Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby GoldHammish on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 pm

It's the Mavericks :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
GoldHammish

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 pm

The Mavs? :man3: Come on Fish you gotta go out better than that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:17 pm

:man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Where could Fish play 12-15 mins? Honestly, if we didn't have Nash & Morris, & were still in a motion offense, he would be a good signing for us. Under Pringles, Nash with a speedy scorer off the bench seems like the way to go. Fisher is neither speedy or a scorer. But I'd take him over Blake or Duhon. Sadly we already have both of them, so there's no room.
lakersin4

Postby XXIV on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Where could Fish play 12-15 mins? Honestly, if we didn't have Nash & Morris, & were still in a motion offense, he would be a good signing for us. Under Pringles, Nash with a speedy scorer off the bench seems like the way to go. Fisher is neither speedy or a scorer. But I'd take him over Blake or Duhon. Sadly we already have both of them, so there's no room.

When Fisher was still here last season he made Blake look like Nash, which is truly saying something. Fisher is done, he can't defend and his shooting is now overrated. As a veteran presence I still believe he has value, but as a player I think his days are numbered.
XXIV

Postby SmoothOperator on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm currently watching the Twolves/Clippers game and I came up with this Pau trade idea between the Lakers and Wolves that could actually benefit both teams.

T'Wolves get Pau Gasol (19 Mil Salary)
Lakers get Kirilenko (9.7 Mil), Derrick Williams (4.8mil), Chase Budinger (0.9mil)

Mitch could try and get cute by also trying to broker Blake for Ridnour... but whatever, that would be the basis of the trade. I wasn't able to run that through ESPN Trade Machine because Kirilenko can't be traded until Dec. 15.... but the salaries match close enough that it would work. Here's the rationale.

The T'Wolves for the past few seasons have always been intrigued at the thought of pairing spaniards Pau Gasol and Ricky Rubio together. Pau could also start at Center while Love plays the PF. This makes Pau more effective as he wants to play in the post, and Love actually is a decent stretch 4 because he is a pretty good 3 point shooter.... this allowing Pau to have room to operate in the post as a center.

The Lakers do this because they are committed to D'antoni's offensive uptempo philosophy. D'antoni has already made comments how Pau is not the ideal PF in his system. He referred to Shawn Marion as his ideal PF back in their Phoenix Suns glory days. What was Marion during those times? An athletic tweener, undersized PF that could outrun traditional sized PFs and hit open perimeter shots. Both Kirilenko and Derrick Williams can fit that description. Kirilenko is a very similar player to Josh Smith, two way defensive tweener PFs... and Kirilenko has been having a very solid season so far for the Wolves, averaging 13ppg, 8rpg, 3apg, 1.8bpg, 1.5spg.... while shooting .508 fg%, and 37.5 3pt%. Williams has shown flashes but the expectation would be that he'd be fairly inconsistent.... but he'd be a huge boost for Lakers bench production. Also don't underrate Chase Budinger who would be fantastic in a D'antoni offense playing the SF role where he could hit the open 3s.

I think Mitch would be able to swing this and have the Wolves agree because the Wolves don't value Williams very much, as they barely play him, they'll essentially sell low on him because I don't see them extending him in the future...they also consider Budinger a player off their bench as well. The only player the Wolves value fairly high is AK... but if they could get Pau for AK and 2 "bench prospects"... I see them doing it.

The Lakers would then be required to fill the PF position by committee with a rotation of AK47, Williams, and Jamison. Since all three are versatile tweeners, they could have spot time at the SF position as well. Include the solid play of Darius Morris lately, this would create overall bench depth that can help keep minutes low for the starters.

Rotation would be something like...

Nash (30mpg)/Blake(10mpg)/Morris(8mpg)/Duhon
Kobe (33mpg)/Meeks (15mpg)
MWP(30mpg)/Budinger (12mpg)/Williams(6mpg)
AK47(26mpg)/Jamison(16mpg)/Williams(6mpg)
Howard(33mpg)/Hill(15mpg)

...You get the idea with the versatility between the SF and PF spot. We would be so deep and it would be interchangable based on whatever player is "hot" on any given night... and that could be a realistic expectation because AK, Jamison, and Williams all have inconsistent tendencies.

D'Antoni would also have the option of having a young, athletic run and gun bench squad lineup if he wants to... I mean, can you imagine...

Morris
Meeks
Budinger (who's surprisingly athletic, was in the dunk contest a few years ago lol)
Williams
Hill
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

Postby XXIV on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 pm

That would be a decent trade and could work out well for us. However, we need to include more players in the trade because we are already at the maximum with a roster of 15. Or we could always just cut players, but I'm sure management would much rather pair Gasol with Blake in order to get rid of his contract.
XXIV

Postby SmoothOperator on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:06 pm

^Agreed that taking in 3 players for Pau would cause the Lakers to be over the max... another option besides cutting players would be to find a team that is willing to take on either Earl Clark, Ebanks, or DJO (even in a package) for a future 2nd round pick or something... We'd only have to make 2 roster spots.

Another advantage of the Pau for AK47, Williams, Budinger trade is it would save the Lakers approximately 3.5million in salary, or 7 million after luxury taxes (The Wolves package combine to make approximately 15.5 mil vs Pau's 19 Mil; both AK47 and Williams contracts are up the same time Pau's is up, while Budinger is currently an expiring K). Because of the instant financial savings, it may make it not as much of a deal breaker to force another team to take on Blake's contract.... but then again, Mitch has done a good job knowing how hard to push in negotations to get a good deal... maybe he could fleece Minnesota to swallow Blake's contract.
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Minny passes for sure. No way in hell do they want to absorb Pau Gasol's contract(especially the trade kicker). AK47 has put that team on his back while Rubio and Love have been out, and is by far the best wing they've had in quite some time. Not too mention that Nikola Pekovic is a terrific young center, a guy who's certainly proved he has what it takes to be a quality center in this league. Trading for Gasol just forces a log jam at the center position and rids them of their only quality wing player.
Frank Dux

Postby nduri on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:44 pm

SmoothOperator wrote:^Agreed that taking in 3 players for Pau would cause the Lakers to be over the max... another option besides cutting players would be to find a team that is willing to take on either Earl Clark, Ebanks, or DJO (even in a package) for a future 2nd round pick or something... We'd only have to make 2 roster spots.

Another advantage of the Pau for AK47, Williams, Budinger trade is it would save the Lakers approximately 3.5million in salary, or 7 million after luxury taxes (The Wolves package combine to make approximately 15.5 mil vs Pau's 19 Mil; both AK47 and Williams contracts are up the same time Pau's is up, while Budinger is currently an expiring K). Because of the instant financial savings, it may make it not as much of a deal breaker to force another team to take on Blake's contract.... but then again, Mitch has done a good job knowing how hard to push in negotations to get a good deal... maybe he could fleece Minnesota to swallow Blake's contract.

I understand that those 3 (Clark, DJO and Ebanks) players you mentioned aren't getting any playing time at the moment, but they are players who could potentially fit very well into this system once it's implemented. Young, fast and athletic, I'm sure Nash would find a way to make them very useful, also I'd say I like the players mentioned in the trade, defensively, Andrei Kirilenko would be a good fit and Buddinger could knock down open 3's all day long.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 pm

AK would fit really well in the Marion role.. I'd rather get a younger guy but with Pau's value, we can't be picky.. Always been a fan of Budinger, was really hoping we got him with Dragic & Scola.. I think Dwill2 is a career bench warmer but young depth with potential. I'd have to take that deal. They'd need to send us some bigger contracts so that we could package more players with Pau to avoid cutting players.
lakersin4

Postby khmrP on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 am

Cuban must still be trying to steal laker secrets since he didn't get much out of Odom :man10:
khmrP

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 am

Cuban should just try to buy the Buss family out. He obviously is infatuated with the Lakers -- their players, their history, Phil, etc.

He always makes comments about the Lakers.

He tried to get Kobe. Then the LO thing blew up in his face -- we got Nash. Now he wants Fish. In the summer he will try for Howard.

I hope we cut DJO and sign Delonte now that Blake and Nash will be out for more weeks. And Delonte gets his head on straight and looks like an all-star with Kobe and Dwight.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Center Court on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 am

I like that Minny trade a lot...

Other deal would be with Boston:

Pau, Blake to Boston
Bass, Lee, Bradley to LA
Center Court

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Center Court wrote:I like that Minny trade a lot...

Other deal would be with Boston:

Pau, Blake to Boston
Bass, Lee, Bradley to LA

Boston ain't trading Bradley. They are really high on his and rightfully so as he's a terrific defender for a guard
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Our past & future stretch 4 was released by the Mavs today..... :man10:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm

What's up with West? Why isn't he in LA already? :man2:
kenzo

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Welp there's goes Pietrus!
Frank Dux

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Yep, Pietrus to Toronto on 1 year deal for vet. min. So he did take less money...I guess the Lakers really want Raja then...but nothing shocks me anymore.. :man10:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Yep, Pietrus to Toronto on 1 year deal for vet. min. So he did take less money...I guess the Lakers really want Raja then...but nothing shocks me anymore.. :man10:

They must be ok with DUI playing later in the seaon or forcing Jamison at the 3...veteran's minimum....how the hell did we let Pietrus go?

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby GoldHammish on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:56 pm

We don't have an available roster spot to sign him....
GoldHammish

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:18 pm

^^^Very true that we had to waive someone to even make room...but it does appear that we have shown interest in Raja and his camp has reciprocated. How we're trying to get him (via trade or free agency through buyout) is still a mystery...another thing that is a mystery is that LA chooses to get older while trying to install an uptempo offense: Raja 36 vs Pietrus 30...

From Pietrus's agent:

"We never heard from the Lakers. There was never any interest from them. At the end of the day, Toronto was the place for him and he's happy to be there. He is going to place where he knows he's going to play and help the team and he has a high regard for Bryan Colangelo (Raptors General Manager).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm

On troy murphy, other thread is locked...

I immediately thought no thanks. But after really thinking about it, he's a nice rebounder, big body, and DEADEYE 3pt shooter. He may be the PERFECT fit for this system. If we decide to bench pau, which we should, then we'd either have to bring in hill, which would kill our spacing, or antawn, which could effect our rebounding and D. Troy murphy on the other hand doesn't give up size, AND he's a better 3pt shooter than Antawn. So he could start alogside dwight, space the floor, and rebound. And the bench could stay in tact with pau added: Blake, meeks, antawn, hill, and gasol. Plus he's dirt cheap. I hope lakers management gives this some thought...
King of Clutch

Postby streamline on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:59 pm

King of Clutch wrote:On troy murphy, other thread is locked...

I immediately thought no thanks. But after really thinking about it, he's a nice rebounder, big body, and DEADEYE 3pt shooter. He may be the PERFECT fit for this system. If we decide to bench pau, which we should, then we'd either have to bring in hill, which would kill our spacing, or antawn, which could effect our rebounding and D. Troy murphy on the other hand doesn't give up size, AND he's a better 3pt shooter than Antawn. So he could start alogside dwight, space the floor, and rebound. And the bench could stay in tact with pau added: Blake, meeks, antawn, hill, and gasol. Plus he's dirt cheap. I hope lakers management gives this some thought...

do you not remember how bad he was last year?
streamline

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm

streamline wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:On troy murphy, other thread is locked...

do you not remember how bad he was last year?

lol, I do. I also remember the bench players he was playing with and what he was expected to produce. The same expectations won't be there this time around. Hitting open 3's, which he can very well do, is all that would be expected this time around. I also remember his stroke. If he can get wide open 3s, which he can with dwight and nash, he can be a very important player for us. I don't think he fit our system the last time he was here. Basically anyone who couldn't get their own offense last year didn't produce much. It's a bit different with this team.
King of Clutch

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion