Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby last stand on Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 am

I hate matt barnes. Stay on the clippers
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 am

If the Lakers can get Barnes and maybe add another back-up SG like Foye or CJ Watson it would be a solid additions to the bench... but the Lakers must get rid of the other scrubs on the bench first.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu May 09, 2013 8:38 am

I'm not sure Barnes is really going to help much. I think we should be focusing all our efforts at trading Nash to free up that 9 million in 2014, and getting a young pg like DJ Augustin or maybe Darren Collison. I still think he can play and might flourish in D'Antoni's system.

I do like Nash. I'm not blaming him for his injuries. He's a warrior. But I don't want a gimpy Steve Nash to be the reason we can't sign a good supporting piece in 2014.
Savory Griddles

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 am

JGC wrote:Personally, I don't think Kobe+Dwight can get it done anymore unless you have the perfect group of role players around them. Dwight doesn't step up enough for a #2, and Kobe is just too old to run the offense through him nearly every possession (IMO). You have to have another player who can take the pressure off of Kobe and then he has to be willing to defer which still hasn't happened yet. (And by defer, I mean, defer on some possessions, not concede his role as leader).

I think it would be good to add some cheap role players, give it another shot, and start the re-tooling process in 2014.

Personally, I don't think Kobe is that Important to the Lakers, anymore... especially coming off a Torn Ach surgery.... the expectations on Kobe next year will not have much weight... because he's most likely gonna average 12-15PPG most likely... so by next year everyone should hope that Howard is ready to be the #1 option... if not... we are gonna be Lottery-bound... which is why I'm hoping that the Lakers have a plan to trade Gasol for a star wing player... or good rotational players.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Doc Brown on Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 am

Kobe isn't important to the Lakers anymore?

Alright what board did you get banned from before, so I can talk to the mods there and see if they can give you a second chance.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu May 09, 2013 8:59 am

By the way guys, this whole retooling process in 2014 isn't going to be all that spectacular. The only way it works out for us is if Lebron opts out of his contract. Bosh, Wade and Carmelo can also opt out, but are any of those three going to put us over the top paired with (maybe) Dwight? And I see no way that Carmelo or Wade leave their respective teams.

Other than those guys all the other free agents are well past their prime (Kobe, Dirk, Gasol, Granger) or are second tier stars like Rudy Gay.

This is why I really don't think the Dwight signing thing is such a slam dunk. Short of Lebron opting out and signing with the Lakers, there is no way we will be able to put a complementary piece with him anywhere near the skill of Harden.
Savory Griddles

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 am

I'm talking in a statistical sense that he's not Important anymore, but as a Leader? Absolutely..... he's not gonna carry the team as he used to...
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 am

:man10:

12-15 ppg? The man can do that in his sleep. Please.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 am

So you do have hope that he's gonna successfully gonna come from the torn ach???? I hope so.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 am

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:So you do have hope that he's gonna successfully gonna come from the torn ach???? I hope so.

There's been multiple athletes who have had successful torn achilles surgery in their later stages in there career and still perform.

Most notably for basketball, Dominique Wilkins.

Even seemingly favorable comparisons don't paint a very encouraging picture for Kobe, who's 34 years old. The experience of Dominique Wilkins—who ruptured his Achilles in the 1991-1992 season, at age 32, and came back to average 30 points the following year—has been invoked several times over the past few days. Wilkins was also an aging, athletic slasher, and he came back to play at an All-Star level for four more years, and at a high level for two more after that. It's an encouraging comp for Kobe fans. Except: It's not, really.

At the time of his injury, Dominique had played 27,482 minutes over 10 seasons (playoffs included). Kobe, now in his 17th year, has logged 54,041 minutes. He's just two years older than Wilkins was at the time of his injury, but he has twice as much pro basketball mileage on his legs. And that doesn't even take into account Kobe's slogs through international competition (another 37 games started).

Isiah Thomas' career ended on a similar injury, played more than Dominique, and was also a smaller player.

I'm not a doctor, and I'm not Kobe. So I can't say what kind of recovery Kobe will actually have.

But just knowing the will and strength of a player like Kobe, I doubt he's going down without a fight. The man has broken fingers, noses, ankles, knee procedures and still does the things he did when he came into the league, if not better.

#pray4bear
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Phil XI on Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 am

Savory Griddles wrote:By the way guys, this whole retooling process in 2014 isn't going to be all that spectacular. The only way it works out for us is if Lebron opts out of his contract. Bosh, Wade and Carmelo can also opt out, but are any of those three going to put us over the top paired with (maybe) Dwight? And I see no way that Carmelo or Wade leave their respective teams.

Other than those guys all the other free agents are well past their prime (Kobe, Dirk, Gasol, Granger) or are second tier stars like Rudy Gay.

This is why I really don't think the Dwight signing thing is such a slam dunk. Short of Lebron opting out and signing with the Lakers, there is no way we will be able to put a complementary piece with him anywhere near the skill of Harden.

Lebron is the only UFA that I'd be interested in. Paul George and John Wall are RFA's that LA should throw an offer sheet at in Lebron doesn't opt out or doesn't come. That's is it. Otherwise, save most of the $ for 2015 and Love, and use a bit of '14 money on a few role players like Mayo/Thabo, and keep Kobe for another year if interested.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Weezy on Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 am

I don't want Barnes back. As soon as he gets here he'll get inured or start missing most of his wide open 3's again, no thanks.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu May 09, 2013 10:17 am

If we have Kobe (lets say the 18 ppg version of himself) + Howard + 2 above average players + Hill + Clark + 2014 draft pick I think we should be able to compete for a title

Howard
Stretch 4
Luol Deng or Granger or Iggy (I hope he opts in for 2013/2014)
Kobe
Vasquez

Backups

Hill, Clark, 2014 draft pick probably a shooter + backups CJ Miles + Stuckey (or some 2014 FA who are gonna be squeezed out because of the market)

This type of team should be able to compete for a title.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 am

That team looks real solid, Rock.... but I don't think it's realistic.... unless there is some master plan we don't know about.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 am

The Rock wrote:If we have Kobe (lets say the 18 ppg version of himself) + Howard + 2 above average players + Hill + Clark + 2014 draft pick I think we should be able to compete for a title

Howard
Stretch 4
Luol Deng or Granger or Iggy (I hope he opts in for 2013/2014)
Kobe
Vasquez

Backups

Hill, Clark, 2014 draft pick probably a shooter + backups CJ Miles + Stuckey (or some 2014 FA who are gonna be squeezed out because of the market)

This type of team should be able to compete for a title.

How did we get Vasquez? I don't see the Pelicans letting him go.
Savory Griddles

Postby The Rock on Thu May 09, 2013 1:53 pm

^ Hes not an All star but he's above average sort of like a younger Jose Calderon. I think they'd rather let him go than pay $10mil/yr to someone who's probably not gonna help them get to the playoffs. They're already stuck with Eric Gordon's albatross contract which they sorely regret

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Armani on Thu May 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Vasquez's duties would be limited here... he's a great passer, and Kobe will be handling the ball most of the time. Nash's play towards the 2nd half of the season is more of what we need... just a money shooter that has the ability to dish the rock every once in a while.

The Lakers tried to get George Hill during the draft, but the Spurs stole him from us... if there's any way we could get him, he would be pretty solid there.

Gasol + Something for Granger + George Hill

Hill
Kobe
Granger
Insert Stretch 4 here, Possibly an FA signing for MLE?
Dwight

Indy obviously wouldn't do that deal.... but if they would, this lineup works out pretty well for us, IMO. Bring Nash, Clark, MWP and Hill of the bench. We might get back into contention.
Armani

Postby lakersin4 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Armani wrote:Vasquez's duties would be limited here... he's a great passer, and Kobe will be handling the ball most of the time. Nash's play towards the 2nd half of the season is more of what we need... just a money shooter that has the ability to dish the rock every once in a while.

The Lakers tried to get George Hill during the draft, but the Spurs stole him from us... if there's any way we could get him, he would be pretty solid there.

Gasol + Something for Granger + George Hill

Hill
Kobe
Granger
Insert Stretch 4 here, Possibly an FA signing for MLE?
Dwight

Indy obviously wouldn't do that deal.... but if they would, this lineup works out pretty well for us, IMO. Bring Nash, Clark, MWP and Hill of the bench. We might get back into contention.

Maybe they bite on that if they're high on Nash & we throw him in too.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Watching this GS/SA game.. They would be so much better with a real post threat to go with all those shooters. I really like the idea of Pau for a couple of their players. Lee is a downgrade from Pau but if we can get Jack & Green included & dump Blake, we win that trade. Jack gives us a real leader on the 2nd unit & Green could hopefully be our future SF.
lakersin4

Postby bnr034 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Since Mike Brown is coach of the Cavs... Could we trade D morris to the Cavs??? you know its all about the length :man11: :man10:
bnr034

Brandon Roy To Be Released By Timberwolves

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Brandon Roy To Be Released By Timberwolves

By Adrian Wojnarowski

The Minnesota Timberwolves are formalizing the release of Brandon Roy, ridding themselves of the $5.3 million owed him in the 2013-14 season, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

An announcement is expected in the near future.

After seven career knee surgeries for Roy, this is likely the end of a career once destined for greatness.

Roy's two-year contract allows for the franchise to cut him if his chronically injured knees are no longer playable. Roy played five games for the Wolves this season.

Minnesota's new general manager, Flip Saunders, inherited Roy from his predecessor, David Kahn. One of the final downfalls of Kahn's failed run as GM was the two-year, $10.4 million deal with Roy. Minnesota guaranteed Roy his $5.1 million salary in the 2012-13 season, despite little examination of his troubled knees, sources said.

Roy, 28, started the T'wolves' first five games of the 2012-13 season, but never recovered from a mid-November knee procedure. Roy was the 2007 NBA Rookie of the Year with the Portland Trail Blazers and a three-time All-Star.

Knee injuries with Portland eventually led the franchise to use the league's amnesty clause to remove the balance of his near-max contract in 2011.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--timbe ... 49946.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri May 10, 2013 11:11 pm

J.J. Redick Values Winning, Financial Future In Free Agency

J.J. Redick will be a free agent this summer and he figures to cash in with the market being down.

The Milwaukee Bucks, who acquired Redick from the Orlando Magic in February, have cap space and have told the shooter that they hope to have him over the long-term.

Redick could land a contract worth $8 million annually over four or five years.

"I think for any player sometimes, if the money is so different between offers, you go with the money," Redick said frankly. "You secure you and your family's financial future. But there's other things, for sure."

Redick, headed to the playoffs with the Bucks, wants to win as well.

"Hypothetically, if there were multiple offers, I think you just have to value things out," he said. "You do put a value on winning. You put a value on peace, the situation, the organization, who the coach is, who your teammates are. Then, of course, the money – that's another factor you have to weigh."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... ?track=rss
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri May 10, 2013 11:13 pm

J.J. Redick Plans To Consult With Mike Krzyzewski On Free Agency Decision

ANDREW GRUMAN |
Published: Thursday, May 09, 2013

ST. FRANCIS, Wis. -- J.J. Redick was brought to Milwaukee to help the Bucks climb out of the eighth spot and possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

While Redick certainly isn't to blame for the disappointing end to Milwaukee's season, the veteran shooting guard never found his shooting touch and never really fit in with the rest of the Bucks roster.

Acquired from Orlando at the trade deadline along with Ish Smith and Gustavo Ayon in exchange for Tobias Harris, Beno Udrih and Doron Lamb, Redick shot just 31.8 percent from beyond the arc with the Bucks, a big dip from his 39.0 career average.

There was a feeling that it was only a matter of time before Redick broke out - or at least had one of his can't-miss games - but it never happened. Milwaukee lost 15 of its last 21 games, went just 12-17 after the Feb. 21 trade and was swept by the Heat in the first round of the playoffs.

"I think you learn something from every situation," Redick said of his time with the Bucks. "I think it was a great, great learning experience. I'm a Christian, so my faith is a big part of my life and how I view the world and how I view things. I think that God doesn't want us to be complacent. I'm a believer in that. Often times we are placed in challenging situations or what we thought we were comfortable is now we are placed in a situation where we are playing catch up. It's all an opportunity to get better. I will reflect and learn and get better this summer."

Why was the move to Milwaukee such a challenging situation for Redick?

"Just being on a new team and coming to a team where guys were comfortable in their roles and now you are placed 54 games into the season," Redick said. "You have to adjust on the fly because you are comfortable doing one thing. It's a lot of adjustments. Basketball is basketball but chemistry is obviously an important part of playing."

A reason for Redick's inconsistent play with the Bucks could have been his inconsistent minutes. The reason for his inconsistent minutes also could have been his inconsistent play, but former Bucks coach Jim Boylan was faced with the challenge of finding enough playing time to keep Brandon Jennings, Monta Ellis, Redick and Mike Dunleavy happy, while trying to find a lineup that could win games.

When all was said and done, Redick only played 2.8 less minutes per game in Milwaukee than he did in Orlando, but the constant changing of the rotation never allowed him to get into a groove.

"It ended up being four guards," Redick said. "If you just looked at our roster it was Monta and Brandon being similar and Mike and I being similar. There were four guys for two spots. It was a challenge for Jim to try and figure that out and for the players game in and game out not knowing things."

While the new-look roster never gelled, Redick knows he didn't play as well as he would have liked in the time he was on the floor. As a player who is quick to analyze what he could have done better to help the team, Redick admitted soon after the trade that he was brought in to help the Bucks improve their playoff positioning.

Going from one of the worst teams in the league in Orlando to a team with two scoring guards, Redick's scoring numbers were expected to dip. But the shooting numbers dropping was unexpected.

"I felt like it was a bit of an uphill battle at times," Redick said. "Again, I'm a self-critic first. When I look back this summer at where I want to get better at there will be some things, even shooting-wise, that I feel like I can get better at."

In the playoffs, Redick minutes dropped to just 17.3 per game, and he averaged just 7.3 points per game. Redick played just eight minutes in Milwaukee's Game 2 loss in Miami and said later in the playoffs that he hadn't spoke to Boylan since the end of the regular season.

Redick admitted he did have a conversation with Boylan the morning after the Game 2 loss and told the coach he understood what went on and that him sitting was a non-issue.

Unrestricted free agency is an exciting time for a player who has spent the majority of his career with one team. The Bucks will certainly show interest in Redick this offseason, but also have Jennings, Ellis and Dunleavy as free agents, as well.

Redick will spend the offseason living in Austin, Texas while training at the University of Texas as he explores his options for the future.

"I don't take anything for granted," Redick said. "If I have one option or four options this summer, I'll be excited about anything. I feel blessed that I made it through my seventh year, and I'm healthy and in one piece. I'm excited about the future. It's probably my only chance to be unrestricted during the prime of my career. It's exciting."

As somebody who likes to keep a tight inner circle, Redick plans to consult with Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, former Duke assistant and current Northwestern coach Chris Collins along with his wife and parents before he makes a decision.

Though the frustrations with how he fit in his time with the Bucks this season are evident, Redick could still end up back in Milwaukee next season if the fit is better this time around.

"Looking at our roster we had a lot of good pieces," Redick said. "Going forward the Bucks have some really nice pieces."

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/nba/m ... eedID=5066
Kobe8Fan

Nuggets Confident Of Chances To Re-Sign Andre Iguodala

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Nuggets Confident Of Chances To Re-Sign Andre Iguodala

Andre Iguodala will be a free agent this offseason, making his situation the biggest priority for the Denver Nuggets to resolve.

Iguodala was acquired by the Nuggets last August in a four-team trade.

“Andre was a great fit, we felt,” general manager Masai Ujiri said. “He brings every aspect of the game to the table, be it defending, passing, leadership and scoring sometimes. For us, he grew with the team. I think he saw that. He’s a good priority for us. We’re definitely excited and I think Andre was excited the way he gelled with the team. We’ve had good conversations with him and we’ll continue to have those conversations. We feel confident. We feel confident with where generally everything is.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/201 ... bout/8813/
Kobe8Fan

Masai Ujiri 'Optimistic' Andre Iguodala Will Return To Nugge

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri May 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Masai Ujiri 'Optimistic' Andre Iguodala Will Return To Nuggets

Benjamin Hochman ‏@nuggetsnews 9 May

Ujiri on Iguodala possibly returning to Nuggets: “I’m very optimistic that things will go well. … We want him back.”

https://twitter.com/nuggetsnews/status/ ... 4172873728
Kobe8Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion