Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:13 pm

The Celtics have about 20 people on their roster. They're going to have to make some moves.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:The Celtics have about 20 people on their roster. They're going to have to make some moves.

we should find a deal to get Green from them, some how w/o giving up a 1st. Dont think Green is in their future plans.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:17 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The Celtics have about 20 people on their roster. They're going to have to make some moves.

we should find a deal to get Green from them, some how w/o giving up a 1st. Dont think Green is in their future plans.

I would trade Nash+HOU 1st for Jeff Green, definitely. If Houston is expected to make the playoffs, why bother right?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:25 pm

I wouldn't give up a first for him. No reason for us to do that. The guy is 27 now and hasn't shown the growth he should have. He's not a great defender, he's not a strong rebounder, and he showed real regression in his efficiency last season. Despite that, I think he'd be a strong fit next to Kobe, but his contract still has 2 years left on it (the 2nd is a player option) worth 9.2 million. He's not exactly a bargain.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 1bartg22 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:26 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
khmrP wrote:

I would trade Nash+HOU 1st for Jeff Green, definitely. If Houston is expected to make the playoffs, why bother right?

+1 :jam2:
1bartg22

Postby 1bartg22 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 pm

If we do Nash+HOU 1st for Jeff Green, I'd support that. Here's the financial breakdown:

According to Spotrac, Jeff Green is going to be paid $9.2 mil this year, while Nash is going to be paid $9.7 mil. I'd say we use the remaining 500 K to make DeAndre Kane our 3rd string PG.

PG: Lin/Clarkson/Kane
SG: Kobe/Swaggy P/Henry
SF: Green/Wes/Henry
PF: Boozer/Randle/Kelly
C: Hill/Davis/Sacre

That gives us 14. Mitch always leaves a spot open during the season, for flexibility purposes.

Is this a plausible roster?
1bartg22

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:37 pm

1bartg22 wrote:If we do Nash+HOU 1st for Jeff Green, I'd support that. Here's the financial breakdown:

According to Spotrac, Jeff Green is going to be paid $9.2 mil this year, while Nash is going to be paid $9.7 mil. I'd say we use the remaining 500 K to make DeAndre Kane our 3rd string PG.

PG: Lin/Clarkson/Kane
SG: Kobe/Swaggy P/Henry
SF: Green/Wes/Henry
PF: Boozer/Randle/Kelly
C: Hill/Davis/Sacre

That gives us 14. Mitch always leaves a spot open during the season, for flexibility purposes.

Is this a plausible roster?

I'd prefer to give up a diff. pick, a future one of ours. Hou will be a playoff team but might be the bottom half of the bracket if they get hit with any major injuries (Harden is a likely canidate). That pick could still be in the teens or early 20's, still valuable for other options IMO.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Plausible but unlikely and, in my opinion, undesirable.

I don't want Young backing up Kobe, I want Henry doing that. Young is best suited at SF where he's got the size to matchup and the speed to beat them.

Not to mention Green would then be part of our future plans because he'll still be on the books next season. I'd rather have the cap space and the pick and I'd rather not be tied to him for that long.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:17 pm

1st for Jeff Green? Tell me this is just a CL idea & not a real rumor?
LakersN4

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:26 pm

LakersN4 wrote:1st for Jeff Green? Tell me this is just a CL idea & not a real rumor?

Just an idea since the Celtics are seemingly finishing up a deal for Evan Turner for part of their MLE.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:23 pm

@EricPincus: Essentially claiming Carlos Boozer cost the Lakers their Room Exception and Kendall Marshall - from a perspective anyway

Wait, what? We don't have our room exception anymore?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Fulzgold on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Jeff Green is just so inconsistent, but he is better than what we have at SF imo. Includes Swaggy. Also, he would help for this year but he has a player option for 2015-16 and that is a hit that might hurt us in free agency next summer.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Weezy wrote:
@EricPincus: Essentially claiming Carlos Boozer cost the Lakers their Room Exception and Kendall Marshall - from a perspective anyway

Part of it went to Kelly, I think that's what they meant.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:40 pm

I would love to get Green. He's an awful 1st, or second option as he was in Boston. But as a likely 3rd, or ideally 4th option he would be a great fit here. Green needs to be in an environment where he has a role, and I think the Lakers could give him a good one by expecting him to hit open 3's, play a little defense, and run the floor. If you ask him to do to much, you're going to be disappointed.

I would hate to give up a 1st for him, but if he had a solid year with us, and resigned here for like 3/18 it would be a good deal, and probably worth giving up a late first.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:

Part of it went to Kelly, I think that's what they meant.

Cost as is opportunity cost; we made some moves that made us have to use the Room Exception on Kelly. NBD.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh I see, well that's well spent then IMO. We still need a backup PG, which we seems to have the rest of the room exception to get, or a minimum deal.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Fulzgold wrote:Jeff Green is just so inconsistent, but he is better than what we have at SF imo. Includes Swaggy. Also, he would help for this year but he has a player option for 2015-16 and that is a hit that might hurt us in free agency next summer.

Part of Jeff Green's inconsistency is the fact that he has been a first option for a Bad Celtics team while Rondo was out with injury. He's not a 1st option at all. Moreover, he's in no way worth a pick, but I'd definitely would swap any one of our bigs for him straight up with an exception for Randall.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:14 pm

I'd be more than willing to give up a late first rounder for Jeff Green...Since Love is going to Cleveland at some point (either in a trade before the deadline, or in the offseason when he is unrestricted) and there are no targets in the coming season that we shouldn't shun in favor of what we could be with another quality addition in Kobe's last two seasons.

First, the odds that our Lin trade pick (most likely an early to mid 20's pick) would ever be as good as Jeff Green are slim to none, but on top of that this would make it so that we could still at least be a playoff team for Kobe's farewell contract, and then be in good position to maneuver for KD (or secondary targets) when Kobe's contract comes off the books.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Fulzgold on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:32 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Fulzgold wrote:Jeff Green is just so inconsistent, but he is better than what we have at SF imo. Includes Swaggy. Also, he would help for this year but he has a player option for 2015-16 and that is a hit that might hurt us in free agency next summer.

Part of Jeff Green's inconsistency is the fact that he has been a first option for a Bad Celtics team while Rondo was out with injury. He's not a 1st option at all. Moreover, he's in no way worth a pick, but I'd definitely would swap any one of our bigs for him straight up with an exception for Randall.

Another thing about him: he's 6'9' tall and athletic and has averaged 4.1 rebounds A GAME the last 3 years.

Also last year he shot 4.8 3 pointers a game, making 1.6 for 34% lol. Wow he's not very good.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Weezy wrote:Oh I see, well that's well spent then IMO. We still need a backup PG, which we seems to have the rest of the room exception to get, or a minimum deal.

If we gave 1.65 to Kelly then I assume the rest of the room is about 1.05 million so not much different than the minimum...

I'm not sure who we can get for that amount, but hopefully there's someone out there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:I'd be more than willing to give up a late first rounder for Jeff Green...Since Love is going to Cleveland at some point (either in a trade before the deadline, or in the offseason when he is unrestricted) and there are no targets in the coming season that we shouldn't shun in favor of what we could be with another quality addition in Kobe's last two seasons.

First, the odds that our Lin trade pick (most likely an early to mid 20's pick) would ever be as good as Jeff Green are slim to none, but on top of that this would make it so that we could still at least be a playoff team for Kobe's farewell contract, and then be in good position to maneuver for KD (or secondary targets) when Kobe's contract comes off the books.
He won't be going to Cleveland unless he goes by trade.. Kyrie's extension kicks in next year, they won't have cap space for a while. Klay gets his extension next summer too so GS also won't be a threat to sign him if he isn't traded there. Hopefully Min keeps playing hardball & we're just bidding against the Knicks for Love next summer.
LakersN4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:12 am

Snakell Beast wrote:I'd be more than willing to give up a late first rounder for Jeff Green...Since Love is going to Cleveland at some point (either in a trade before the deadline, or in the offseason when he is unrestricted) and there are no targets in the coming season that we shouldn't shun in favor of what we could be with another quality addition in Kobe's last two seasons.

I wouldn't give up a 1st for Green based on the single fact Boston has already EIGHT 1st round picks in the next 4 drafts
wcsoldier81

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 am

I don't know about a Green trade. He's a very average NBA player - at about $9.5M.

Doesn't shoot well from the floor, mostly because he shoots a ton of threes and isn't good at them, averages more turnovers than assists, has a career PER of 13.1, had good individual defensive numbers, but Boston was better with him off the court both of the past two seasons.

Mid-20s picks aren't as bad as you might think. Just looking at 22-28 over the past few years:
2013: Mason Plumlee, Tim Hardaway
2012: Miles Plumlee, Tony Wroten
2011: Faried, Reggie Jackson, MarShon Brooks, Jordan Hamilton, and Norris Cole
2010: Trevor Booker, Quincy Pondexter, Jordan Crawford, Greivis Vasquez
2009: Omri Casspi, Taj Gibson, DeMarre Carroll, Wayne Ellington

These guys have all been solid contributors at about 1/4 to 1/5 of that salary from Green. So, I guess it's a question of what we give up and what we get - 1/3 chance of getting a player who contributes like Green, way less money, and keeping the pick vs. getting a good individual defender who doesn't make his team better, is a volume shooter.

I don't see that Green is a good bet; it's a panic move.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am

If we are going to move that Hou pick and Nash, I would prefer to do it for Thad Young, if possible. Even if we have to add a second, cash, whatever. Philly will likely move him before the deadline to avoid losing him for nothing. His contract expires this year, right?

Add Jameer Nelson for the remaining RE or a minimum deal (he should play with a chip this year).

Lin, Nelson, Kane
Kobe, X, Clarkson
T. Young, N. Young, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

I actually like that team. Lots of upside with young (literally and figuratively) players who have great upside. Still lacking in pure shooters (other than Swaggy and Kelly). I think Meeks will be missed in that regard. But a real solid bench mob. A 12-man rotation essentially. Could be fun to watch and a playoff team - esp if Kobe plays facilitator role a lot this year.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:19 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:If we are going to move that Hou pick and Nash, I would prefer to do it for Thad Young, if possible. Even if we have to add a second, cash, whatever. Philly will likely move him before the deadline to avoid losing him for nothing. His contract expires this year, right?

Add Jameer Nelson for the remaining RE or a minimum deal (he should play with a chip this year).

Lin, Nelson, Kane
Kobe, X, Clarkson
T. Young, N. Young, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

I actually like that team. Lots of upside with young (literally and figuratively) players who have great upside. Still lacking in pure shooters (other than Swaggy and Kelly). I think Meeks will be missed in that regard. But a real solid bench mob. A 12-man rotation essentially. Could be fun to watch and a playoff team - esp if Kobe plays facilitator role a lot this year.
Would also take Thad over Green.. Similar contract, slightly better player & slightly younger.
LakersN4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion