Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby trodgers on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Wes Johnson. He sure doesn't offer much when he's on the court.

Does Beasley have substance abuse problems? Or does he smoke marijuana? Serious question, by the way.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:08 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Sessions is signing in Houston though, so it doesn't really matter.

I'll take Beasley at this point. Screw it. We just need the talent.

The Houston Rockets have limited interest in Ramon Sessions.

Chances of the Rockets acquiring Sessions is "unlikely."

Houston currently has Patrick Beverley, Isaiah Canaan, Ish Smith and Troy Daniels in the point guard rotation.

Sessions played for the Milwaukee Bucks and Charlotte Hornets last season.

Via Jonathan Feigen/Houston Chronicle

Interesting. I'd read a report a week or two ago that said it was basically a done deal.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:11 pm

trodgers wrote:Wes Johnson. He sure doesn't offer much when he's on the court.

Does Beasley have substance abuse problems? Or does he smoke marijuana? Serious question, by the way.

I don't know that his problems are necessarily substance abuse, although there's certainly been smoke on that front. I think his problems are legitimate mental health problems. He's a knucklehead. He needs professional help.

But even a guy like LeBron didn't get along with him. LeBron is the "team" guy who wants to be everyone's friend and he didn't really like Beasley's approach. That's a red flag to me.

That being said, I'd still bring him in.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Wes is proven and Beasley had empty stats? :man3:

How can 20 ppg on decent shooting with a good TO rate be empty? If Beasley's stats are empty what are Nick Young's? To me they are very similar players....

Wes= proven journeyman. Average NBA player.

What has Beasley proven? That he can score a lot of points on bad teams and get bounced out of the locker room year after year? Is that better than Wes? Is that the kind of guy we want starting for our team?

Or do we want him to prove that he's dedicated first and then give him the opportunity?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby Rooscooter on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Our team is a tossed together group of players filling slots for a year or two. Maybe Randle will be here then next time we are a threat but that's it. It isn't like either of them is going to be a key player on a meaningful team.

I've watched Wes and I wouldn't put him in the "Average" category. Odds are that he doesn't make 75% the cut on the teams in the league.

We're a bad team..... why not have Beasley score a lot of points for us? I've seen what Wes can do and I'd rather watch Beasley quite frankly..... if he comes to play.

Scoring points on bad teams is the entire description of Nick Young's career..... He seems liked around here....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby Rooscooter on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 pm

trodgers wrote:Wes Johnson. He sure doesn't offer much when he's on the court.

Does Beasley have substance abuse problems? Or does he smoke marijuana? Serious question, by the way.


Ganja....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 am

Rooscooter wrote:Our team is a tossed together group of players filling slots for a year or two. Maybe Randle will be here then next time we are a threat but that's it. It isn't like either of them is going to be a key player on a meaningful team.

I've watched Wes and I wouldn't put him in the "Average" category. Odds are that he doesn't make 75% the cut on the teams in the league.

We're a bad team..... why not have Beasley score a lot of points for us? I've seen what Wes can do and I'd rather watch Beasley quite frankly..... if he comes to play.

Scoring points on bad teams is the entire description of Nick Young's career..... He seems liked around here....

Nick Young also embraced the city and became a fan favorite by giving effort on the court and in the community. He'll never be a great defender, but Nick was actually okay last year. We all thought he'd give us nothing and he gave us... a little. Add that to exciting play, 40 point games, and whatnot and Nick was an easy fan favorite.

Beasley meanwhile hasn't been a locker room favorite, let alone a fan favorite. He consistently has brought a poor attitude, inconsistent production, and an absolute lack of desire to the court wherever he went. He played on a championship caliber team last season that needed bench production and couldn't get off his butt. Why?

I'm not saying I wouldn't start Beasley if he came in and outproduced Wesley, but he has to come in and outproduce Wesley first. Snakell's suggestion was just to hand him the starting spot with 28-30 minutes per game and that might be the worst thing we could do for someone like him. I'd much rather have him come in and prove himself like Nick did.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 am

therealdeal wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Our team is a tossed together group of players filling slots for a year or two. Maybe Randle will be here then next time we are a threat but that's it. It isn't like either of them is going to be a key player on a meaningful team.

I've watched Wes and I wouldn't put him in the "Average" category. Odds are that he doesn't make 75% the cut on the teams in the league.

We're a bad team..... why not have Beasley score a lot of points for us? I've seen what Wes can do and I'd rather watch Beasley quite frankly..... if he comes to play.

Scoring points on bad teams is the entire description of Nick Young's career..... He seems liked around here....

Nick Young also embraced the city and became a fan favorite by giving effort on the court and in the community. He'll never be a great defender, but Nick was actually okay last year. We all thought he'd give us nothing and he gave us... a little. Add that to exciting play, 40 point games, and whatnot and Nick was an easy fan favorite.

Beasley meanwhile hasn't been a locker room favorite, let alone a fan favorite. He consistently has brought a poor attitude, inconsistent production, and an absolute lack of desire to the court wherever he went. He played on a championship caliber team last season that needed bench production and couldn't get off his butt. Why?

I'm not saying I wouldn't start Beasley if he came in and outproduced Wesley, but he has to come in and outproduce Wesley first. Snakell's suggestion was just to hand him the starting spot with 28-30 minutes per game and that might be the worst thing we could do for someone like him. I'd much rather have him come in and prove himself like Nick did.


I agree with the bolded...Phoenix tried to do the same thing with Beasley, and it backfired tremendously. That's why it's important to get this right from the very beginning starting with the contract negotiations. Give him a non-guaranteed contract and give him an opportunity to prove himself in training camp and on the court. If he shows growth and outperforms Wesley, then by all means, he'll get the minutes.

You can't give Beasley too much too soon, and I don't believe we will. We need talent right now, and with Kobe coming off of two significant injuries, Xavier being injury prone throughout his career, and Nick even missing games last year, it wouldn't hurt to have another body that could play the SF position. Bring him on.

That said, it has been our strategy in the past to keep at least 1 roster spot open for flexibility. Given our needs, if we do sign Beasley, do we forgo that strategy and sign a Point Guard and head into the season with 15 players on the roster?
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 am

^ We might actually. We're not likely to make many trades this year where we receive more than we send out right? We don't have those kinds of assets. I wouldn't see the harm this year in maxing out the roster if we could sign Beasley and another PG somewhere.


Either way the point remains, I don't want to hand anything to Beasley at all. I want him to come in and show he wants it and show he's worth the time and effort.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Nick Young's reputation wasn't much different than Beasley's... different back stories but similar results.

While Young is what he is.... Beasley has a fairly unique set of talents for a guy his size. I'm not a huge stat guy but at BB Reference his per 100 possessions stuff is pretty impressive. If this guy has the ability to straighten it out why not here? His ceiling is an All Star.... Wes is at or above his IMO.

Nick is fun to watch at times and he's a fan favorite. He's also at his ceiling as a player.

if it were me..... I'd take a minimum chance on Beasley.... I'd start him and see if he can cope... if not then cut him. If he does respond then cut Wes. You don't need them both and I've never seen much is Wes that we can't get on the waiver wire anyway.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:49 pm

I don't think it could hurt to sign Beasley.. He's played with very good players but I don't think he's ever played with anyone that will get in his face like Kobe. This would be a good situation for Beas to see if he's ever going to sink or swim in this league.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby halekulani on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:14 pm

while i wouldn't mind signing supercoolbeas, i wouldn't cut wes' minutes. i'd much rather develop wes. anything you get out of beasley is a bonus. i think the 19ppg minnesota version is a longshot.
User avatar
halekulani

 
Posts: 8781
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm

halekulani wrote:while i wouldn't mind signing supercoolbeas, i wouldn't cut wes' minutes. i'd much rather develop wes. anything you get out of beasley is a bonus. i think the 19ppg minnesota version is a longshot.

Wes is 27, there isn't much developing to do at this point.. Beasley however is 25 & already has a 20 PPG season under his belt.. He has real potential to be something more than a low level role player.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:00 pm

I just don't understand the mentality of giving Beasley anything. Give him a minimum contract and let him earn his minutes. So far Wesley has done far more than Beasley to endear himself to us.

As for Beasley vs. Young, their stories were actually pretty different. I'd say Beasley is more like JR Smith. Young was looked at as a goofball and not focused enough, but I don't think he was ever characterized as a negative locker room presence. At least not the same way.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 pm

halekulani wrote:while i wouldn't mind signing supercoolbeas, i wouldn't cut wes' minutes. i'd much rather develop wes. anything you get out of beasley is a bonus. i think the 19ppg minnesota version is a longshot.


His production per minute in his career has been remarkably consistent. If he got 28 minutes a game I think he could get us 15+ easily. His problem has been focus and dedication.... just like Wes. You see a glimpse every now an again with Wes but he just doesn't seem to care. Beasley, when engages is actually pretty darn good. If we could get a system going where he is required to participate I think he would respond well.


.... as for comparing the two. Wes is a true bust. He's never fulfilled his draft spot. Beasley has failed to stick with teams but he's put up numbers that show he's got the talent and ability when engaged. Wes, even when playing at the top of his game is a bench role player on a decent team.

With Scott I'd say that no one has earned anything..... what Wes did last year in MDA's system won't translate with Scott.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby thkthebest on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Wes definitely sucks, but at the same time, I don't really want Beasley. Sure, he can be somewhat productive, but how much will that really help our team? Beasley seems like a guy who would be detrimental to our locker room. I've read reports of how he's "toxic" to the team, and that sounds like it's much worse than simply smoking weed. While the Lakers are working toward building a championship caliber team (no matter how long that might take), I want us to develop a team that has the mentality of competing, working hard, and being focused.

Beasley would net us a few extra wins right now, but I want to sign players that have good attitudes, which can help us in the long run.
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:35 pm

We're not really looking at Wesley Johnson the #4 pick though. We're looking at Wesley Johnson the best perimeter defender we potentially have. With Kobe Bryant at there we're going to need a guy like Wes to defend the other team's best player. Scott has already said he is looking forward to coaching Wesley and grooming him for that role.

Regardless of being a bust in the draft, we need what he brings more than inconsistent effort offensively with no defense.

Again, unless Beasley comes in and proves me wrong by playing team ball and defending effectively, I see no reason to give him ANYTHING. Let him take it from Wesley. We expect the same from Randle vs. Boozer, why give Beasley any more credit than that? He hasn't proven to be a winner by any stretch, a team player by any means, heck he hasn't even shown he's a half way decent kid. He's just been a butthead that's bounced around the League. Let him prove something first.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:42 pm

thkthebest wrote:Wes definitely sucks, but at the same time, I don't really want Beasley.


I somewhat agree.... that should tell you what I think of Wes more than what I think of Beasley....

thkthebest wrote:Beasley would net us a few extra wins right now, but I want to sign players that have good attitudes, which can help us in the long run.


I've said this before.... my take is that we are looking for the next star are are not really looking to "rebuild" in a true sense until that player is secured. I think we'd trade Randle in a NY Minute if we could get a 30 year old "star"....

Finding a "turn around" in Beasley would be more something to cheer for at least. We did it with Wes last year and it was for not.... why go back to a known in a toss away year?

I've heard that Beasley has had issues in the locker room as well..... wouldn't be the first time we've taken on a project.

I just don't want to watch Wes anymore and will take a 10% chance that Beasley works out to get there....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23107
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby purp n gold on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Must keep Randle away from Beasley at all costs...
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
User avatar
purp n gold

 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:06 am

purp n gold wrote:Must keep Randle away from Beasley at all costs...


Maybe. Don't want Randle testing positive due to second-hand Beas
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Lol @ thinking Beas could influence ANYONE with guys like Kobe, Byron, Boozer, Nash around. He'd be lucky to get away with influencing a towel boy.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 am

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/31/report-rajon-rondo-has-told-celtics-he-wants-out/I really doubt they want another PG so Lin as a centerpiece of a deal is probably out.. This brings me to the tough question.. Do we give up Randle for Rondo?

Randle & Nash for Rondo probably gets it done. I'd love to get Olynyk back too but either way I think I pull the trigger. I know people will will point to Kobe & Wes not being good enough shooters to cover for Rondo but let's not forget about Nick Young.. He gave us over 2 3's a game at .386.. Boozer & Kelly can shoot, Hill's jumper isn't bad for a C.. I think we can make it work. Seeing how hard Kobe & Rondo will compete would be extremely fun.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby Center Court on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:27 am

LakersN4 wrote:http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/31/report-rajon-rondo-has-told-celtics-he-wants-out/I really doubt they want another PG so Lin as a centerpiece of a deal is probably out.. This brings me to the tough question.. Do we give up Randle for Rondo?

Randle & Nash for Rondo probably gets it done. I'd love to get Olynyk back too but either way I think I pull the trigger. I know people will will point to Kobe & Wes not being good enough shooters to cover for Rondo but let's not forget about Nick Young.. He gave us over 2 3's a game at .386.. Boozer & Kelly can shoot, Hill's jumper isn't bad for a C.. I think we can make it work. Seeing how hard Kobe & Rondo will compete would be extremely fun.


Nope. Randle, for sake of argument, is nearly untouchable. It's not because he is such a can't miss prospect like Wiggins, but because he is literally the only semblance of a future stud we have. If he develops into a great 3rd/2nd option (or better) on a championship level team, then we struck gold. I'm very curious to see how he translates to the NBA but I think he can be a nice player in the league.

IMO, Rondo will be a Laker if he hits free agency. We're going to have a huge hole a PG, max cap space, and a yearning desire to sign a star.

Ainge is a shrewd GM so I'm sure he will insist on Julius but I'm confident Mitch won't budge. They can have Lin + Nash + Houston 1st but that's about the best we can do for now.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby abeer3 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 am

Beasley isn't nick young because young hasn't had all the off-court problems, nor has he been accused of being a problem in the locker room. those are actually huge differences, imo. on the court, they're fairly similar, though.

I don't really want Beasley. if he hasn't gotten it yet, he's not going to. I'd rather not bring in anybody, quite frankly.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10407
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Center Court wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/31/report-rajon-rondo-has-told-celtics-he-wants-out/I really doubt they want another PG so Lin as a centerpiece of a deal is probably out.. This brings me to the tough question.. Do we give up Randle for Rondo?

Randle & Nash for Rondo probably gets it done. I'd love to get Olynyk back too but either way I think I pull the trigger. I know people will will point to Kobe & Wes not being good enough shooters to cover for Rondo but let's not forget about Nick Young.. He gave us over 2 3's a game at .386.. Boozer & Kelly can shoot, Hill's jumper isn't bad for a C.. I think we can make it work. Seeing how hard Kobe & Rondo will compete would be extremely fun.


Nope. Randle, for sake of argument, is nearly untouchable. It's not because he is such a can't miss prospect like Wiggins, but because he is literally the only semblance of a future stud we have. If he develops into a great 3rd/2nd option (or better) on a championship level team, then we struck gold. I'm very curious to see how he translates to the NBA but I think he can be a nice player in the league.

IMO, Rondo will be a Laker if he hits free agency. We're going to have a huge hole a PG, max cap space, and a yearning desire to sign a star.

Ainge is a shrewd GM so I'm sure he will insist on Julius but I'm confident Mitch won't budge. They can have Lin + Nash + Houston 1st but that's about the best we can do for now.
Taking on Nash wouldn't make sense as that's extra salary, unless they're trying to unload more salary.. Maybe Rondo & Green for Lin, Nash, Hou 1st? That'd be pretty sick.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.