Fisher can take a hike.

Postby Couchdonkey on Wed May 28, 2003 6:51 am

Look, I don't mean to crack on our boy D-Fish. I love the guy. But, seeing him be reduced to only shooting 3's on offense hurts. Even worse than that is watching him flop on defense. Noone in the Purple and Gold should ever have to result to Sacramento Queens tactics. From time to time D-Flop......I mean D-Fish actually reminds me of Vlade out there.

Fisher was a key component of the 3-peat. But now, it's time to pass the torch. You have to ask yourself "is it more important to have a 3rd scoring option who's shot shows up every other game, or is it more important to have an answer for the Bibby's, Nash's, Parker's, ..er..uh..Hudson's, etc. out there? Let's be realistic, paying anyone 6M to come off the bench to play back-up PG is insane. It's OK to like D-Fish and all he's helped the Lakes accomplish. BUt, for the good of the team just let him go.
Couchdonkey

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed May 28, 2003 11:31 am

Fish draws the charges and gets hammered to the hardwood for doin so.. Vlade flops, and lands soft on it, like a pillow. There's a difference in how they both take the charge, cuz Fish actually takes the foul. Fish has a role on this team, and his role isn't to STOP a PG, but to contain them. Even though they'll score from time to time, or pass by him, that doesn't mean Fish is a bad defender. He's made up for it on the offensive end, by knockin down shots, and dishin it out to open men. Can we still have Fish as a consistant scorer, and not as the 3rd consistant scorer? Which he's been all his career. We can prolly find that in someone else we'll pick up. Don't get rid of Fish yet...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby MIKEDOG on Wed May 28, 2003 11:56 am

I am sorry but Fish does not have the skills to be a starter. He is best suited to come off the bench and in years past that is exactly how he was utilized. He hustle and determination is not in question. But his inablility to create his own shots and drive and kick has made Kobe have to fill in that void. Which in turn does not allow Kobe to focus in on his role, not to mention bringing the ball up the floor on 75% of the posessions can wear him down. I am not saying trade him because I do believe that he is a good role player and can add some points off the bench, but as a starter he is a defensive liability.
MIKEDOG

Postby Couchdonkey on Wed May 28, 2003 12:00 pm

Gets hammered to the hardwood? Your boy flops worse than Waterworld or New Coke. He definitely has a role on the team, it's just too bad that his role is to play mediocre defense, arc up 3's, and occasionally throw the ball into Shaq. Who couldn't do that? As far as him making up for it by scoring and making good passes, both areas need an insane amount of improvement. He doesn't score nearly enough to make up for his inadequate defense and he ranked near the bottom for PGs in assists per game. So, I'm not real sure how that makes up for anything. I know that most people like D-Fish, the person. I'm one of those people. Fisher is a great guy on and off the court. But, unfortunatey being a nice guy doesn't win ball games. For him to come off the bench for 5 mill a year is crazy. Our best option is to move him.......
Couchdonkey

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed May 28, 2003 2:08 pm

Actually, D-Fish's current contract is 7 years (he has completed 4 of those 7 as he signed in '99) for 21 million. He makes 3 mil a year and dumping him would only mean we would STILL be over the cap, meaning we still only have the MLE, LLE and VME (along with as many minimum contracts as you can shake a stick at) to recruit a replacement and since we need a power forward this season and a young center (to prepare for Shaq's retirement) next year (or a SF to replace Foxie) we would have to sign a minimum point guard like Tyronn Lue or Speedy Claxton and D-Fish is BETTER all around (and especially from the outside and within the triangle offense) than anyone we get for the minimum. I say we keep him and use him as a bencher getting 18 minutes off the bench. Then he is a weapon again and not a liability...
Snakell Beast

Postby Couchdonkey on Wed May 28, 2003 2:52 pm

Thank you for the thorough education Snakell. You obviously know the finer details of working around contracts and exceptions.
Couchdonkey

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed May 28, 2003 8:51 pm

Word, Snakell's insight is always a treat for the common fan. If I may be so bold, I like to personally take down any who are willing to scrutinize Fisher's character. I am priviliged to have had the opportunity to meet the guy and let me tell you, he is a class act. There is no finer individual than D-Fish. When he cried at the final loss against the Spurs I cried as well.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed May 28, 2003 10:04 pm

You should partly be thanking LP (CL Member "LakerPride") because he inspired me to get some knowledge of the salary cap, the luxury tax and the contracts of the players in the NBA so that I can have a total encompasing expertise on every aspect of the NBA. He used non threatening, non insulting constructive criticism and that served to motivate me to get smarter and since then I have saved access points to every possible contract source and the entire copy (online) of the current league CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) so yes, I can always tell people what is what, and now I can say for how much and how long as well...
Snakell Beast

Postby Reddy on Wed May 28, 2003 10:06 pm

Danny Ainge wrote:Word, Snakell's insight is always a treat for the common fan. If I may be so bold, I like to personally take down any who are willing to scrutinize Fisher's character. I am priviliged to have had the opportunity to meet the guy and let me tell you, he is a class act. There is no finer individual than D-Fish. When he cried at the final loss against the Spurs I cried as well.

ditto that! :man1:

I love Fisher. He can make some real clutch shots 4 us, and he can get steals, he's flopped less too. ! And dah ladies love him! :man11: :man10:
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu May 29, 2003 12:06 am

Dayam!! Snake, ur gonna inspire me to follow in ur footsteps... I been tryin to learn about all this, but some of it is confusin.. I REALLY appriciate the time and patience it took u to get u to where u are! :man1:
LakersGyrl2003

Fisher's gone fishing

Postby drewdown on Thu May 29, 2003 10:35 am

Uh? Hello? :man7: Are you clowns nuts! Fisher has been killing us ever since he got his contract 2 years ago. Whether its Bibby, Stoudamire, Parker, or Troy Hudson he's about 2 steps too slow. (Yep, that Troy Hudson- the worst, a Clipper reject.) As far as guarding against the pick-and-roll he has to guard at least one of them. And stop worrying about Samaki, that experiment is over. Bring in Lue or Payton and either Juwan Howard or Tyrone Hill. Keep Fisher as a back up and start drafting some athleticism and size. Kupchak, you're on the clock!!!
drewdown

what is the defintion of ....

Postby drewdown on Thu May 29, 2003 10:42 am

encompasing???????? Nice spelling clown. [/b][/quote]
drewdown

Re: what is the defintion of ....

Postby Reddy on Thu May 29, 2003 5:27 pm

drewdown wrote:encompasing???????? Nice spelling clown. [/b]
[/quote] :what:
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu May 29, 2003 6:55 pm

Don't mind Drewdown he's the type of person who yell at the rain simply because he does not understand it. He's the kind of person that in his haste to rob a bank will simply shoot the cash register in hopes that all his financial problems will be solved.
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu May 29, 2003 7:36 pm

"encompasing???????? Nice spelling clown."

Well, I feel the need to say that you are totally correct, I should have spelled "Encompassing" correctly and as someone who knows spelling and the English language as much as I do, it is a large error. If that makes my point any less valid to you, then I guess there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I will try to convince you now that I know basketball pretty well though...

Fisher signed his extension in August of 1999, a 7 year 21 million dollar deal, so what contract were you talking about in your above post? As far as the pick and roll goes, when we started to defend it as a team in Minnesota Mr. Hudson's point totals dried up faster than the Sahara before Monsoon. Lue wants back in but since he is, at best, a bencher we would have to part with Pargo and that might be a mistake. Payton is a bit old, I would prefer Terry, Arenas or Miller to GP because of age and attitude. I agree, D-Fish as a back up is stellar! Remember that he was averaging roughly 15 a game this year when it counted and every other game he went for 16-20!

We DO need to draft for athleticism and I would go for David West and Travis Hansen.
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu May 29, 2003 8:19 pm

Snakell you have no reason to apologize to this fruit. He isn't even familiar with intelligent words like encompassing anyway. The most sophisticated word he ever heard was "git". The most sophisticated sentence he's heard is "Hey [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] get me a beer while I play my banjo and pick my teeth with a piece of hay."
Danny Ainge

Postby Reddy on Fri May 30, 2003 5:46 am

Danny Ainge wrote:Snakell you have no reason to apologize to this fruit. He isn't even familiar with intelligent words like encompassing anyway. The most sophisticated word he ever heard was "git". The most sophisticated sentence he's heard is "Hey [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] get me a beer while I play my banjo and pick my teeth with a piece of hay."
:bow: yuupp!
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri May 30, 2003 8:08 pm

Naw, I'm not worried about it. If he wants to downgrade our discussions to pointing out typos and calling names, I'm certainly not going to give that behavior any kind of enabling reaction, like getting defensive or retaliating. I am mature enough for people to take pot shots at me if they disagree, it's what makes this forum fun and engaging...

THanx anyway for the backing though...
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri May 30, 2003 8:14 pm

Anytime player, I know you're above all that rubbish anyhow.
Danny Ainge

Fish

Postby Spen1 on Sat May 31, 2003 7:13 am

Fish is garbage get him out of here!!! :man8:
Spen1

Postby LAKERCHICK on Sat May 31, 2003 10:46 am

NO YOU DIDNT :mad1: :disagree:
HOW THA F**K IS D-FISH GARBAGE? HUH?
I HATE PEPS. THAT BE COMING UP HERE AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THA F**K THEY TALKING BOUT, REALLY I BET YOU CANT EVEN BACK YOU [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] UP :man7: TELL ME HOW IS HE GARBAGE?
YOU JUST [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] GOT ME MAD :mad1: :boxing1: :shootb:

YOU BEST BE JOKING :man9:
Devean George
LAKERCHICK

Hmmm....

Postby lalgirl3 on Sat May 31, 2003 10:52 am

Trade Derek Fisher?... naw aint no way. Every player as them days where there game aint the best and then they have those days were their game is way off the meter! Derek's had acouple of ankle injuries and he admirts that he's a little more hesitant about some plays and stuff but I still think he is a damn good basketball player. Dont trade Fisher! Dont trade Fisher! :bow:
lalgirl3

Postby LAKERCHICK on Sat May 31, 2003 10:59 am

I'm trying to keep my cool but i just cant

Hey u still aint answer my question why is D-Fish garbage??
how come you aint answering, cuz you cant back your [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] up.HUH??
thats why you aint answering you aint got nottin to say :man2: :man10:
Devean George
LAKERCHICK

Trade Fisher

Postby Trojan Warrior on Sat May 31, 2003 1:21 pm

If the Lakers are really planning to bring in Gary Payton and also sign Ty Lue to the minimum they are going to have 4 point guard on their roster next year. That means that Fisher should be traded. Pargo has more upside and has a much lower contract. Trade Fish and get the best we can. However if Lue doesnt sign we can keep Fisher for his shooting of the bench. He should never, ever, be a started for the Lakers again.
Trojan Warrior

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 31, 2003 2:51 pm

I dont think Lue is gonna be comin up in LA any time soon... Fish ain't garbage, and LC, calm down! That's what these guests wanna do, is just talk smack and get u all riled up, so don't let them win. Register and hit it the forums, so we can know who u are. Then we'll take u seriously. But it really doesn't matter. Well Fish isn't garbage, he stepped up in the 1st round, and he was somewhat consistant. He isn't gonna leave any time soon, so lets just leave it as that.
LakersGyrl2003

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion