Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:51 am

We are booked at the 4. Yes. But not the 3. Not at all. Wes, Young, and X? Not enough strength and length to deal with guys like Durant, Melo, Bron, Marion.

I would absolutely sign a hungary-again Clark to a minimum deal and let him and Wes battle for starting minutes at the 3. Clark is a better defender and rebounder than Wes - despite not being as athletic. Clark can also play the 4 and 5, and not necessarily make it "small ball" when at the 4.

Kobe likes and trusts him. I prefer him at the 3 over Wes, Mbaekwe, Trey, or anyone else we had on the summer team. I actually prefer him to Beasily, because Clark defends and plays his role.

Lin, Nash, Kane (or Jordan Crawford)
Kobe, X, Clarkson
Clark, Swaggy, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

Invite a few others to camp for competition at third-string PG and Center. Still, I like that team of young, versatile, hungry players around Kobe and Nash.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:29 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:We are booked at the 4. Yes. But not the 3. Not at all. Wes, Young, and X? Not enough strength and length to deal with guys like Durant, Melo, Bron, Marion.

I would absolutely sign a hungary-again Clark to a minimum deal and let him and Wes battle for starting minutes at the 3. Clark is a better defender and rebounder than Wes - despite not being as athletic. Clark can also play the 4 and 5, and not necessarily make it "small ball" when at the 4.

Kobe likes and trusts him. I prefer him at the 3 over Wes, Mbaekwe, Trey, or anyone else we had on the summer team. I actually prefer him to Beasily, because Clark defends and plays his role.

Kobe, X, Clarkson
Clark, Swaggy, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

Invite a few others to camp for competition at third-string PG and Center. Still, I like that team of young, versatile, hungry players around Kobe and Nash.

I would definitely consider bringing back Clark and playing him at the 3. I hated to see him go. He was one of a few bright spots during the MDA era. I have never been sold on Wes and i think Clark would definitely be an upgrade.
ElginTheGreat

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:We are booked at the 4. Yes. But not the 3. Not at all. Wes, Young, and X? Not enough strength and length to deal with guys like Durant, Melo, Bron, Marion.

Kobe, X, Clarkson
Clark, Swaggy, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

We won't field a full roster, we never do.

And your PF rotation is just not going to happen that way man. No way they give Boozer 3rd fiddle. He's a veteran guy who just averaged 13/7 or something on a good team. I can see his minutes being scaled down, but certainly not 3rd fiddle to a rookie and a sophomore.

The last move for the Lakers should be adding wing depth, not size. I like Earl and I think he could provide some good depth, but I think a 1/2 or a 2/3 is a more urgent need.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 am

I don't see why we'd sign anyone other than a PG.. Nash is going to be lucky to play 10 games & Clarkson is a SG.. & don't give me this nonsense about X playing out of position. He can do it in a pinch if he has to but planning for him to be a PG is a recipe for disaster. We have 1 PG basically.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

LakersN4 wrote:I don't see why we'd sign anyone other than a PG.. Nash is going to be lucky to play 10 games & Clarkson is a SG.. & don't give me this nonsense about X playing out of position. He can do it in a pinch if he has to but planning for him to be a PG is a recipe for disaster. We have 1 PG basically.

It's not nonsense to play Henry out of position if we have a system in place offensively that doesn't require traditional PG sets. Not to mention Henry did a good job of controlling the ball/tempo when he was given the task.

That being said, I think we need another 1/2 as well. I think Henry is capable of doing it (as in it's not nonsense to think he can), but I'd rather have a more traditional set up than that.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of vet PGs left out there to pick from. Ridnour anyone?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 am

It would've been nice to get a starting caliber SF, instead of Wes, but he will do. As long as he focuses on defense...and doesn't foul jumpshooters.

But I think a veteran backup PG would be ideal behind Lin. As much as I like Clarkson, he's more of a 1/2 than a true PG.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby jlkr on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 am

I agree, the last signing will have to be a PG for vet minimum. Otherwise not enough depth given the issues around Nash, Clarkson and Henry. Kobe at PG, anyone? Kobe could do it, in fact, he did it for a bit during MDA's first year, but I'm not a fan of that approach. The guy is old, let's not run him into the ground.

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/Young
Henry/Johnson
Boozer/Randle/Kelly
Hill/Sacre/Ed Clark

That's 13 right there. Lakers are filled up at the 4 and 5. Also Kobe and Young can play the 3 as well as the 2. Heck, we might see either Kelly or Randle dropping down to 3 once in awhile. So need for someone like Earl Clark not that big a deal. Think it's going to end up being 3 by committee. The real big hole on the roster is the PG position behind Lin. Need a 3rd string PG a lot more than need someone like Earl Clark.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:37 am

I've been watching Earl Clark since he was in Orlando before he came over to the Lakers...Pincus used the term 'float' for Wesley Johnson to describe at play at times during last season, and I'll use the same term for Earl Clark. They tend to give you stretches where they contribute and then all of a sudden they'll disappear. It's been a pattern with Clark since his days in Orlando and it even happened here in Los Angeles toward the end of the 2012 season. I believe we attributed his lack of contribution to 'hitting a wall' but the reality is that's been Earl's pattern his whole career. Same for Wesley...I don't think we need two guys on this roster that 'float.' We have enough concerns over injury issues, and I don't think we need anybody checking out mentally during the season.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby frankdtank on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 am

^^^Agree 100%. What PGs are still out there?
frankdtank

Postby lotus on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:53 am

lukewaltonsdad wrote:I've been watching Earl Clark since he was in Orlando before he came over to the Lakers...Pincus used the term 'float' for Wesley Johnson to describe at play at times during last season, and I'll use the same term for Earl Clark. They tend to give you stretches where they contribute and then all of a sudden they'll disappear. It's been a pattern with Clark since his days in Orlando and it even happened here in Los Angeles toward the end of the 2012 season. I believe we attributed his lack of contribution to 'hitting a wall' but the reality is that's been Earl's pattern his whole career. Same for Wesley...I don't think we need two guys on this roster that 'float.' We have enough concerns over injury issues, and I don't think we need anybody checking out mentally during the season.

"Float" is just a matter of a player not fitting in or not knowing where he fits in. Earl is capable, he just probably didn't understand his role. I can't blame him considering the circus he played under here. Same with Wes. Remember at times he played the "Stretch 4".

It all comes down to the competency of the coaching staff and their ability to use players in the right way that plays to that players abilities. We don't have a damn coach, or coaching staff, yet, so who knows what will happen. But judging these guys on MDA's or Brown's watch probably doesn't do them justice.
lotus

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 am

frankdtank wrote:^^^Agree 100%. What PGs are still out there?

Available guards:

Jerryd Bayless
Leandro Barbosa
Shannon Brown
Ronnie Brewer
James Andersen
Rasual Butler
Jordan Crawford
Jared Cunningham
Toney Douglas
Chris Douglas-Roberts
Francisco Garcia
Mike James
Doron Lamb
Shelvin Mack
E'Twaun Moore
Toure Murray
Ronnie Price
Ramon Sessions
Luke Ridnour
Peyton Siva
Mo Williams
Earl Watson
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:59 am

Not the best options but if it's between Wes and Earl I think Earl is just a tad better. Not saying much tho.
D.B. Cooper

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am

Crawford would be nice but it seems like he's going to go to a contender. He had his season of putting up stats on a team that wasn't great last year.
LakersN4

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am

lotus wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:I've been watching Earl Clark since he was in Orlando before he came over to the Lakers...Pincus used the term 'float' for Wesley Johnson to describe at play at times during last season, and I'll use the same term for Earl Clark. They tend to give you stretches where they contribute and then all of a sudden they'll disappear. It's been a pattern with Clark since his days in Orlando and it even happened here in Los Angeles toward the end of the 2012 season. I believe we attributed his lack of contribution to 'hitting a wall' but the reality is that's been Earl's pattern his whole career. Same for Wesley...I don't think we need two guys on this roster that 'float.' We have enough concerns over injury issues, and I don't think we need anybody checking out mentally during the season.

"Float" is just a matter of a player not fitting in or not knowing where he fits in. Earl is capable, he just probably didn't understand his role. I can't blame him considering the circus he played under here. Same with Wes. Remember at times he played the "Stretch 4".

It all comes down to the competency of the coaching staff and their ability to use players in the right way that plays to that players abilities. We don't have a damn coach, or coaching staff, yet, so who knows what will happen. But judging these guys on MDA's or Brown's watch probably doesn't do them justice.

I hear you...I just don't agree with it. Clark was a castoff in Phoenix before he ended up being traded to Orlando to a better situation that could have helped his career. He played under Stan Van Gundy who is a very good coach, IMO. Earl had stretches where he showed potential; then he fizzled out. He came here in the DH trade, had a good run, then again, fizzled out.

On the other hand, I'll give Wesley the benefit of the doubt. It could be the system, not knowing his role, not knowing if he was going to play, etc...however, his pattern throughout his career has been the same one as Earl coincidentally, IMO. High draft lottery pick, shows potential during the season, then checks out mentally.

We don't have a talent laden roster to cover up for any of these guys. Unfortunately, we had to bring Wes back, and I for one don't want too exacerbate the problem by giving another roster spot to Earl. I know the need for wing depth on this team, but IMO, he's just not worth it.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:10 am

therealdeal wrote:

Available guards:

Jerryd Bayless
Ronnie Brewer
Jordan Crawford
Ronnie Price
Ramon Sessions
Luke Ridnour
Mo Williams
Earl Watson

Shortened the list of guys I'd actually take.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Available guards:

Jerryd Bayless
Ronnie Brewer
Jordan Crawford
Ronnie Price
Ramon Sessions
Luke Ridnour
Mo Williams
Earl Watson

I'd pass on Ronnie and Earl. We won't have a real shot at Crawford or Mo.

I'd also include Toney Douglas on that list.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 1bartg22 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 am

Clark and Marshall had a similar fate. Both came out of nowhere and balled up. But as soon as opposing teams figured them out, they faded back into obscurity. Marshall isn't a big loss IMO. Dude was having scoreless games towards the end of last season. He was ineffective, and I'm glad that Clarkson is now going to have a chance to get some major minutes. He's going to be a star IMO. Dude has all the tools to be a great PG in this league.

As for Clark, I wouldn't mind bringing him back on the vet min. He has skills, but when given major minutes, he does in fact "float", much like Wes Johnson. If Wes and Clark would share minutes, I think we'd be OK at SF. And if Kobe goes down again, which I think he will, then Henry is a good 3rd option at SG. He needs to have his minutes limited, because of his playing style, he's always at risk for an injury.
1bartg22

Postby 1bartg22 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am

therealdeal wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Available guards:

Jerryd Bayless
Ronnie Brewer
Jordan Crawford
Ronnie Price
Ramon Sessions
Luke Ridnour
Mo Williams
Earl Watson

I'd pass on Ronnie and Earl. We won't have a real shot at Crawford or Mo.

I'd also include Toney Douglas on that list.

I wouldn't mind bringing Ronnie Brewer in. Idk if Mo or Crawford would come play for us. The reason they're on the market is probably because their asking price is too high. Earl, no, Ridnour is on the Magic already, Ronnie Price is on the Magic, and Bayless is on the Bucks.
1bartg22

Postby frankdtank on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:49 am

So I guess wait to see if Mo and Crawford get passed on, by some long shot, and we scoop one up. If we don't luck out then pick up Sessions or Brewer.
frankdtank

Postby darkice18 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 am

Michael Beasley and greg Oden should be recruited
darkice18

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:39 am

darkice18 wrote:Michael Beasley and greg Oden should be recruited

Who do you think we are, the Heat? :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:34 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
darkice18 wrote:Michael Beasley and greg Oden should be recruited

Who do you think we are, the Heat? :man10:

I'd take a flier on Beasley. We have zero defense so we need as many people as possible that can score, right? :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Kobe, X, Clarkson
Clark, Swaggy, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

Ed Davis or Hill can cover a 36 year old Dirk.

The best defender we've ever had against Durant was 6'6, not 6'10 like Earl. Durant hates body contact. Length doesn't really bother him. Clark uses length and athleticism to defend. He's not physical.

Melo and Lebron can't be guarded 1 vs 1. You have to send the double one way or another. And Melo, unlike Bron, isn't as dedicated at passing out of them.

We need more help at the 1 position than we need at the 3 or 4 positions.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Shelvin Mack to Hawks.. 1 less guard to choose from.
LakersN4

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 pm

The Nash thing is really bumming me out at the moment. Can he play or can't he?

We need someone to play 12 minutes a game behind Lin. Clarkson is too raw and can't handle the rock well enough that I've seen.

If Nash CAN play he'd be perfect at backup 1. But that's the biggest if I've ever heard of at this point. I'm mad that he didn't even try the medical retirement. It's not even the money as much as the roster spot now.

I'm also PO'd at Farmar for getting impatient. If he'd have just waited he could have gotten a similar contract to what he got with the Paper Clips right here as a Laker.

I sure hope Nash can play. Or that we can trade him at the deadline for a useful player if he can't.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion