With Lakers, Mark Madsen takes step toward becoming a head coach
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 9643.story

Andrew Bynum looks forward to Cleveland fans who support their team
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 9307.story

Lakers could host Miami Heat on Christmas, report says
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 9343.story

Thanks!

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Re: For Lakers and Kobe Bryant, next summer is the dream season

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:59 am

I like that report about Mark. I liked Mark when he played and everything I've read shows he's got a great understanding of the game.

I've been wondering if he's a dark horse candidate to usurp D'Antoni next summer and I'm starting to think I might be on to something. I'm eager to see what he looks like coaching these guys.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby scissors on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:04 am

I don't know what Drew is talking about. Lakers fans have the most passion.
scissors

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:23 am

^^^ not so much the rich ones at Staples but the "crazies" here on CL for sure :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby lotus on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am

I'm not sold on the 2014 plan. I don't think they will attract those big name free agents to come here and walk away from the extra year they can get from their current team. Especially considered the more restrictive CBA, I don't see how you can walk away from a $30MM final year because there's a possibility that next contract will not have that much to offer. If you point to dwight, he's the exception because, unlike the other potential free agents, he was looking for a home franchise and, let's be honest, his ego is larger than any other.

What I think is more likely to happen is that we will have plenty of cap space, Kobe will hold out until he sees what major free agents we can attract, we won't attract the prize free agent we thought, then the chips will fall and Kobe will have leverage to ask for a healthier deal than the pay cut people feel he should take (i.e. "Duncan Deal", Vet minimum), and we will be at risk of adding B level free agents and paying them more than we should, but our hand will be forced in order to save face and fill a roster the fans want to see and TWC is pleased with. If the 2014 and 2015 roster is Kobe, a couple of B level players, and a bunch of C level players, duck fo cover.
lotus

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 am

lotus wrote:I'm not sold on the 2014 plan. I don't think they will attract those big name free agents to come here and walk away from the extra year they can get from their current team. Especially considered the more restrictive CBA, I don't see how you can walk away from a $30MM final year because there's a possibility that next contract will not have that much to offer. If you point to dwight, he's the exception because, unlike the other potential free agents, he was looking for a home franchise and, let's be honest, his ego is larger than any other.

What I think is more likely to happen is that we will have plenty of cap space, Kobe will hold out until he sees what major free agents we can attract, we won't attract the prize free agent we thought, then the chips will fall and Kobe will have leverage to ask for a healthier deal than the pay cut people feel he should take (i.e. "Duncan Deal", Vet minimum), and we will be at risk of adding B level free agents and paying them more than we should, but our hand will be forced in order to save face and fill a roster the fans want to see and TWC is pleased with. If the 2014 and 2015 roster is Kobe, a couple of B level players, and a bunch of C level players, duck fo cover.

2014 is pure pipe. 2015 is more realistic. But like I said in another thread, even if EVERYTHING goes perfect and we somehow get Aldridge, Love AND Rondo to add to a minimum Kobe, is that enough to compete when you conisdder they will be surrounded by the Band of Merry Minimums.
Savory Griddles

Postby kray28 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:17 pm

LOL, Kobe is not taking the minimum.
kray28

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:26 pm

If the Lakers don't get anybody in 2014, they should just pay Kobe 32 million for one season and then he can take the minimum the next season when we can make a run at actual UFA.

Pay him all in one year, instead of double digits the next 3.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Then there's the dynasty-creating way Bryant could turn the Lakers around overnight.

All it takes is a 95% pay cut.

He could accept the veteran's minimum of $1.45 million for 2014-15, allowing the Lakers to sign two big-name guys next summer and set themselves up for another coup in the summer of 2015 with spending power to add another big-ticket player, when LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Kevin Love and Rajon Rondo could be free agents.

This part made me LOL. :man10:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Return to Lakers Discussion