Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby khmrP on Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 am

Weezy wrote:Really? As long as I've seen him I feel like he's played PG or SG, and he's only 6'7 and not the biggest guy, so he seems a little undersized. And again, he's 31, so we'd be staying just as old, he's not what I'd call athletic either. I guess he can shoot, but to me he seems like Barnes with less hustle.

he's better than Barnes and more duche like too.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 am

Garcia would be a perfect fit for this team, heck even as a starter

Heres how he did in the playoffs: 10.7 points, 3.3 rebs, 1.5 asssists in 27 mins. 44% FG, 46% from 3s in 27 minutes. He's only 31 and has a ton of gas left in him as his Kings haven't been to the playoffs. He can shoot 3s and play above adequate defense. Hes pretty much in the Shane Battier mold, only thing is he cant guard PF's like Battier can sometimes

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am

Center Court wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Please no to Omri Casspi. 'You guys thought Sessions folded under pressure. Casspi your right tries really hard but I have never seen him come up big in pressured situations. The bright lights of LA and the expectations here would eat him up.

What pressure have you seen him under?

Casspi is feisty, big, long, defends VERY well, brings intensity and is decent at hitting the open shot.

Vet Min- YES PLEASE.

The one thing this free agent class has is plenty of quality wing bench players. All for different reasons but all good. C Brewer, R Brewer, Morrow, Wright, Garcia, Casspi, James Johnson, Henry, Aminu, Wes Johnson, Budinger, Dunleav, Foye.

All would be good fits for different reasons. Max those guys (some) will the the MLE, most a portion, and some minimum.

Doesn't mean that they become the savior of our team, but they become part of a team this is severely lacking in that category: shooting, youth, energy, defense, and athleticism.

This off seaoson comes down to trade options. Unless Korver or Jack want to sign here for cheap, free agency alone isn't going to drastically improve us. What can Pau bring back? Does Blake have any value? Do we trade Jordan Hill and replace him with cheap vets like Turiaf?

Didn't know Budinger was available.. He moves to the top of the list with Corey Brewer. We also really need a guy like Foye but no way we get all 3. That'd be the ideal offseason if we keep the core intact.
lakersin4

Postby gcclaker on Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

Garcia is a better shooter but Barnes edges him when it comes to slashing, cutting and picking up garbage points. The latter has a better motor where the opposing defense has to account for him. From what I've seen of him, Garcia is more of a perimeter player.

Budinger would be a good fit with his overall game though I am not sure if he's affordable. Brewer is a pipe dream. He'll likley re-up with Denver.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 13, 2013 11:15 am

We really need to cash in on Duhon's non-guaranteed deal and ship him to some team that has an extra body they don't feel like playing.

Get a wing with the mini-MLE and be aggressive in recruiting when it comes to getting someone here on the minimum.

If we could somehow come out of this offseason with 3 perimeter players we should be in good shape.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 am

Doc Brown wrote:We really need to cash in on Duhon's non-guaranteed deal and ship him to some team that has an extra body they don't feel like playing.

Get a wing with the mini-MLE and be aggressive in recruiting when it comes to getting someone here on the minimum.

If we could somehow come out of this offseason with 3 perimeter players we should be in good shape.

Blake's value is probably as high as it'll ever be right now as well.. If we can get a decent backup PG I wouldn't mind shipping them both out. If we're going to attempt to save money, do it at the expense of those most easily replaced.. There's a million good backup PG's in the league today.
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 11:23 am

If not Corey Brewer then Ronnie Brewer? haha All D no O

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby nluna75 on Mon May 13, 2013 11:43 am

I know we don't have even a punchers chance to get Chris Paul but Simmons in his most recent article for Grantland had this minor little hope nugget.......

13.Don't rule out Chris Paul becoming a Laker next year. Here's how they could pull it off: If they amnestied Kobe Bryant, then traded Pau Gasol to Houston for a dirt-cheap salary (say, Donatas Motiejunas), they'd suddenly be lopping close to $49 million off next year's cap, leaving them with commitments to Metta World Peace, Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Chris Duhon, Jordan Hill, and Gasol's cheap replacement for less than $30 million. That's more than enough to sign Chris Paul and re-sign Dwight Howard if they took a little less … which they might, since it's the Lakers and all

It's always fun to think about how we can get this superstar or that star but his little note got me thinking and somehow I ended up on this reddit faq about Paul joining the Lakers. There are no rumors or anything like that but it has the Lakers salary cap breakdown, the NBA salary cap and various other NBA/CBA nuances all in one tidy faq. Give it look if you have some time. I found interesting but hopeful to see our cap situation in 2014.
nluna75

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 am

Nah we aint amnestying Kobe and Houston sure as hell ain't trading for Pau when they can get better players + keep the cheap salaried guy like Montiejunas

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Center Court on Mon May 13, 2013 11:54 am

The only way the Lakers would ever amnesty Kobe is IF he decided he could not play next year and pubcly supported the franchise in amnestying him.

Jimbo is already on a short lease with fans and axing Kobe would incite a riot.

Seeing how Kobe has on multiple occasions made statements about not getting amnestied, I doubt he has ANY plans of doing so.
Center Court

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon May 13, 2013 12:13 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:Garcia hasn't played close to a full season in 5-6 years

yeah because he's been stuck on a bench, not because of injuries from what I remember
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 pm

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/334026355090014208

NBA sources: Rockets will not pick up the 2013-14 team option on Francisco Garcia's contract which is worth $6,400,000.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm

If Garcia would sign here for cheap I would take him, I've always liked his game. I'd love to go after Budinger, Wright, CJ Watson, guys like that.

As for Omri Casspi, to the poster who said he hasn't come up big in pressure situations, when has he had the opportunity? He's been in the league 4 seasons, never been to the playoffs. From what I remember about him he was a gamer, he always got up to play us and go against Kobe, I would take a chance on him for cheap as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon May 13, 2013 6:11 pm

As long as we have Pau around we aren't doing anything next year

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon May 13, 2013 7:45 pm

I like Garcia too but seems to be injury prone the last few years.
D.B. Cooper

Postby lakersin4 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 pm

If OKC loses this series, maybe they're interested in S&T Dwight for WB & Ibaka. One of few Dwight trades that makes sense for us. Westbrook can exist with Kobe just like he does with Durant. More of a 1A 1B situation than we have with Dwight. Ibaka compliments Pau perfectly.
lakersin4

Postby dj vitus on Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Can't do S&T since we are over the $70M luxury tax cap. New CBA rules. :man5:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby lakersin4 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 pm

dj vitus wrote:Can't do S&T since we are over the $70M luxury tax cap. New CBA rules. :man5:

We can send players out via S&T to teams below the tax, we just can't receive players via S&T because we're taxpayers.
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 11:23 pm

A free agent becomes be restricted when their team issues a Qualifying Offer. Only players coming off a first-round rookie scale contract or with three or fewer years in the league (whose rookie scale options were not declined) are eligible. Teams need to officially issue that Offer by June 30, 2013, to make a player restricted..

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby khmrP on Tue May 14, 2013 8:08 am

lakersin4 wrote:If OKC loses this series, maybe they're interested in S&T Dwight for WB & Ibaka. One of few Dwight trades that makes sense for us. Westbrook can exist with Kobe just like he does with Durant. More of a 1A 1B situation than we have with Dwight. Ibaka compliments Pau perfectly.

doubt OKC does that nvm the fact Howard wouldn't even consider a small market like OKC even with Durant there.
khmrP

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 am

Francisco Garcia would be interesting. He'd add another NBA quality player in our rotation. More importantly, he can hit the open shot & he's a decent defender. I'd take him.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby abeer3 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:16 am

i'd prefer dorrell wright or perhaps his teammate in houston, carlos delfino, but garcia is the kind of guy that can help the lakers.

the good news is that there's lots of folks available for what the lakers would have to offer that could shore up the sf spot a bit.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 am

abeer3 wrote:i'd prefer dorrell wright or perhaps his teammate in houston, carlos delfino, but garcia is the kind of guy that can help the lakers.

the good news is that there's lots of folks available for what the lakers would have to offer that could shore up the sf spot a bit.

Say the Lakers really DO stand pat this season (which is very likely with some minor changes), they'll shore up the roster with guys like that for sure.

And if they added some guys in that ilk and by some miracle of God were relatively healthy next season a roster of:

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Meeks
Wright/Delfino
Gasol/Clark
Howard/Hill

would still be a decent team. Just a fully healthy Howard makes that team alright (even given Kobe being limited). Obviously I'd love to change Gasol into a serviceable SF and I'd really like to move on from the Blake/Meeks era, but that team would still be a playoff team for sure.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Let's just trade for Kevin Love by taking on some of their longer contracts. If we get Love, 2014 plan doesn't matter.

MIN can try out Rubio/Gasol/Pekovic/Kirilenko....and if they strike out they can start over in 2014. Rubio won't be upset because he wants Pau. We include Blake in the deal for matching.

Then we sign Leandro Barbosa for the league minimum and get DJ Augustin using the mini MLE.

Last edited by Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillbongo

Postby lakersin4 on Tue May 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Let's just trade for Kevin Love by taking on some of their longer contracts. If we get Love, 2014 plan doesn't matter.

MIN can try out Rubio/Gasol/Pekovic/Kirilenko....and if they strike out they can start over in 2014. Rubio won't be upset because he wants Pau. We include Blake in the deal for matching.

Then we sign Leandro Barbosa for the league minimum and get DJ Augustin using the mini MLE.

I don't think Love for Pau is possible but I wouldn't mind making Minne gut their roster for him. Let them keep the 3 headed monster of Love/Pau/Pek with Rubio.. Give us AK, D. Williams, Barea, Cunningham. I'd be extremely happy with that haul & I think it shores up multiple problems without committing a ton of money long term.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion