Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:17 pm

1st for Jeff Green? Tell me this is just a CL idea & not a real rumor?
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:26 pm

LakersN4 wrote:1st for Jeff Green? Tell me this is just a CL idea & not a real rumor?


Just an idea since the Celtics are seemingly finishing up a deal for Evan Turner for part of their MLE.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:23 pm

@EricPincus: Essentially claiming Carlos Boozer cost the Lakers their Room Exception and Kendall Marshall - from a perspective anyway


Wait, what? We don't have our room exception anymore?
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Fulzgold on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Jeff Green is just so inconsistent, but he is better than what we have at SF imo. Includes Swaggy. Also, he would help for this year but he has a player option for 2015-16 and that is a hit that might hurt us in free agency next summer.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
User avatar
Fulzgold

 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:41 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Weezy wrote:
@EricPincus: Essentially claiming Carlos Boozer cost the Lakers their Room Exception and Kendall Marshall - from a perspective anyway


Wait, what? We don't have our room exception anymore?

Part of it went to Kelly, I think that's what they meant.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:40 pm

I would love to get Green. He's an awful 1st, or second option as he was in Boston. But as a likely 3rd, or ideally 4th option he would be a great fit here. Green needs to be in an environment where he has a role, and I think the Lakers could give him a good one by expecting him to hit open 3's, play a little defense, and run the floor. If you ask him to do to much, you're going to be disappointed.

I would hate to give up a 1st for him, but if he had a solid year with us, and resigned here for like 3/18 it would be a good deal, and probably worth giving up a late first.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 4250
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:
@EricPincus: Essentially claiming Carlos Boozer cost the Lakers their Room Exception and Kendall Marshall - from a perspective anyway


Wait, what? We don't have our room exception anymore?

Part of it went to Kelly, I think that's what they meant.

Cost as is opportunity cost; we made some moves that made us have to use the Room Exception on Kelly. NBD.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh I see, well that's well spent then IMO. We still need a backup PG, which we seems to have the rest of the room exception to get, or a minimum deal.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Fulzgold wrote:Jeff Green is just so inconsistent, but he is better than what we have at SF imo. Includes Swaggy. Also, he would help for this year but he has a player option for 2015-16 and that is a hit that might hurt us in free agency next summer.


Part of Jeff Green's inconsistency is the fact that he has been a first option for a Bad Celtics team while Rondo was out with injury. He's not a 1st option at all. Moreover, he's in no way worth a pick, but I'd definitely would swap any one of our bigs for him straight up with an exception for Randall.
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:14 pm

I'd be more than willing to give up a late first rounder for Jeff Green...Since Love is going to Cleveland at some point (either in a trade before the deadline, or in the offseason when he is unrestricted) and there are no targets in the coming season that we shouldn't shun in favor of what we could be with another quality addition in Kobe's last two seasons.

First, the odds that our Lin trade pick (most likely an early to mid 20's pick) would ever be as good as Jeff Green are slim to none, but on top of that this would make it so that we could still at least be a playoff team for Kobe's farewell contract, and then be in good position to maneuver for KD (or secondary targets) when Kobe's contract comes off the books.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
User avatar
Snakell Beast

 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:54 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Fulzgold on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:32 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Fulzgold wrote:Jeff Green is just so inconsistent, but he is better than what we have at SF imo. Includes Swaggy. Also, he would help for this year but he has a player option for 2015-16 and that is a hit that might hurt us in free agency next summer.


Part of Jeff Green's inconsistency is the fact that he has been a first option for a Bad Celtics team while Rondo was out with injury. He's not a 1st option at all. Moreover, he's in no way worth a pick, but I'd definitely would swap any one of our bigs for him straight up with an exception for Randall.


Another thing about him: he's 6'9' tall and athletic and has averaged 4.1 rebounds A GAME the last 3 years.

Also last year he shot 4.8 3 pointers a game, making 1.6 for 34% lol. Wow he's not very good.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
User avatar
Fulzgold

 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:41 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Weezy wrote:Oh I see, well that's well spent then IMO. We still need a backup PG, which we seems to have the rest of the room exception to get, or a minimum deal.

If we gave 1.65 to Kelly then I assume the rest of the room is about 1.05 million so not much different than the minimum...

I'm not sure who we can get for that amount, but hopefully there's someone out there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:I'd be more than willing to give up a late first rounder for Jeff Green...Since Love is going to Cleveland at some point (either in a trade before the deadline, or in the offseason when he is unrestricted) and there are no targets in the coming season that we shouldn't shun in favor of what we could be with another quality addition in Kobe's last two seasons.

First, the odds that our Lin trade pick (most likely an early to mid 20's pick) would ever be as good as Jeff Green are slim to none, but on top of that this would make it so that we could still at least be a playoff team for Kobe's farewell contract, and then be in good position to maneuver for KD (or secondary targets) when Kobe's contract comes off the books.
He won't be going to Cleveland unless he goes by trade.. Kyrie's extension kicks in next year, they won't have cap space for a while. Klay gets his extension next summer too so GS also won't be a threat to sign him if he isn't traded there. Hopefully Min keeps playing hardball & we're just bidding against the Knicks for Love next summer.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:12 am

Snakell Beast wrote:I'd be more than willing to give up a late first rounder for Jeff Green...Since Love is going to Cleveland at some point (either in a trade before the deadline, or in the offseason when he is unrestricted) and there are no targets in the coming season that we shouldn't shun in favor of what we could be with another quality addition in Kobe's last two seasons.

First, the odds that our Lin trade pick (most likely an early to mid 20's pick) would ever be as good as Jeff Green are slim to none, but on top of that this would make it so that we could still at least be a playoff team for Kobe's farewell contract, and then be in good position to maneuver for KD (or secondary targets) when Kobe's contract comes off the books.


I wouldn't give up a 1st for Green based on the single fact Boston has already EIGHT 1st round picks in the next 4 drafts
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 am

I don't know about a Green trade. He's a very average NBA player - at about $9.5M.

Doesn't shoot well from the floor, mostly because he shoots a ton of threes and isn't good at them, averages more turnovers than assists, has a career PER of 13.1, had good individual defensive numbers, but Boston was better with him off the court both of the past two seasons.

Mid-20s picks aren't as bad as you might think. Just looking at 22-28 over the past few years:
2013: Mason Plumlee, Tim Hardaway
2012: Miles Plumlee, Tony Wroten
2011: Faried, Reggie Jackson, MarShon Brooks, Jordan Hamilton, and Norris Cole
2010: Trevor Booker, Quincy Pondexter, Jordan Crawford, Greivis Vasquez
2009: Omri Casspi, Taj Gibson, DeMarre Carroll, Wayne Ellington

These guys have all been solid contributors at about 1/4 to 1/5 of that salary from Green. So, I guess it's a question of what we give up and what we get - 1/3 chance of getting a player who contributes like Green, way less money, and keeping the pick vs. getting a good individual defender who doesn't make his team better, is a volume shooter.

I don't see that Green is a good bet; it's a panic move.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am

If we are going to move that Hou pick and Nash, I would prefer to do it for Thad Young, if possible. Even if we have to add a second, cash, whatever. Philly will likely move him before the deadline to avoid losing him for nothing. His contract expires this year, right?

Add Jameer Nelson for the remaining RE or a minimum deal (he should play with a chip this year).

Lin, Nelson, Kane
Kobe, X, Clarkson
T. Young, N. Young, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

I actually like that team. Lots of upside with young (literally and figuratively) players who have great upside. Still lacking in pure shooters (other than Swaggy and Kelly). I think Meeks will be missed in that regard. But a real solid bench mob. A 12-man rotation essentially. Could be fun to watch and a playoff team - esp if Kobe plays facilitator role a lot this year.
tigerjeterkobe

 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Buffalo

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:19 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:If we are going to move that Hou pick and Nash, I would prefer to do it for Thad Young, if possible. Even if we have to add a second, cash, whatever. Philly will likely move him before the deadline to avoid losing him for nothing. His contract expires this year, right?

Add Jameer Nelson for the remaining RE or a minimum deal (he should play with a chip this year).

Lin, Nelson, Kane
Kobe, X, Clarkson
T. Young, N. Young, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

I actually like that team. Lots of upside with young (literally and figuratively) players who have great upside. Still lacking in pure shooters (other than Swaggy and Kelly). I think Meeks will be missed in that regard. But a real solid bench mob. A 12-man rotation essentially. Could be fun to watch and a playoff team - esp if Kobe plays facilitator role a lot this year.
Would also take Thad over Green.. Similar contract, slightly better player & slightly younger.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 am

Green is a better SF than T. Young is, Young is more of a tweener and if you guys hate Green % from 3 you'll gona hate Young even more. Young is basically a poor mans Josh Smith IMO, outside of a few little post up and dunks he doesn't have much offense, can't create his own shot, not much of a mid range game. Both have player option for next season, so I guess whoever comes cheaper I would take but my pref. is still Green as he is more of a natural 3.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10461
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Rooscooter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 am

Why trade now?.... That pick seems to be burning a hole in our pocket.... :man10:

It would seem that Nash and that pick would have more value at the trade deadline to a team that had high hopes but was not performing well. Salary relief to the tune of 9 M and a pick can bring a lot more than Green you'd think at the deadline. It isn't as if we are a "Green" away from making the playoffs......
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23127
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 am

Rooscooter wrote:Why trade now?.... That pick seems to be burning a hole in our pocket.... :man10:

It would seem that Nash and that pick would have more value at the trade deadline to a team that had high hopes but was not performing well. Salary relief to the tune of 9 M and a pick can bring a lot more than Green you'd think at the deadline. It isn't as if we are a "Green" away from making the playoffs......

You're right about Nash having more value at the deadline, but at that point we're probably looking at having to take on more than an extra year in salary.. Green & Young will both be half a season from being expiring contracts at the deadline, they won't have much incentive to move them. Also if Houston suffers an injury to Dwight or Harden or just has a bad season & is on pace to miss the playoffs, that pick loses most of it's value since it won't transfer until atleast 2016.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 am

khmrP wrote:Green is a better SF than T. Young is, Young is more of a tweener and if you guys hate Green % from 3 you'll gona hate Young even more. Young is basically a poor mans Josh Smith IMO, outside of a few little post up and dunks he doesn't have much offense, can't create his own shot, not much of a mid range game. Both have player option for next season, so I guess whoever comes cheaper I would take but my pref. is still Green as he is more of a natural 3.

Thad shoots 50% from the field to Green's 44%.. 3 pt % 34 for Green 32 for Young, not a huge difference but Green takes 3 attempts a game to Thad's 1.3, so Thad's poor 3 shooting won't hurt you as much as Green's because he doesn't settle for as many bad shots, takes more 2 pointers where he's much more efficient.. Green has been under 5 RPG the last 2 seasons while Thad had 7.5 & 6.. Neither of them are good defenders.. Assist numbers about the same.. Thad is a better athlete.. Basically I don't see any way for making an argument that Green is better than Thad..
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 am

^^^^Young and Green have diff. games, as I stated Young offense consist of putbacks, dunks and layups but not of his own creation (at least not the layups/dunk) part. You using the fg% as a comparison without the "extra" is misleading, I can do the same by saying D. Jordan is better Howard cause he led the league with 67% fg vs. Howards 59%. As for reb, I already acknowledge Young is a tweener, he plays most of his time at the PF spot and to avg. 6 throughout his career is sad for a PF. Green was forced to play PF when Durant showed up however an avg. of nearly 5rebs/gm for a SF isn't terrible. As for the 3pt% taking alot less and shooting at a worse clip is terrible comparison, Green takes 3x more and shoots 2% better isn't as small of diff as one would think and Green was forced into that sort of role, as noted when surrounded by a good team he did well, look at his time at OKC with Durant/Westbrick he shot 38%, 33% and 30% while taking nearly 4 a game. Those aren't great but still a whole lot better than Young.
Last edited by khmrP on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10461
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby TIME on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 am

Rooscooter wrote:Why trade now?.... That pick seems to be burning a hole in our pocket.... :man10:

It would seem that Nash and that pick would have more value at the trade deadline to a team that had high hopes but was not performing well. Salary relief to the tune of 9 M and a pick can bring a lot more than Green you'd think at the deadline. It isn't as if we are a "Green" away from making the playoffs......


This seems pretty clear to me. There are only two reasons to make a move like this now.

One: if we were one piece away from squeaking into the FInals (not just playoffs), and we are not close to that.

Two: giving up the 1st round pick gets us an asset that has more value long term than the pick is likely to bring. Green is not in that category.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:11 am

TIME wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Why trade now?.... That pick seems to be burning a hole in our pocket.... :man10:

It would seem that Nash and that pick would have more value at the trade deadline to a team that had high hopes but was not performing well. Salary relief to the tune of 9 M and a pick can bring a lot more than Green you'd think at the deadline. It isn't as if we are a "Green" away from making the playoffs......


This seems pretty clear to me. There are only two reasons to make a move like this now.

One: if we were one piece away from squeaking into the FInals (not just playoffs), and we are not close to that.

Two: giving up the 1st round pick gets us an asset that has more value long term than the pick is likely to bring. Green is not in that category.

Seriously. How badly do some of you guys want to get rid of this pick? :man10:

khmrP you were one of the guys MOST angry about the picks we've traded and now you want to trade it for Jeff Green of all people? That's what a 1st round pick nets these days? If we trade that pick we better get back a cornerstone piece. Is Green a cornerstone? No? Then pass.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:16 am

therealdeal wrote:
TIME wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Why trade now?.... That pick seems to be burning a hole in our pocket.... :man10:

It would seem that Nash and that pick would have more value at the trade deadline to a team that had high hopes but was not performing well. Salary relief to the tune of 9 M and a pick can bring a lot more than Green you'd think at the deadline. It isn't as if we are a "Green" away from making the playoffs......


This seems pretty clear to me. There are only two reasons to make a move like this now.

One: if we were one piece away from squeaking into the FInals (not just playoffs), and we are not close to that.

Two: giving up the 1st round pick gets us an asset that has more value long term than the pick is likely to bring. Green is not in that category.

Seriously. How badly do some of you guys want to get rid of this pick? :man10:

khmrP you were one of the guys MOST angry about the picks we've traded and now you want to trade it for Jeff Green of all people? That's what a 1st round pick nets these days? If we trade that pick we better get back a cornerstone piece. Is Green a cornerstone? No? Then pass.


While I agree we shouldn't trade the pick, I think "cornerstone" might be pushing it for a pick that is likely to fall around 20. The odds of us grabbing a cornerstone piece with that pick are very small, unless we have a different definition of cornerstone, which is possible.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9051
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.