Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Alex Kennedy: Some veteran free agents are waiting until the last minute to sign so they can skip training camp and preseason:

There are still plenty of notable free agents available including Josh Howard, Kenyon Martin, Mickael Pietrus, Derek Fisher, Gilbert Arenas, Maurice Evans, Michael Redd and Mike Bibby.

While some of these veterans are holding out for better offers (such as a deal that's fully guaranteed or worth more than the minimum), some are simply waiting for training camp and preseason play to end before inking their next contract. There aren't many veterans who enjoy going through a grueling camp or lengthy preseason, which is why they're waiting until the last minute to join a team.

Don't be surprised if a number of these veterans sign just before the start of the regular season. about 12 hours ago
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Arenas / Redd / Pietrus / Martin......4 million dollars total (all vet.min)

Blake / Duhon / Morris / Clark.....~10 million dollars total

Cruel world we live in these days. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Pietrus would have been a solid addition for us. I'd take Arenas over Duhon/Morris too

Barnes have been looking good so far for the clippers. I know we have Ebanks now but Barnes with Nash sometimes would have looked great
Ariza3

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:51 pm

If you want a true point guard who can bring instant energy & facilitate the offense...this guy is still available

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Balance&Options24 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 pm

I always wanted to see Boykins in P&G.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby nthydro on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:37 am

Doc Brown wrote:Arenas / Redd / Pietrus / Martin......4 million dollars total (all vet.min)

Blake / Duhon / Morris / Clark.....~10 million dollars total

Cruel world we live in these days. :man10:

10 mill...WOW. The sad thing is 3 of those guys wouldn't even make most teams and Blake is a 3rd string PG. With all the vets that were available for cheap this summer, we could've fielded a nice bench :man1:
nthydro

Postby Finwë on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:48 am

The Rock wrote:If you want a true point guard who can bring instant energy & facilitate the offense...this guy is still available

I've always liked Boykins.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:53 am

Give me Redd, Martin, Pietrus and possibly Boykins. It's too bad we hardly have any room on the roster as it is, unless ownership decides to buy out Morris/Clark and finds a way get rid of Duhon.
XXIV

Postby Center Court on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:36 pm

XXIV wrote:Give me Redd, Martin, Pietrus and possibly Boykins. It's too bad we hardly have any room on the roster as it is, unless ownership decides to buy out Morris/Clark and finds a way get rid of Duhon.

If there was a way to dump Clark, gl0ck, Morris, Duhon and add Martin, Pietrus, Arenas... I'd be ecstatic.

However, I do see this roster as pretty much set. Just time to clean up the fat.
Center Court

Postby The Rock on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:06 pm

If Mitch and Jim are serious about upgrading the Point Guard position they may have to give a look to Jonny Flynn he got released by Detroit

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:57 am

Flynn isn't anything to rave about...but he is better than Blake.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Balance&Options24 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 am

Barbosa was waiting to hear from the Los Angeles Lakers when he decided to take the Celtics’ bid. “The Lakers were interested in me, but I think Boston would be better for me,” he said. “I don’t know why. My agent, we had that talk and he said it would be great for me to be here. It’s the kind of situation I’m looking for, especially to play with Rondo. He likes to run, and I love to run, so I think it will work really well. “There were talks, a lot of talks of (the Lakers) and my agent. And I had a lot of talk with Steve (Nash). We are kind of close as friends. But nothing happened, so it happened here.” Boston Herald
Balance&Options24

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 am

We definitely need to get a backup PG. If Nash's ankle turn didn't put the fear of you know who into you then I don't know what will. Can you imagine what happens if Nash gets hurt this season? Or post season? Blake at starting PG? :hurl:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:00 am

Gilbert Arenas - G - Grizzlies Gilbert Arenas is "close to signing" a one-year contract to play in China, a source tells Yahoo! Sports.
Arenas would play for the Guangdong Southern Tigers. He previously flirted with the idea of going to China, and with no interest in his services stateside, he'll likely join Tracy McGrady abroad next season.
Source: Marc J. Spears on Twitter Oct 22 - 1:29 PM
Balance&Options24

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm

^^^Well goddammit. Its a mistake to not pick him up. He literally could walk onto the team cause he knows the Princeton offense and has plenty of chemistry with Jamison and Coach Jordan.

The ankle scare of Nash really scared me and even Kobe in the postgame interviews kept mentioning that the bench needs to hold their own. Jamison has been pedestrian off the bench and Arenas would definitely help him get better looks.

The bench is really vital for this team since our vets do need time to rest so that they are fresher come the postseason. Management needs to invest a little more into our bench. It makes me feel good that Barbosa mentioned that we were interested in him, so that does show that we might be trying to get something done...but finding a capable backup PG should go right to the top of remaining priorities especially since it would be wrong to demand 30+ from Nash for the majority of this coming season.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Lets get rid of Morris along with one of Blake/Duhon, and pickup KMart and Pietrus or Redd. The bench needs help.
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Terrence Williams got waived as well. I'd take him playing the point, as a point forward, over Chris Darius-Blake.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby nthydro on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Terrence Williams got waived as well. I'd take him playing the point, as a point forward, over Chris Darius-Blake.

At this point I think the more appropriate question would be "Who wouldn't you take over our back PGs?"
nthydro

Postby Center Court on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:38 am

I'm gonna just pray for um!!!...perception is not reality!!!..real is real...in any language,culture...and what's wrong is what's wrong!!

Just ask u to talk with me....I'm a grown man...that's not above logic and reason...Before u go to the papers wit false information.

If I'm not what u lookin 4 ....That's fine...just dont kick me in my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] on the way out the door....I didn't do anything to deserve that..

I love the city of Dallas..I love playin in the NBA...no I'm not off my meds...no I ain't on no bipolar trip...this real people lives..

And it just ain't right..imma leave it at that..no ill will towards no one...I'm just sittin here across from the arena wit tear in my eyes

That's Delton West's twitter... looks like he's suspended again. Maybe he'll see a cut?

If so, I hope Mitch is ready to pounce.

Hill/Jamison/Ebanks/Meeks/West :jam2:
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:40 am

Come to LA now please and thank you.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am

I don't know that I want West after he's been suspended twice and if he gets waived, sounds like asking for trouble.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:47 am

Weezy wrote:I don't know that I want West after he's been suspended twice and if he gets waived, sounds like asking for trouble.

C'mon man, you'd pass on a guy that's just in another class from the backup guards we've got outside of maybe Meeks?

In LA he'd have more opportunities for treatment, he'd be in a great environment, and he'd have the kind of leaders that can keep a guy like him on track.

And worst case scenario: we get a guy who's more useful than Blake/Duhon for the majority of the year, minus suspensions.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 am

Weezy wrote:I don't know that I want West after he's been suspended twice and if he gets waived, sounds like asking for trouble.

I would sign him ASAP. He would make our bench a lot better. And you have guys like Kobe/Nash/Pau to keep him in check.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 am

I'm in with West.

It's as win-win situation for us. Nothing to lose, nothing.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Center Court on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Who knows if he'd actrually get released... Cuban is always about not giving into a player's emotional needs or wants and he probably knows the Lakers would be Delonte's next spot. Would he be okay with that?

But if he is available for signing, I'd hope we can sign him. Big, great defender, shooter, semi-smart on the court
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion