Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby jlkr on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
trodgers wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:Actually, I'm mistaken...it doesn't only have to be put in writing according to Windhorst...

Sources confirmed to ESPN.com that the Cavs and Love can make no such arrangements about the future, even verbally, without violating salary cap circumvention rules in the league's collective bargaining agreement. Love has made it widely known he intends to opt out of his contract at season's end to become a free agent in July 2015, but the circumvention rules state that any discussions between the Cavs and Love regarding any future contract cannot take place until Love becomes a free agent next summer.

....and if anyone believes this is followed I've got a bridge for sale.....

Them's the rules, but we all know that's not how things play out.

Yup.... We'll see if the league does anything. They can't undue the trade because there it wasn't a "term" of the deal I'd think. Everyone seems to forget that the Hornets were in possession of the entire league and the Commissioner was responsible for OKing their transactions.... this is a completely different situation here.

My guess is a fine.

Anyone recall what happened with Glen Taylor and Joe Smith? The Wolves were not only fined $3.5m, they forfeited their first round pick for FIVE years (2003 was eventually restored to them). In addition, Taylor was suspended for a year and VP of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale was forced into a leave of absence.

So yes, the NBA usually takes this seriously. I say "usually" because it remains to be seen if that hypocritical owner in Cleveland has Silver in his back pocket like he did Stern.

Personally, I'd Love to see Cleveland take it in the balls for this. Poetic justice and all that... Som nam na! as the Thai would say ...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:13 pm

The NBA isn't going to do anything about this. This is their wet dream, a super team in a small market, lead by the face of the NBA.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:58 pm

My wet dream would be what jlkr is suggesting and "hoping" (little chance) that Gilbert get it in the balls.
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:15 pm

NBA could veto Love deal
By The Sports Xchange
6 hours ago
The SportsXchange

The NBA could block the trade that results in Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star power forward Kevin Love going to the Cleveland Cavaliers if it is determined that it violates league rules.

According to ESPN, the NBA is monitoring the process in case an illegal agreement is reached between Love and the Cavaliers.

Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday that the Cavaliers have a deal in place to give Love a five-year, $120 million extension, but both teams have been careful in not publicly acknowledging the trade or a contract extension for Love.

According to reports, Cleveland is sending center Anthony Bennett, guard/forward Andrew Wiggins and a future first-round draft pick to Minnesota for Love. Minnesota will send Bennett, as part of a package of players, to the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for forward Thaddeus Young.

Trade talks can take place, but the deal cannot become official until Aug. 23. Cleveland signed No. 1 draft choice Wiggins on July 24. NBA rules stipulate that draft picks cannot be traded within 30 days of their signing.
The Cavaliers cannot offer Love a contract extension before the deal is official.

If the NBA proves that the Cavaliers and Love agreed to an extension before the deal is official, the league can veto the trade and punish both teams.

Love, 25, averaged 19 points and 12.2 rebounds in six seasons with the Timberwolves but never made the playoffs. In the final year of his rookie contract, Love planned to test the free agent market in July 2015 if he was not traded by the Timberwolves.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-could- ... --nba.html
LTLakerFan

Postby MadMax on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:03 pm

This is Lebron's league. The trade is happening.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah.. It's Lebron not the Lakers.. The league will give them a fine at worst.
LakersN4

Postby Balance&Options24 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Silver was mentored by stern too long even if there was strong evidence of wrong doing the league and Silver would find a way to make the trade happen. The opposite of basketball reasons.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby 432J on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:16 pm

:man10: at thinking that the NBA would even consider vetoing this trade

the NBA revolves around lebron, so anything to please him or help him win will not be denied
432J

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Something CL posters probably never thought they'd see me type.. Maybe we should have went after Monroe.. It's looking like he's going to have to settle for 10-12M a year or play out the QO. Would definitely take Monroe over Hill in our current situation. Would be cool if he ends up playing out his QO & becoming a UFA.. Add him to the crop of available bigs.
LakersN4

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Doc Brown wrote:The NBA isn't going to do anything about this. This is their wet dream, a super team in a small market, lead by the face of the NBA.

The NBA's wet dream is LA vs NY with Kobe VS LeBron on opposite sides. I don't know why people think the NBA would prefer small markets to dominate. It took the Spurs 14 years and 5 titles to become a team people are excited to watch. The Cavs will be a must watch out the gate but still it's not of any benefit for LeBron to be in a small market.

Right now, superstars are bigger than the sport. Any time LeBron is in the finals it's a huge $ win. But the NBA has no allegiance to seeing the Cavs in the finals.
Center Court

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Greg Monroe signed the QO & will be an unrestricted FA next summer. Monroe + Marc seems like a good use of that flexibility we created.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2014/08/12/greg-monroe-restricted-free-agent-pistons-qualifying-offer/12940893/
LakersN4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:31 pm

LakersN4 wrote:Greg Monroe signed the QO & will be an unrestricted FA next summer. Monroe + Marc seems like a good use of that flexibility we created.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2014/08/12/greg-monroe-restricted-free-agent-pistons-qualifying-offer/12940893/

great news for us! Now gives us the possibility of signing him next when when we will have a lot of CAP room again
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:Greg Monroe signed the QO & will be an unrestricted FA next summer. Monroe + Marc seems like a good use of that flexibility we created.

great news for us! Now gives us the possibility of signing him next when when we will have a lot of CAP room again

Quite frankly, I'd rather go after a True Center...Go get me a Robin Lopez or an Omer Asik next year, and I'm good...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

Quite frankly, I'd rather go after a True Center...Go get me a Robin Lopez or an Omer Asik next year, and I'm good...

yeah, I'm not completely against that but its nice that another option is available to us now that he signed his qualifying offer
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

Depends on how good Randle is.. If he's good enough to start/be our best big, no doubt you focus on getting a guy like Asik or Marc that can provide the defense that I doubt Randle will.. Hopefully Randle is legit & we only have to get a big that can anchor the defense. I'd love to add a starting big (Marc/Asik/Monroe) & Rondo.. I love Lin & all but Rondo is such a competitor, I just think he'd mesh VERY well with Kobe.
LakersN4

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 am

LakersN4 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

Depends on how good Randle is.. If he's good enough to start/be our best big, no doubt you focus on getting a guy like Asik or Marc that can provide the defense that I doubt Randle will.. Hopefully Randle is legit & we only have to get a big that can anchor the defense. I'd love to add a starting big (Marc/Asik/Monroe) & Rondo.. I love Lin & all but Rondo is such a competitor, I just think he'd mesh VERY well with Kobe.

I'm not worried about signing someone who would mesh well with Kobe. I mean, next season may be his final season.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

And by the way Monroe is probably one of the few true offensive Centers left. Defensively he's not great and he's not a rim protector, so maybe not a great fit next to Randle.

I completely understand wanting a guy who is just a board eater and a defender next to Randle if/when Randle develops into the offensive weapon he CAN be, but that's not this year and it's probably not next year either.

Until then, I take the young version of Pau over any of the other Centers available next summer outside of Marc Gasol. Marc would be perfect fit next to Randle actually so I take him first, but Monroe would be the next Center on my list for sure.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 am

I thought Monroe's natural position was a point forward, or even point center coming out of high school. I don't see him as a true center, but the NBA has changed so maybe that is where he should play. Whatever is decided on him next year, I hope the Lakers don't interfere with Randle's development by crowding the interior.
lotus

Postby SFGOLDRUSHER on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 am

therealdeal wrote:And by the way Monroe is probably one of the few true offensive Centers left. Defensively he's not great and he's not a rim protector, so maybe not a great fit next to Randle.

I completely understand wanting a guy who is just a board eater and a defender next to Randle if/when Randle develops into the offensive weapon he CAN be, but that's not this year and it's probably not next year either.

Until then, I take the young version of Pau over any of the other Centers available next summer outside of Marc Gasol. Marc would be perfect fit next to Randle actually so I take him first, but Monroe would be the next Center on my list for sure.

I agree with what you said 100%. Do yall out there think(even though he said he wants to stay long term,but IMOPO to stay low key&make fans happy), we have a shot at Lamarcus Aldridge? because that would simply be a home run&I have no reason to believe why he wouldnt be able to play next to Randle. Definitely my 1A plan,1B)Marc Gasol,1C)Monroe IF theres VALUE there.

That would establish our bigs&set us up for Kobes successor etc... once again, IMOPO.
Last edited by SFGOLDRUSHER on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFGOLDRUSHER

Postby lotus on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:13 am

Getting Marc Gasol is a pipe dream. Why on earth would he leave Memphis for L.A.? He was traded away from L.A., his brother lost interest in L.A. for Chicago and felt dissed by the organization, he will make more money in Memphis, he is on a much better team, he doesn't seem like the type that is looking to expand his brand like a D12, and he already plays well with Z-Bo. What is the incentive for him to come to the Lakers? To teach Randle to play like Z-Bo? Better cross Marc off of the 2015 plan.
lotus

Postby SFGOLDRUSHER on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am

lotus wrote:Getting Marc Gasol is a pipe dream. Why on earth would he leave Memphis for L.A.? He was traded away from L.A., his brother lost interest in L.A. for Chicago and felt dissed by the organization, he will make more money in Memphis, he is on a much better team, he doesn't seem like the type that is looking to expand his brand like a D12, and he already plays well with Z-Bo. What is the incentive for him to come to the Lakers? To teach Randle to play like Z-Bo? Better cross Marc off of the 2015 plan.

I respect your thoughts&opinion but for you to say its a pipe dream is not a fair statement. Lets not get it twisted, the trade was a business decision&landed his brother 2 championships&also allowed him to be the man in Memphis. Why would he possibly want to come here? Kobe,Randle will be only 20 years old next year&cap flexibility to put pieces around him that could be greater than Z-bo&Conley. Time will tell, let the season begin already.
SFGOLDRUSHER

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 pm

SFGOLDRUSHER wrote:
therealdeal wrote:And by the way Monroe is probably one of the few true offensive Centers left. Defensively he's not great and he's not a rim protector, so maybe not a great fit next to Randle.

I agree with what you said 100%. Do yall out there think(even though he said he wants to stay long term,but IMOPO to stay low key&make fans happy), we have a shot at BIG L.A.? because that would simply be a home run&I have no reason to believe why he wouldnt be able to play next to Randle. Definitely my 1A plan,1B)Marc Gasol,1C)Monroe IF theres VALUE there.

That would establish our bigs&set us up for Kobes successor etc... once again, IMOPO.

Who is BIG?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:29 pm

My wife says I am.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:48 pm

lotus wrote:Getting Marc Gasol is a pipe dream. Why on earth would he leave Memphis for L.A.? He was traded away from L.A., his brother lost interest in L.A. for Chicago and felt dissed by the organization, he will make more money in Memphis, he is on a much better team, he doesn't seem like the type that is looking to expand his brand like a D12, and he already plays well with Z-Bo. What is the incentive for him to come to the Lakers? To teach Randle to play like Z-Bo? Better cross Marc off of the 2015 plan.

Why? Reason 1 - With Nash, Boozer, Lin expiring, Hill and Davis on team/player options, the Lakers will have cal space to sign him to a lucrative contract.

2. Marc plays 3rd option behind Conley and Zbo offensively, if he comes here, he'd easily be the 2nd option.

3. Memphis without Hollins coaching is not the same successful team you think they were. They lack a closer on that team.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:37 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:

Why? Reason 1 - With Nash, Boozer, Lin expiring, Hill and Davis on team/player options, the Lakers will have cal space to sign him to a lucrative contract.

2. Marc plays 3rd option behind Conley and Zbo offensively, if he comes here, he'd easily be the 2nd option.

3. Memphis without Hollins coaching is not the same successful team you think they were. They lack a closer on that team.

Personally, I ssee Marc in NY. He's a perfect triangle fit, has the Pau connection to Phil and triangle, and I think Melo will recruit him hard.
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion