First Trade Rumor of the Off-Season: Pau for lotto pick

Re: First Trade Rumor of the Off-Season: Pau for lotto pick

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Cleveland - CJ Miles / Speights / Their 2nd 1st rounder

Washington - Ariza / Seraphin / # 3

Charlotte - Sessions / Gordon / # 4

Phoenix - Beasley / Dudley / # 5
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JGC on Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Sounds like a great way for those teams to dump their lottery picks.
JGC

Postby lakersin4 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Would take the Washington & Phoenix deals in a second.
lakersin4

Postby abeer3 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:53 am

Doc Brown wrote:Cleveland - CJ Miles / Speights / Their 2nd 1st rounder

Washington - Ariza / Seraphin / # 3

Charlotte - Sessions / Gordon / # 4

Phoenix - Beasley / Dudley / # 5

i think only the cleveland deal makes sense; maybe the phx deal (though i think they'd rather keep dudley and move frye).

for charlotte: both of those guys expire, so they don't gain anything in terms of flexibility. they'd have to really love pau to do that.

washington: again, ariza expires, and seraphin is a guy they like. also, they have nene, who basically plays the same position as pau. i don't think it makes any sense for them at all. now, if the lakers were willing to eat nene's deal, i think nene/3 for pau might work.

i still think a deal with sac makes some sense:

salmons and one of thornton/hayes, plus the #7 pick for gasol. the lakers save a few bucks this year, salmons is non-guaranteed next year, and there should be a useful player still on the board at 7. the kings win big on talent and shed some salary if pau doesn't work out.

anything with charlotte would probably require eating tyrus thomas's contract, and i'm not even positive that does it.
abeer3

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 22, 2013 9:40 am

This changes some things.

When seven lotto picks can be dealt

We could see a plethora of trades in the first 14 selections of the 2013 NBA draft due to a lack of top talent in the lottery. With that said, half the teams can't do anything until after they officially make the picks.

According to league rules teams are prohibited from not having first round selections in two consecutive drafts and looking at 2014, several teams have first round picks that are encumbered. The following teams owe a conditional 2014 first round to another team and therefore can't deal their 2013 lottery pick prior to the draft unless they get another 2013 or 2014 selection back in a trade.

2014 Draft
Bobcats to Bulls (protected 1-10)
Mavs to Thunder via Rockets and Lakers (protected 1-20)
Pistons to Bobcats (protected 1-8)
Wolves to Suns (protected 1-13)
Sixers to Heat (protected 1-14)
Blazers to Bobcats (protected 1-12)
Kings to Cavs (protected 1-12)

Looks like if Pau is traded to one of these teams, it will go down on draft night.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 am

We haven't had a first round draft pick in like three years right?
XXIV

Postby thisbjgz on Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 am

IMO, Trey Burke and Victor Oladipo are the best two way players in the draft, and most suited for the Lakers needs. I project Burke going anywhere from 3-8, while Oladipo I think will go to #5 (which is PHX) I don't buy the hype for Mclemmore. I don't think Noels fits our needs either since we have Dwight. I wouldn't mind Otto Porter as a wing but i think he's going top 3. No way Washington is trading their #3 pick.
thisbjgz

Postby OX1947 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am

NBA really needs to implement a 2 year out of high school rule or something. Talent in the NBA is getting worse and worse as the years go on.
OX1947

Postby Chillbongo on Wed May 22, 2013 12:53 pm

XXIV wrote:We haven't had a first round draft pick in like three years right?

Actually, I feel like Crittenton was our last 1st round pick. That we actually kept.

Even after that, I think the last one we had was traded for a second round pick that ended up being Gl0ck. It was a cost-saving move at the time...we had just won a ring.
Chillbongo

Postby purp n gold on Fri May 24, 2013 12:36 am

Trade Pau & amnesty Artest

PG - Nash
SG - Shabazz Muhammad
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Varajao
C - Dwight

& Kobe back in Feb

:pipe:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Pig Miller on Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 am

^haha. i love how varajeo appeared out of nowhere. i also hope mitch pulls the trigger on that ebanks/morris for paul george trade that's been on the table
Pig Miller

Postby lakersin4 on Sun May 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Hoopshype reporting that Pierce will be bought out.. I know this isn't the first we heard of this but I'm hoping Pierce & KG realize they can win with Kobe & Dwight before they would with Flop City. Pierce signs after buyout, Pau, Duhon, Hill for KG, Bradley, Bass, Terry or Lee.
lakersin4

Postby Weezy on Sun May 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Pierce is considered among the greatest Celtics of all time (he has the numbers to back it up and a title), I can't see him finishing as a Laker even if he is from LA. Also, I don't want him, he's old and breaking down and I don't like his face. If he gets bought out I can see him going to Miami and ring chasing with Ray Allen.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun May 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Well, while I do agree with you there, Shaq played for the Celtics and he's one of the greatest Lakers ever. So, I could see PP playing for us, but I don't really want him. Not because I hate the guy, I do respect him as a player, but we don't need him. He old and slow, and can't play D anymore.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun May 26, 2013 4:03 pm

That's mainly why I don't want him as well, I was just trying to be funny mostly (though there are some players I wouldn't want because I can't stand them). Pierce is a big game player, and he's shown to be clutch and tough (as in plays through contact, does not mind physical play at all and even flourishes against it), he's just too old and becoming inconsistent because of it, we need to get younger.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sun May 26, 2013 6:31 pm

^There just ins't much in this draft to make it worth chopping pau for a #3. If this were 2014 draft, I make that deal with Washington for the #3 immediately. I would love to get my hands on Andrew Harrison; 6-6 point guards that pass first and have great court vision, don't come around very often.
LAKEROC

Postby The Laker Link on Sun May 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Would the Pelicans not want to deal theirs? I still say try and get Robin Lopez, Eric Gordon (since they don't want his contract), and the 7th pick or whatever. Gordon as Dwight will be nice and Gordon can fill in for Kobe if needed. It might mess up the 2014 plan a hair.
The Laker Link

Postby lakersin4 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:09 am

Weezy wrote:That's mainly why I don't want him as well, I was just trying to be funny mostly (though there are some players I wouldn't want because I can't stand them). Pierce is a big game player, and he's shown to be clutch and tough (as in plays through contact, does not mind physical play at all and even flourishes against it), he's just too old and becoming inconsistent because of it, we need to get younger.

We do need to get younger & we accomplish that by getting Bradley & Bass in the deal. KG isn't any more of a liability than Pau at this point & is a much better fit with his defensive prowess. PP is old & declining but still a huge upgrade from MWP. Neither guy is the defender they once were but PP can still take over games for stretches & hit clutch shots. Hopefully we could also land a young wing FA that can limit Pierce's minutes. Corey Brewer would be my #1 target with the mini mle. If they amnesty Ron, we can sign Pierce & Brewer & still be saving money.

Nash/Bradley/Blake
24/Bradley
PP/Brewer/Clark/24
KG/Clark/Bass
D12/KG

That's a great rotation.. Bradley, Brewer, Clark, Bass all fit the youth/defense movement we need & can limit the old timers minutes. Injuries will happen but I think we'd have a good enough bench for someone to step right in & not cost us games.
lakersin4

Postby LAKEROC on Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 am

Gordon, while a nice player, has an albatros of a contract. He would totally screw our cap up, and then you have Kobe to deal with next summer, and Dwight(god willing) locked as well. There would be no money for any superstar level talent. No thank you. I am very happy playing the waiting game, as long as we can get the Kobster to call it a day after next year(nobody will ever get a chance to step up with him there, and he will demand 10M min+ a year), get Dwight to resign, hire Phil Jackson for a front office position. The stupid thing is, this probably could have all been smoothed over if Phil were hired as coach.
LAKEROC

Postby lakersin4 on Mon May 27, 2013 12:19 pm

I don't think Gordon is that main star you need next to Dwight.. It's kind of like Pau.. I'd like to have him on our, but not at that price. 10 a year or less, ok I'm in. Can't see a team winning it all with Dwight as 1a or 1b. If we're going to commit EG money to someone, it has to be a surefire star like Lebron, Durant, Kyrie etc. Obviously we can't acquire that level of player for Pau again, so I think waiting on our cap space next summer is the way to go. If we can get players that fit with 24 & Dwight & give us a better shot in the meantime, I'm all for that, but we can't commit that type of money on someone like EG.
lakersin4

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 am

Yeah, no thanks to Gordon with or without Dwight. Especially without.
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Tue May 28, 2013 11:13 am

Pau/Duhon or Blake
for
Gee/Varajao/19th pick/31st pick

get TPE in addition to some picks, we eat into our cap a bit in Varajao but he's a solid player when healthy which seems to be never in his case. This frees up more cap room for Clev in 2014 as well as giving them a big that can help them not only compete for playoffs but someone who can mentor Noel if they pick him as well as that other PF they have in Thompson.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm

I like Simmons idea of amnestying Metta, then trading Pau for Varajao and the 31st and 33d picks "cheap labor" as he referred to it (19th and 31st as khmrp suggested is better, but it's Pau, can only expect so much). He says that would allow us to keep Kobe and Dwight and save like 55 mil in luxury tax.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue May 28, 2013 1:10 pm

^^^yea I know its just "Pau" but Pau is still better than majority of the starting C's in the east right now and on top of that Clev would also be dumping Varajao salary sooner in preparation for 2014, feel that those 2 aspect should at least get us back our pick. I feel like we can bite the bullet on Varjao contract because of the potential TPE we could get out of this deal, that could net us a very solid #2 or #3 for the future and maybe even additional assest from a team looking to just dump salary.

edit-Varajao 2014 contract is team option so yea give me 31st and 33rd, I'd be ok with that :man10:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 28, 2013 1:27 pm

^ It's not a "team option" it's just not fully guaranteed (partially guaranteed for 4 million).

That trade ruins our chances of getting a max player though in 2014. No dice unless Howard bolts.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion