiple second round picks. Philadelphia would have received Chris Kaman, an expiring contract.

There’s no question that GM Mitch Kupchak and company were trying to make moves on Thursday with numerous trade discussions with multiple teams. The Lakers reportedly were involved in trade talks with the Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats, New Orleans Pelicans and 76ers before ultimately standing pat.

The consensus after the trade deadline past was that the Lakers dropped the ball and were arguably among the most disappointing teams in terms of failing to make deals. Los Angeles may have gotten two potentially promising young players in MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore, but failed to bring in Turner and drafts picks that could’ve helped the rebuilding process.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumo ... 014/02/21/
Kobe8Fan

Re: Evan Turner Was Close To Being A Laker

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:38 pm

sounds like a bunch of BS to me, Philly ended GETTING 2nd pick for Turner....this article suggest we could've gotten Turner AND Picks for Kaman, no way in hell that happens and obviously that required 3rd team probably wasn't all that interested if deal didn't happen.
khmrP

Postby John3:16 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm

the last paragraph says it all.

:bang: :bang: :bang:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 pm

And I will be taking the first flight out of Ohio to LA to Stone Cold Stun all the morons in the FO. Dropped the ball is an understatement.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:45 pm

John3:16 wrote:the last paragraph says it all.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

The last paragraph MAY be true, but Ryan Ward writes for LakersNation and his so-called "consensus" are the majority of posters on that site. Not exactly professional level journalism.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Wait they were close to getting Turner for just Kaman? Just that discussion is kind of amazing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:54 pm

The only report that I read that the Lakers-76ers had any type of discussion was a Ramona Shelburne tweet:

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne Feb 20
Philadelphia making a late run at getting over league minimum salary, hence interest in Kaman. Stay tuned

No specifics were give on any deal that involved Turner that I read from Woj, Berger, Ramona, Deveney, or Stein; basically, anybody reliable. I don't think discussions got that far as the above article states, IMO
lukewaltonsdad

Postby angrypuppy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Close? That sounds like an exaggeration. The talks sounded exploratory, and were probably going to end on an impasse since the Lakers wanted additional compensation from a third party.
angrypuppy

Postby Helljumper on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:59 pm

So the front office dropped the ball by almost bamboozling Philly ("reportedly"), before they wised up and took a deal that was clearly better for them?
Helljumper

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 pm

angrypuppy wrote:Close? That sounds like an exaggeration. The talks sounded exploratory, and were probably going to end on an impasse since the Lakers wanted additional compensation from a third party.

Agreed.

this article looks more like an assumption from Ramona's tweet and the deal that Philadelphia ended up taking.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Lets break this down....

We were communicating with Philly...check.
They needed to add salary to meet the cap minimum mandate...check
They weren't interested in the incoming players for the immediate future (ie waiving Clark and possibly Granger)...check
They essentially wanted to dump Turner/Allen for an expiring deal and a 1st round pick, but instead relented for a future 2nd round pick (which the Lakers had both of expiring deals and our 2016 2nd rounder)....check

Pau has a 15% trade kicker, so we would have to expand the deal to involve Turner/Allen/Clark/and a minimum....but the deal could have been consummated. Buy out for Clark and now what appears to be Granger, means Philly is willing to spend money. People may argue that a buyout for Pau would be too expensive.

Alright, we had Hill/Kaman that came out to about 6.7M. That package gets us Evan Turner. Instead of the egregious buyout that they are looking at with Granger, buying out those two would be substantially cheaper.

Lets say they also wanted to dump Allen's contract. Well, with the incoming Bazemore and Brooks, you can either repackage Brooks or both to get a package that brings back Turner/Allen.

Bottomline is that Philly would be trading out of their own conference and would be spending less in buyouts with a Laker package. They got an expiring Granger and a future 2nd round pick instead....which incidentally, the Lakers had at their arsenal too.

There are no excuses....the FO blew it in securing potential assets, but claim there weren't basketball operated transactions available.

FO feeding us BS....check.
And that Mitch, is unacceptable!

#PostDocLakers
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby angrypuppy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:43 pm

True, the Lakers could have included their own second rounder, but then they did not. I guess the front office should come to terms that under the latest CBA, even second rounders have more value than under the past CBA. That's why other teams didn't champ at the bit to grab our throwaways for first or second round picks.

I'm glad they didn't get Turner. I like, but do not love him as a player. I'd rather just finish the season with our current miserable roster and hope we're bad enough to finish in the bottom three. That pick is far more likely to dictate the future of the franchise than Mr. Turner.
angrypuppy

Postby TIME on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:49 pm

angrypuppy wrote:I'm glad they didn't get Turner. I like, but do not love him as a player. I'd rather just finish the season with our current miserable roster and hope we're bad enough to finish in the bottom three. That pick is far more likely to dictate the future of the franchise than Mr. Turner.

It's just a gauge of the current level of Laker fandom desperation. Evan Turner was the second best player on a team that is so dismal that they are tanking harder than us. Not exactly a team transformer.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:50 pm

What would getting Turner even accomplish? Kaman, Hill, and a second rounder for Turner wouldn't help us. We don't cut any salary. We lose an asset in our second rounder. We get a good player who adds wins this year. And then he expires at the end of the offseason. The only argument for that trade would be if you think Turner could be a future building block for us and so you want the right to match his offers as an RFA. Personally I don't think Turner is worth investing our cap space in.
Helljumper

Postby OX1947 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Turner going to Indy will tip the advantage for Indiana towards them in a home court 7 game series. Unless Wade is playing like Wade of course.
OX1947

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Helljumper wrote:What would getting Turner even accomplish? Kaman, Hill, and a second rounder for Turner wouldn't help us. We don't cut any salary. We lose an asset in our second rounder. We get a good player who adds wins this year. And then he expires at the end of the offseason. The only argument for that trade would be if you think Turner could be a future building block for us and so you want the right to match his offers as an RFA. Personally I don't think Turner is worth investing our cap space in.

This. And we can still sign him this summer. Glad CL is not the Lakers FO.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
Helljumper wrote:What would getting Turner even accomplish? Kaman, Hill, and a second rounder for Turner wouldn't help us. We don't cut any salary. We lose an asset in our second rounder. We get a good player who adds wins this year. And then he expires at the end of the offseason. The only argument for that trade would be if you think Turner could be a future building block for us and so you want the right to match his offers as an RFA. Personally I don't think Turner is worth investing our cap space in.

This. And we can still sign him this summer. Glad CL is not the Lakers FO.

Sign him this summer? We have 20 million dollars in Pau Gasol Bird Right's standing in the way of that.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Helljumper wrote:So the front office dropped the ball by almost bamboozling Philly ("reportedly"), before they wised up and took a deal that was clearly better for them?

Clearly better as in they got Granger? The guy they are going to buy out?
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Eh, one I'm not sure I buy this story, and two I really don't care much about missing out on Turner if it's true, just my opinion. I think he's a good pickup for the Pacers, but that's because they're already good and he's a luxury for them if he does well. He's good, but he's not that good, his shooting percentages aren't great (43% overall), especially from 3 (29%), and he couldn't even put up big numbers on a crap team. Maybe he's a good defender and I just haven't heard about it and that makes him valuable, but still, meh.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Helljumper wrote:So the front office dropped the ball by almost bamboozling Philly ("reportedly"), before they wised up and took a deal that was clearly better for them?

Clearly better as in they got Granger? The guy they are going to buy out?

As in they got a second rounder instead of potentially giving up one like the article in the OP implied.
Helljumper

Postby angrypuppy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:27 pm

and don't forget... too ball dominant given his capabilities. It's OK to extent to be ball dominant if you're efficient (FG percentages, assists, A/TO) and effective (create, shot clock/game clock scores). But he isn't.

I concur, that is where I was going with my earlier post. Turner is just good enough to help us generate a win here or there against weaker competition since he'll be paired with Pau. Given the need for a near bottom finish in this draft, those additional wins could kill the quality of our pick.
Last edited by angrypuppy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angrypuppy

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:30 pm

It's not about getting Turner because he's some kind of great player and a steal. It's about showing that we aren't content with keep the same s*** as this season. From not trading Pau, to saying they rather have his Bird Rights for a S&T and finally that they would consider resigning him? I'll take Turner for 28 games if it means not having to deal with Pau and holding his bags why he chooses another team and we sit on our a** waiting for some mythical 2016 plan.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:35 pm

I guess we value our 2nd round picks super highly over getting a player like Turner if the report is true then, Doc. I'm gonna choose to believe it's probably not very accurate because that doesn't sound like us at all, we give away picks as fan promotion night gifts.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:38 pm

The team keeps preaching to high heaven about gaining assets. Please tell me how getting two restricted free agents, which by the way could help us immensely with S&T possibilities this summer, hurts us in any way.

Instead you have Pau, Hill and Kaman all with the ability to walk to their preferred destinations. Pau's a nice guy and may facilitate a S&T, but that is entirely up to him. He can choose to walk and we won't have any assets to show for it.

I'm not understanding the public defense of the FO...they're clearly contradicting themselves on everything they have publicly said.

Due diligence: MDA
Cap flexibility: premature Kobe extension
Gaining assets: passing on utilizing expiring deals at the deadline to get them
Wanting to win now: see aforementioned due diligence and Mitch recently quoted saying it can take "6 to 12 to 18 months...but we got a plan"
Wanting to create room to assess our backcourt: deal 1 backcourt player for 2

Fans standing up for the FO's ineptitude and contradictions: :man3:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Fans using every opportunity to bash the FO (including the word of the Pulitzer prize winning and super legit NBA source Jake Pavorsky of Liberty Ballers), despite not having a clue about what actually happened in trade discussions: :man3:
Helljumper

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion