Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Ah, he'll probably do alright. Try to irritate people on D, flop more, shoot some threes. Seriously, he'll be fine.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Jared Zwerling: Talking to league insiders, I'm hearing these names are being mentioned in trade talks within league circles (a lot of talk right now): A. Afflalo, T. Ariza, C. Singleton, G. Davis, R. Evans, P. Gasol, T. Gibson, C. Landry, G. Monroe, A. Rivers, T. Sefolosha and G. Vasquez.

Other than Afflalo, Big Baby, Gibson, Landry and Rivers, all of these guys are essentially expiring contracts. The ones that have qualifying offers (Singleton, Monroe, Vasquez) are probably assets LA would like to get a hold of.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Monroe? Only thing I see Detroit wanting is a first round pick.

Pau to Phoenix. Emeka and Monroe to LA. Phoenix's first round pick + Hill to Detroit?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:12 pm

That would be an easy "do it, Mitch" right there.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:16 pm

I'd love to get a 1st from PHX and throw it Afflalo or Monroe. That would be awesome.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I'd love to get a 1st from PHX and throw it Afflalo or Monroe. That would be awesome.

That would be amazing. Send Pau and any throw in they want besides Marshall to Phoenix, picks and a throw in if they want one from us to Detroit, and send Monroe here...

That'd be amazing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:22 am

That would be well beyond anything I expected.. Hats off to Mitch if he pulls something like that out of nowhere.
LakersN4

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Kyle Lowry. What is wrong with this guy? He is solid defensively and averages 16.6 and 7.5 on a team that is actually winning. He's also only 27. No one is really talking about him as even a second tier free agent. Does he have major character flaws?
Savory Griddles

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:Kyle Lowry. What is wrong with this guy? He is solid defensively and averages 16.6 and 7.5 on a team that is actually winning. He's also only 27. No one is really talking about him as even a second tier free agent. Does he have major character flaws?

People have talked about trading for Lowry for years here, if it's stopped it's probably because they feel it's not likely or realistic. As for a free agent singing, I didn't even know he was going to be one, and if people haven't mentioned him maybe they feel we need a wing or big ahead of a PG, that seems to be most of the discussion around here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Weezy wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:Kyle Lowry. What is wrong with this guy? He is solid defensively and averages 16.6 and 7.5 on a team that is actually winning. He's also only 27. No one is really talking about him as even a second tier free agent. Does he have major character flaws?

People have talked about trading for Lowry for years here, if it's stopped it's probably because they feel it's not likely or realistic. As for a free agent singing, I didn't even know he was going to be one, and if people haven't mentioned him maybe they feel we need a wing or big ahead of a PG, that seems to be most of the discussion around here.

When I said no one I wasn't just talking about us here on CL. I'm talking about ALL the NBA fan communities and ESPN, etc.

I think He's a great fit and seemingly could be had for 7-8 million. Obviously it would be dictated by who we draft, but Love and Lowry as our two FA's for the next couple offseasons and a swing player (or Embiid if we get #1) in the draft would be a very solid core, I don't know. Seems like a good moneyball type signing.
Savory Griddles

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Oh, well that I can't say. Maybe it's simply because whenever people talk about the Lakers it's always with huge superstar names, or currently with draft picks and expiring contracts. Or maybe Lowry has indicated he's happy in Toronto. I'd be happy to see him sign here for a reasonable price though, I agree I think that would be a very solid signing for us, you need players like that in addition to stars in order to win.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

I think lots of people are talking about him actually. Many people think he was snubbed for the All-Star game.

As for him coming here, I think we have PGs already. I'm fine with rolling with Farmar/Marshall for the foreseeable future. I'd rather target wings and big men.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

I like Lowry he's always been a solid 2 way player but I'm afraid he's playing himself into a contract we can't afford.. We might be better off sticking with Marshall & Farmar. If Lowry could be had for 6-8M he's one of the better bargains in FA & I'd take him before offering Bledsoe the max.
LakersN4

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm

I was fine with rolling with Farmar and Marshall too until Farmar's leg started "cramping" up last night. I need to see him play out the season without another calf or hamstring injury before I'm ready to say we should keep him on next season. And this is coming from a huge Farmar fan, he needs to show he can stay on the court, because as I said in gameday, we need players, not bodies.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:13 pm

therealdeal wrote:I think lots of people are talking about him actually. Many people think he was snubbed for the All-Star game.

As for him coming here, I think we have PGs already. I'm fine with rolling with Farmar/Marshall for the foreseeable future. I'd rather target wings and big men.

I'm not comfortable with that. I'm comfortable with either one as a backup, but those two being our pg rotation is questionable. Miami has Chalmers and Indiana has Hill, both of which you could make a case for as being on an equal playing field with Farmar and Marshall. (I personally don't think they are, but you could make a case.) But those two pgs have the best and 3rd best player in the NBA respectively along with starting fives that have 3 all-star caliber players each. Every other "elite" team has a better pg than us. Westbrook, Parker, CP3, Lin. And all the second tier teams have better pgs as well: Curry, Lillard, Dragic.

I just don't think we can compete without a very solid pg. Lowry would be the best pg we've had since Nick Van Exel. The draft we get the wing.
Savory Griddles

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:55 pm

It all depends on the offense we're running. Generally speaking, a "normal" coach with Kobe would go through Kobe and not make him a catch and shoot guy in the offense. Kobe creates whether it's his own to players who want to play.

A good PG would be nice, but not necessary with Kobe. Farmar is good because he shoots a good clip from three, but has the ability to finish as well.

What a team with Kobe on it needs is another scorer he can trust. He had that in 2008-2010. Until Pau decided he didn't want to play anymore we saw 2007 Kobe again in 2013, but that didn't fair well with his age. We need someone to share the scoring load. Someone who he can defer to when needed.

Not saying having a good PG is bad, just saying another scorer would be better.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:It all depends on the offense we're running. Generally speaking, a "normal" coach with Kobe would go through Kobe and not make him a catch and shoot guy in the offense. Kobe creates whether it's his own to players who want to play.

A good PG would be nice, but not necessary with Kobe. Farmar is good because he shoots a good clip from three, but has the ability to finish as well.

What a team with Kobe on it needs is another scorer he can trust. He had that in 2008-2010. Until Pau decided he didn't want to play anymore we saw 2007 Kobe again in 2013, but that didn't fair well with his age. We need someone to share the scoring load. Someone who he can defer to when needed.

Not saying having a good PG is bad, just saying another scorer would be better.

But I think we need to look past Kobe. Kobe has two more seasons. We are not competing for a title next season (unless LBJ inexplicably comes to LA). So the earliest we could compete for a title is 2015 in the last year of Kobe's contract (and likely his career). We need to look at players that will compliment, for the sake of argument, Wiggins and Love, or J. Parker and Love. I don't think we should pass on solidifying our pg position because of the fear of how it will mesh with Kobe.

Kobe has potentially a one year window to do it in 2015...and even then it's an EXTREME long shot that would require us getting some sort of asset for Pau that turned into a contributor, our high pick panning out and being a star in his second year, the signing of a good FA on a reasonable deal (ie Stephenson or Lowry), and then snagging Love in 2015. We'd be spinning a lot of plates to give Kobe one final shot. We can't be stupid enough to continue to try to build solely around Kobe's strengths.
Savory Griddles

Postby earvinfr on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Since no PG on our team or even in the league can stay healthy, we should not put our pick or big FA money on a PG.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:20 am

I think Chris Bosh is gettable and is probably the guy they could realistically go after if he opts out. His game has matured quite a bit and could shoulder much more of the load that, say, four or five years ago. I think he's ready to be more than just the third wheel in Miami. I actually think he's their second most important player, and if he left the Heat I'm not certain that James would be long for Miami, either.
sister golden hair

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 am

Looks like the Lakers could make an offer to Stephenson in the off-season. The link provides a good in depth analysis...I encourage people to read.

The Lakers, Bulls and Bobcats will be among the teams who can and would offer an ample payday and increased opportunity for Stephenson this summer.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... rs-bobcats
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 am

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:21 pm

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:49 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:Looks like the Lakers could make an offer to Stephenson in the off-season. The link provides a good in depth analysis...I encourage people to read.

The Lakers, Bulls and Bobcats will be among the teams who can and would offer an ample payday and increased opportunity for Stephenson this summer.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... rs-bobcats

Too early to ponder who we will offer deals to. It depends completely on our draft position.

If we draft #1 or after 4, we will likely go after Stephenson because we'd be getting a center or pg in the draft (Embiid, Exum, Smart). If we draft 2 or 3 where Wiggins and Parker are likely going, I can't see us going after Stephenson with 2 wings (Kobe and the draft pick) on the roster and we may turn to Lowry, Bledsoe or Monroe.
Savory Griddles

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Stephenson over everything.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Like Stephenson, but I'm not sure the FO gives a concerted effort in pursuing him....I hope they do though.

An allstar appearance would have helped, but I really think LA will be cornered into a wall to bring in proven star power. TWC ratings have fallen by 35%. I'm sure those cable execs will be pressuring LA to bring in stars to play across Kobe. Bringing in an allstar would have been a good sell...now, I'm not sure it will.

But like I said, I hope the FO proves me wrong. Stephenson's maturity/attitude could be an issue, but with Kobe and hopefully a coach not named MDA can harness it and use it the right way. He would be a great 2nd tier option for the roster.

I still believe the FO is looking for a star...maybe they feel they got a shot at Lebron, which is why Melo is no longer a priority. But just like Nash, they are probably going to go hard at "names" in the game.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion