Extremely Negative Gary Payton to Lakers Article

Extremely Negative Gary Payton to Lakers Article

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:23 pm

Source - http://www.msnbc.com/news/891477.asp?0dm=C1AUS

Sometimes I get irritated by athletes who won't offer comment. Then again, I often get annoyed by guys who do.

Case in point: Gary Payton. He really should not comment. On anything. Ever.

In one breath, he says: "I need a championship." Then in another: "If a team fits me, that I'm going to have a championship, then I'm going to work with it. But other than that, Milwaukee's still the first option." Later, he added: "I'm at my peak. I'm 34 years old, still playing, still putting up numbers. I don't think I can settle for less."

Allow me to translate: Gary wants everyone to believe he has the heart of a champion and wants a ring desperately, but what he really wants is to be paid top dollar, and that means staying in Milwaukee, which probably won't win a title in Gary's lifetime. Gary, even at his relatively advanced NBA age, is still like a lot of the younger guys who come into the NBA in that he equates money with respect. Gary wants a championship, as long as there's no sacrifice involved.

Actually, maybe Gary is doing teams a favor. If you're a contender looking for that talented veteran presence to put your club over the top, forget Gary, because Gary has been, and always will be, all about Gary.

He makes since to me. Do we really want Payton on the Lakers?
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:23 pm

All I have to say is, what an idiot...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby SterlingBlueSatinGlow on Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:33 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:All I have to say is, what an idiot...

Gary or the the Guy who wrote this article? I don't think GP is like this at all. Yeah the money is good but I think that GP will really give the Lakers a consideration.
SterlingBlueSatinGlow

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:45 pm

I knew it... it was never about the RINGS for Payton... it was all about how much money he could get. I don't blame him at all. Its really up to him if he wants a ring or not. He can always retire wealthy without a ring much like many of the NBA athletes today.... and MALONE is not far behind. How much is a NBA Title Ring worth?... $250 thousand?... well if Payton gets his wish and go for the big bucks.. he can get about 100 of those puppies... but it won't mean the same.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:22 am

How can GP sound so hypocritical... He obviously knows that the Bucks won't give him a championship, so why waste his breath sayin that they are?? It just doesn't make sence... But then again, I can understand that he doesnt wanna give in to the rumors too...
LakersGyrl2003

2 players

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:15 am

How many players have signed contracts in history ? Thousands upon thousands. Guess what? Rick Fox and the Hawk (Chi Cubs) signed for less to be with team that wanted to be with. That's it. 2 players!

Gary Payton, Arenas, Howard, PJ Brown, Malone, etc, etc, etc will take as much as they can get and not a penny less. Lakers or not. RIng or not. Trust me on this one!

When the market crashes and they have nowhere else to turn, they'll say "I came here for the ring." Don't fall for it.

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:40 pm

That's a good point... They want their cake, and they wanna eat it too... But it don't work that way here in LA... They gotta bend a lil'...
LakersGyrl2003

Return to Lakers Discussion