Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:53 pm

This is under the assumption that Nash retires and his salary is waived.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Weezy wrote:
charvin wrote:
Weezy wrote:But let's be real, does LeBron want to play "who is alpha dog" with Kobe for 2 seasons? I think the Clippers in a sign and trade for Griffin looks more appealing than the Lakers. He gets to play with his little buddy CP3, and possibly take the franchise to its first title ever. Personally thought I think he's not leaving Miami, I think Riley will make some moves to keep them competitive, I would imagine plenty of good players want to go play in Miami for many, many reasons (LeBron, winning, lifestyle, weather, no state taxes). Biggest question I guess is what to do with Wade, which yeah, could be the one major hurdle that makes LeBron leave.

Can't you say the same for lifestyle and weather in LA? It'd be a lateral move for him for sure, IMO, going from Miami to LA (Wade alpha to Kobe alpha). Of course, he'd be going to a more competitive conference, but if Bosh continues to disappear in the playoffs (not exactly reliable when he only gives you a good game or two per series) and Wade breaking down more and more (inability to play back-to-back), I don't see him staying in Miami. Not to say he'd go to LA, but the chances of him leaving Miami aren't as low as expected.

Yes the weather and lifestyle can be said to be similar in LA, not the state taxes though. I'm just saying I believe our roster would have to dramatically improve before LeBron came here. Even an inconsistent Bosh and breaking down Wade gives you a better shot at a title in the horrible East than anything we have now in this tough West. I have no idea where he ends up, but I would never put it past Riley to make some moves to improve that team enough to get him to stay there.

No doubt, I left out state taxes and winning because the Lakers don't provide that (currently for the winning part). It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see what Riley can do with this new CBA. The core was constructed under the old CBA and role players took a big pay cut to join them under the new CBA rules. If he is still able to field an ultra competitive team with this CBA's restrictions, then hands down, LBJ isn't going anywhere.
charvin

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:11 pm

The Washington Wizards and Indiana Pacers have been actively shopping the expiring contracts of Trevor Ariza and Danny Granger, respectively, according to sources.

But expiring contracts do not have nearly the same level of value they have in the past.

For the Pacers, they would likely only want another expiring contract in return for Granger due to their tax concerns in re-signing Lance Stephenson this offseason.

Via Zach Lowe/Grantland

Not sure how we come close enough matching Granger's 14M expiring without making it part of a Pau trade.. But I've wanted Granger on this team for a long time..
LakersN4

Postby trodgers on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Would you want Granger on this team at $14M though?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:08 pm

trodgers wrote:Would you want Granger on this team at $14M though?

He's expiring & shouldn't see offers anywhere near that with the last 2 seasons he's had.. We would hopefully be able to lock him in this summer at a steep discount. An underpaid fringe allstar(if he returns to form) & a high pick on a rookie contract would be a good way to offset Kobe's contract & give us a chance to sign a guy like Love & compete.
LakersN4

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't think anyone would want that -- but Granger isn't going to get 14M anymore. He'd be a good fit. Him or Deng. Kobe needs to get 100% healthy, and having a decent two way player on the wing can only help him; keep few of our young guys, like Marshall, Farmar, Swaggy. Draft well, see if we can get another legitimate star player, and the Lakers are back. It might take a year or two, but it's doable. So, Granger - or a similar player - would be a good start.

What can we offer for him in terms of salary match?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I see - I simply misread an earlier post.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:49 pm

karacha wrote:

What can we offer for him in terms of salary match?

They would have to either want Pau, or get an expiring piece from a 3rd team that wants Pau or Nash.. If they will truly only take expiring deals & we can't make it part of a Pau or Nash trade, it would be nearly impossible.. Blake + Kaman + Hill's expiring deals would still leave us 568k short of being within 125% of Granger's salary & making the deal work.
LakersN4

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah, that's going to be difficult. It's Pau or nothing at this point. That's our only asset.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Wouldn't want Granger unless we're signing him as a FA outright for a reduced rate...either way, I'd rather make a play for Stephenson or Deng this offseason...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:07 pm

I preferred Deng over Granger too, until Deng turned down a 3/30 extension.. We're looking at having to give Deng 11-12M, possibly the same for Stephenson.. After the last 2 seasons Granger has had & with all the questions surrounding his health, I'd be surprised if he gets more than 2/16 with the 2nd being a team option.. & even that might be generous.. Those are the type of bargain deals we need to make with no true superstars on the market imo.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Two straight injury plagued seasons, no thanks to signing a guy that will continue that streak.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 pm

76ers Waive Earl Clark

Keith Pompey ‏@PompeyOnSixers 1h

Now that was fast. #Sixers waive Earl Clark hours after acquiring him in a trade with the Cleveland #Cavaliers.

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/stat ... 4312225792

That was quick.
Kobe8Fan

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:28 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:
76ers Waive Earl Clark

Keith Pompey ‏@PompeyOnSixers 1h

Now that was fast. #Sixers waive Earl Clark hours after acquiring him in a trade with the Cleveland #Cavaliers.

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/stat ... 4312225792

That was quick.

Wouldn't mind bringing Earl back.. Better than Williams atleast.
LakersN4

Postby trodgers on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:29 am

Happy to bring back Clark on a prorated minimum deal. We could use a big.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:21 am

We have 15 players after the Blake trade though, someone would have to be waived.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:02 am

Weezy wrote:We have 15 players after the Blake trade though, someone would have to be waived.

Shawne Williams ' 10-day contract with the Lakers expires Sunday, leaving him a free agent on his 28th birthday.
:man1:
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 am

Williams is already off the team.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:17 am

Doc is correct as usual.. As much as I liked Earl playing under D'antoni, I'm not sure he's worth waiving a player & spending on.. I thought we could add him after Williams' 10 day was up.
LakersN4

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:36 am

I liked what he gave us. I know he got a good deal out of it and under-performed elsewhere, but he could fill a nice hole next year as a back up PF and even spot minutes as a center or SF. Like Brooks, Young, and Henry - I think playing with Kobe in P&G (work ethic and competitiveness/edge) in MDA's system with Exum, Marshall, and Farmar will bring out the best in Clark, for cheap. Like with Ariza, his best and most productive fit was with our Chip teams (despite a few high-scoring games in Houston).

I just hope we can sign-and-trade Gasol and Hill for a late first-round pick this summer.

Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Stephenson (even if it takes 12-13 million), Young, Henry, Brooks
Kobe, Young, McDermott (or Warren from NC State)
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham
Monroe, Sacre, LO (back and motivated - i.e., off drugs)

Again, I would rather have Monroe and Stephenson to build around with Young, Exum, Henry, Kelly etc. than Kevin Love.

The team above is great for MDA, or for a guy like Tom Thibs.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:35 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I liked what he gave us. I know he got a good deal out of it and under-performed elsewhere, but he could fill a nice hole next year as a back up PF and even spot minutes as a center or SF. Like Brooks, Young, and Henry - I think playing with Kobe in P&G (work ethic and competitiveness/edge) in MDA's system with Exum, Marshall, and Farmar will bring out the best in Clark, for cheap. Like with Ariza, his best and most productive fit was with our Chip teams (despite a few high-scoring games in Houston).

I just hope we can sign-and-trade Gasol and Hill for a late first-round pick this summer.

Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham

Again, I would rather have Monroe and Stephenson to build around with Young, Exum, Henry, Kelly etc. than Kevin Love.

Why not Love/Stephenson? That can work. Monroe has not shown any improvement since last season. He's a solid big, but Kevin Love is a top 5 or 6 player.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I liked what he gave us. I know he got a good deal out of it and under-performed elsewhere, but he could fill a nice hole next year as a back up PF and even spot minutes as a center or SF. Like Brooks, Young, and Henry - I think playing with Kobe in P&G (work ethic and competitiveness/edge) in MDA's system with Exum, Marshall, and Farmar will bring out the best in Clark, for cheap. Like with Ariza, his best and most productive fit was with our Chip teams (despite a few high-scoring games in Houston).

Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham

I'm confused about how our money is spent. This summer we'll have Nash (3), Kobe (23.5), Sacre (1), Marshall (1), and Kelly (1) and that's already 29.5 million. McDermott and Exum will total probably near 5 million and we're at 34.5 million.

Spend 12 on Stephenson that's 46.5 million.
That leaves roughly 14.5 million or so for the rest...
How much does it take to get Monroe?
Henry, Young, and Farmar probably aren't sticking around for the minimum.
I don't know who Brooks is... (Aaron?)

I don't want Lamar Odom around... but that's another thing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Danny Granger 'Pissed' When Told Of Trade, Could Sign With Heat Or Spurs

Jake Fischer ‏@JakeLFischer 3h

Danny Granger was "pissed" when he learned he was traded to the Sixers, per league source.

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status ... 7348937728

Jake Fischer ‏@JakeLFischer 3h

Many around the league expect Danny Granger to sign with either the Miami Heat or San Antonio Spurs once the Sixers buy him out.

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status ... 9513226240
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Charlie Villanueva Hopeful Of Buyout From Pistons

Vincent Goodwill
The Detroit News

Auburn Hills — Trade season is over, which means the present Pistons roster will be what you see for the rest of the regular season, right?

Not exactly, if Charlie Villanueva gets a buyout of the remaining amount of his contract, enabling him to latch onto another team where he might get more minutes. His expiring contract didn't fetch the suitors the Pistons believed it would — a league-wide trend, actually — but a buyout is another option.

“Anything’s possible. Right now, it is what it is,” Villanueva said. “I wish I could help this team in any way possible, but they’re going in a different direction. It’s part of the business, but if it presented itself, that’s something we’d look at, for sure.”

Villanueva’s close friend, former Piston Austin Daye, got a second chance when the Toronto Raptors traded him at the deadline to the San Antonio Spurs, a franchise that has put D-Leaguers like Danny Green on the map.

The two talked Thursday, and Villanueva reminded Daye he has an opportunity in front of him, probably one Villanueva would love to have.

“I’m so happy for him. So happy,” Villanueva said. “He’s on one of the better teams in the league and he’s gonna get an opportunity to give him a chance. I told him, ‘This is your chance to shine. Everybody can forget about what happens in the past if you shine now.’”

Orlando’s Glen Davis had been on the trade market, but when the buzzer sounded on the deadline Thursday afternoon, he and the Magic negotiated a buyout on the remaining $13 million owed Davis over the next two seasons.

Considering half the season is over, more than two-thirds of the $8.5 million due Villanueva has already been paid. He also hasn’t made a public stink about not getting minutes, so there’s probably a little hope his professionalism will earn himself a “get out of a jail free” card in the coming future.

It probably makes sense for both parties to part ways at this point.

The Pistons could save a little money and Villanueva would likely give up some cash in the hopes to set himself up for a contract next season.

The two sides have until March 1 to negotiate a buyout, giving Villanueva enough time to find a team.

Villanueva has been around for plenty of foolishness since his arrival. He was one of the few players who didn’t participate in a team boycott of a 2011 shoot-around in Philadelphia a day after the trade deadline.

“I’ve thought about that (stuff). But there’s always a right and wrong way to do things, and I’ll always do the right thing,” Villanueva said. “I’m a professional. It’s a privilege to play in this league. My situation ain’t so bright right now.”

With the Pistons going back to the Will Bynum-Andre Drummond combination, Villanueva could be valuable on that second unit because he at least poses the threat of shooting, which spreads the floor.

Bynum has certainly been vocal about the benefits of playing Villanueva, who has played more than 10 minutes just seven times this season and only appeared in 14 games.

“I’m not gonna say nothing,” Villanueva said. “As players we talk about it. Has it been looked at? No. But I feel like it’s something that can definitely work.”

But he’s not counting on a look.

“Can it (work)? For sure. I want to play. I want to help this team win. If it’s not here, then I’m still young, I have a lot of years of playing left. I want to play.”

After reiterating several times he’s not a coach, Villnueva said he’s “past frustration. I’ve just accepted it. It’s part of the business.

“It’s hard because I love this game. I’m very passionate about the game. You have to come to grips. They’ve made their decision, it doesn’t matter what I do in practice, what work I put in.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... get-buyout
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Ben Gordon and Bobcats Talk Buyout

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 39m

Charlotte is engaged in contract buyout discussions with Ben Gordon, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 1092804608
Kobe8Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion