Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 am

Oh, Broussard and his 'sources.' On topic, what is Bledsoe's max that he can get offered? I'm already assuming Love is coming here in 2015 and that ties up the 'second max' since Kobe has the first...and would Bledsoe, Kobe, Love work while still building a decent roster with this new CBA. I don't think so. Although, I haven't crunched the numbers.

IMO, as I suggested in another thread, I'd roll with Marshall/Farmar next season because they're cheap & productive...I'd draft a SF or a Center and try to upgrade this roster through free agency while maintaining flexibility to acquire Love in 2015.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 am

If I'm overpaying for a Restricted Free Agent I want it to be either Bledsoe or Monroe, probably Monroe because size matters in the NBA and in your momma's bed.

Bledsoe's max contract I believe would start at 13.7 million and the next season move to 14.1 million.

That'd mean 14.1 million, 23.5 million, and let's say 4 million for the pick in 2015 totaling 41.6 million dollars. That'd leave us roughly 16-17 million to get Love... I'm not sure that's max money for him, I'd have to check.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Surprise surprise :man12:

Kyrie Irving Privately Telling People He Wants Out Of Cleveland

The Cleveland Cavaliers were hoping to be a playoff contender this season around Kyrie Irving, but have been terribly disappointing. The Cavaliers have missed on several draft picks and Chris Grant's job as general manager is in danger.

"Kyrie Irving has been telling people privately he wants out," wrote Chad Ford.

Irving becomes eligible for a contract extension this offseason and will presumably receive a max offer from the Cavaliers. Irving could become a restricted free agent in the 2015 offseason meaning he could not leave outright until 2016.

"The Cavs are working to try to create a winning situation and culture to make him happy," wrote Ford. "Didn't report it to say he's gone. Just trying to show why the Cavs are trying hard to right the ship right now."

Via Chad Ford/ESPN
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Uncle_Drew beat me to it thanks to the forum messing up.. But yeah.. Time to revisit Pau to Cleveland ;)
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:22 pm

If he doesn't accept a max contract... it doesn't matter.

Some team will offer him a big contract as a Restricted Free Agent and then the Cavs will match and then he'll be stuck there anyway.

He doesn't have a lot of leverage.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Doesn't matter if another team makes him an offer in 2015, he has to sign it for the Cavs to have the ability to match.. Meaning he can become unrestricted & walk in 2016.
LakersN4

Postby Slurpee22 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 pm

I would love to get Irving, but it's almost Impossible... I think the Cavs are probably gonna bring in multiple good players by the trade deadline to entice Irving....

they have the pieces to make trades... the Lakers don't.
Slurpee22

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:40 pm

LakersN4 wrote:Doesn't matter if another team makes him an offer in 2015, he has to sign it for the Cavs to have the ability to match.. Meaning he can become unrestricted & walk in 2016.

You're telling me a young man with shaky health is going to forgo 2 chances at 4 years of guaranteed money just to escape Cleveland? I don't buy it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Surprise surprise :man12:

The Cleveland Cavaliers were hoping to be a playoff contender this season around Kyrie Irving, but have been terribly disappointing. The Cavaliers have missed on several draft picks and Chris Grant's job as general manager is in danger.

Irving becomes eligible for a contract extension this offseason and will presumably receive a max offer from the Cavaliers. Irving could become a restricted free agent in the 2015 offseason meaning he could not leave outright until 2016.

"The Cavs are working to try to create a winning situation and culture to make him happy," wrote Ford. "Didn't report it to say he's gone. Just trying to show why the Cavs are trying hard to right the ship right now."

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

No surprise here. Kyrie is going to be the first player to turn down his first max deal offer. He's going to be ours in 2016.
Center Court

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Surprise surprise :man12:

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

He's just mad that Bynum beat him to it.

That organization has been a mess ever since Lebron left.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm

@MarkG_Medina 7m

Steve Nash, Steve Blake are also on the practice court

@MarkG_Medina 5m

Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar are also on the practice court

Looks like we'll be getting roster improvement from within. I look forward to not seeing Jodie Meeks run the offense anymore.

UPDATE

@LakersReporter 9m

2/2: Blake and Farmar are definitely out Friday, but are a possibility for (at) Minnesota on Tuesday. Nash not ruled out for tomorrow.

@LakersReporter 7m

Steve Nash just offered an update on the last tweet: "I don't think tomorrow is a possibility:" So he's out vs. the Bobcats.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Lakers Might Pursue Eric Bledsoe In Restricted Free Agency

The Los Angeles Lakers might pursue Eric Bledsoe in restricted free agency this offseason.

The Lakers would presumably have to overpay Bledsoe in order for the Phoenix Suns not to match.

Bledsoe was traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Suns in the offseason.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

this is good and not so good news, good news is that we are already looking out there what is available, but bad news is that we will have to overpay Bledsoe, that's only chance we can get him, because Suns will match any offer.
Bledsoe would be huge for us, dude is beast.

Bledsoe is injury prone. Do not want.

And if we're going to sign Love in 2015, we shouldn't be overpaying guys like him.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm excited about Farmar coming back. Blake and Nash, nope. Marshall has earned the starting PG spot, the other 3 can compete for the backup spot.

If MDA is stupid enough to kick Marshall out, I hope to baby Jesus someone in the FO tells him that ain't gonna fly.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Slurpee22 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:49 pm

We might win some games with Farmar and Blake back, but I doubt it's gonna be enough to hider us from a Top-6 draft pick.... it's good that they are back soon... we can potentially showcase them in a trade.
Slurpee22

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 pm

I want Farmar and X back,only.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:42 pm

It great to have SOME of these guys back but offense has never really been the overwhelming issue this year. Its our no defense philosophy.

These guys won't made that big of a difference in that area I don't think at least.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Great to hear Blake and Farmar are almost back, not great to hear Nash is.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Bulls fans are hopeful that they amnesty Boozer & deal Gibson & Dunleavy for Pau to let him expire & make an offer to Melo.. If only the fans actually ran that team. I'll take Gibson & Bledsoe, Monroe, or Deng over Melo anyday.
LakersN4

Postby Slurpee22 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:20 pm

I doubt, the Bulls give up Gibson, he is a player you need in the playoffs...
Slurpee22

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:01 pm

revgen wrote:

The Los Angeles Lakers might pursue Eric Bledsoe in restricted free agency this offseason.

The Lakers would presumably have to overpay Bledsoe in order for the Phoenix Suns not to match.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

this is good and not so good news, good news is that we are already looking out there what is available, but bad news is that we will have to overpay Bledsoe, that's only chance we can get him, because Suns will match any offer.

And if we're going to sign Love in 2015, we shouldn't be overpaying guys like him.

Not sure if his weird little injury this season and the knick-knacks throughout his career are enough to say he's "prone." Slightly overpaying Bledsoe makes some sense. If we can pair Bledsoe with Love and whoever we pick in the draft (in the event we signed Bledsoe it would likely be a wing) I think those three are a fantastic start to a rebuild (actually, if that wing is Wiggins, we're talking a 2nd year Wiggins, Bledsoe and Love...that be rebuilt) and there would still be enough left over to make a run at Durant the next season when Kobe is off the books.
Savory Griddles

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
revgen wrote:

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

Not sure if his weird little injury this season and the knick-knacks throughout his career are enough to say he's "prone." Slightly overpaying Bledsoe makes some sense. If we can pair Bledsoe with Love and whoever we pick in the draft (in the event we signed Bledsoe it would likely be a wing) I think those three are a fantastic start to a rebuild (actually, if that wing is Wiggins, we're talking a 2nd year Wiggins, Bledsoe and Love...that be rebuilt) and there would still be enough left over to make a run at Durant the next season when Kobe is off the books.

Knick knack? He missed 42 games with the Clippers 2 seasons ago with the exact same injury to the exact same knee. That's injury prone.

If we're going to overpay to bring somebody onboard, Lance Stephenson is the guy we should be targeting.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 pm

revgen wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
revgen wrote:

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

Knick knack? He missed 42 games with the Clippers 2 seasons ago with the exact same injury to the exact same knee. That's injury prone.

If we're going to overpay to bring somebody onboard, Lance Stephenson is the guy we should be targeting.

Well, maybe not Bledsoe, but I cannot get behind Stevenson. I don't know why but that guy screams "Contract Year Break-Out" to me. I just don't trust him at all. I'd rather do Monroe than Stevenson.
Savory Griddles

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
revgen wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
revgen wrote:

Well, maybe not Bledsoe, but I cannot get behind Stevenson. I don't know why but that guy screams "Contract Year Break-Out" to me. I just don't trust him at all. I'd rather do Monroe than Stevenson.

1) I can understand "contract year" when it comes to his offensive production. But his defense is legit and has been for awhile now. On top of that, he's 23 years old. I'm not surprised that he's making drastic improvements to his game given his age.

2) I like Monroe if we had a legit defensive anchor to pair with him. If Mitch can swing a deal to bring a shotblocker onboard, then Monroe looks like a good target. If we can't find a shotblocker to protect the rim, then we need to target a guard who can protect the perimeter like Stephenson.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:33 pm

^^ I'm a fan of Stephenson as well. Won't Indy lock him down though? He's an important player for them.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:47 am

^^^^ Pacers may not able/willing to pay the tax ... I think Lance is their priority but if they want to keep him AND avoid the tax = depth is likely totally gone

We need to think 2 way players ... Lance and Bledsoe ( injuries are a concern) yes , Irving and Love meh ...
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion