Favorite Laker Regular Season Game of all time?

Re: Favorite Laker Regular Season Game of all time?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:37 pm

A lot of the one's mentioned are Kobe games of excellence only. My favorite regular season games that came to mind are two in the Kobe era.....

Portland last game of the season when we made the comeback in 2000 followed (as John pointed out) the game 7 15 point down comeback in the WCF's. It was also the game where Kobe hit two amazing 3 pointers the last one (I believe) falling out of bounds in the corner over two defenders.

The 27 point 2nd half comeback against the Mavs. If memory serves me right we were still down 20 with 6 minutes to go or something crazy like that.

Honorable mention of greatness- Kobes 81. What people always fail to mention is that the Lakers were losing that game by a nice margin before Kobe abused Toronto. That 81 was very much needed.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Vino's 81 point game for Laker historical reference. O'Neal's career high game against The Tenants.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Impossible to pick one, but I will mention one I didn't see mentioned. Halloween night, 2006/2007 seasons, Lakers vs Suns. No Kobe, and it was our first game against the Suns since they came back and beat us down 3-1. We were down big and we came back, Bynum was awesome, Odom was awesome, it was such a fun game. There used to be an awesome video of it on YouTube set to MJ's Thriller, but I can no longer find it, I think it was a cachooka video, I would love to see it again.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 pm

81 and that Dallas game come to mind. When Kobe had 63 in 3 quarters.

But Christmas Day in 2008 comes to mind also. We came back to beat Boston after losing to them in the Finals that summer.
Chillbongo

Postby Daloyalfan18 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah the 2006 game was not the rainbow but a Kobe game winner, great all the same. :man12:
Daloyalfan18

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Juronimo wrote:The one that comes to mind was Christmas day game in 2008. That's the game when both we and the evil empire had winning streaks, but we took it to them in that game. The play I remember was Pau blocking Ray Allen's 3 and then Trevor Ariza taking it down the other end with the exclamation point reverse dunk. That game was the game that really set the tone for a championship season.

That game was huge because it was a Christmas day win and we usually suck in those games
It was over the evil empire
It gave the team a championship swagger. They were hungry and played like a team.

Another favorite was that same season, Cleveland on the road. Lamar went nuts in the 3rd quarter and we put them away on the road. If i recall Cleveland lost only 2 games at home that year. That was the exclamation point win on a road trip that we went 6-0, including road wins against those guys and Cleveland.

Loved the road game vs Boston that year game.....overtime game, lots of intensity obviously, and me and a buddy wound up watching it in a bar in Miami that was filled with Boston fans for whatever reason. We had a blast though. Gasol also blocked Ray Allen's potential game winner in this game.

Its always great beating them. I still smile when I think of how Kobe lead the charge again in Boston to ruin Allen's record setting night (3pt shots made).
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Juronimo wrote:The one that comes to mind was Christmas day game in 2008. That's the game when both we and the evil empire had winning streaks, but we took it to them in that game. The play I remember was Pau blocking Ray Allen's 3 and then Trevor Ariza taking it down the other end with the exclamation point reverse dunk. That game was the game that really set the tone for a championship season.

That game was huge because it was a Christmas day win and we usually suck in those games
It gave the team a championship swagger. They were hungry and played like a team.

this was the most recent one that first popped up in my head. there were so many good ones though.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Coach Chris on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:Retrospectively? I think it was Magic's first rookie game where Kareem hit a shot at the buzzer for the win and Magic went nuts. :man10:

That was the first one that came to mind, ushering in the Jerry Buss era in LA.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby jbiggs on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:37 pm

the portland 2 crazy shots and the 81 for sure.
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Juronimo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Another favorite was a game I got to see in person at the fabulous forum.

It was Jordan's last game at the forum, in 1998. If I recall, I don't think Shaq played. We not only won, we ran them off the court, winning by 20. That game was an absolute blast and to be there in person to see it, sweet. I bought the tickets from a coworker for $100, best $100 I ever spent.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby shoe on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Kobe scoring 55 on Jordan.

Last years OKC game at home where we discovered Jordan Hill.

Triple OT game vs. the suns couple years ago.

2008 Christmas vs. the Cs

2009 grammy road trip in boston.

2010 game in boston where Kobe hits the game winner.
shoe

Postby Jellincon on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:

Another favorite was that same season, Cleveland on the road. Lamar went nuts in the 3rd quarter and we put them away on the road. If i recall Cleveland lost only 2 games at home that year. That was the exclamation point win on a road trip that we went 6-0, including road wins against those guys and Cleveland.

Loved the road game vs Boston that year game.....overtime game, lots of intensity obviously, and me and a buddy wound up watching it in a bar in Miami that was filled with Boston fans for whatever reason. We had a blast though. Gasol also blocked Ray Allen's potential game winner in this game.

Its always great beating them. I still smile when I think of how Kobe lead the charge again in Boston to ruin Allen's record setting night (3pt shots made).

Yeah man that was such a great game. I also found it funny how BOS tried to punk us and get under our skin but we weren't having any of it. Toughed it out and got the last laugh in the end.

Jellincon

Postby Juronimo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:15 pm

I loved that team. That talent level was really insane on the '08-'09 team.

I forgot about the Ariza save to Sasha in that game. They were hungry and were determined to flatten those guys.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby purp n gold on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:36 pm

My personal favorites:

-Season opener in 2007-08 - After getting owned by the Suns for two years, we crush them in a blowout. Phil then tells MDA to STFU
-Xmas game 07-08, a win over the Celtics
- vs. Heat in 2009-10, Kobe hits a GW over Wade
:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby kenzo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Daloyalfan18 wrote:Yeah the 2006 game was not the rainbow but a Kobe game winner, great all the same. :man12:

Love the way Bron got "invisible" in the money time :man12: He was doing everything to NOT get the ball.
kenzo

Postby denimPortugal on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Juronimo wrote:I loved that team. That talent level was really insane on the '08-'09 team.

I forgot about the Ariza save to Sasha in that game. They were hungry and were determined to flatten those guys.

Jeeez! :bow: :man6:
denimPortugal

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Juronimo wrote:I loved that team. That talent level was really insane on the '08-'09 team.

Luke Walton... Hated for his contract but when he was healthy, he really facilitated out there from anywhere out on the floor.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby bleed purple n gold on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:27 pm

81 and 62

…You take a player getting over 10mill a year and I will make him look like he deserves 2 mill. -Ron Artest
bleed purple n gold

Postby 432J on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:47 pm

christmas day '08 vs boston

kobe's 61 at MSG in '09

the 08-09 team victories over cleveland

kobe's streak of game winners in 09-10

shaq's monster game against the clippers in 2000

pau's first game with the lakers
432J

Postby calidoc75 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:00 pm

love all the games you guys mentioned

but how about kobe's 2 incredible shots against phoenix, game 4 of the playoffs to give us a 3-1 lead? i'll never forget that game, i was going nuts. let's not talk about the 3 games that followed...ugh
calidoc75

Postby gradymac on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 pm

is there a good quality video of kobes clutch shots vs portland? ive looked everywhere.
gradymac

Postby Alcindor on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm

the 30 or so point comeback vs Dallas during the Shaq/Kobe days was historic. Cuban's face has never quite looked the same after, I believe he had a mild stroke.

The thing I remember about that was the team scored 11 points in a couple of seconds in 4th at one point, it was sick.
Alcindor

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:21 pm

so good.

we were the top in the west, our hated rivals boston top in the east. revenge for our previous humiliation in the finals. all on xmas day...what's not to love.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:21 pm

calidoc75 wrote: kobe's 2 incredible shots against phoenix, game 4 of the playoffs to give us a 3-1 lead? i'll never forget that game, i was going nuts.

Of course, that tops my list of favorite GAMES, but it wasn't a regular season game
Chillbongo

Postby odom1year on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:01 pm

For Lakers fans: LA coming back from 28 pts vs Dallas in 4th qtr in 03.
For Kobe fans: 81, 64, 62 in 3 qtr, 55 in half against MJ
odom1year

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion