Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:
ThizGuy83 wrote:I'm sorry but what is the big deal about Kevin love? I really don't see anything about him that makes me say damn he's really good

Natural rebounder and a great outside shot. Good passer. Adequate athlete. He's in the conversation for best PF in the League. There's a lot to like.

Outside the year he got hurt...3 of the 4 years he averaged 24.1 ppg on 46%FG, 39% from 3FG, pulled down 13.6rpb, 3 assists per game. And he's still only 25 (26 in Sep).

Those are huge numbers.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:07 pm

therealdeal wrote:I just disagree. I think we'll see a lot of weaknesses on their part as Kyrie and Love get utterly exposed defensively. Their collective team is way too young and way too inexperienced. I think even with Love they're a year or two away from the Finals. They're three years away from beating any team in the West.

Yeah the big difference was Wade in year one was already an NBA champion and was proven under pressure. Kyrie not so much. Bosh had also led the Raptors to a division title and the playoffs as the #1 guy. Love has never done that.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Kyrie and Varejao are guaranteed to get injured. It's not an if, it's a when and how long.

Dion is the odd man out in CLE. He has beef with Kyrie, he wants to start this season and he has a bad attitude.

Love is good and puts up numbers, but if you can't get a team to .500 level or even a consistent .400 level, how much of an impact is he having on the team overall? Throw in the injuries and no defense and he's a poor man's Bosh without the defense.

They'll be good, but that won't roll any team they face and it's still going to be Lebron carrying that team to a ring if they win one. I'd take the Heat teams recently over this Cavs team. Outside Lebron, it's a bunch of unprovens and question marks.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:01 am

Yeah, I know LeBron is great and it's the East, but expecting a team of players that have NEVER played in the playoffs to suddenly make the Finals or win it all is kinda much to me. Even when Pau first came to LA he had at least first round experience, even if he hadn't won a single game, he had played in the playoffs. Same with Odom, Bynum, Fisher, there were guys here at the top of the team that were used to that level. Kyrie and Love have never sniffed the playoffs, I think at the very least, for the first year they aren't going to dominate anyone. Sure, they could surprise and prove to be clutch players, but I don't know, when you get to ECF, Finals, that's where experience matters and you see what type of players they really are.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:48 am

I think Cleveland is being highly undervalued here. When they get Love they'll have everything going for them.

Best player in the game
Best PF and top 7-10 player in Love (ideal fit next to LeBron)
(arguably) Best young PG talent in the NBA who is about to get his masters degree at the World games.
A 18ppg SG who will (need to) learn to play off the ball
Young PF who can play physical and still has some upside in Tristan
Hustle big man with a ton of energy and D who has been in the finals
Dead eye shooters in Miller and Jones who have rings

They'll have a ton of competition from Chicago, but if they click, I think they are the favorites in the East.
Center Court

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:55 am

Center Court wrote:I think Cleveland is being highly undervalued here. When they get Love they'll have everything going for them.

Best player in the game
Best PF and top 7-10 player in Love (ideal fit next to LeBron)
(arguably) Best young PG talent in the NBA who is about to get his masters degree at the World games.
A 18ppg SG who will (need to) learn to play off the ball
Young PF who can play physical and still has some upside in Tristan
Hustle big man with a ton of energy and D who has been in the finals
Dead eye shooters in Miller and Jones who have rings

They'll have a ton of competition from Chicago, but if they click, I think they are the favorites in the East.

Irving and Waiters have had issues playing with each other due to the fact that neither are very good at playing off ball, now you bring James in the mix who like to dominate the ball as much as PG would, how do you figure 2 players who have to drastically change their game to fit James type offense to change their game that much to play affectively? And waiters is probabaly an 18ppg guy if he was allowed to play free and w/o Irving, now he has to deal with Irving and James taking the ball out of his hands. As for their hustle big, Andy has avg. considerably large amounts of game missed for the last 4 years.
khmrP

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:55 am

I have a standing bet with one of my coworkers that Chicago will finish with a better regular season record than Cleveland. But I think by the time they meet in the ECF, the Cavs will have figured it out.
Savory Griddles

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:16 am

McDermott looked pretty good in summer league. It looks like his stroke might be legit and he might be a lights out shooter. If he can be like a 15-17 ppg (which wouldn't surprise me one bit) and Gasol plays motivated and not to mention Rose returning healthy, they could be pretty darn good.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:49 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:McDermott looked pretty good in summer league. It looks like his stroke might be legit and he might be a lights out shooter. If he can be like a 15-17 ppg (which wouldn't surprise me one bit) and Gasol plays motivated and not to mention Rose returning healthy, they could be pretty darn good.

I think their pieces fit better together than Cleveland's. Love and Lebron are perfect for each other, but other than that, their parts aren't ideal. LBJ is so much better though than anyone not named Durant that eventually he'll figure it out. But I think for next season, they finish second overall, especially with the Pacers essentially losing their two best players from last year.
Savory Griddles

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 pm

it would be recycling but why not throw vet min offer at Sessions? can't hurt right? We all know we cant count on Nash and Clarkson is more of a combo guard. Sessions would do well to come here and play well on national spot light type team like ours if he wants another big contract.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 pm

khmrP wrote:it would be recycling but why not throw vet min offer at Sessions? can't hurt right? We all know we cant count on Nash and Clarkson is more of a combo guard. Sessions would do well to come here and play well on national spot light type team like ours if he wants another big contract.

After shooting 47% from the field and 48% from 3PT during the regular season with us, he completely withered away in the playoffs shooting an abysmal 37% from the field and 18% from downtown. Drop 3 less ppg and apg as well.

Not really one for the spotlight.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
khmrP wrote:it would be recycling but why not throw vet min offer at Sessions? can't hurt right? We all know we cant count on Nash and Clarkson is more of a combo guard. Sessions would do well to come here and play well on national spot light type team like ours if he wants another big contract.

After shooting 47% from the field and 48% from 3PT during the regular season with us, he completely withered away in the playoffs shooting an abysmal 37% from the field and 18% from downtown. Drop 3 less ppg and apg as well.

Not really one for the spotlight.

he never been to the playoffs, gota give him a pass for that one and not like we had much of a chance anyways against Westbrook and OKC then, isn't that the year they got to the finals?
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:13 pm

I'd take Sessions for the min. if he wanted to come back, but I don't think that's realistic.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:22 pm

You do not trade a two way player like Wiggins, on a rookie contract for a guy who is known for great numbers and zero defense. Lebron will have to guard everyone again because Irving and Love are terrible defenders.

I think the Cavs are making a giant mistake and Minny is going to come away with a steal.
OX1947

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'd take Sessions for the min. if he wanted to come back, but I don't think that's realistic.

if he was getting better offers he'd be sign by now....
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:47 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I'd take Sessions for the min. if he wanted to come back, but I don't think that's realistic.

if he was getting better offers he'd be sign by now....

Maybe and maybe not. Money is drying up quickly now so you could definitely be right. The thing is, why would he sign here for the minimum? He could sign with a team that'll be better than us and he could get just as much playing time or maybe more. The Rockets were interested in him a week ago. Here's a quote from him though on his free agency:

Sessions says he is exploring all of his possibilities during this free agency as he looks to sign a deal with one of the 32 NBA teams in need of a point guard.

"You wanna win, but the NBA is a business. You take the opportunity that is there and we're looking at all options. I like being on the rebuilding teams also. It's one of those things where those guys respect me and I can come in and show my leadership, because I've been around a little bit," Sessions said.

Sources close to the former University of Nevada star say he's had discussions with a few NBA teams, including the Houston Rockets.

We're a rebuilding team, but he's been here before and didn't have a great time. For whatever reason, I just don't see it happening. Maybe it does, but I just don't see it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:56 pm

As I said, just throw him an offer and see if it sticks...not gona be mad/sad or whatever if he says no. I thought he had a good experience till the playoffs and he might have stayed had it not been for the Nash deal.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I agree with that. I'd try, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to me for him to want to be here that's all.

The quote definitely seems to point to him not wanting to be in the playoff spotlight and that kind of tells me he wouldn't get along with Kobe well. Although I could be reading too much into that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:47 pm

sessions wants to be in a situation where he gets an opportunity/as much playing time as possible.

Even if all the teams offer him the same he will go were he gets to play the most. It's just reason that I'd be shocked if he signed with us. Yes we need a PG but the opportunity we would have for him is not going to be greater than most out there.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Shawn Marion Could Pick Cavaliers Over Pacers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Shawn Marion Could Pick Cavaliers Over Pacers

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 50s

Free agent forward Shawn Marion is leaning strongly toward signing with Cleveland over Indiana, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 7593188353
Kobe8Fan

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:38 pm

OX1947 wrote:You do not trade a two way player like Wiggins, on a rookie contract for a guy who is known for great numbers and zero defense. Lebron will have to guard everyone again because Irving and Love are terrible defenders.

I think the Cavs are making a giant mistake and Minny is going to come away with a steal.

Agreed. No way would I trade away a guy with that much talent and potential. Even if his offense isn't solid, his D will be there from the get go. And so will be his athleticism, which means transition points, slashing to the hoop, put backs, and jumping passing lanes. He will impact the game even if his offense isn't there. Without him, Bron will have to expend more energy on both ends.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Roscoe on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:03 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
OX1947 wrote:You do not trade a two way player like Wiggins, on a rookie contract for a guy who is known for great numbers and zero defense. Lebron will have to guard everyone again because Irving and Love are terrible defenders.

Agreed. No way would I trade away a guy with that much talent and potential. Even if his offense isn't solid, his D will be there from the get go. And so will be his athleticism, which means transition points, slashing to the hoop, put backs, and jumping passing lanes. He will impact the game even if his offense isn't there. Without him, Bron will have to expend more energy on both ends.

100% agree with you both. The Cavs will not win anything with Kyrie, LBJ, and KLove. That's literally Miami Heat 2.0 minus the experience and defense. LBJ will have to do everything (defensively and offensively) yet again, which will shorten his career and the Cavs' championship window. I would argue that the big 3 of Westbrook, Durant, and Ibaka are overall way better than those three because they play hard on both sides of the ball.

When you have the most hyped prospect since Lebron and the opportunity groom him under the wing of the man himself you do not pass that up under any circumstance. That's like the Lakers having the opportunity to draft Lebron as a rookie when Kobe was in his prime. Things like this never happen. The Cavs are very stupid if they go through with this trade giving up Wiggins for Love.

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby LOSLAKERS on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 pm

I somewhat agree. I think Love, Kyrie and James is certainly better than Miami's 3, at least how they were as of last year. Even if they aren't as good, what they do have is like every free agent wanting to go over there cheap and the advantage of being in the East and not having to battle through a series of worthy opponents. There's also the chance that they get into the Finals and while they are playing the "best" team of the West, it's a good match up for them.
LOSLAKERS

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:40 am

Omer is an unrestricked FA next year; having watched a few of the Rockets games, I'm starting to find him more and more appeasing. Would be a decent pickup, IMO...wonder how much he'll go for next year on the open market...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby khmrP on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:

its alright 6 years from now Wiggins will be asking out just like Love, KG, etc. :man10:
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion