Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah, that's going to be difficult. It's Pau or nothing at this point. That's our only asset.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Wouldn't want Granger unless we're signing him as a FA outright for a reduced rate...either way, I'd rather make a play for Stephenson or Deng this offseason...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:07 pm

I preferred Deng over Granger too, until Deng turned down a 3/30 extension.. We're looking at having to give Deng 11-12M, possibly the same for Stephenson.. After the last 2 seasons Granger has had & with all the questions surrounding his health, I'd be surprised if he gets more than 2/16 with the 2nd being a team option.. & even that might be generous.. Those are the type of bargain deals we need to make with no true superstars on the market imo.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Two straight injury plagued seasons, no thanks to signing a guy that will continue that streak.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 pm

76ers Waive Earl Clark

Keith Pompey ‏@PompeyOnSixers 1h

Now that was fast. #Sixers waive Earl Clark hours after acquiring him in a trade with the Cleveland #Cavaliers.

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/stat ... 4312225792

That was quick.
Kobe8Fan

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:28 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:
76ers Waive Earl Clark

Keith Pompey ‏@PompeyOnSixers 1h

Now that was fast. #Sixers waive Earl Clark hours after acquiring him in a trade with the Cleveland #Cavaliers.

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/stat ... 4312225792

That was quick.

Wouldn't mind bringing Earl back.. Better than Williams atleast.
LakersN4

Postby trodgers on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:29 am

Happy to bring back Clark on a prorated minimum deal. We could use a big.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:21 am

We have 15 players after the Blake trade though, someone would have to be waived.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:02 am

Weezy wrote:We have 15 players after the Blake trade though, someone would have to be waived.

Shawne Williams ' 10-day contract with the Lakers expires Sunday, leaving him a free agent on his 28th birthday.
:man1:
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 am

Williams is already off the team.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:17 am

Doc is correct as usual.. As much as I liked Earl playing under D'antoni, I'm not sure he's worth waiving a player & spending on.. I thought we could add him after Williams' 10 day was up.
LakersN4

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:36 am

I liked what he gave us. I know he got a good deal out of it and under-performed elsewhere, but he could fill a nice hole next year as a back up PF and even spot minutes as a center or SF. Like Brooks, Young, and Henry - I think playing with Kobe in P&G (work ethic and competitiveness/edge) in MDA's system with Exum, Marshall, and Farmar will bring out the best in Clark, for cheap. Like with Ariza, his best and most productive fit was with our Chip teams (despite a few high-scoring games in Houston).

I just hope we can sign-and-trade Gasol and Hill for a late first-round pick this summer.

Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Stephenson (even if it takes 12-13 million), Young, Henry, Brooks
Kobe, Young, McDermott (or Warren from NC State)
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham
Monroe, Sacre, LO (back and motivated - i.e., off drugs)

Again, I would rather have Monroe and Stephenson to build around with Young, Exum, Henry, Kelly etc. than Kevin Love.

The team above is great for MDA, or for a guy like Tom Thibs.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:35 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I liked what he gave us. I know he got a good deal out of it and under-performed elsewhere, but he could fill a nice hole next year as a back up PF and even spot minutes as a center or SF. Like Brooks, Young, and Henry - I think playing with Kobe in P&G (work ethic and competitiveness/edge) in MDA's system with Exum, Marshall, and Farmar will bring out the best in Clark, for cheap. Like with Ariza, his best and most productive fit was with our Chip teams (despite a few high-scoring games in Houston).

I just hope we can sign-and-trade Gasol and Hill for a late first-round pick this summer.

Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham

Again, I would rather have Monroe and Stephenson to build around with Young, Exum, Henry, Kelly etc. than Kevin Love.

Why not Love/Stephenson? That can work. Monroe has not shown any improvement since last season. He's a solid big, but Kevin Love is a top 5 or 6 player.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I liked what he gave us. I know he got a good deal out of it and under-performed elsewhere, but he could fill a nice hole next year as a back up PF and even spot minutes as a center or SF. Like Brooks, Young, and Henry - I think playing with Kobe in P&G (work ethic and competitiveness/edge) in MDA's system with Exum, Marshall, and Farmar will bring out the best in Clark, for cheap. Like with Ariza, his best and most productive fit was with our Chip teams (despite a few high-scoring games in Houston).

Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham

I'm confused about how our money is spent. This summer we'll have Nash (3), Kobe (23.5), Sacre (1), Marshall (1), and Kelly (1) and that's already 29.5 million. McDermott and Exum will total probably near 5 million and we're at 34.5 million.

Spend 12 on Stephenson that's 46.5 million.
That leaves roughly 14.5 million or so for the rest...
How much does it take to get Monroe?
Henry, Young, and Farmar probably aren't sticking around for the minimum.
I don't know who Brooks is... (Aaron?)

I don't want Lamar Odom around... but that's another thing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Danny Granger 'Pissed' When Told Of Trade, Could Sign With Heat Or Spurs

Jake Fischer ‏@JakeLFischer 3h

Danny Granger was "pissed" when he learned he was traded to the Sixers, per league source.

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status ... 7348937728

Jake Fischer ‏@JakeLFischer 3h

Many around the league expect Danny Granger to sign with either the Miami Heat or San Antonio Spurs once the Sixers buy him out.

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status ... 9513226240
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Charlie Villanueva Hopeful Of Buyout From Pistons

Vincent Goodwill
The Detroit News

Auburn Hills — Trade season is over, which means the present Pistons roster will be what you see for the rest of the regular season, right?

Not exactly, if Charlie Villanueva gets a buyout of the remaining amount of his contract, enabling him to latch onto another team where he might get more minutes. His expiring contract didn't fetch the suitors the Pistons believed it would — a league-wide trend, actually — but a buyout is another option.

“Anything’s possible. Right now, it is what it is,” Villanueva said. “I wish I could help this team in any way possible, but they’re going in a different direction. It’s part of the business, but if it presented itself, that’s something we’d look at, for sure.”

Villanueva’s close friend, former Piston Austin Daye, got a second chance when the Toronto Raptors traded him at the deadline to the San Antonio Spurs, a franchise that has put D-Leaguers like Danny Green on the map.

The two talked Thursday, and Villanueva reminded Daye he has an opportunity in front of him, probably one Villanueva would love to have.

“I’m so happy for him. So happy,” Villanueva said. “He’s on one of the better teams in the league and he’s gonna get an opportunity to give him a chance. I told him, ‘This is your chance to shine. Everybody can forget about what happens in the past if you shine now.’”

Orlando’s Glen Davis had been on the trade market, but when the buzzer sounded on the deadline Thursday afternoon, he and the Magic negotiated a buyout on the remaining $13 million owed Davis over the next two seasons.

Considering half the season is over, more than two-thirds of the $8.5 million due Villanueva has already been paid. He also hasn’t made a public stink about not getting minutes, so there’s probably a little hope his professionalism will earn himself a “get out of a jail free” card in the coming future.

It probably makes sense for both parties to part ways at this point.

The Pistons could save a little money and Villanueva would likely give up some cash in the hopes to set himself up for a contract next season.

The two sides have until March 1 to negotiate a buyout, giving Villanueva enough time to find a team.

Villanueva has been around for plenty of foolishness since his arrival. He was one of the few players who didn’t participate in a team boycott of a 2011 shoot-around in Philadelphia a day after the trade deadline.

“I’ve thought about that (stuff). But there’s always a right and wrong way to do things, and I’ll always do the right thing,” Villanueva said. “I’m a professional. It’s a privilege to play in this league. My situation ain’t so bright right now.”

With the Pistons going back to the Will Bynum-Andre Drummond combination, Villanueva could be valuable on that second unit because he at least poses the threat of shooting, which spreads the floor.

Bynum has certainly been vocal about the benefits of playing Villanueva, who has played more than 10 minutes just seven times this season and only appeared in 14 games.

“I’m not gonna say nothing,” Villanueva said. “As players we talk about it. Has it been looked at? No. But I feel like it’s something that can definitely work.”

But he’s not counting on a look.

“Can it (work)? For sure. I want to play. I want to help this team win. If it’s not here, then I’m still young, I have a lot of years of playing left. I want to play.”

After reiterating several times he’s not a coach, Villnueva said he’s “past frustration. I’ve just accepted it. It’s part of the business.

“It’s hard because I love this game. I’m very passionate about the game. You have to come to grips. They’ve made their decision, it doesn’t matter what I do in practice, what work I put in.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... get-buyout
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Ben Gordon and Bobcats Talk Buyout

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 39m

Charlotte is engaged in contract buyout discussions with Ben Gordon, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 1092804608
Kobe8Fan

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham

I'm confused about how our money is spent. This summer we'll have Nash (3), Kobe (23.5), Sacre (1), Marshall (1), and Kelly (1) and that's already 29.5 million. McDermott and Exum will total probably near 5 million and we're at 34.5 million.

Spend 12 on Stephenson that's 46.5 million.
That leaves roughly 14.5 million or so for the rest...
How much does it take to get Monroe?
Henry, Young, and Farmar probably aren't sticking around for the minimum.
I don't know who Brooks is... (Aaron?)

I don't want Lamar Odom around... but that's another thing.

Hey Real - good questions. My thinking was 10 or 11 for Monroe. Some team may offer him more, or Det could match, but unless someone offers him a max deal, he could push to get his way here. Farmar - not much more than the minimum. Same with Henry. Young - a good chunk (or maybe all) of the MLE.

Clark for the minimum.

Also wouldn't be opposed to signing Hawes for 10 mill or a little less.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Forward Luol Deng's reluctance to commit to a long-term extension with any team before July free agency makes it unlikely that the Cleveland Cavaliers can find a willing trade partner before Thursday's NBA deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Cavaliers have had conversations with several teams, including Dallas, Detroit and Indiana about Deng, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Nevertheless, there's no traction on a deal and no team seems inclined to give up valuable assets for a player who could walk away in free agency.

Deng is determined to investigate free agency in July before making a decision to stay with Cleveland, sources said.

Cleveland has tried to get a sense of Deng's openness to re-signing this summer, and Deng has expressed a willingness to consider the possibility, league sources said. Deng has yet to play at a high level in Cleveland, where he's found a young team in flux, a significant contrast from the structure and stability of the Chicago Bulls.

Deng will be seeking a free-agent contract in the range of $12 million to $13 million a year this summer, and Cleveland's maintaining of his Bird Rights allows the Cavs to give him a five-year extension with annual raises. Acting Cleveland general manager David Griffin has been gauging Deng's interest in recent days with teams, as ESPN first reported.

Deng had been believed to be a top free-agent priority of the Los Angeles Lakers, but there's increasing doubt within the league about whether L.A. will use its salary cap space to make a run at him.

Cleveland traded for Deng on Jan. 7 for a package that included three future draft picks and the contract of Andrew Bynum.

We were believed to be going after Deng but it looks like that has changed; we do need a two way player. This probably means that we go harder after Stephenson, IMO. Two-way player, younger, less injury prone.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 pm

I'd throw $12 mill at Bledsoe 1st before Stevenson....dude getting to much much for this half of a season of decent play....same could be argued bout Bledsoe 1/4 of a good season but a PG that cant get into the paint at will would be a great weapon. For the 10-12milll range I want a player that can be #2 and #1 at times when things get rough, I dont see that out of Stevenson, he's like a very good #3 at best.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:42 pm

khmrP wrote:I'd throw $12 mill at Bledsoe 1st before Stevenson....dude getting to much much for this half of a season of decent play....same could be argued bout Bledsoe 1/4 of a good season but a PG that cant get into the paint at will would be a great weapon. For the 10-12milll range I want a player that can be #2 and #1 at times when things get rough, I dont see that out of Stevenson, he's like a very good #3 at best.

Depends on where we draft, but give me Stephenson. He just has that LA type of game- flashy and productive.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:I'd throw $12 mill at Bledsoe 1st before Stevenson....dude getting to much much for this half of a season of decent play....same could be argued bout Bledsoe 1/4 of a good season but a PG that cant get into the paint at will would be a great weapon. For the 10-12milll range I want a player that can be #2 and #1 at times when things get rough, I dont see that out of Stevenson, he's like a very good #3 at best.

Depends on where we draft, but give me Stephenson. He just has that LA type of game- flashy and productive.

Bledose is pretty flash and productive to me, we've always had issues guarding quick PG, Bledsoe is a monster on that end.
khmrP

Postby OX1947 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Mason & Ireland talking about how to get LeBron:
Quote:
If the Lakers want LeBron, they should setup a meeting when LeBron does his FA tour, so when he comes to LA waiting for him inside a room is Phil Jackson.

Phil Jackson tells LeBron: "LeBron, I have no interest in coaching long term. But if you, you, come to the Lakers, I will come back out of retirement and help you rebuild the Lakers."

This.
OX1947

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Could we afford BOTH Lance and Bledsoe? Say $12mill for Bled and $10 for Lance. Would it work if we did get Embiid? Thats really athletic, defensive trio...with that scenario is there any cap room left to keep 2 of the 3 we want back in Farmar, Young, Hill? This lineup isn't true championship lvl team but could be fun to watch
Bledsoe
Lance
Kobe
???
Embiid
khmrP

Postby OX1947 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:09 pm

khmrP wrote:Could we afford BOTH Lance and Bledsoe? Say $12mill for Bled and $10 for Lance. Would it work if we did get Embiid? Thats really athletic, defensive trio...with that scenario is there any cap room left to keep 2 of the 3 we want back in Farmar, Young, Hill? This lineup isn't true championship lvl team but could be fun to watch
Bledsoe
Lance
Kobe
???
Embiid

Now that would be a team that could compete right away. Hill at the PF would round that team out perfectly. However, I do not think MDA would be the right coach for Embiid at Center.
OX1947

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion