Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:04 pm

therealdeal wrote:Next summer we'll have-
Kobe- 25
Young- 5.38
Randle- 2.5
Kelly- 1.72
Clarkson- 1?
= 35.6

Lin's cap hold will be 8.7 million dollars. Hill's will be 9 million.

That puts us at 53.3 million. Unless we can re-sign those two quickly or we renounce their rights and take our chances they come back anyway, we won't have enough money to go after the big names that hard. My hope is we bring back Lin and Hill on reasonable deals quickly and end up with just enough cap space to go after real big targets, but my expectation is that we strike out on big names and just bring back a couple of the guys we like from this upcoming year.

I think as soon as the season is over we will cut lose Hill and give up his Bird Rights. Likely Lin too. The amount we'd bring them back for is probably around 5 each anyway so we can fit that and a max free agent under the cap. We are not brining them back for much more than that so since we have cap space their bird rights are virtually useless to us.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 pm

It's likely that you're right. If we renounce them, they can still re-sign here, but in the meantime we'll try to swing for the fences.

I really won't hold out hope that we bring in Rondo, Love, or Marc Gasol. Therefore my hope is just to bring back a handful of these guys at a low rate like we talked about. But just for arguments sake, let's say we are able to get Rondo. His max contract next season should be roughly 19 if the cap stays the same.

If we renounce all of our free agents we'll have roughly 40 million on the books after cap holds. That leaves us enough space to add a major piece and then to bring back probably one of those guys on a long-term deal built like Nick Young's contract. In that case I'd guess it'd be either Hill or Lin.

But we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Chandler has a team options too for 2015-16'....just saying :man1: , him and Hill add up to more than 15mill in "expiring" I mean we could essentially trade them to a team looking to not pickup the option in exchange for a disgruntled tier 2 maybe bottom end tier 1 type guy (dont know who at the moment).
khmrP

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
Kobe- 25
Young- 5.38
Randle- 2.5
Kelly- 1.72
Clarkson- 1?
= 35.6

That puts us at 53.3 million. Unless we can re-sign those two quickly or we renounce their rights and take our chances they come back anyway, we won't have enough money to go after the big names that hard. My hope is we bring back Lin and Hill on reasonable deals quickly and end up with just enough cap space to go after real big targets, but my expectation is that we strike out on big names and just bring back a couple of the guys we like from this upcoming year.

I think as soon as the season is over we will cut lose Hill and give up his Bird Rights. Likely Lin too. The amount we'd bring them back for is probably around 5 each anyway so we can fit that and a max free agent under the cap. We are not brining them back for much more than that so since we have cap space their bird rights are virtually useless to us.

We didn't renounce Pau's rights until we missed out on Melo & Pau turned down 2 contract offers from us.. Don't think we'll decline Hill's option until we have to.
LakersN4

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:07 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
Kobe- 25
Young- 5.38
Randle- 2.5
Kelly- 1.72
Clarkson- 1?
= 35.6

We didn't renounce Pau's rights until we missed out on Melo & Pau turned down 2 contract offers from us.. Don't think we'll decline Hill's option until we have to.

It could be that we don't officially do it until we figure out what we're doing just in case (actually the likely scenario) that no big FA bites and we resign Hill to another ridiculous 9 million a year salary deal with a team option again on the second year.
Savory Griddles

Earl Clark Wants To Prove He Still Belongs In The NBA

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:35 am

Earl Clark Wants An Opportunity To Play And Prove He Still Belongs In The NBA

By Alex Kennedy | Senior NBA Editor

Earl Clark wasn’t supposed to be an unrestricted free agent this summer. If all had gone as planned, he would be playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the upcoming season, after signing a two-year deal worth $9 million with the team last offseason. When Clark inked the contract, it seemed like he had finally found a home and some security after playing for three teams (the Phoenix Suns, Orlando Magic and L.A. Lakers) in his first four NBA seasons.

However, Clark was dealt to the Philadelphia 76ers at the trade deadline along with Henry Sims and two future second-round picks in exchange for Spencer Hawes. Philadelphia, in tank mode, waived Clark and just like that he was back in the free agent pool seven months after putting pen to paper on his contract with Cleveland. The following week, the New York Knicks signed Clark to a 10-day contract, followed by a second 10-day deal, but ultimately decided not to guarantee his contract for the remainder of the season.

That’s how Clark finished the season as a free agent, watching the final month of the 2013-14 campaign from his home. Now, he is ready to get back into the league and finally settle down somewhere.

When given minutes throughout his career, Clark has shown that he can be a significant contributor. He’s a versatile, two-way player who can play multiple positions and he believes he has proven that he belongs in the league.

“This is going to be my sixth year in the NBA, and I feel like I’ve been through a lot,” Clark told Basketball Insiders. “I feel like I’ve shown people over and over [what I can do]. I had to prove myself. I’ve been coached by many different coaches and survived. I went to different teams and didn’t burn any bridges; it’s hard to do that in this league. Now, I’m definitely looking for minutes – an opportunity to get out there and play my game. … Over and over, I’ve survived and once they put me out there, I do my job. That’s all I can say; that’s all I can live for. Whichever teams calls my name and gives me that opportunity, I’m going to be ready to play.”

Remember, just two seasons ago Clark played very well for the Lakers, initially thriving as a reserve and then replacing Pau Gasol in Mike D’Antoni’s starting lineup for 36 games (in which he averaged 9 points, 6.8 rebounds and nearly a block and a steal). It was this breakout season that led the Cavaliers to sign Clark, and he believes he can produce at that level again if put in the right situation and given the opportunity to play.

“When I was with the Lakers, I got the opportunity to get out there and play some big minutes – I didn’t have to look at the bench every possession to see if I was coming out,” Clark said. “It was the first time where I felt good, where I was comfortable playing basketball again. That’s something that I’m looking for.”

Clark has received interest from a number of teams since free agency started three weeks ago, but he continues to weigh his options. He understands that this is an important year for him and he wants to make sure he lands in the right situation, one that will allow him to showcase his skill set and salvage his career. For the first time since he was drafted in 2009, Clark found himself unemployed during a season when he was waived last March. He doesn’t want to end up on the outside of the NBA looking in again, which is why he’s taking his time with this free agency decision and carefully considering every opportunity.

“I’ve been hearing from a few teams, but it’s not anything that I’m jumping at right now,” Clark said. “It’s been different, man. I’ve been a free agent a few times and this summer seems like it’s going in slow motion. I’m just giving it time and going through the process. I just want the right situation and the opportunity to play. That’s all I want – the opportunity to get out there, play, help the team and prove myself again.”

When Clark entered the NBA, he was just a kid. Now, he has grown up, started a family and is very different from the player who began his career in Phoenix. The 26-year-old is married with two kids, and he says that he has really matured in recent years.

“I’ve grown a lot,” Clark said. “When I first came in to the league, I was just eager to get on the floor and play and prove myself. I wasn’t really thinking about the business aspect of basketball, the other side of it. Now it’s different, having a family, being married. I’m 26. I was younger then. When you come into the league, you’re 21 or 22 years old. At 26 years old, the life you live is different. You grow up fast. It’s just a whole different way of life; it’s just different now. I’m different, and I see the game differently now. It’s slowing down for me.”

Clark has been training every day, bulking up and working on his jump shot.

“I’ve been training down here at a local gym where I live; it’s been basically what I do every summer,” Clark said. “I’m continuing to shoot and work on my game. The thing that I did more this summer is that I tried to get a lot stronger. I usually don’t lift as much in the summertime, but I tried to dedicate time to working on my body. That’s really something that I’m into. Other than that, I’m just getting up a lot of shots, trying to improve my three-point percentage every year like I always do.”

While the last year has been tough for Clark, he still has a lot to offer a team.

“I feel like I play both sides of the ball, I can definitely guard anybody out there on the floor, I can rebound with the best of them and I can play multiple positions,” Clark said when asked why a team should sign him. “I’m a stretch-four or a three, wherever you want to play me. I run the floor. I’ve been here six years, I feel like I showed a lot of what I can do when the opportunity and the minutes are given. I’m just looking for somebody to give me that and to believe in me.”

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/earl- ... al-summer/
Kobe8Fan

Richard Hamilton Wants To Play In 2014-15

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:42 am

Richard Hamilton Wants To Play In 2014-15

Do you see yourself playing again in the NBA?

Richard Hamilton: “Yeah, yeah. I think for me, personally, I have to see how my body responds after the summer. I want to play another year and hopefully get an opportunity to play on a team with a chance to win a title. … I’ve had a couple calls from teams.”

via David Alarcon of HoopsHype

Last offseason, the Chicago Bulls waived Richard Hamilton and he became an unrestricted free agent. Surprisingly, he remained unsigned for the entire 2013-14 season and it seemed like his career might be over.

Now, Hamilton says that he decided to take that time off to be around his family and let his body heal. He also used this time to see if he wanted to continue playing.

He says he received interest from several teams, but that he wanted to take a year off. He admitted that he considered retirement, but says that he wants to play one more season before hanging ‘em up for good.

Hamilton says that a number of teams have expressed interest in him this summer and he hinted that he would be willing to play for the veteran’s minimum since he “made a whole lot of money in my career.”

He wants to join a contender, if possible. It remains to be seen where he’ll land, but the desire to continue playing is still there. He has averaged 16.5 points per game over the course of his 14-year career.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-r ... on-future/
Kobe8Fan

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:29 am

No to Earl. We're booked at the PF position.

I'm not all that interested in Hamilton either. We have Kobe, Young, and Clarkson. Lin can even play some spot minutes at that position too. Even if we could add a veteran SG, I'd sign Ray Allen before I pick him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:51 am

We are booked at the 4. Yes. But not the 3. Not at all. Wes, Young, and X? Not enough strength and length to deal with guys like Durant, Melo, Bron, Marion.

I would absolutely sign a hungary-again Clark to a minimum deal and let him and Wes battle for starting minutes at the 3. Clark is a better defender and rebounder than Wes - despite not being as athletic. Clark can also play the 4 and 5, and not necessarily make it "small ball" when at the 4.

Kobe likes and trusts him. I prefer him at the 3 over Wes, Mbaekwe, Trey, or anyone else we had on the summer team. I actually prefer him to Beasily, because Clark defends and plays his role.

Lin, Nash, Kane (or Jordan Crawford)
Kobe, X, Clarkson
Clark, Swaggy, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

Invite a few others to camp for competition at third-string PG and Center. Still, I like that team of young, versatile, hungry players around Kobe and Nash.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:29 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:We are booked at the 4. Yes. But not the 3. Not at all. Wes, Young, and X? Not enough strength and length to deal with guys like Durant, Melo, Bron, Marion.

I would absolutely sign a hungary-again Clark to a minimum deal and let him and Wes battle for starting minutes at the 3. Clark is a better defender and rebounder than Wes - despite not being as athletic. Clark can also play the 4 and 5, and not necessarily make it "small ball" when at the 4.

Kobe likes and trusts him. I prefer him at the 3 over Wes, Mbaekwe, Trey, or anyone else we had on the summer team. I actually prefer him to Beasily, because Clark defends and plays his role.

Kobe, X, Clarkson
Clark, Swaggy, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

Invite a few others to camp for competition at third-string PG and Center. Still, I like that team of young, versatile, hungry players around Kobe and Nash.

I would definitely consider bringing back Clark and playing him at the 3. I hated to see him go. He was one of a few bright spots during the MDA era. I have never been sold on Wes and i think Clark would definitely be an upgrade.
ElginTheGreat

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:We are booked at the 4. Yes. But not the 3. Not at all. Wes, Young, and X? Not enough strength and length to deal with guys like Durant, Melo, Bron, Marion.

Kobe, X, Clarkson
Clark, Swaggy, Wes
Randle, Kelly, Boozer
Hill, Davis, Sacre

We won't field a full roster, we never do.

And your PF rotation is just not going to happen that way man. No way they give Boozer 3rd fiddle. He's a veteran guy who just averaged 13/7 or something on a good team. I can see his minutes being scaled down, but certainly not 3rd fiddle to a rookie and a sophomore.

The last move for the Lakers should be adding wing depth, not size. I like Earl and I think he could provide some good depth, but I think a 1/2 or a 2/3 is a more urgent need.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 am

I don't see why we'd sign anyone other than a PG.. Nash is going to be lucky to play 10 games & Clarkson is a SG.. & don't give me this nonsense about X playing out of position. He can do it in a pinch if he has to but planning for him to be a PG is a recipe for disaster. We have 1 PG basically.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

LakersN4 wrote:I don't see why we'd sign anyone other than a PG.. Nash is going to be lucky to play 10 games & Clarkson is a SG.. & don't give me this nonsense about X playing out of position. He can do it in a pinch if he has to but planning for him to be a PG is a recipe for disaster. We have 1 PG basically.

It's not nonsense to play Henry out of position if we have a system in place offensively that doesn't require traditional PG sets. Not to mention Henry did a good job of controlling the ball/tempo when he was given the task.

That being said, I think we need another 1/2 as well. I think Henry is capable of doing it (as in it's not nonsense to think he can), but I'd rather have a more traditional set up than that.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of vet PGs left out there to pick from. Ridnour anyone?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 am

It would've been nice to get a starting caliber SF, instead of Wes, but he will do. As long as he focuses on defense...and doesn't foul jumpshooters.

But I think a veteran backup PG would be ideal behind Lin. As much as I like Clarkson, he's more of a 1/2 than a true PG.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby jlkr on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 am

I agree, the last signing will have to be a PG for vet minimum. Otherwise not enough depth given the issues around Nash, Clarkson and Henry. Kobe at PG, anyone? Kobe could do it, in fact, he did it for a bit during MDA's first year, but I'm not a fan of that approach. The guy is old, let's not run him into the ground.

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/Young
Henry/Johnson
Boozer/Randle/Kelly
Hill/Sacre/Ed Clark

That's 13 right there. Lakers are filled up at the 4 and 5. Also Kobe and Young can play the 3 as well as the 2. Heck, we might see either Kelly or Randle dropping down to 3 once in awhile. So need for someone like Earl Clark not that big a deal. Think it's going to end up being 3 by committee. The real big hole on the roster is the PG position behind Lin. Need a 3rd string PG a lot more than need someone like Earl Clark.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:37 am

I've been watching Earl Clark since he was in Orlando before he came over to the Lakers...Pincus used the term 'float' for Wesley Johnson to describe at play at times during last season, and I'll use the same term for Earl Clark. They tend to give you stretches where they contribute and then all of a sudden they'll disappear. It's been a pattern with Clark since his days in Orlando and it even happened here in Los Angeles toward the end of the 2012 season. I believe we attributed his lack of contribution to 'hitting a wall' but the reality is that's been Earl's pattern his whole career. Same for Wesley...I don't think we need two guys on this roster that 'float.' We have enough concerns over injury issues, and I don't think we need anybody checking out mentally during the season.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby frankdtank on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 am

^^^Agree 100%. What PGs are still out there?
frankdtank

Postby lotus on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:53 am

lukewaltonsdad wrote:I've been watching Earl Clark since he was in Orlando before he came over to the Lakers...Pincus used the term 'float' for Wesley Johnson to describe at play at times during last season, and I'll use the same term for Earl Clark. They tend to give you stretches where they contribute and then all of a sudden they'll disappear. It's been a pattern with Clark since his days in Orlando and it even happened here in Los Angeles toward the end of the 2012 season. I believe we attributed his lack of contribution to 'hitting a wall' but the reality is that's been Earl's pattern his whole career. Same for Wesley...I don't think we need two guys on this roster that 'float.' We have enough concerns over injury issues, and I don't think we need anybody checking out mentally during the season.

"Float" is just a matter of a player not fitting in or not knowing where he fits in. Earl is capable, he just probably didn't understand his role. I can't blame him considering the circus he played under here. Same with Wes. Remember at times he played the "Stretch 4".

It all comes down to the competency of the coaching staff and their ability to use players in the right way that plays to that players abilities. We don't have a damn coach, or coaching staff, yet, so who knows what will happen. But judging these guys on MDA's or Brown's watch probably doesn't do them justice.
lotus

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 am

frankdtank wrote:^^^Agree 100%. What PGs are still out there?

Available guards:

Jerryd Bayless
Leandro Barbosa
Shannon Brown
Ronnie Brewer
James Andersen
Rasual Butler
Jordan Crawford
Jared Cunningham
Toney Douglas
Chris Douglas-Roberts
Francisco Garcia
Mike James
Doron Lamb
Shelvin Mack
E'Twaun Moore
Toure Murray
Ronnie Price
Ramon Sessions
Luke Ridnour
Peyton Siva
Mo Williams
Earl Watson
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:59 am

Not the best options but if it's between Wes and Earl I think Earl is just a tad better. Not saying much tho.
D.B. Cooper

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am

Crawford would be nice but it seems like he's going to go to a contender. He had his season of putting up stats on a team that wasn't great last year.
LakersN4

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am

lotus wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:I've been watching Earl Clark since he was in Orlando before he came over to the Lakers...Pincus used the term 'float' for Wesley Johnson to describe at play at times during last season, and I'll use the same term for Earl Clark. They tend to give you stretches where they contribute and then all of a sudden they'll disappear. It's been a pattern with Clark since his days in Orlando and it even happened here in Los Angeles toward the end of the 2012 season. I believe we attributed his lack of contribution to 'hitting a wall' but the reality is that's been Earl's pattern his whole career. Same for Wesley...I don't think we need two guys on this roster that 'float.' We have enough concerns over injury issues, and I don't think we need anybody checking out mentally during the season.

"Float" is just a matter of a player not fitting in or not knowing where he fits in. Earl is capable, he just probably didn't understand his role. I can't blame him considering the circus he played under here. Same with Wes. Remember at times he played the "Stretch 4".

It all comes down to the competency of the coaching staff and their ability to use players in the right way that plays to that players abilities. We don't have a damn coach, or coaching staff, yet, so who knows what will happen. But judging these guys on MDA's or Brown's watch probably doesn't do them justice.

I hear you...I just don't agree with it. Clark was a castoff in Phoenix before he ended up being traded to Orlando to a better situation that could have helped his career. He played under Stan Van Gundy who is a very good coach, IMO. Earl had stretches where he showed potential; then he fizzled out. He came here in the DH trade, had a good run, then again, fizzled out.

On the other hand, I'll give Wesley the benefit of the doubt. It could be the system, not knowing his role, not knowing if he was going to play, etc...however, his pattern throughout his career has been the same one as Earl coincidentally, IMO. High draft lottery pick, shows potential during the season, then checks out mentally.

We don't have a talent laden roster to cover up for any of these guys. Unfortunately, we had to bring Wes back, and I for one don't want too exacerbate the problem by giving another roster spot to Earl. I know the need for wing depth on this team, but IMO, he's just not worth it.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:10 am

therealdeal wrote:

Available guards:

Jerryd Bayless
Ronnie Brewer
Jordan Crawford
Ronnie Price
Ramon Sessions
Luke Ridnour
Mo Williams
Earl Watson

Shortened the list of guys I'd actually take.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Available guards:

Jerryd Bayless
Ronnie Brewer
Jordan Crawford
Ronnie Price
Ramon Sessions
Luke Ridnour
Mo Williams
Earl Watson

Shortened the list of guys I'd actually take.

I'd pass on Ronnie and Earl. We won't have a real shot at Crawford or Mo.

I'd also include Toney Douglas on that list.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 1bartg22 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 am

Clark and Marshall had a similar fate. Both came out of nowhere and balled up. But as soon as opposing teams figured them out, they faded back into obscurity. Marshall isn't a big loss IMO. Dude was having scoreless games towards the end of last season. He was ineffective, and I'm glad that Clarkson is now going to have a chance to get some major minutes. He's going to be a star IMO. Dude has all the tools to be a great PG in this league.

As for Clark, I wouldn't mind bringing him back on the vet min. He has skills, but when given major minutes, he does in fact "float", much like Wes Johnson. If Wes and Clark would share minutes, I think we'd be OK at SF. And if Kobe goes down again, which I think he will, then Henry is a good 3rd option at SG. He needs to have his minutes limited, because of his playing style, he's always at risk for an injury.
1bartg22

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion