Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri May 02, 2014 2:20 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:^ I was talking more of the likes of Stephenson, Deng, Ariza, Gortat, Lowry, Hawes, Dirk, Stuckey, Granger, Zach Randoph (player option)

A lot of great role players that can often be the difference between contenders and non contenders

Granger is done ... Deng is about to be on the downside of his career and will ask both too much money and years for his next contract
wcsoldier81

Postby halekulani on Fri May 02, 2014 7:23 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:You lost me completely when you mentioned the Lakers should or could take on Boozer. I do not want him at all in any scenario

qft
halekulani

Postby Center Court on Fri May 02, 2014 11:58 am

IF we are 100% committed to keeping cap space for next season, I'd be into a deal like this.

TPE for Boozer, 16th + 19th picks.

Chicago really wants Melo, this trade allows them to do that. We get a veteran player who can IMO be a good role player still. Let him and Nash expire next season then go for Love. In 2016 let Kobe and Pau (resigned on 2 year deal) expire and go all in for Durant.

2014: High Lotto Pick (Exum) + 16 (Lavine) + 19 (Early) , Coach (Who knows), Core of Bench (Young, Hill, Baze, Farmar, X)
2015: Love
2016: Durant
Center Court

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri May 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Center Court wrote:IF we are 100% committed to keeping cap space for next season, I'd be into a deal like this.

Chicago really wants Melo, this trade allows them to do that. We get a veteran player who can IMO be a good role player still. Let him and Nash expire next season then go for Love. In 2016 let Kobe and Pau (resigned on 2 year deal) expire and go all in for Durant.

2014: High Lotto Pick (Exum) + 16 (Lavine) + 19 (Early) , Coach (Who knows), Core of Bench (Young, Hill, Baze, Farmar, X)
2015: Love
2016: Durant

Actually, they'd want us to take other players I'd think since they can amnesty Boozer. They'd likely want us to take Taj Gibson since he can't be amnestied. They are at 65 million right now and need to get down to roughly 44. Boozer amnestied at 16 with Gibson coming to us gets it done. If we took Jimmy Butler and Dunleavy off their hands, it'd be too close I think.
Savory Griddles

Postby halekulani on Fri May 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Center Court wrote:IF we are 100% committed to keeping cap space for next season, I'd be into a deal like this.

could you really get boozer, 16th, and 19th for TPE? that seems too good to be true.
halekulani

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri May 02, 2014 1:19 pm

halekulani wrote:

could you really get boozer, 16th, and 19th for TPE? that seems too good to be true.

That scenario would probably be in the same talks to getting Thibs. However, we are not giving up our lottery pick. And we're are the 16th and 19th picks coming from?

In this case, we would trade a future draft pick from a nonconsecutive year. Out 2015 and 17 are already gone, so the next one would be 2019.

Boozer + 2019 First Round for Thibs + TPE.

However, why would Melo want to go to Chicago if Thibs is gonna leave?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Center Court on Fri May 02, 2014 5:31 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
halekulani wrote:

That scenario would probably be in the same talks to getting Thibs. However, we are not giving up our lottery pick. And we're are the 16th and 19th picks coming from?

In this case, we would trade a future draft pick from a nonconsecutive year. Out 2015 and 17 are already gone, so the next one would be 2019.

He would not and that's why I excluded Thibs from the discussion. It's really a Boozer + picks (16, 19) for TPE to help them free up the space necessary to sign Melo.

My suggestion only holds weight if we have NO desire to sign anything significant contracts.
Center Court

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri May 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Center Court wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
halekulani wrote:

He would not and that's why I excluded Thibs from the discussion. It's really a Boozer + picks (16, 19) for TPE to help them free up the space necessary to sign Melo.

My suggestion only holds weight if we have NO desire to sign anything significant contracts.

Like I said. More likely they try to dump Jimmy Butler AND Dunleavy OR Taj Gibson. Boozer they can amnesty. The other three they can't. Makes more sense for them to try to dump the other guys. I'd absorb their 16th Dunleavy and Jimmy Butler. Wouldn't take Taj though. He has 3 or 4 years left on that deal.
Savory Griddles

Postby Center Court on Fri May 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
Center Court wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
halekulani wrote:

Like I said. More likely they try to dump Jimmy Butler AND Dunleavy OR Taj Gibson. Boozer they can amnesty. The other three they can't. Makes more sense for them to try to dump the other guys. I'd absorb their 16th Dunleavy and Jimmy Butler. Wouldn't take Taj though. He has 3 or 4 years left on that deal.

They've very recently stated they do not want to amnesty Boozer and much rather trade him. While nit would not count against the cap to amnesty him, they would certainly be paying him (and watching him go play for another team). Butler is a nice piece they seem to be high on... Rose/Butler/Melo is the perimeter they envision

Taj is a nice piece but no way we'd take him on with his 4 year 33MM contract (though we were rumored to be interested at the deadline).

I'm just saying, they will have to move Boozer and I guess you're adding Dunleavy or Taj. So we can take Boozer and let someone else who wants a shooter take Dunleavy. Our goal being to maximize this draft by obtaining picks.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Fri May 02, 2014 7:51 pm

No way they are giving up Jimmy Butler.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Pig Miller on Fri May 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Doc Brown wrote:No way they are giving up Jimmy Butler.

Pretty much.
Pig Miller

Postby Pig Miller on Sat May 03, 2014 7:28 am

Why Wouldn't Chicago just amnesty boozer? No reason to trade 2 picks just to b get him off the books. Your boozer scenario sounds really far fetched
Pig Miller

Postby LakersN4 on Sat May 03, 2014 9:55 am

Pig Miller wrote:Why Wouldn't Chicago just amnesty boozer? No reason to trade 2 picks just to b get him off the books. Your boozer scenario sounds really far fetched

Their owner is cheap & doesn't want to pay Boozer 15M to play somewhere else.. It's been reported that they will try hard to trade him..

While they might not be willing to part with both of those picks, they might include Gibson who they'll need to dump also. We might even be able to get 1 of the picks depending on the other offers they see.. We'd be taking on a TON of salary for them.. Boozer's 16.8M, 3 years of Taj at 3 yrs/25M..

I don't think Gibson has enough positive value to offset eating Boozer's contract. It would have to be a guy performing on their rookie contract like Butler if they don't want to give up any picks, & as others have stated, they aren't giving up Butler.
LakersN4

Postby OX1947 on Sat May 03, 2014 5:47 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I always loved the Lakers playing Utah, with Boozer on the team, in the playoffs. Such an easy matchup.

Boozer and Okur were playing some serious MDA lockdown defense together ... their better way to protect the paint was to foul the opponent

Okur hardly ever played. He was always injured.
OX1947

Postby OX1947 on Sat May 03, 2014 5:50 pm

If they took nash and gave the lakers one 1st rounder, I would do it. At least Boozer would contribute and get rid of 10 game a year Nash and have and get their 2015 1st rounder back. I think that is a fair deal. Reinscheap saves 6 million and rid themselves of Boozer, Lakers rid themselves of Nash and they save themselves from the Nash debacle buy getting one of their draft picks back.
OX1947

Postby LakersN4 on Sat May 03, 2014 6:16 pm

OX1947 wrote:If they took nash and gave the lakers one 1st rounder, I would do it. At least Boozer would contribute and get rid of 10 game a year Nash and have and get their 2015 1st rounder back. I think that is a fair deal. Reinscheap saves 6 million and rid themselves of Boozer, Lakers rid themselves of Nash and they save themselves from the Nash debacle buy getting one of their draft picks back.
I don't think there's any chance of them taking on Nash or any other contract near the size of Gibson's. If anything they would be asking us to take on more salary, they definitely aren't interested in taking contracts back.. They could dump Boozer's contract completely & still not have the $ to make Melo an offer near his max.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Sat May 03, 2014 6:42 pm

The whole point is that they want to shed salary to clear room for Carmelo. They aren't going to take any contract back.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:04 am

given the FA market, I'd totally consider boozer and the 16 for cap space this year. the problem is that the deal couldn't take place before the draft, right? the lakers don't officially have cap space until july. thus, I can't see this happening in a way that gets the lakers the ability to pick the player they want. they'd have to like who Chicago picked already.
abeer3

Postby SK8 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 am

Twitter is blowing up with Greg Monroe, looks like Pistons will let him go...hmmm :man1:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Punk-101 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:40 am

abeer3 wrote:given the FA market, I'd totally consider boozer and the 16 for cap space this year. the problem is that the deal couldn't take place before the draft, right? the lakers don't officially have cap space until july. thus, I can't see this happening in a way that gets the lakers the ability to pick the player they want. they'd have to like who Chicago picked already.

Handshake&wink deals happen at times, I think, where Mitch would tell Chi; "if you draft player X, we have a deal in a couple weeks when we get the cap space."
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed May 14, 2014 10:43 am

therealdeal wrote:The whole point is that they want to shed salary to clear room for Carmelo. They aren't going to take any contract back.

What I don't get is why they are trying to trade Boozer to clear room. They need to be trying to unload like Dunleavy and Jimmy Butler, then amnesty Boozer. Boozer is one of the last remaining players that can be amnestied. I don't know that JUST trading Boozer clears up the room needed for Carmelo. That would only leave like 15 million for Carmelo. I think they need to try and find takers for Dunleavy and Butler (both expirings) or maybe even Taj Gibson. Then they amnesty Boozer to clear the big chunk. I would gladly take Dunleavy and Butler if it meant getting the 16th pick to use on Napier. Dunleavy and Butler could be two solid contributors. Say we get Randle in the draft...resign Pau to a BIG one year deal.

Pau/Sacre/Hill
Randle/Hill/Kelly
Dunleavy/Young
Kobe/Butler
Napier/Marshall/Nash

We could do far, far worse. And that team would have a max slot available for next offseason.
Savory Griddles

Postby LakersN4 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The whole point is that they want to shed salary to clear room for Carmelo. They aren't going to take any contract back.

What I don't get is why they are trying to trade Boozer to clear room. They need to be trying to unload like Dunleavy and Jimmy Butler, then amnesty Boozer. Boozer is one of the last remaining players that can be amnestied. I don't know that JUST trading Boozer clears up the room needed for Carmelo. That would only leave like 15 million for Carmelo. I think they need to try and find takers for Dunleavy and Butler (both expirings) or maybe even Taj Gibson. Then they amnesty Boozer to clear the big chunk. I would gladly take Dunleavy and Butler if it meant getting the 16th pick to use on Napier. Dunleavy and Butler could be two solid contributors. Say we get Randle in the draft...resign Pau to a BIG one year deal.

Pau/Sacre/Hill
Randle/Hill/Kelly
Dunleavy/Young
Kobe/Butler
Napier/Marshall/Nash

We could do far, far worse. And that team would have a max slot available for next offseason.

They have an extremely cheap owner who doesn't want to pay Boozer to play for someone else.. They will give up value to trade him before even considering using amnesty as a last resort. & Butler is the last player on that roster that they will trade.. They will dump Gibson with Boozer before giving up Butler on his rookie contract.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 12:19 pm

^ That. Amnesty makes sense from the outside, but they still have to PAY Boozer that money it just doesn't count against the cap. Their owner has made it known that he's not going to pay one of their higher paid players to go perform somewhere else. That's understandable.

Now they'll have to shed salary the old fashioned way: trade away assets to clear space for Carmelo. That would mean Boozer and Gibson and maybe even a couple smaller deals if they had to. Certainly not Butler though. They love that guy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed May 14, 2014 12:30 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ That. Amnesty makes sense from the outside, but they still have to PAY Boozer that money it just doesn't count against the cap. Their owner has made it known that he's not going to pay one of their higher paid players to go perform somewhere else. That's understandable.

Now they'll have to shed salary the old fashioned way: trade away assets to clear space for Carmelo. That would mean Boozer and Gibson and maybe even a couple smaller deals if they had to. Certainly not Butler though. They love that guy.

Then it'd have to be Boozer and Dunleavy because no one would take Gibson I doubt. He still has three more years. Would 18 million or so be enough to land Carmelo?

Would you take Boozer and Dunleavy if it meant the 16th pick? You'd be essentially locking in our team as:

Sacre/?
Boozer/?
Dunleavy/Young
Kobe/Young
Smart(?)/Marshall/Nash
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm

I might. I would also not draft Smart. I'd rather have a more dynamic player, one with a higher ceiling. If I absolutely have to draft the 6th pick (meaning no Exum, Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, or Randle) then I'll take Vonleh I guess or maybe Gordon. I like Gordon, just not as a legitimate star.

I'd certainly take Boozer, Dunleavy, AND Gibson if it meant getting Thibodeau. Gibson isn't a slouch, the guy is a pretty decent player. He's just got a long contract is all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion