Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Blazers Likely To Part Ways With J.J. Hickson

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Blazers Likely To Part Ways With J.J. Hickson

By Jason Quick, The Oregonian

There are no hard feelings and no regrets, but it appears these are the final days that JJ Hickson and the Trail Blazers are together, with both sides acknowledging this week that the writing is on the wall.

The Blazers, who have given up the most interior points in the NBA, want to find a more defensive-oriented center next season, while Hickson - a power forward who bit his tongue and played as an undersized center for the Blazers - wants to start, and is eager to test his market value when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Blazers general manager Neil Olshey this week said he is not ruling out keeping Hickson on the roster, but he doubts the team will have the role, and the money, to pacify Hickson’s desires next season.

“For us to make a jump next season, JJ can’t be our starting center,’’ Olshey said, referencing the Blazers’ 47.4 points allowed in the paint per game, an NBA high. “I’m not saying he can’t be part of the roster. But we need to find a starting-caliber center who protects the rim and gets defensive rebounds at a high rate and that has a presence. And we have to do a better job at defending the paint. So you have to ask: Is it likely there is enough minutes to commit the kind of dollars JJ will command, when clearly there are other positions that need to be upgraded? Probably not.’’

The Blazers figure to enter the offseason with $11.8 million in cap room. A large chunk, if not all of that money, will likely be used to lure a defensive-minded starting center or to absorb the contract of a starting center in a trade. That leaves Hickson on the outside looking in when it comes to meeting his desires to find a team that can both give him chance to start as well as award him a raise from his $4 million salary this season. If he stayed in Portland, Hickson would play behind franchise player LaMarcus Aldridge, who plays close to 40 minutes a game.

Andy Miller, who represents Hickson, said Olshey hasn’t flat-out told him Hickson is not in the Blazers’ plans, but Miller said he is under the impression that the Blazers will move in a different direction than Hickson.

“I think Neil has been fairly candid to me as far as where they stand,’’ Miller said. “I don’t feel confident about the situation. Earlier in the season there may have been mood swings and perspective swings where I felt the tide swinging, to where I felt that this would be more than a rental for both sides. But lately, I haven’t felt that way at all. He definitely hasn’t misled me.’’

It figures to be a controversial decision for the Blazers. Although the 6-foot-9 Hickson was undersized for his position and often an overmatched, or unwilling defender, the fanbase embraced his high energy play and relentless pursuit of rebounds. In the process, the 24-year-old has put together a career year in his fifth season, with averages of 12.9 points and 10.6 rebounds while playing 29 minutes a game. He leads the Blazers in rebounds and field-goal percentage (.567) and ranks sixth in the NBA with 40 double-doubles.

Olshey said he realizes his decision will be met with some resistance from Miller and fans, but he said he has to take emotion out of the equation.

“I don’t think Andy necessarily agrees with it, but he sees our perspective,’’ Olshey said. “Now, he may think we are wrong - and maybe we are wrong - but at the end of the day, we are going to do what is best for the organization.’’

In the end, it was probably a win-win scenario for Hickson and the Blazers. Hickson, who was picked up off waivers last March after Sacramento released him, got an opportunity to resurrect his career, while the Blazers found a capable center to buy time for rookie Meyers Leonard to develop.

“I think JJ has had a remarkable season,’’ coach Terry Stotts said. “He showed a lot of people what he can do. The most important thing is he sustained a certain level, for the most part of the season, with his energy and his rebounding. The mid-range jump shot, I think, is the biggest area where people questioned whether he could make it, and he turned into a very capable mid-range jump shooter. And he accepted his role. I didn’t call a lot of plays for him and he found his offense through the flow of the game. Although it was frustrating at times for him he accepted it and thrived in it.’’

Hickson, who is questionable for tonight’s game against the Lakers because of a sore back, said he likes the Blazers organization and his teammates, but he understands personnel and financial decisions have to be made.

“If we part ways, it would be no hard feelings, and if we decided to stick together, it would be a great thing also,’’ Hickson said. “But at the end of the day, it’s always business. I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t miss my teammates and the organization, because they took a chance on me by picking me up off waivers. I can’t thank them enough for that. But I think I have paid my dues with all the hard work I have put in all season.’’

Hickson said having a chance to start will be at or near the top of his offseason priority list.

“That’s just me being a competitor,’’ Hickson said. “I think everyone in this league wants to start, so of course I want to start, of course I want to play a lot of minutes to help my team as much as possible. That’s definitely one of the factors going into free agency - whether I start or not. Other than that, I’m just looking to win ball games and have fun doing it.’’

Hickson is not sure it would be fun playing center again next season. He said it was difficult enough playing the position this season.

“It was hard to play center. but I took it with a grain of salt and did what I had to do for the team,’’ Hickson said. “I felt like I laid it all out on the line. I definitely was playing out of position, but I sacrificed my position for the coaching staff and my teammates to play a position that my body is not made up for. And we all knew that going into the year I was an undersized (center) and that I would have to play that much harder to make up for what I didn’t have physically.’’

The intrigue will be what Hickson commands on the free agent market. If he gets more than $5 million a year, he will probably be out of the Blazers price range. If he doesn’t, and the Blazers strike out in their free agent pursuits, there’s a chance he could return.

“All I know is JJ has earned the right to test the market,’’ Miller said. “He has put in the time and the effort to show that his game and body of work has matured. I know he has enjoyed his time in Portland, but now he gets a chance to see what else is out there.’’

--Jason Quick

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index ... il_bl.html
Kobe8Fan

Nick Young 'Trying To Get A Long-Term Contract'

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Nick Young 'Trying To Get A Long-Term Contract'

By Lang Greene
NBA Writer

The NBA’s 2013 free agent class lacks star power at the shooting guard position, but there’s quality depth for contending teams looking to reload or rebuilding franchises searching for veterans to surround their young talent. Available shooting guards include O.J. Mayo, Tyreke Evans, J.J. Redick, Randy Foye and Kevin Martin. The class could also be bolstered by Monta Ellis and J.R. Smith should they choose to decline their player options for next season.

Another name sure to attract plenty of interest is Philadelphia 76ers guard Nick Young. The sixth-year veteran has averaged 10.9 points on 36 percent shooting from three-point range this season for Philadelphia after signing a one-year deal last summer. Young has been a free agent for consecutive years, but this summer he’s making it clear that his priority is to finally lock in a long-term deal.

“I’m just trying to get a long-term contract,” Young said. “I’m just going to weigh my options and see what goes on. Free agency is crazy. I’ve been in it the last two years. I’m just hoping for the best.”

The Sixers acquired former All-Star center Andrew Bynum from the Los Angeles Lakers last summer and Young was signed by the team because of his outside shooting prowess. But Bynum, who was expected to be the franchise cornerstone, never played a game for the Sixers this season due to recurring knee issues. As a result, the Sixers have struggled throughout the campaign and a team that was just one win away from the Eastern Conference Finals a year ago is now on the outside of playoffs looking in this season.

Young believes the presence of Bynum would have dramatically shifted the Sixers’ fortunes and admitted the center’s injuries were constantly on the team’s mind throughout the year.

“I think it is in the back of everybody’s head,” Young said on Bynum’s injury woes. “Obviously he didn’t get a chance to play and touch the court, but if he did it would probably be a little different right now.

“We’re just trying to go out on top and play hard to the end. You know, it’s still a little bit of season left so we can’t give in now. Got to play until it’s over.”

While Young didn’t rule out considering a return to the Sixers next season, the guard expressed optimism about being able to go through the free agency process and evaluate his options. Young says the trade market will have a big influence on not only his situation, but the rest of his peers’ free agency value as well this summer.

“The last couple of years during my free agency we had a couple of big names traded,” Young said. “We’ll see what happens this year. We’ll see where people get traded because there’s always some big trades that pick teams up. That’s the tough part because everybody needs a team.”

Young signed with the Sixers for $5.6 million last summer after splitting the 2012 campaign with the Washington Wizards and the Los Angeles Clippers. While with the Clippers, Young got his first taste of the postseason and it would appear a playoff contender would have the inside track of securing his name on a long-term deal.

“There’s nothing like the playoffs,” Young said. “It’s the atmosphere, the TV and everybody is watching. It’s just the crowd and being in that environment is crazy.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-the-fr ... nick-young
Kobe8Fan

Mark Cuban Hopes Vince Carter Remains With Mavericks

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Mark Cuban Hopes Vince Carter Remains With Mavericks

By Eddie Sefko / Reporter
esefko@dallasnews.com

While Mark Cuban has been supremely disappointed in himself and his team about this lottery-bound season, his mood changes radically when the subject of Vince Carter comes up.

“I feel bad for Vince,” he said. “Vince is a warrior. All these things I’ve heard in the past about him being soft and not playing hard, (that’s bull). That dude comes out to deliver every night.

“I feel worse for Vince than I do for Dirk (Nowitzki). Vince hasn’t been there and he’s had two great seasons for us. And he’s just a first-class guy who busts his (tail) every game. You never look at Vince and say he’s taking a play off. I’m proud that he’s on the Mavericks. The guy lays it out every time. I can’t put it any other way. He’s one of those guys I want to retire here.”

Does that mean Carter will be with the Mavericks beyond next season, when his contract expires?

“I hope so,” Cuban said. “The current trend is, as guys get older, they lose a little weight and I think Vince is athletic enough and smart enough and genetically gifted enough that if he goes on that same Steve Nash, Dirk, Tim Duncan path, where you lose a little bit of weight every year and keep your spring, he’s a genetic freak.

“He can play for more than a year, easily. He’ll be cranking those motorcycle handles for a while.”

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/ ... rick.html/
Kobe8Fan

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby XXIV on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 pm

I wouldn't mind having someone like Nick Young coming off the bench. Yes he's streaky but we need someone who can create their own shot and can also be a threat on the fast break. We need to start getting younger and faster, we need a second unit who use their speed as a weapon similar to what we had during our back to back chips.
XXIV

Corey Brewer Hopes Nuggets Attempt To Re-Sign Him

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Corey Brewer Hopes Nuggets Attempt To Re-Sign Him

Corey Brewer hopes the Denver Nuggets make an attempt to re-sign him in the offseason.

Brewer will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end.

"You never know, but I like it here," Brewer said of his future. "Hopefully they want to keep me."

Brewer is averaging a career-best 11.8 points per game this season.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_22 ... Nuggets%29
Kobe8Fan

Jason Collins 'Definitely' Interested In Return To Celtics

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Jason Collins 'Definitely' Interested In Return To Celtics

After being the only player on the roster not to get on the floor in a 107-96 loss and sitting for the 20th time in 25 games since joining the Wizards, Jason Collins caught up with Boston Celtics Coach Doc Rivers.

Collins never wanted to leave Boston and Rivers didn’t really want to let him go, but the Celtics had to make a move to upgrade the backcourt with the team losing both Rajon Rondo and Leandro Barbosa to season-ending knee injuries.

“I understand; they understand,” Collins said on Sunday in his return to Boston. “With the injuries they had, they definitely needed another scorer. Jordan Crawford, he’s definitely capable of doing that. I was last on the list, so it’s part of the business.”

Collins declined to comment when asked if he sought a buyout in order to finish his career with a contender, but said he would “definitely” consider signing with Boston next season.

“Might put a no-trade clause in there,” joked Collins, who was thrown into the Feb. 21 deadline deal, along with Barbosa, after Chris Wilcox refused to forfeit his Bird rights to facilitate the deal. “What an honor it was to play for a great organization that has so much history. Great group of guys in that locker room. The leadership with Doc, [Kevin Garnett] and [Paul] Pierce. Nothing but good memories.”

Rivers certainly valued Collins’s contributions to the Celtics, even if the statistics didn’t show that he made much of a difference. “He’s the best,” Rivers said of Collins. “I’ve said it before, but he’s one of the best guys I’ve ever had in a locker room, player or coach. It’s funny. I didn’t know him very well before he came here. But the two twins, I used to call them the same name: Jason. Because I didn’t know which one was which. He’s just a good guy and what he says is the truth.”

The Wizards are 14-11 since making the trade, while the Celtics have gone 11-11, but Collins is disappointed that he will miss out on the postseason for just the third time in his 12-year career. While admitting that his stint his Washington has tested him professionally, Collins added that has learned from his experience.

“It’s sort of the business side of the NBA. It’s my job to go out there and do my job and be ready when my name and number is called, regardless of what team I am playing for,” Collins said. “I’ve been on successful teams pretty much my whole career, but even those two seasons I finished with Memphis and Minnesota, you learn just as much from adversity and losses as you do from success.”

Rivers added that he wouldn’t mind having Collins back in Boston: “I would love to have him all the time.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... to-boston/
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Mark Cuban Expects Dirk To Maintain Current Level Of Play For At Least Three More Seasons

The golden rule in the era of salary caps is don’t pay age.

Especially in baseball and basketball, where the contracts are guaranteed. You don’t want to get stuck with a big note on an aging player. That handcuffs a franchise financially. Ask Jerry Jones.

Dirk Nowitzki is just such a player. He turns 35 in June, and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban must write him checks totaling $22.7 million for next season, the final year of his contract.

Cuban will write those checks with a smile — and intends to write checks to Nowitzki for future seasons as well. Cuban lives to defy conventional logic. He doesn’t see the window closing any time soon on Nowitzki as a potential cornerstone piece of a championship team.

“It’s a different world now,” Cuban said. “Look at Tim Duncan. Kevin Garnett, Kobe, Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce … You’ve got guys with the technology to stay healthy longer. The science of dieting … it’s completely different now.”

Dirk isn’t playing like a 34-year-old. He’s had five double-doubles in the last month and has helped fuel a 6-2 charge in March that has revived the franchise’s flagging playoff hopes.

Nowitzki scored 20 against Brooklyn, 22 against Houston and 19 against Milwaukee during that stretch, all victories. He also had back-to-back 11-rebound games this week against Milwaukee and San Antonio and grabbed 11 more in Friday night’s 96-86 victory over Cleveland.

“Dirk is dialed in,” Cuban said. “He wants to see how far we can take this. What we’re seeing now from Dirk is what we can expect to see from him next year … and the year after that … and the year after that. At least.”

Cuban’s had a hand in his franchise’s fountain of youth. When he bought the Mavericks, Cuban brought in nutritionists and started providing meals for his team. Take care of your body, was his message, and it will take care of you.

Players are more attuned now to what they put in their bodies and how they care for those bodies. That’s slowed down the aging process in all sports. Jaromir Jagr leads the Stars in scoring this season at age 40.

“Now you’ve got guys going gluten-free and understanding the impact of a diet,” Cuban said. “Dirk won’t touch fried foods during the season. They’re doing the right type of exercises. Elton [Brand] uses the stim machine [a muscle stimulator] before every game.”

Duncan powered the San Antonio Spurs to a victory over the Mavericks just the other night with a 28-point, 19-rebound effort. He sure didn’t play like someone who is turning 37 in April. Garnett turns 36 in May. Pierce is 35 this season, Bryant 34 and Gasol 32.

“Is Kevin Garnett a role player?” Cuban asked. “Is Tim Duncan a role player? Do you think those guys are going to be role players next year?”

Vince Carter is the sixth man on the Mavericks but has played the third-most minutes on the team this season. He poured in 22 points against Minnesota and 23 against Milwaukee in victories this week. He’s no role player for the Mavericks — and he’s 36.

“Thirty-six is the new 30,” Cuban said. “It’s a plus-six right now. Ten years from now it will be a plus-10. Guys that are coming out of college now will be playing at 42 and 43 if they’re good.

“Look at Vince, for gosh sakes. What’s he … 93? [Actually] 36? That’s a plus-two on Dirk. It’s just different now.”

Still, Nowitzki is an exception. So are Duncan and Bryant. The great ones always are. You still need a blend of experience and youth to play into June in the NBA.

Cuban believes he has the experience in place with Nowitzki. Now he needs to surround him with youthful energy, legs and talent to maximize what Nowitzki can still offer.

Cuban will need to do more than just sign checks for Dirk in the future. He’ll need to put a team around Nowitzki so that all those millions don’t go to waste. Maybe Dirk can play a long time. But he can’t play forever.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/column ... -stars.ece
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Dirk Wants To Finish Career With Mavericks, Still Wants To Contend

There is no bitter expression hidden underneath Dirk Nowitzki's mangy beard. No covert biting of the tongue, either.

The Dallas Mavericks star may have been critical of his owner's approach in the past, back when the wounds of Mark Cuban's cold and calculated roster-building ways were still fresh. But as Nowitzki nears the end of this memorable stretch of 12 consecutive postseason berths and ponders his future, the future Hall of Famer who vowed not to shave until his team reached the .500 mark swears he's not still upset about the way Cuban broke up the 2010-11 championship team and ushered in all this mediocrity.

But if nothing has changed by next season, if the Mavericks' imperfect-but-prudent plan to counteract the league's harsh new collective bargaining agreement backfires because they aren't able to land an impactful free agent this summer and return to the elite level during the twilight of Nowitzki's career? Might Nowitzki — who will be a free agent in the summer of 2014 — considering retiring in a jersey other than the Mavs' one he has always worn?

"Now that I already reached my goal (of winning it all), I really want to finish my career in Dallas," Nowitzki told USA TODAY Sports recently. "But saying all that, I don't want another year next year with the same as this year, (with) the frustration and playing for the eight or nine seed. I think we all know that this is a very big summer for us. (Mavericks general manager) Donnie (Nelson) knows. Cuban knows. We want to get back to the championship level."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... n/2060619/
Kobe8Fan

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 pm

OJ is gonna get way more than we can offer, & we can't get players in sign & trades anymore. Didn't we have a chance to get him for Josh McRoberts & a 1st at 1 point? Wow what a different season it would have been.

The guy that stands out to me is Corey Brewer. Great defender good playing the break both ways, streaky from 3 but always seems to knock them down against us. He's exactly the type of player that kills us because he's the type of player we lack. I don't know if he's pipe for the mini MLE but he'd be a great SF for us.

Vince could be a good backup wing for cheap. I still like his game alot.
lakersin4

Sources: Hornets Could Look To Trade Eric Gordon This Summer

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Sources: Hornets Could Look To Trade Eric Gordon This Summer

In three seasons, New Orleans Hornets Coach Monty Williams has never verbally lashed out at one of his players in front of fans during a game. But in a heat of the moment situation Friday night at EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City against the Utah Jazz, Williams apparently got into a shouting match with starting shooting guard Eric Gordon during a timeout with 8:47 remaining in the third quarter.

The blowup came after a stretch when Gordon committed turnovers on two of the Hornets’ four possessions in the quarter and didn’t appear to hustle back in transition defensively on a possession that ended with forward Paul Millsap scoring on a layup after Anthony Davis blocked Randy Foye’s shot attempt.

After Williams hastily called a timeout with his team trailing the Jazz 57-49, he shouted in Gordon’s direction. NBA.com reported that Williams had to be held back by assistant coach Randy Ayers after Gordon hollered back at him when the team went to the bench.

Williams could not be reached for comment Saturday, and the Hornets said they had nothing to say regarding the matter.

In explaining why he didn’t play Gordon after the third-quarter flare up, Williams said after Friday night’s game they simply decided to go in a different direction.

"We needed a little bit more effort getting off those screens,’’ Williams said.

Gordon sat at the end of the bench, but appeared engaged during timeouts. But after the game, Gordon appeared to be puzzled about getting benched. He also made no mention of the shouting match.

He finished with seven points on two-of-three shooting, playing just more than 17 minutes. It was the Hornets’ eighth consecutive loss on the road.

"There was nothing wrong physically, it was just his decision to take me out of the game,’’ said Gordon, who remains on strict restrictions by team doctors to not play in the second game of back-to-back sets.

"I thought we were (in a good flow). You always make adjustments throughout the game. We're down at halftime by two points, and two or three possessions (in the third quarter), I'm out of there. I'd love to figure (it) out. You always want to do what's best for the team. Since he took me out, he took me out. I definitely wanted to be out there for sure.’’

The Hornets won't announce their lineup for Sunday's game against the Phoenix Suns until about 90 minutes before tip-off, but Gordon is likely to return to his starting role.

Although he is the Hornets’ leading scorer with a 16.5 average with six games left in the regular season, the Hornets’ fan base continues to have a difficult time embracing Gordon, who was acquired in December 2011 in a blockbuster trade from the Los Angeles Clippers that involved former Hornets guard Chris Paul.

A majority of fans in New Orleans have not forgotten the comments Gordon made last summer after he became a restricted free agent and agreed to a four-year, $58 million offer sheet with the Suns, which the Hornets matched even though Gordon said his "heart was in Phoenix."

The Hornets were unable to pull off a trade involving Gordon before the February trade deadline, but the franchise is still likely to remain open to trading him after this season ends, according to sources Saturday.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2 ... ic_67.html
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Sat May 04, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Hedo Turkoglu Wants To Return To Magic Next Season

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Hedo Turkoglu Wants To Return To Magic Next Season

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — SF Hedo Turkoglu said he wants to remain with the Magic next season even though the club already has effectively removed him — and Al Harrington — from its future plans.

"I would like to keep playing here," Turkoglu said after the Magic's shootaround Wednesday. "I was here more years than anywhere in my career."

Turkoglu was eligible to return for the Magic's game Wednesday night in Charlotte after he served a 20-game suspension for testing positive for steroids.

The Magic aren't expecting to play Turk and Harrington the rest of the season, giving time to younger players.

Coach Jacque Vaughn planned on playing just eight players against the Bobcats. Asked if injuries or players fouling out would present a situation where Turk or Harrington would be needed, Vaughn said, "If they're in uniform, they are capable of playing."

Added Vaughn: "What I'll say right now is I'm comfortable playing the guys that have been playing. Al and Turk have been great for us as far as their contribution to our team, in the locker room, teaching our young fellas.

"Right now, I'm more comfortable playing the guys in the rotation."

There are, of course, 12 million reasons why Turkoglu would love to stay in Orlando and play next season.

The Magic would owe him the entire $12 million in the final year of his contract next year. Because his contract is not guaranteed, the Magic can pay just $6 million and let him go.

Turk has played seven-plus seasons in Orlando, making stops in Toronto and in Phoenix before returning to the Magic late in 2010 in a multi-player trade.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... ?track=rss
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Sat May 04, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 pm

^ If Orlando decides to save that 6M & cut Hedo he'd be a great pickup on the cheap. Are him & Dwight friends? Hedo is a good player he's just been overpaid.
lakersin4

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:01 pm

lakersin4 wrote:^ If Orlando decides to save that 6M & cut Hedo he'd be a great pickup on the cheap. Are him & Dwight friends? Hedo is a good player he's just been overpaid.

Hedo said himself that he and Dwight are still friends.
Kobe8Fan

Postby karacha on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 am

As far as I know, Hedo and Dwight are good friends. Turkoglu can still be a 11/4/3 player when he comes back and he's a smart player who can facilitate and shoot. But, he is also old and would be a good veteran for us only if he is willing to sign a cheap contract.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:05 am

karacha wrote:As far as I know, Hedo and Dwight are good friends. Turkoglu can still be a 11/4/3 player when he comes back and he's a smart player who can facilitate and shoot. But, he is also old and would be a good veteran for us only if he is willing to sign a cheap contract.

Agreed.
What has he been up to this season? All I know is that he got caught juicing :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby OX1947 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Lakers need two legit position filled. A legit 3 point threat who HITS OPEN SHOTS. And a back up to Kobe. A back up that is happy to be a back up and can give 10 points off the bench every night. Lakers are good everywhere else.
OX1947

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:39 am

^ We need an athletic YOUNG defensive minded 3, as well as a PASS FIRST shoot second YOUNG point guard, who can also knock down shots consistently from the outside. Then we'd be pretty much set.
LAKEROC

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:14 pm

The Suns just fired their GM and it doesn't look like Hunter is coming back. Hopefully the new GM and coach want Pau. The Suns have a lot of players that we could use.

Frye/Beasley/Dudley/ShanWow/Scola

Frye/Beasley/Dudley would be awesome, but the FO would never do it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Doc Brown wrote:The Suns just fired their GM and it doesn't look like Hunter is coming back. Hopefully the new GM and coach want Pau. The Suns have a lot of players that we could use.

Frye/Beasley/Dudley/ShanWow/Scola

Frye/Beasley/Dudley would be awesome, but the FO would never do it.

Pho would have to pay us to take Beasley, I never seen a player wear out his welcome as quickly as Beasley has.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Shannon and Gortat complained a lot this season as well. Beasley has had his problems in the past, but it doesn't mean he was problem in this situation.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Shannon and Gortat complained a lot this season as well. Beasley has had his problems in the past, but it doesn't mean he was problem in this situation.

I'm not talking bout players complaining, talking bout coaches/front office complaining about Beasly, there's been multiple reports over the season of the distraction that Beasly caues. Shannon didn't complained, his name came up cause he stopped getting PT after Hunter took over and based on his response I saw nothing of the complaining sort, he responded pretty much "it is what it is"
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 am

^ Dude he said he was sick of getting lied to. Sounds like complaining to me.

From that team I'd take Goran Dragic, Wesley Johnson, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Shannon Brown, and Michael Beasley. In that order.

In fact let's send them Gasol/Nash for Gortat/Gragic/Johnson (re-signed)/Dudley

Aw yeah.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 am

^^^Lakers can't take incoming player via S&T, even sending out that much salary the incoming will put them over the $4mill threhold over luxury line.
khmrP

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Dude he said he was sick of getting lied to. Sounds like complaining to me.

From that team I'd take Goran Dragic, Wesley Johnson, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Shannon Brown, and Michael Beasley. In that order.

In fact let's send them Gasol/Nash for Gortat/Gragic/Johnson (re-signed)/Dudley

Aw yeah.

I'd take that, even without Wes since he can't be included. Dragic & Dudley are instant upgrades at positions where we need it. Not too crazy about seeing Gortat/D12 frontlines out there, I think we'd ship him to a 3rd team for young depth & a 1st. With Hill back next season he'd likely get the backup C minutes if Pau goes out. Wouldn't doubt if we take Shannon also to chuck while Kobe's out.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 am

Guys it was a joke... I know we can't sign and trade and that trade is ridiculous for Phoenix.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion